Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:36 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default iPod Touch vs. iPhone...

I hate carrying a lot of things around with me in my pockets and I haven't quite gone the route of man-bag/murse yet. I have found my iPod nano doesn't have the battery life it once did, but more importantly, it doesn't do video.

I had asked for an iPod Touch for Christmas, and while I don't expect to get one, it got me thinking that maybe I should just combine my cellphone and mp3/video player into one device. There is nothing really wrong with my cellphone, but I am eligible for an upgrade. I just don't want to carry an iPod and a cellphone on my pocket.

A lot of people seem to hate the iPhone, calling it the "douche-bag accessory" and what not. However, other than that, I can't see a reason not to get one. I don't use the phone a whole heck of a lot, but it's good to have (though I kind of hate it, being disconnected can be bliss). Since I don't make a tonne of calls or texts, I can't see the battery life being a real issue. I'll always be able to charge it up at night.

Are there any drawbacks to the iPhone I am unaware of? Anyone have an iPhone in Canada? Does Rogers rape you every month? Right now, I pay ~$42 a month for my cell and I would like to keep it at that. I imagine that I would have to pay some retardedly large fee to browse the net on the iPhone. Also, the iPhone costs $300 for a 16 gig and I could just transfer my current plan (afaik anyway). An iPod Touch is $300 for a 16 gig anyway...

Thanks!
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:50 PM   #2
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

Dude, I JUST had to ask myself the same question. I had bought my daughter a nano for xmas and decided that I wanted an ipod too, and me being who I am was of course drawn to the Touch. Looked at it for awhile and said, hey, why not just get an iPhone because I need a new cell anyways, mine's falling apart. I'm already on ATT and I already have the unlimited data plan for my phone so there would be no change at all to my bill.

I went ahead and got the iPhone, have had it since Saturday evening. So far I love it, it's such a neat little gadget. They're the exact same thing as a Touch, but with a phone and a couple more buttons, and I think it's a tad bigger than it and it has a black or white back instead of chrome for the Touch.

You aren't going to be able to keep paying $42. You need to have your regular plan plus the unlimited data plan, which is 30 bucks in the US, so add that onto whatever you're paying now. They won't sell it to you without the unlimited plan.

My only beef is that you have to use iTunes to move stuff onto the phone. Well, I think there are some alternatives but you definitely can't just navigate to the phone and drop stuff on it. iTunes kinda sucks, but isn't horrible. I've gotten used to it and it's no problem for me, I just wish they offered more flexibility.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:53 PM   #3
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drunken Janitor View Post
I hate carrying a lot of things around with me in my pockets and I haven't quite gone the route of man-bag/murse yet. I have found my iPod nano doesn't have the battery life it once did, but more importantly, it doesn't do video.

I had asked for an iPod Touch for Christmas, and while I don't expect to get one, it got me thinking that maybe I should just combine my cellphone and mp3/video player into one device. There is nothing really wrong with my cellphone, but I am eligible for an upgrade. I just don't want to carry an iPod and a cellphone on my pocket.

A lot of people seem to hate the iPhone, calling it the "douche-bag accessory" and what not. However, other than that, I can't see a reason not to get one. I don't use the phone a whole heck of a lot, but it's good to have (though I kind of hate it, being disconnected can be bliss). Since I don't make a tonne of calls or texts, I can't see the battery life being a real issue. I'll always be able to charge it up at night.

Are there any drawbacks to the iPhone I am unaware of? Anyone have an iPhone in Canada? Does Rogers rape you every month? Right now, I pay ~$42 a month for my cell and I would like to keep it at that. I imagine that I would have to pay some retardedly large fee to browse the net on the iPhone. Also, the iPhone costs $300 for a 16 gig and I could just transfer my current plan (afaik anyway). An iPod Touch is $300 for a 16 gig anyway...

Thanks!
this is the main reason why i got an iphone. i hated carrying around my ipod and cell phone. it was too much. now i have a nice slim device, that plays my music, watches video, surf the net, use some apps and even makes phone calls. With the combo mic and headphones, when I get a call, it just click the little button on the headset. No more wrestling between two devices. You cannot go wrong with the iPhone. I'm not sure what's up in Canada, but here, the most basic plan runs about $80 for unlimited data and some minutes, extra $10-15 for texting, so that may not fit in with your monthly amount you want to spend.

Apple's has done with the iPhone no other cell phone maker has been able to do: make one device that is well balanced between software and hardware. Software is easy to use and the hardware is nothing but quality. Apple has been successful and outsells everyone because of this. While Blackberry continues to crank out different models in different configurations, making the previous Blackberry's obsolete, Apple just has just one model that is continuously updated and improved upon, keeping the iPhone models from being obsolete when the next iphone model comes out. I don't care what the haters say on this forum, Apple nailed this perfectly.

Last edited by Razeus : Dec 16, 2008 at 12:59 PM.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:54 PM   #4
Jokerzwild
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jokerzwild is still being judged by the masses

I can't put the damn thing down, it just wraps everything I do up into one nice little package. Internet that's actaully usable despite the small screen, music, movies (the screen looks wonderful), text, email, games, oh and the GPS feature is AWESOME! It is however missing MMS for some odd reason. You can send text messages just not MMS messages... strange, but you can email pics to people.
Old Dec 16, 2008, 12:59 PM   #5
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Ok, I am not willing to spend an extra $60 a month. Just not worth it as a student. I'll go with the inconvenience of two devices. Thanks for the headup on the plans.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Old Dec 16, 2008, 01:15 PM   #6
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I'm not sure what the freakin' deal is with MMS, but they need to implement that. That's like a standard feature, but I guess they are trying to redirect people to use the Mail app. Doesn't make since. Also doesn't make since I can't use it's Bluetooth feature to sync stuff to my Macbook.

I've been wanting the 3G version since it launched, but I held off. I'm hoping Apple announces new models next month at the Expo. Hopefully a 32GB model for $299. I'm not sure what else they can do to the hardware, 3G is pretty much it. I can see them adding video recording capabilities though. That would be wicked. Also a 3-5MP camera with better hardware underneath, because the iPhone camera sucks unless you're in bright lights. Hopefully they'll add, via software/firmware, ability to change basic settings. Other than that, iPhone is all about software at this point.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 16, 2008, 01:27 PM   #7
dreamwalker
valar morghulis

dreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete strangerdreamwalker once held a door open for a complete stranger

It's different in Canada.

For me, when I got my Blackberry I added a data plan via Telus.

With a bit of haggling, unlimited data/e-mail etc came to an additional $15 per month on top of my plan, which was 40. So far, it's been worth it.
dreamwalker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 02:55 PM   #8
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Ok, so I got $200 for Christmas and now it's time to decide.

Is a 16 gig iPod Touch enough storage or do I really need to spend another $100 ($399!!1?) on the 32 gig model? How likely am I to run out of space on a 16 gig? I don't trust their hours of video numbers.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:22 PM   #9
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

If your lookin to throw video on there get the 32gb, space can fill up real quickly. Although I think 399 is a rip off.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:35 PM   #10
ViCyniC
Radeon Arctic Islands

ViCyniC is still being judged by the masses

I'd aim for a 32GB too, but yeah $399 is a lot. I'd skip Christmas time and wait till next September. Though I'd understand if you can't.

I was gonna get a ipod touch 32GB because I didn't have a fully functional MP3 player for a while, but instead of getting that I got a nice and cheap Sandisk Sansa Clip which would hold many of my favorite tunes while I wait for cheaper prices for the ipods or any other comparable product. I originally was gonna buy the Ipod Shuffle, but my research led me to find that the Sansa Clip was the better alternative to the Apple product dollar for dollar.
ViCyniC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 03:47 PM   #11
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViCyniC View Post
I'd aim for a 32GB too, but yeah $399 is a lot. I'd skip Christmas time and wait till next September. Though I'd understand if you can't.

I was gonna get a ipod touch 32GB because I didn't have a fully functional MP3 player for a while, but instead of getting that I got a nice and cheap Sandisk Sansa Clip which would hold many of my favorite tunes while I wait for cheaper prices for the ipods or any other comparable product. I originally was gonna buy the Ipod Shuffle, but my research led me to find that the Sansa Clip was the better alternative to the Apple product dollar for dollar.
I put off buying one last Christmas to wait until September. When September rolled around, I couldn't stomach paying $400+ taxes +whatever else I'd need. However, with this Christmas money that was a bit unexpected, I might be able to not throw up while attempting to buy it.
Old Dec 25, 2008, 04:07 PM   #12
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Is a 16 gig iPod Touch enough storage or do I really need to spend another $100 ($399!!1?) on the 32 gig model? How likely am I to run out of space on a 16 gig? I don't trust their hours of video numbers.
if you listen to lossless/FLAC audio or you think you will be using it extensively for videos, go for 32gb. consider the part about video carefully... would you really need/want to watch videos for extended periods of time on a screen as small as that?

if normal mp3 audio is fine with you and the odd video podcast or something here and there, go with 16gb. i know people have insanely huge music collections and all but i really don't think that you can go through 16gb of music without being able to hook it up to your computer and swap stuff around if you wanted to.

personally i'd settle for 16gb because it's a music player and that much space would suffice for me.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 25, 2008, 07:48 PM   #13
MysticKiller
Nuff Respect Due

MysticKiller is still being judged by the masses

As long as you dont send many texts or emails, I would recommend the iPhone, however, if you do, it sucks due to the touch screen.

The camera is also pretty pathetic for such a pricey device.

On the other hand, its amazing to surf the internet, probably the best phone out there purely to surf the internet, although it does lack flash.

If Apple added a slide out keyboard, an upgraded camera with auto focus, dropped the price a bit and increased the memory, I know a whole lot of people who would be ready to buy one (including my self). Until then, I will be more than happy carrying around my 80GB classic and Nokia N95.
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:23 PM   #14
Djinn
Rage3D Fixture

Djinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete strangerDjinn once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Ok, so I got $200 for Christmas and now it's time to decide.

In my experience, a 100-minute movie converted to an Ipod-compatible format will consume between 600 and 850MB.

- Robert Ingersoll (1833 - 1899)
Djinn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 03:40 PM   #15
shockwave
canucklehead

shockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyshockwave can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticKiller View Post
As long as you dont send many texts or emails, I would recommend the iPhone, however, if you do, it sucks due to the touch screen.
It just takes some getting used to. I was annoyed with typing on the touch but after a month there's no problem.
shockwave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 04:01 PM   #16
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

Yeah I don't have much problems with it but my fingers aren't the size of bratwursts either.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 26, 2008, 05:38 PM   #17
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Djinn View Post
In my experience, a 100-minute movie converted to an Ipod-compatible format will consume between 600 and 850MB.
good to know, thanks!
Old Dec 26, 2008, 07:17 PM   #18
MysticKiller
Nuff Respect Due

MysticKiller is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shockwave View Post
It just takes some getting used to. I was annoyed with typing on the touch but after a month there's no problem.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perky McGiggles View Post
Yeah I don't have much problems with it but my fingers aren't the size of bratwursts either.
My hands are slightly bigger than average, so that may be partly the reason.

More importantly, the majority of the time, I text like I type, without looking at the keyboard, therefore the feedback on the press of a button is vital, and without this, it would be impossible to touch type.