Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Jul 27, 2008, 12:49 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

javiermq is still being judged by the masses

Default best AGP card for future upgrade

So, i have fairly recent E6600 C2D 2.4ghz, with a PCIE 16x board and a x1950pro 512mb, but for work i use an older p4 3ghz, with an agp board and a crappy video card. Im looking to buy a better AGP video card for it, and i would like it not to be too expensive, since its for an older computer, and its gonna be the last component i buy for it. From reading around the web, the sapphire HD 3650 AGP with 512mb seems the best AGP right now, specially because its the only one with gdd3 ram. Is that true? I dont need it right now, but i would like to look for it maybe on years end, and hopefully it will be cheaper then. Do you think its price will go down by december? Right now it's at about 87$. And, as a side question, which PCIE card would be the best for my more powerful rig?

many thanks in advanced
javiermq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:21 AM   #2
HonestJohn
More Brains

HonestJohn is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by javiermq View Post
So, i have fairly recent E6600 C2D 2.4ghz, with a PCIE 16x board and a x1950pro 512mb, but for work i use an older p4 3ghz, with an agp board and a crappy video card. Im looking to buy a better AGP video card for it, and i would like it not to be too expensive, since its for an older computer, and its gonna be the last component i buy for it. From reading around the web, the sapphire HD 3650 AGP with 512mb seems the best AGP right now, specially because its the only one with gdd3 ram. Is that true? I dont need it right now, but i would like to look for it maybe on years end, and hopefully it will be cheaper then. Do you think its price will go down by december? Right now it's at about 87$. And, as a side question, which PCIE card would be the best for my more powerful rig?

many thanks in advanced
Yup, that's the best of the lot for a reasonable amount of money. It replaces the HD 2600 I believe. It's next closet competition would be the X1650GT which uses the same core as the XT, and the GDDR2 based 7600GT. The better GDDR3 based 7600GT are no where to be found except Ebay maybe.
HonestJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 11:44 AM   #3
Pr3tty F1y
Radeon Arctic Islands

Pr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete strangerPr3tty F1y once held a door open for a complete stranger

The x1950Pro and HD 3650 will probably be fairly well matched, but the x1950 Pro will be faster. I put an MSI HD 3650 w/ GDDR3 in my parents new machine and it was just slightly below my x1950Pro in benchmarks (I have an C2D E4400 at 2.66ghz and they had an Pentium Dual-Core E2180 @ 3.0ghz, both had 2gb of ram).

You probably could get away with less. I have a Dell, 2gb DDR2 533, and Pentium D 3.4ghz w/ an ATi x300 card and it's fine for work stuff. With a single core P4, I know that would bottleneck the x1950Pro, so an HD 3650 should be at the upper end of what you should be looking for. If you can deal with used hardware, hit up ebay, but if you're going for new, I'd say HD 3650 (definitely more so than HD 2x00 series).

For $82 for an AGP card, which is usually more expensive than PCIe, it's not bad at all. For a "relatively" powerful PC (Phenom or C2D), I'd say HD 4850 if you're frugal, possibly a 9800GTX, but if you really want to up it, go HD 4870 or GTX 260. I'm more partial to the HD 4870's feature-set + speed (DX 10.1 and tessellation, as no matter how much nV tries to discredit them with CUDA/Physx, ATi has the more capable product, as we'll probably see shortly with the 3rd party Physx driver for ATi cards).

You're dead.
Your friends are dead.
Your family's dead.
Your f**king pets are being skinned alive.
Your mom's a f**king whore.
You suck at life.
The whole world hates you.
You're going to hell.
Live with it.

GAME OVER

Last edited by Pr3tty F1y : Jul 27, 2008 at 11:50 AM.
Pr3tty F1y is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 27, 2008, 02:03 PM   #4
javiermq
Radeon Volcanic Islands

javiermq is still being judged by the masses

Many thanks for your replies! Hmm, probably the x1950pro was outperforming the hd3650 because of the processor? A C2D is gonna run much faster than a pentium D. I recently found about this AGP card, and it's very attractive price. But being abroad, i need to wait a little so it may come down in price. Do you all think it would come down in price lets say by x-mas?

On the high end side, I would like the top end for the new pc. What are the differences gaming wise between a gtx260-gtx280? On the ATI side, which is the one i prefer, I think the only clear option is the HD 4870, right? I heard that the 4870 is almost as powerful as nvidias equivalent, and its much cheaper. Ïf thats so, then the search is over. But what about when it comes to AA and AF? And more important, since all these highend cards are pcie 2.0, should I get a new board with a pcie 2.0 slot, or its just ok the way it is, since i heard pcie 2.0 y backwards compatible with pcie 1.0?
javiermq is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2008, 03:36 PM   #5
SirkoZ
Radeon R300

SirkoZ is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Many thanks for your replies! Hmm, probably the x1950pro was outperforming the hd3650 because of the processor?
Mainly because of more texture units in X1950 PRO (12 vs 8 in HD3650) and of course also more shader processors (X1950 PRO: 8 vertex, 36 pixel | HD 3650: 24 unified).
Quote:
A C2D is gonna run much faster than a pentium D. I recently found about this AGP card, and it's very attractive price. But being abroad, i need to wait a little so it may come down in price. Do you all think it would come down in price lets say by x-mas?
Perhaps - or some RV730 or 740 is coming out in AGP form. I wish. :-)

Quote:
On the high end side, I would like the top end for the new pc. What are the differences gaming wise between a gtx260-gtx280? On the ATI side, which is the one i prefer, I think the only clear option is the HD 4870, right? I heard that the 4870 is almost as powerful as nvidias equivalent, and its much cheaper. Ïf thats so, then the search is over. But what about when it comes to AA and AF? And more important, since all these highend cards are pcie 2.0, should I get a new board with a pcie 2.0 slot, or its just ok the way it is, since i heard pcie 2.0 y backwards compatible with pcie 1.0?
HD 4870 is a clearly better option than GFFX 260 - and apart from R(V)6xx - ATI cards start to shine with AA+AF.
Indeed PCI-e 2.0 cards are backwards compatible.
SirkoZ is offline   Reply With Quote