Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

Default battle of the sexes

taken to the virtual world
http://blogs.wsj.com/biztech/2008/06...de-from-venus/

I'm sure women consider
Code:
x>y?y=a:y=b
cryptic code and would rather use
Code:
if (x>y) { // is x bigger than y?
y = a;} // if so, then make y equal to a
else { // if not
y = b; // then make y equal to b
}

Last edited by seeker010 : Jun 9, 2008 at 11:55 AM.
seeker010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:48 PM   #2
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Managing a team of developers, I can tell you it's not the gender issue that makes for unintelligible code. It's the cultural barrier. My female developers comment as much as the male developers, but it's the, ahem, immigrant developers that can't code worth crap.

I insist ALL my developers comment their work properly. Any company believing otherwise may as well throw their money out the window and any developer that doesn't fall in won't last too long in the programming world.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 01:51 PM   #3
Nosferatu
Hasta la victoria siempre

Nosferatu is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Managing a team of developers, I can tell you it's not the gender issue that makes for unintelligible code. It's the cultural barrier. My female developers comment as much as the male developers, but it's the, ahem, immigrant developers that can't code worth crap.

I insist ALL my developers comment their work properly. Any company believing otherwise may as well throw their money out the window and any developer that doesn't fall in won't last too long in the programming world.
Any developer who can't read and understand uncommented code isn't worth crap...
I generally don't comment my code, same goes for almost all developers in out company.
Write readable code and you're all set...
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 9, 2008, 02:01 PM   #4
Perky McGiggles
I see what you did there

Perky McGiggles is still being judged by the masses

I hate the stereo-type men don't ask for directions. It's beyond old.

That's all I have to say about that.
name, so sayeth the Lord.
- Penguins 22, chapter 3, verse 8
Perky McGiggles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 02:33 PM   #5
WhO_KnOwS
The lurker mod

WhO_KnOwS is still being judged by the masses

I tend to only comment my code if I know for a fact I used some cryptic trick. Even then, I put comments in mostly to remind me WHAT I did, not HOW I did it.
  • XFX GeForce 280 GTX XXX
  • Dell 2407WFP monitor
  • CoolerMaster Cosmos S case

Other hardware: MacBook Pro 2.53GHz 13", Xbox360, iPhone 3GS 32GB
WhO_KnOwS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 02:49 PM   #6
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
Any developer who can't read and understand uncommented code isn't worth crap...
I generally don't comment my code, same goes for almost all developers in out company.
The value of properly commenting your code is to reduce inefficiency when someone else has to take on the project. And let's face it, you may be the smartest guy in the world but you can also forget what you were doing two days ago when you come back to it. If it takes you an hour to get back into the mental space of that code, that's an hour of productivity lost. If a new guy has to waste days figuring out how your code works, that's a significant chunk of inefficiency.

Commenting code to me also provides visibility to your less technical bosses. Always a good way to win promotions in my book.

Thinking that is typically considered male is clear in many programmer personalities. They are self-centered and look for ways to be rewarded for their ingenuity and skill. This is not always conducive to working in corporate environment where teamwork and helping out others is the best way to operate towards a common goal.

(I'm of course not talking about gigantic corporations that eat inefficiencies by throwing embarrassing amounts of money at every problem)

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 9, 2008, 03:06 PM   #7
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nosferatu View Post
interfaces, libraries, nontrivial tricks, unique algorithms, etc should be documented because otherwise how will someone who didn't write it use it efficiently?

Quote:
The value of properly commenting your code is to reduce inefficiency when someone else has to take on the project. And let's face it, you may be the smartest guy in the world but you can also forget what you were doing two days ago when you come back to it. If it takes you an hour to get back into the mental space of that code, that's an hour of productivity lost. If a new guy has to waste days figuring out how your code works, that's a significant chunk of inefficiency.

Commenting code to me also provides visibility to your less technical bosses. Always a good way to win promotions in my book.

Thinking that is typically considered male is clear in many programmer personalities. They are self-centered and look for ways to be rewarded for their ingenuity and skill. This is not always conducive to working in corporate environment where teamwork and helping out others is the best way to operate towards a common goal.

(I'm of course not talking about gigantic corporations that eat inefficiencies by throwing embarrassing amounts of money at every problem)
there is a such thing as overcommenting

Last edited by seeker010 : Jun 9, 2008 at 03:23 PM.
seeker010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:17 PM   #8
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker010 View Post
there is a such thing as overcommenting
Absolutely is. Commenting is not documenting. I think having a comment that briefly explains what every discrete or functional chunk of code does and outlines how it does it isn't too much.

I'm not sure what size of projects you guys work with, but we built a massive work-management system that is over 3 million lines of code (and that's keeping it tight). Definitely need some solid documentation and code commenting to sort it all out.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jun 9, 2008, 04:34 PM   #9
kepler
Radeon Arctic Islands

kepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundkepler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:

Agreed. If it's not worth documenting, it's not worth coding.

I use structured commenting to auto-generate documentation for my code, it also has the benefit of allowing people to use my components and have intellisense access to the components signatures.

Last edited by kepler : Jun 9, 2008 at 04:37 PM.
kepler is offline   Reply With Quote