Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:40 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Android jumps ahead of iOS in total US smartphone subscribers...

http://www.engadget.com/2011/01/07/c...artphone-subs/

Quote:
We've seen plenty of data to show that Android is the hottest-selling smartphone OS among US buyers today, but now we have a stat point to show that it's doing pretty well in cumulative terms as well. According to ComScore's latest estimates, Android had 26 percent of all US smartphone subscribers in the quarter ending November 2010, bettering Apple's iPhone for the first time. The major victim of Android's ascendancy has actually been RIM's BlackBerry, whose lead at the top contracted by 4.1 percentage points (nearly 11 percent less than the share it had in the previous quarter). Guess those Verizon iPhones and dual-core BBs had better start arriving pretty soon.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:42 AM   #2
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Just read this too. It's still got a long way to go to eclipse iOS users though.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 10:44 AM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Just read this too. It's still got a long way to go to eclipse iOS users though.
Absolutely, Android doesn't really have anything in the PMP arena and all tablets up until the Moto Xoom have pretty much been big phones...
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:00 AM   #4
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Absolutely, Android doesn't really have anything in the PMP arena and all tablets up until the Moto Xoom have pretty much been big phones...
What I meant by that is, until android gets on PMP players and in the hands of people I think iOS will still be the first go to for Devs. I have to look up numbers for how many iPod touches have been sold, but I know the number is massive...

Old Jan 7, 2011, 11:07 AM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
What I meant by that is, until android gets on PMP players and in the hands of people I think iOS will still be the first go to for Devs. I have to look up numbers for how many iPod touches have been sold, but I know the number is massive...
I think it'd be more relevant to include iPod Touches of the last 2 generations... the origional and 2nd gen won't get nearly as much support nowadays.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:00 PM   #6
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

That's pretty pathetic really. It took 50 Android phones on 10 networks to gain the same US market share as 1 iPhone on 1 carrier.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:01 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
That's pretty pathetic really. It took 50 Android phones on 10 networks to gain the same US market share as 1 iPhone on 1 carrier.
What's more pathetic is your attitude towards Android. Just because you own Apple stock doesn't mean you have to hate everything non-Apple.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:03 PM   #8
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
What's more pathetic is your attitude towards Android. Just because you own Apple stock doesn't mean you have to hate everything non-Apple.
I own Google stock and use their apps on my iPhone as well...
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:14 PM   #9
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Now boys, calm down...
Quote:
I wouldn't suggest that it's pathetic, a different business model yes, but that doesn't make it pathetic. Android OS offers a lot more options in terms of meeting customer demand. Android offers far more choices than Apple, not just things like network carrier selection, with Android you get choices of screen size, with or without keyboards and all sorts of things you can't get if you go with the iPhone exclusively.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 12:20 PM   #10
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I own Google stock and use their apps on my iPhone as well...
Apple's persistence on controlling their computer hardware has shown this model does not work over time.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 02:24 PM   #11
shoman24v
Radeon Southern Islands

shoman24v is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Google makes the Android OS, not Phones.

Let's make that clear.

Apple makes the iPhone and iOS. The iOS goes on 1 phone, OEMs put Googles OS on phones..

Hell, Android is competing with its self!

Last edited by shoman24v : Jan 7, 2011 at 02:35 PM.
shoman24v is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 03:20 PM   #12
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by shoman24v View Post
Google makes the Android OS, not Phones.

Let's make that clear.

Apple makes the iPhone and iOS. The iOS goes on 1 phone, OEMs put Googles OS on phones..

Hell, Android is competing with its self!
That's exactly what I said...

I said Android on 50 phones...not Google makes 50 phones.

That's the strength of Apple. 1 phone 1 carrier vs 50 phones and 10 carriers.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 03:28 PM   #13
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Wait what? How is being restricted to one carrier a plus?
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 03:57 PM   #14
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
That's exactly what I said...

I said Android on 50 phones...not Google makes 50 phones.

That's not a strength.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:29 PM   #15
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
Wait what? How is being restricted to one carrier a plus?
Never said that either. All I said was that iPhone is holding its own very well against Android with that limitation.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:29 PM   #16
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
That's not a strength.
Some might see it as a strength. You can't ignore that Apple has found a good amount of success with this formula. Having a closed system allows them more *control* over everything involved with their product. While I personally disagree with this approach for many reasons, I wouldn't call it "not a strength" it just isn't a strength I appreciate. Producing quality software on one closed hardware system isn't as difficult as developing an OS that runs on a myriad of machines and carriers, yet finds the same level of success. To me that's a big strength and one to appreciate.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:39 PM   #17
AluminumHaste
Radeon Arctic Islands

AluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAluminumHaste can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Never said that either. All I said was that iPhone is holding its own very well against Android with that limitation.
Yes you did

Quote:
strength of Apple. 1 phone 1 carrier
A strength being a plus. Follow? Limiting your business model to a single carrier like Apple has is just that; a limitation. Yes they are doing well despite that limitation, but how much better would they be doing if they didn't impose that limit?

Wait I thought you could get an iphone with other carriers now? I know in Canada I can get an iPhone 4 with at least 3 carriers, Rogers, Bell and Telus at least anyways.
AluminumHaste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 7, 2011, 04:48 PM   #18
wangFu
take him away!

wangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badgeswangFu doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by AluminumHaste View Post
Yes you did

A strength being a plus. Follow? Limiting your business model to a single carrier like Apple has is just that; a limitation. Yes they are doing well despite that limitation, but how much better would they be doing if they didn't impose that limit?

Wait I thought you could get an iphone with other carriers now? I know in Canada I can get an iPhone 4 with at least 3 carriers, Rogers, Bell and Telus at least anyways.
the same here, the only cdma network here even adopted gsm for the iphone 4, making it 3 networks with the phone here while only 2 carry android phones
Old Jan 7, 2011, 06:36 PM   #19
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Some might see it as a strength. You can't ignore that Apple has found a good amount of success with this formula. Having a closed system allows them more *control* over everything involved with their product. While I personally disagree with this approach for many reasons, I wouldn't call it "not a strength" it just isn't a strength I appreciate. Producing quality software on one closed hardware system isn't as difficult as developing an OS that runs on a myriad of machines and carriers, yet finds the same level of success. To me that's a big strength and one to appreciate.
Android overtaking proves its not a strength. People don't want one piece of hardware or one carrier, choice always wins at the end of the day.
Old Jan 7, 2011, 07:30 PM   #20
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

Subscriber

Quote:
Android overtaking proves its not a strength. People don't want one piece of hardware or one carrier, choice always wins at the end of the day.
Android catching up with Apple doesn't make the iphone less of a demonstration of their strength as a phone maker. You can argue against it but they've demonstrated that every time they put a new phone out it will sell at least a million units within a week. You can't pretend that isn't a powerful product.

Now if Google launches a cloud based competitor to the itunes store then we'll really have a fight on our hands.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jan 8, 2011, 07:57 AM   #21
Galmok
Rage3D Veteran

Galmok is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Android catching up with Apple doesn't make the iphone less of a demonstration of their strength as a phone maker. You can argue against it but they've demonstrated that every time they put a new phone out it will sell at least a million units within a week. You can't pretend that isn't a powerful product.
I would expect the majority of those 1 million buys were to replace the old iPhone and thus doesn't expand the marked share directly. Indirectly it will, as the old phones are getting sold...

The iPhone is much to expensive for what it offers (decent phone, good to bad network coverage, no freedom).
Galmok is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 01:20 AM   #22
FMT
Radeon Volcanic Islands

FMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFMT can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

With the amount of money Apple is making with 1 phone and 1 carrier now 2. Im sure they are crying themselves to sleep at night over figures about the rise of Android phones.....Not.

Apple has never been about marketshare, they make insane profit with the amount they have now.
FMT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 10:52 AM   #23
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Their earnings call is on tap for this afternoon. I'm sure they'd made an insane amount of money. They'll need it since the stock took a 4% dive this morning on the Steve Jobs illness news.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:26 AM   #24
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Their earnings call is on tap for this afternoon. I'm sure they'd made an insane amount of money. They'll need it since the stock took a 4% dive this morning on the Steve Jobs illness news.
Stock prices are only an indicator not a cause. Unless Apple needs to raise more capital, which they don't, their stock price doesn't matter. What matters is Steve Jobs has run Apple like a totalitarian cult of personality. Because he has not groomed a successor people are nervous that when he dies it will all fall apart.

Now I have played with an iphone 4g and it seems really nice but I don't think I could live with the limitations on what software I can and can't have. I also found the interface clean and organized but also very rigid. Android on the other hand has much more freedom to customize.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jan 18, 2011 at 11:29 AM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:43 AM   #25
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviphysics View Post

Now I have played with an iphone 4g and it seems really nice but I don't think I could live with the limitations on what software I can and can't have. I also found the interface clean and organized but also very rigid. Android on the other hand has much more freedom to customize.
Limitation examples?

Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:58 AM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Limitation examples?
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33971837

Old Jan 18, 2011, 11:59 AM   #27
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
I dont see his post in that thread? Im looking for his specific limitations rather than what everyone else thinks.

Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:11 PM   #28
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I dont see his post in that thread? Im looking for his specific limitations rather than what everyone else thinks.
The difference being? I don't really see how that changes anything.
Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:24 PM   #29
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
The difference being? I don't really see how that changes anything.
What one may find a limitation, another may not... every person is different.

Old Jan 18, 2011, 12:30 PM   #30
aviphysics
Atari 800 FTW

aviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird singsaviphysics knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Limitation examples?
Well for starters without jailbreaking every app has to be approved by Apple and bought through the app store.

For instance my favorite Android App, Swype, is not even in the android market but had it on my Nexus S in a few minutes. I have read they are developing a Swype app for iphone but if apple decides they don't like it for any reason it won't ever reach the public.

I also really like my google voice mail app and widget. As far as I know apple doesn't have widgets at all.

Not sure how iphone handles switching between tasks but I really like being able to be looking at something in yelp and then pop over to the webrowser to check the companie's web page and then pop back to yelp or go to google maps or call the company or recieve a call in Tango without loosing my spot in any of the programs. It all kind of reminds me of how apple fanboys always used to say that windows users like to use one program at a time but mac users like to use all their programs together (wich is total BS). Well now I think I can say pretty much the same thing about iphone BS or not.

None of this is to say that the iphone doesn't work or is terrible but that it does hand cuff the users to Steve Job's vision of how a phone should work.

Last edited by aviphysics : Jan 18, 2011 at 12:51 PM.
aviphysics is offline   Reply With Quote