Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Oct 8, 2019, 03:50 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Default Rear of car is squealing when I press down on it.

I've been hearing my Pontiac g6 2007 GT squeal since yesterday when I put the car in reverse, but not so much when in drive going forward. Just today after lunch, I got out of my car and as the car bounced a bit from me stepping out I heard a grindy sounding "squeal" sound come from the back. I pressed down on it and heard it again.

I was originally going to change the brake pads as that is what I though it was at first, but now that I noticed the sound coming from bouncing the back of the car, I'm not so sure what it is. Any logical ideas?

"Be careful what you say, not everybody is open minded"

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2019, 05:11 PM   #2
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Broken spring and/or strut and/or strut mount.

Or if they used shocks instead of struts.

Heatware
gamefoo21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2019, 05:49 PM   #3
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by gamefoo21 View Post
Broken spring and/or strut and/or strut mount.

Or if they used shocks instead of struts.
Why would I only hear it when going in reverse though? This is why I initially suspected the brakes, but the brakes wouldn't make that sound pushing down on the car would it?

"If Fascism Ever Comes to America, It Will Come in the Name of Liberalism -Ronald Reagan"
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 8, 2019, 07:37 PM   #4
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

gamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badgesgamefoo21 doesn't need no stinkin' badges

It is because of the way it loads the suspension and the way the spring end may be breaking away.

Only way to say for sure is to jack it up, take off the wheel and have a look.

Heatware
Old Oct 8, 2019, 07:43 PM   #5
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Sounds like a broken mount and/or worn down spring/bushing.

Reason why you hear it more in reverse could be because of the way the weight is being distributed.

Get the car up on jackstands and start investigating the rear-end.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2019, 10:41 PM   #6
xCLAVEx
Not gone

I did hear some metallic grinding randomly from the rear while driving home so I'm wondering if it is the caliper. I won't be able to check it until Thursday at the earliest (naturally I have jury duty early Friday morning and my car decides now's the Time to pull this ****...).

Old Oct 9, 2019, 11:42 AM   #7
gamefoo21
Rage Furry X

On a 2008 Cobalt busted spring in the back sounded like a right done brake, pull the e-brake and it would shut up most days until it didn't.

No sag, took the wheel off to inspect and it was ohhh, there half a loop on the end had completely broken off at that point. New springs required.

Heatware