Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:36 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Hidavi
I'm Way Up

Hidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHidavi can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I love how its really difficult if you want it to be, but the cold keeps you cool enough to stay comfortable.
Hidavi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:38 PM   #152
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hidavi View Post
I love how its really difficult if you want it to be, but the cold keeps you cool enough to stay comfortable.
Heh, yeah.

I've been shovelling out peoples cars and ****. Made like 90 bucks doing it too. 2 birds 1 stone.

I'm also trying to get my friend to get me a permanent guest pass to the YMCA so I can go there to play ball. Obviously, too cold to go to the courts now, plus no one likes playing on these courts when it's cold because the rims get really rattly.

YMCA wants like 80 a month. I can't just get a membership to use there courts I have to get a membership for the whole place. **** that. Already pay 40 a month for the Gym.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:39 PM   #153
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Though I know doing cardio is important, I was wondering if stretching out a bit and lifting weights without cardio have any negative impacts aside from not getting the cardio?
Depending on how hard you go at it with the weights, it can be considered cardio in itself. I wouldn't worry about not doing cardio every single week unless you're trying hard to lose weight.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:45 PM   #154
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quick question.

I want to develop my core more, so I've been doing a lot of core. I do:
upperbody monday,
legs and back on tuesday,
upperbody wednesday,
thursday legs and back,
friday is core and chest with lots of calf raises with weight.

I do small amounts of core everyday but Friday I really work it. I've been doing about 75 pounds doing the woodchopper motion. I'm not even sure what the exercise is called, a buddy showed it to me.

I want to start developing my abs, and not just my upper abs but the lower as well. Ice, any good workouts for this? Besides sit-ups, of course.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Last edited by Nunz : Jan 2, 2011 at 01:48 PM.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 01:45 PM   #155
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Depending on how hard you go at it with the weights, it can be considered cardio in itself. I wouldn't worry about not doing cardio every single week unless you're trying hard to lose weight.
For someone looking to get back in to shape, could an effective workout be put together using a home bench and free weights that gets cardio out of lifting and avoiding the traditional 30 minute run?
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 06:33 PM   #156
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

g-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

If you're a bit on the fat side, i'd try to lose fat first (cardio), and once you're not fat anymore do strength training .

Also NO comments on my pictars ? Not even "you're fat go die" or something ?

Damn THAT hurts

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
COrsair 8GB DDR3 1600 mhz
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Coolermaster 1000 watt PSU
Samsung w840(?) SSD
http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

Martin Slater, 2K games, (Bioshock) about piracy:
"You can't afford to be cracked. As soon as you're gone, you're gone, and your sales drop astronomically if you've got a day-one crack"
g-a-m-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 09:45 PM   #157
Langsuyar
Radeon R600

Langsuyar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-a-m-e View Post
If you're a bit on the fat side, i'd try to lose fat first (cardio), and once you're not fat anymore do strength training .

Also NO comments on my pictars ? Not even "you're fat go die" or something ?

Damn THAT hurts
Definitely not a bad start, but I think your trapezius is a little bit lacking in comparison to the rest of your development. Don't end up looking like Stallone in Rocky IV. Old boy looks like he never did shrugs in his life.

Forever I'll remain
Langsuyar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2011, 09:53 PM   #158
Langsuyar
Radeon R600

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I want to start developing my abs, and not just my upper abs but the lower as well. Ice, any good workouts for this? Besides sit-ups, of course.
Hanging straight-leg lifts
Jackknives
Hanging leg lifts (weighted)
Flutter kicks/6 inch hold
Forever I'll remain
Old Jan 3, 2011, 09:54 AM   #159
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

g-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langsuyar View Post
Definitely not a bad start, but I think your trapezius is a little bit lacking in comparison to the rest of your development. Don't end up looking like Stallone in Rocky IV. Old boy looks like he never did shrugs in his life.
I know man ! But they don't seem to want to grow or something .

Granted i don't do shrugs ever, but that's because i thought shrugs are lame.
They just seem really really an isolation move.

I do lots of standing overhead presses. I get under the bar real good and feel them pinching together but i just can't seem to really work that muscle out.

I also don't do pullups, wide grip nor woman grip . I think i should ? I can do them though, like 6 or 7 nice ones . What should i be aiming for ? Like 3 x10 or something ? I weigh about 100 kilo's at 1.83 meter

What about deads ? They good for it ? Just started again after back crap, had really really sore legs from squatting, i should have known better than to go for my normal weight, form was utter crap, felt something in lower back > next day i could not even get out in or out my car.

2 weeks later, ALMOST healed. I do some squats. Against better judgement try for last one , **** form up (with LOW weight but did not matter) > **** again . I then didnt do deads or squats for about a month.
Now it's healed though.

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

"You can't afford to be cracked. As soon as you're gone, you're gone, and your sales drop astronomically if you've got a day-one crack"

Last edited by g-a-m-e : Jan 3, 2011 at 10:00 AM.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 11:25 AM   #160
riho
Breaking a take

riho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyriho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Snatches and cleans make your traps grow. Do those. Provided you have an olympic weightlifting stand

Proof:

Last edited by riho : Jan 3, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
riho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:12 PM   #161
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

Snatches scare me. I once saw this dude break his elbow doing one :shock:

I wouldnt need a stand to do those by the way ?

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Old Jan 3, 2011, 12:31 PM   #162
riho
Breaking a take

riho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyriho can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I've seen people break their knees squatting **** happens.

Some gyms don't allow dropping weights and if they don't have those rubber covered plates then forget about it.

You don't need a special stand but if you don't have it and you drop weights on concrete or some hard surface then the plates might eventually bend or get damaged I imagine.
riho is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 06:55 PM   #163
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Quick question.

I want to develop my core more, so I've been doing a lot of core. I do:
upperbody monday,
legs and back on tuesday,
upperbody wednesday,
thursday legs and back,
friday is core and chest with lots of calf raises with weight.

I do small amounts of core everyday but Friday I really work it. I've been doing about 75 pounds doing the woodchopper motion. I'm not even sure what the exercise is called, a buddy showed it to me.

Aside from what was already mentioned, deadlifts and squats are a great way to strengthen your core. I've never done direct core work in my life and mine is strong as hell, and my abs are pretty damn thick. Also look into weighted planks.

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
For someone looking to get back in to shape, could an effective workout be put together using a home bench and free weights that gets cardio out of lifting and avoiding the traditional 30 minute run?
What exactly do you mean by "back in shape"? If you're on the heavy side I'd still stick some cardio in there for a couple days out of the week, if you're skinny or just want some muscle mass, weights would probably be fine. Try other forms of cardio like hitting a bag if you don't like running.

Quote:
I know man ! But they don't seem to want to grow or something .

Granted i don't do shrugs ever, but that's because i thought shrugs are lame.
They just seem really really an isolation move.

I do lots of standing overhead presses. I get under the bar real good and feel them pinching together but i just can't seem to really work that muscle out.
I've never done a shrug in my life and my traps are big. Overhead presses aren't going to work your traps that much, they're mainly an accessory muscle in that exercise.

Quote:
I also don't do pullups, wide grip nor woman grip . I think i should ? I can do them though, like 6 or 7 nice ones . What should i be aiming for ? Like 3 x10 or something ? I weigh about 100 kilo's at 1.83 meter
Pull-ups are essential, so yes, do them. Get to some solid sets of 10 and start adding weights to a belt.

Quote:
What about deads ? They good for it ?
Deadlifts are the reason my traps are quite big. Deadlifts basically work your entire body.

Quote:
Snatches scare me. I once saw this dude break his elbow doing one :shock:

I wouldnt need a stand to do those by the way ?
You're in the wrong hobby if you're worried about getting hurt. You can tear a muscle with any exercise you do, it doesn't even have to be a heavy weight. Deadlifts can bulge discs or give hernias, squats can do that and blow your knees out. Benching can tear your pecs or rotator cuffs, there is a potential for injury everywhere. That's why form is so important, and if you haven't taken and posted a video of your main lifts to get critiques on it, I would. Just don't post them on BB.com because most of those guys are idiots.

As for olympic lifting, you're want to get bumper plates or at the very least some good thick rubber mats. Even then I wouldn't want to drop heavy weights from over my head, so bumpers would be crucial. Otherwise you can ruin your bar (moreso than the plates if you have some rubber mats).

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:09 PM   #164
.nox
Meh

.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges.nox doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Been slacking off big time with the workouts but I'm gonna pick it back up this semester starting tomorrow.

Wish me luck !

EDIT :

The sack is were my training shows.

I would tongue **** that ass so much, she wouldn't need to wipe it for a week.
-Megaman
.nox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:30 PM   #165
Langsuyar
Radeon R600

Quote:
Deadlifts are the reason my traps are quite big.
At the lockout for deadlifts there is the shoulder shrug/roll before releasing the weight, so you're still doing a half-shrug anyway. Outside of that, the trapezius works as a stabilizer for the lift.
Forever I'll remain
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:44 PM   #166
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Hit the gym today, first day its back open. Did chest, back and abs. Also walked my dogs for about 4mi.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 3, 2011, 07:52 PM   #167
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Langsuyar View Post
At the lockout for deadlifts there is the shoulder shrug/roll before releasing the weight, so you're still doing a half-shrug anyway. Outside of that, the trapezius works as a stabilizer for the lift.
It depends on how you do them. And pretty much every muscle is a stabilizer for them.

As for me, I'm taking tonight and tomorrow off. I'll start with shoulder presses on Wednesday.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:28 AM   #168
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

Quote:
I've never done a shrug in my life and my traps are big. Overhead presses aren't going to work your traps that much, they're mainly an accessory muscle in that exercise.

Pull-ups are essential, so yes, do them. Get to some solid sets of 10 and start adding weights to a belt.

Deadlifts are the reason my traps are quite big. Deadlifts basically work your entire body.

You're in the wrong hobby if you're worried about getting hurt. You can tear a muscle with any exercise you do, it doesn't even have to be a heavy weight. Deadlifts can bulge discs or give hernias, squats can do that and blow your knees out. Benching can tear your pecs or rotator cuffs, there is a potential for injury everywhere. That's why form is so important, and if you haven't taken and posted a video of your main lifts to get critiques on it, I would. Just don't post them on BB.com because most of those guys are idiots.
I found it ! I had to zoom in a bit for it to show but

Lol
Anyway i was stuck deadlifting at exactly 450 pound mark before i sprained my bak. Could do 5 reps in good enough form so it's not like i don't deadlift.
At least compared to the rest of the gym (but then again they deadlift with dumbells yes i'm not even kidding, all serious complete with grunting with 60 pounds )

Think it's the pullups, or maybe pulls in general. I like pulling, i HATE pullups . Bought myself one of those bars you can hang in your doorpost.

Did some gay shrugs yesterday. Just 3 sets, come up slowly and hold for 2 seconds (read that somewhere), and it hurts so that muscle definately needs some special attention indeed. thx all

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Last edited by g-a-m-e : Jan 4, 2011 at 02:30 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 04:54 AM   #169
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Ok I'm willing to take crap from you guys here, and most likely some of you will dish it after I say this - but the facts are the facts man...

I used to be one helluva long distance runner in my younger days. In high school I weighed a mere buck-twenty, but I ran like the wind. My best 5 kilometer was 16:40, and my best mile was 4:40 - and this was in Denver altitude, 5280 feet above sea level.

My point here is that I only wish I was there again. At 24 years old I started smoking cigarettes, and at that time I never even dreamed of working out or running. The smoking continued until I was 31 years old (last year) when I decided I had enough. It's been 16 months now since I've had a cigarette, and I'm loving it.

The problem that came with quitting though is that smoking was actually keeping my weight down. Tobacco suppresses your appetite - so throughout all my 20's I never gained a pound - and I thought it was merely my metabolism. Well when I quit, my weight went up - and it was mainly fat. I went from 135 lbs to 160 lbs in a matter of months. No kidding.

Well I've finally got sick of it all (especially the mid-section bulge) and I have decided to do something about it.

Anyway, the part that ICE will make fun of is that I happen to own a Bowflex Ultimate 2. I spent thousands of $$$$ about three years ago on the Bowflex, yet I never ever even used it - mainly because I was a smoker. I felt why the **** should I work out when I smoke? But I bought it in hopes that someday I would quit smoking and start working out... So I've had this couple thousand dollar workout device sitting there only holding the floor down for years now, but now I want to put it to work.

I know it's a Bow****, but it's paid off and I'm sick and tired of being unhealthy - so I started working out a few weeks ago. I have a routine now of every other day switching between shoulders, chest, arms, back, trunk, abs and legs - and I can already tell a big difference. I'm serious about it this time - and while I know I'll get **** to the end of the earth for spending thousands on a Bow**** - I have to admit that the thing is working.

Besides all the typical Bow**** uses - the Ultimate 2 has a lat tower, preacher curl, ab cruncher, and it can do full squats and aerobic rowing. So far so good, I'm starting to actually see and feel a difference.

Anyway, I'm only explaining all this because I do want some support here. It's been over a decade since I've been healthy and in shape - and I want to get back - even if I have to use a Bowflex. I sure hope some of you guys can support my efforts.

Last edited by curio : Jan 4, 2011 at 01:17 PM.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 05:42 AM   #170
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

It beats deadlifting with dumbells i guess

Anyway, there's another problem with quitting smoking. When you smoke, your metabolism gets a lot less efficient. Meaning you can eat more because a lot less of the calories are actually absorbed.

So, when you quite smoking you have 2 problems. You eat more, AND what you eat is more efficiently taken in .

So in order to maintain the same weight after you quit smoking, you have to also eat LESS than what you did when you were still smoking.

This means your life has become pretty depressing , not only is the lack of nicotine making you depressed and angry, on top of that you should also go on a f^cking diet and be hungry all day

edit for WTF !!! That bowflex costs what ?! Thousands of dollars ? Its now "paid off" ? You took a loan out for that thing ?!?!?!?!?!?!!?

Wow, infomercials . Had no idea they were actually effective (well, on americans that is)

Why is that thing so expensive ? It's just a piece of aluminium or something ?

edit#2 ... Dear god i thought you meant that shake thing. You bought a home gym from the BRAND bowflex.

I don't really see a problem with that personally to be honest ?

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Last edited by g-a-m-e : Jan 4, 2011 at 05:48 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 08:12 AM   #171
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Ok I'm willing to take crap from you guys here, and most likely some of you will dish it after I say this - but the facts are the facts man...

I used to be one helluva long distance runner in my younger days. In high school I weighed a mere buck-twenty, but I ran like the wind. My best 5 kilometer was 16:40, and my best mile was 4:40 - and this was in Denver altitude, 5280 feet above sea level.

My point here is that I only wish I was there again. At 24 years old I started smoking cigarettes, and at that time I never even dreamed of working out or running. The smoking continued until I was 32 years old (last year) when I decided I had enough. It's been 16 months now since I've had a cigarette, and I'm loving it.

The problem that came with quitting though is that smoking was actually keeping my weight down. Tobacco suppresses your appetite - so throughout all my 20's I never gained a pound - and I thought it was merely my metabolism. Well when I quit, my weight went up - and it was mainly fat. I went from 135 lbs to 160 lbs in a matter of months. No kidding.

Well I've finally got sick of it all (especially the mid-section bulge) and I have decided to do something about it.

Anyway, the part that ICE will make fun of is that I happen to own a Bowflex Ultimate 2. I spent thousands of $$$$ about three years ago on the Bowflex, yet I never ever even used it - mainly because I was a smoker. I felt why the **** should I work out when I smoke? But I bought it in hopes that someday I would quit smoking and start working out... So I've had this couple thousand dollar workout device sitting there only holding the floor down for years now, but now I want to put it to work.

I know it's a Bow****, but it's paid off and I'm sick and tired of being unhealthy - so I started working out a few weeks ago. I have a routine now of every other day switching between shoulders, chest, arms, back, trunk, abs and legs - and I can already tell a big difference. I'm serious about it this time - and while I know I'll get **** to the end of the earth for spending thousands on a Bow**** - I have to admit that the thing is working.

Besides all the typical Bow**** uses - the Ultimate 2 has a lat tower, preacher curl, ab cruncher, and it can do full squats and aerobic rowing. So far so good, I'm starting to actually see and feel a difference.

Anyway, I'm only explaining all this because I do want some support here. It's been over a decade since I've been healthy and in shape - and I want to get back - even if I have to use a Bowflex. I sure hope some of you guys can support my efforts.
I won't give you **** for it, I won't give anyone **** for deciding to get in shape, unless they ask me for advice and plainly ignore it (or at least make it known they're thinking of buying a Bowflex before they actually do ), you bought it years ago and it's paid for, you may as well use it. Is it ideal? Not really, but you can have results just fine on them so long as you're not trying to become a bodybuilding or especially powerlifting champion. You can get in shape with it, so just stick to it.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.

Last edited by ice : Jan 4, 2011 at 08:35 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 12:32 PM   #172
Spyder
Radeon Sea Islands

Spyder is still being judged by the masses

I joined a gym just before christmas. been 6 times already.. tonite will be my 7th. i've gone from no exercise to 4 times a week. I do 20min cardio, 20 min on the weight machines and back to 20 min cardio - so an hour total roughly.

it feels great - feel fantastic after going and i actually look forward to it every day. i'm really excited about losing weight. I guess i finally had enough
Spyder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 01:15 PM   #173
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Quote:
Anyway, there's another problem with quitting smoking. When you smoke, your metabolism gets a lot less efficient. Meaning you can eat more because a lot less of the calories are actually absorbed.

So, when you quite smoking you have 2 problems. You eat more, AND what you eat is more efficiently taken in .

So in order to maintain the same weight after you quit smoking, you have to also eat LESS than what you did when you were still smoking.

This means your life has become pretty depressing , not only is the lack of nicotine making you depressed and angry, on top of that you should also go on a f^cking diet and be hungry all day
That explains a lot actually.

Quote:
edit for WTF !!! That bowflex costs what ?! Thousands of dollars ? Its now "paid off" ? You took a loan out for that thing ?!?!?!?!?!?!!?
Yup the version I got cost that much. I didn't take a loan out, I bought it outright.

Quote:
Wow, infomercials . Had no idea they were actually effective (well, on americans that is)
Actually my father had a cheapo Bowflex from the 90's that I used to use when I was a teenager... I so I bought another one. And I always get the top of the line of anything a buy... it's a curse of mine

Though I wish I would have known back then about all the cool weightlifting equipment that's out there

Quote:
Why is that thing so expensive ? It's just a piece of aluminium or something ?

edit#2 ... Dear god i thought you meant that shake thing. You bought a home gym from the BRAND bowflex.

Shake weight!
Old Jan 4, 2011, 01:16 PM   #174
curio
𐐒ananaD

Quote:
I won't give you **** for it, I won't give anyone **** for deciding to get in shape, unless they ask me for advice and plainly ignore it (or at least make it known they're thinking of buying a Bowflex before they actually do ), you bought it years ago and it's paid for, you may as well use it. Is it ideal? Not really, but you can have results just fine on them so long as you're not trying to become a bodybuilding or especially powerlifting champion. You can get in shape with it, so just stick to it.
Thanks man. I have little experience with this stuff, so I'm gonna go through the manual and jot down some exercises I think would help. I'll post back and hopefully guys can tell me if I should be doing them, or others.

edit: the first things I want to work on, or at least the things that need the work first, are my chest and my stomach/midsection. The thing has an ab cruncher attachment that I'll be using, but is there anything else I can try for the battle of the bulge? As for the chest, the only exercises I know for that is the chest fly and bench press. I see there's a decline chest fly, but it looks the same to me as the regular chest fly. Anyone know the difference?

Last edited by curio : Jan 4, 2011 at 01:24 PM.
curio is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:13 PM   #175
ice
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by curio View Post
Thanks man. I have little experience with this stuff, so I'm gonna go through the manual and jot down some exercises I think would help. I'll post back and hopefully guys can tell me if I should be doing them, or others.

edit: the first things I want to work on, or at least the things that need the work first, are my chest and my stomach/midsection. The thing has an ab cruncher attachment that I'll be using, but is there anything else I can try for the battle of the bulge? As for the chest, the only exercises I know for that is the chest fly and bench press. I see there's a decline chest fly, but it looks the same to me as the regular chest fly. Anyone know the difference?
Crunches won't help flatten your stomach, and there's no spot reduction so you'll have to either slim down some more (I can't imagine anyone weighing 160lbs and being fat) or just work out and eat better to try to do a body recomp (lose fat while gaining muscle). That way is harder, but I can't really recommend someone strictly losing weight if they're just a little doughy.

Then again I'm thinking about building muscle mass, if you want to get back to your runner physique then disregard most of what I said.

As for incline/decline flyes, they can put slightly higher emphasis on the "upper" and "lower" pecs respectively, but you can't isolate the chest since it contracts as a whole and I've never seen a benefit from incline/decline work. It's mainly good just for switching things up when your routine gets stale, but if you're already doing the flat exercises there's no real need to do incline/decline stuff.

I'll comment more when I get home.

360 games

Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:19 PM   #176
curio
𐐒ananaD

Thanks for the advice. And I'm not obese by any stretch of the imagination, but I do have a gut now for the first time in my life.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:37 PM   #177
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

Lol no i meant that other thing that shakes. I could have sworn it was called bowflex.

It's like a bendy thing , long, like one half of a bow .

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:45 PM   #178
curio
𐐒ananaD

Oh yeah, can't remember the name either but I know what you're talking about.
Old Jan 4, 2011, 02:46 PM   #179
Langsuyar
Radeon R600

The Crossbow?

Forever I'll remain
Old Jan 4, 2011, 03:01 PM   #180
curio
𐐒ananaD

The BodyBow baby!