Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Feb 21, 2002, 04:10 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Silentst2000
Radeon Southern Islands

Silentst2000 is still being judged by the masses

Talking Whoa and I thought athlon 8000 chipsets were going to be easy...

Old Feb 21, 2002, 08:41 AM   #2
Ristogod
Semper Vigilare

Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Ristogod once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

New processors. Sweet.

I hope the functions implemented in the new chips are revolutionary.

That never happens though!
Old Feb 21, 2002, 08:39 PM   #3
billyhansome
Radeon Arctic Islands

billyhansome is still being judged by the masses

I'm worried about the price.

The transaction also worries me. Yes, it has 32-bit coding, but sooner or later, it will go all hardware and you won't be able to use any of your 32-bits anymore and network them for a LAN competition.
Have a clever mind.
Master the basics.
billyhansome is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 21, 2002, 09:57 PM   #4
Bigus Dickus
Radeon Evergreen

Location: You know, I've seen some damn long descriptions of where people live, and I was just wondering how freakin' long of a location they actually allow you to write in here. Looks like it's quite a bit. Oh well, if the space is here I'll use it!!! :)
Bigus Dickus is still being judged by the masses

Question

??

The Hammer has a full x86 32 bit core... no emulation, no code morphing. It will always be able to run legacy OS's and software in full hardware mode, and be fully compatible with other 32 bit x86 systems.

??

IMO, Mr. Derek Smart is a hypocrite: Only someone who is either (a) lying (b) ashamed of their products (c) just plain ashamed, would hestitate to give out some simple and straight forward information. - Derek Smart, Ph.D.
Bigus Dickus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2002, 10:05 PM   #5
billyhansome
Radeon Arctic Islands

billyhansome is still being judged by the masses

yes, I know that, but if you read it carefully, i stated that AMD would go full hardware sooner or later. Why hold back 64-bit potential?
Have a clever mind.
Master the basics.
billyhansome is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2002, 07:01 AM   #6
nomad 128
Gamer for Life

nomad 128 is still being judged by the masses

Question

I didn't see any mention of Serial ATA support. Did I miss something?
Adaptec 29160N_Seagate SCSI X15 Cheetah's 15K RPM 36LP 18.4GB, 2x 15K RPM 36LP 36.7GB, Cheetah 10K RPM 73LP 73.4GB
Iomega SCSI internal ZIP 100MB, internal JAZ 1GB_Toshiba SCSI DVD 10X
Cooler Master ATC-111C-SX2_A+GPB 500 watt
Ortek MCK-142 Pro_Logitech TrackMan Wheel_FrontX port extender
Logitech MOMO Force_ThrustMaster Freestyler Bike PC_Belkin Nostromo N50 SpeedPad
CH Products Flight Sim Yoke USB, Fighterstick USB, Pro Pedals USB_Gravis Xterminator Force
Windows ME/2KPro dual-boot
nomad 128 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 25, 2002, 10:34 AM   #7
Nazgul
Radeon Evergreen

Nazgul is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by billyhansome
yes, I know that, but if you read it carefully, i stated that AMD would go full hardware sooner or later. Why hold back 64-bit potential?
I'm sure at some point AMD will drop 32-bit code from their high-end cpu's, but I don't see that happening for a good while yet. With the Hammer design, they have taken the stance that shunning 32-bit software right now is a Bad Thing(TM). The reasoning is simple, 64bit-only is too small a market. AMD is not in a position where they can force the computing world into anything, like Intel sometimes thinks it is(Rambus, what?). Why do you think AMD would do an about face on that philosophy later on and drop 32-bit support before the market is ready? And even if they do introduce a 64-bit only cpu in the near future, I'd bet significant amounts of money that they will have a 32-bit chip still available at the same time.

Nazgul, anxiously awaiting Hammer-time
"The Black Rider flung back his hood, and behold! he had a kingly crown; and yet upon no head visible was it set. The red fires shone between it and the mantled shoulders vast and dark. From a mouth unseen there came a deadly laughter. 'Old fool!' he said. 'Old fool! This is my hour. Do you not know Death when you see it? Die now and curse in vain!' And with that he lifted high his sword and flames ran down the blade."
Nazgul is offline   Reply With Quote