Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Old Jul 4, 2002, 05:15 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Coyote
Radeon R520

Coyote is still being judged by the masses

Default I don't want leaked drivers, I want OFFICIAL drivers!

I thought ATI said that when they announced the new "Catalyst" drivers, they would make an effort to have continous updates to them on their website? Yet all I see are leaked unofficial drivers. For my own reasons, I don't use leaked drivers, and would rather download official drivers directly from ATI. If there is a new "leaked" version of the drivers, why hasn't ATI released this version as "official" drivers on their website? There is new drivers out, so I expect to be able to download them directly from ATI!
Coyote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 05:23 PM   #2
MALE GIGOLO
Radeon R200

MALE GIGOLO is still being judged by the masses

some people like this guy over here are never happy i dont know why atis latest drivers are great my games are running faster than ever now so i dont know what are you complaining about try the leaked drivers dont be a chicken be a man like me who will go to bed with 2-3 women this weekend try them and dont complain here in my forum ok?
MALE GIGOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 05:52 PM   #3
Rik
Radeon R700

Rik is still being judged by the masses

Wink

Quote:
Originally posted by MALE GIGOLO
dont complain here in my forum ok?
So you're the one who stumps up the cash for Rage3D, then?
Well done! You have all of our undying gratitude!
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 4, 2002, 06:11 PM   #4
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

well, they are BETA drivers... you didn't see Blizzard making WarCraft 3 beta available at their site, did you?
Old Jul 4, 2002, 06:50 PM   #5
MALE GIGOLO
Radeon R200

MALE GIGOLO is still being judged by the masses

RIK: its just that i get very pissed at some people when ati never released drivers people complained that ati didnt care about us so they didnt release drivers and that they would be happy if ati even released beta drivers that they would take theyre chances withe the betas ati sayed that it didnt want to release betas because people would complain but afetr much incistence on our part ati did start to release betas and now its happening what ati sayed turds like this one are starting to complain about ati releasing betas im so mad i could kick my dog to death some people are never happy let me tell you somethin stop that nonsense with your foolish comments i want my betas all of ati users are happy with new betas so if you are not happy the go buy a nvidia piece of crap and leave us alone and btw i call this my forum cause its like my second home i love must of you guys just no this turd who complains about betas im mad back to the clinic damn
MALE GIGOLO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 08:07 PM   #6
Keen
Radeon R520

Keen is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: I don't want leaked drivers, I want OFFICIAL drivers!

Quote:
Originally posted by Coyote
I thought ATI said that when they announced the new "Catalyst" drivers, they would make an effort to have continous updates to them on their website? Yet all I see are leaked unofficial drivers. For my own reasons, I don't use leaked drivers, and would rather download official drivers directly from ATI. If there is a new "leaked" version of the drivers, why hasn't ATI released this version as "official" drivers on their website? There is new drivers out, so I expect to be able to download them directly from ATI!
To get from point A to point C, you must first travel through point B. They need to fix bugs in their drivers (point B, also where leaked drivers come in, since those are attempted fixes) before they post them (point C). They will post more frequently, but it does take a reasonable amount of time for them to create updated drivers.
AthlonXP 1800+ / Soyo Dragon+ / 2x256MB of Crucial PC2100 / Retail 8500 64MB / ATI TV Wonder / Diamond Monster MX300 / 3Com 3C905C / 120GB WD SE HD / 100GB WD HD / Toshiba 16x DVD Drive / LG 16/10/40 CD-RW Drive

"Beware jargon. It usually hides ignorance and carries little knowledge." - Bene Gesserit Coda
Keen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 08:37 PM   #7
DonnoD
Radeon R420

DonnoD is still being judged by the masses

Some companies can get from A to C faster than ATi, and we'd all like them to speed up. Thats his point, and I think it's a legit one. But of course, we get ppl posting this same crap over and over again at this forum, so it gets really tired. We all want better drives, faster but there's no point in making a thread about it.
Asus A7V266-E | AthlonXP 1700+ @ 1705mhz | Alpha Pal8045T | Ati Radeon 8500 | 512mb Crucial DDR | Maxtor D740X 40gb | Ricoh 8/8/32 | Toshiba 16X DVD | 3Com 905C TX NIC | Hercules Fortissimo II | Win2K Pro
DonnoD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 09:06 PM   #8
Wind30

Wind30 is still being judged by the masses

I think I'd like to get to point D, by going through Points A, B, Z, Q, the two women MaleGigilo is going to sleep with, and finally under the back porch.

I slightly agree with him though, beta drivers make me a *little* touchy, but, life is a journey, not a destination!

Wind
Wind30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 09:16 PM   #9
Skull0ne
Radeon R600

Skull0ne is still being judged by the masses

alright, time to put an end to this thread right here. first didn't ATI say 8-12 new driver releases a year? that would be about 6-8 weeks on avg in my book. maybe a little less maybe a little more. and if my memory serves it's been 4-5 weeks since Catalyst?

Just remember that when the 6025s, 6043s, 6071s and 6093s were leaked we got an official set of those drivers within 2 weeks or so of that. I bet that if this rumored July 17 is the day Radeon 9700 is released we see official 6107s or something newer which would follow with the usual 2 weeks we've seen in the past.

Also remember that you don't actually know who is holding the official drivers back. Before they can be official they have to be WHQLed by M$. M$ is slower than hell with that. For all we know the 6107s have already been given to M$ for approval. Hell the 6102s we got last week may be half way through approval for all we know.

I'm not saying I'm right but I think it's wrong to complain about getting leaked drivers instead of official. because the leaked drivers show that ATI is doing their job.

so please either quitcher *****in' or use leaked drivers.

S1
Abit NF7-S v2 w/ Forceware 3.13
Geil Ultra Platinum PC3500 2x512
ATI Radeon 9700 Pro w/ Catalyst 4.7
80GB SATA Maxtor
250GB SATA Maxtor
WinXP Pro SP1
Skull0ne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 09:19 PM   #10
Wind30

Wind30 is still being judged by the masses

Oh, I think you're absolutely right. And as purchasers of finer ATI products everywhere, it should be our DUTY to use Beta Drivers and b***h and moan about them, because then ATI will find out by reading these boards and finding out what's wrong. So instead of whining about installing them, we should use them and THEN whine!

A win win situation, I must say.

Wind.
Wind30 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 11:15 PM   #11
Arikel
Radeon R300

Arikel is still being judged by the masses

I'm sure the guys in charge at ATI are laughing and twisting their handlebar mustaches right now saying "Hahah, if we keep releasing beta drivers we'll never have to put out an official set again! Stop all work on official drivers and just start cranking out betas, those stupid Rage3d'ers will never notice! Muhuhahahah!"

Or maybe they're working on it, and if some people weren't nice enough to go out of their way to get their hands on beta drivers for us this thread wouldn't exist. Relax, be glad that they're taking as long as they need to rather than cranking out halfassed official sets.
Arikel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2002, 11:22 PM   #12
kbleft
Radeon Evergreen

kbleft is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by MALE GIGOLO
RIK: its just that i get very pissed at some people when ati never released drivers people complained that ati didnt care about us so they didnt release drivers and that they would be happy if ati even released beta drivers that they would take theyre chances withe the betas ati sayed that it didnt want to release betas because people would complain but afetr much incistence on our part ati did start to release betas and now its happening what ati sayed turds like this one are starting to complain about ati releasing betas im so mad i could kick my dog to death some people are never happy let me tell you somethin stop that nonsense with your foolish comments i want my betas all of ati users are happy with new betas so if you are not happy the go buy a nvidia piece of crap and leave us alone and btw i call this my forum cause its like my second home i love must of you guys just no this turd who complains about betas im mad back to the clinic damn

Punctuation please?
kbleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2002, 07:26 AM   #13
Rik
Radeon R700

Rik is still being judged by the masses

Talking

Sorry, Male Gigolo, I got lost and ran out of breath a few words in. But I see what you're saying... you feel the strong 'brotherly love' that only Rage3D can provide, you feel like you've found a place to 'stand proud' in... and that's a good thing!
Rik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2002, 08:46 AM   #14
ErrorS
gfdsa

ErrorS is still being judged by the masses

this thread made me laugh..

so basically

"What the hell! Beta drivers are released but not officials of the same driver at the same time? omg that isnt right"

hahaha

oh my God.. it's no joke.. you just cannot possibly please everyone

if heaven exists.. i'm guessing 1/2 the world will ***** about it in one way or another when they die..
ErrorS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2002, 05:56 PM   #15
protege5gt
Radeon R200

protege5gt is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Ah for f*ck's sake... b*tch b*tch b*tch. I used to have an Nvidia card an they leaked Detonators left right and centre!! If you had an Nvidia card would you b*tch just the same? The Detonator betas were awesome... every leak got better and better... now with these Catalysts.... I've installed every single driver leak... including the one that broke the fog in GTA3... which was like 3-4 weeks ago. The latest leak... yes.. it's installed... the fog in GTA3 is fixed... and it doesn't stutter at all. So... stick with your crappy assed "OFFICIAL" drivers and don't bother trying drivers that ACTUALLY WORK (leaked or not.)
Windows XP
80GB Maxtor HDD
60GB Maxtor HDD
Plextor 24x16x40 CDRW
LG 32X CDROM

The pain train's comin' WOO WOO!!!! - Terry Tate
protege5gt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 08:29 AM   #16
shasha
Meatwad

shasha is still being judged by the masses

Didn't even bother reading all of the posts, I have a pretty good idea what they say. The point is that no other company is supporting their HW as well as ATI is right now. In the 4 months since I have bought my card there have been atleast:

--3 official MMC releases
--3 official WDM capture driver releases
--5 (I think) official Display driver releases

All OS's were supported as well. Every single one of these releases worked on my system and each one improved performance to some degree.

In the 4 months there have also been:

--6 (more like 10) leaked Display drivers
--3 WDM leaks
--1 MMC leak

Leaked drivers are not supported because they are leaked which means they were not suposed to be released, they are not even in a beta form, they are in house for development. Luckily the drivers are mature enough that they usually do work fine. Leaked drivers may or may not fix a problem that you have and they may increase your perfomance. They may also hose your system, thought I have not experienced that myself.

Anyway the point is that while you may be complaining about all of the leaked drivers being released and not being official, the official releases are still coming out in droves. I remember waiting an entire year for Win2K drivers for my last video card and then being told that they would not be released. That was a real demonstration of poor support. I owned that video card for 3 years and ATI has released more drivers in 4 months than I got with the other in 3 years!

ATI has been awesome and I am very impressed with their efforts. If nothing else, that many leaked versions tell you that they are working on the drivers all of the time.

Oh yeah, almost forgot. I realize that it has been quite awhile since there was an official driver release:

Driver Build 6.13.10.6094
7.72-020524M-004273C
Posted June 13, 2002

Almost 3 weeks!!! That is just ridiculous!!!

Last edited by shasha : Jul 6, 2002 at 08:36 AM.
shasha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2002, 02:04 PM   #17
Target
Radeon R200

Target is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
There is new drivers out, so I expect to be able to download them directly from ATI!
wtf? What difference would it make if they were on ATI's site? The drivers don't think oh I'm being downloaded from ati.com so I'd better be good!?

As for the shasha's post. I agree. I had an nvidia card for a couple fo years. When I switched to ATI nvida were on unofficial version 22.xx Officially there were a hell of a lot less than that!

I make a point of trying every beta driver. Reason being there was an obscure nvidia driver (might have been 21.05) that worked beautiful on my system. Completely stable (solved the infinite looping problem I had in DX8 at the time) and a good 10% faster than any other - including future released drivers.

I'm hoping one day to find a similar ATI driver
Target is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 7, 2002, 04:14 AM   #18
€L1T€
Radeon Evergreen

€L1T€ is still being judged by the masses

DO YOU REALLT THINK IT MAKES A DIFFERENCE WETHER THEY ARE LABLED AS BETA OR OFFICIAL?
in this day and age beta drivers arent horrible things that will kill you os i cant remember a beta driver that didnt work good for me yet.
Old Jul 7, 2002, 05:15 AM   #19
grog
No longer on Rage3d

grog is still being judged by the masses

Cool Just want drivers that fix problems and are stable

Does not matter to me if the driver is beta "leaked" or officially released. I only care if they address problems I need fixed and they are stable. As long as I have time to test them I will. But if they do not meet my test standards I still with what works for me.

At this point the released Catalist drivers do not pass my testing.

6094 --- Does not pass.. Explorer crash issue.
6102 --- Does not pass.. Explorer crash issue.
6107 --- Does not pass.. Explorer crash issue.

See my thread on latest 6107 testing done.

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...0&pagenumber=6

If I find a beta driver that works and passes my testing and then ATI releases a newer driver that does not pass my testing. Guess what, I will stay with the beta set of drivers.

All and all. The bug I have seen are very small indeed. The original drivers released with the 8500DV (3286) were very stable graphics drivers.
More stable than anything I had seen with any other card up to that point. I am now using the 6071 drivers with MMC 7.6 and I am very happy with them. There are a few issues I know are resolved in the newer drivers. But it is a question of stability verses features. The TV scheduler for example will not work if the screen saver is active in WinXP. I know this was fixed in the later drivers but until the explorer bug is fixed I am sticking with the 6071 drivers for stability..

Greg

Greg
grog is offline   Reply With Quote