Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 1, 2019, 07:21 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I caved and picked this up for $49. Hope I don't regret it. The graphics and gameplay looked sweet, and I've been itching for a good single-player air combat game for years. Time to dust off my old Thrustmaster!
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2019, 08:58 AM   #32
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I caved and picked this up for $49. Hope I don't regret it. The graphics and gameplay looked sweet, and I've been itching for a good single-player air combat game for years. Time to dust off my old Thrustmaster!
No HOTAS support yet.

Game looks amazing.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2019, 09:13 AM   #33
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
No HOTAS support yet.

Game looks amazing.
That's ok, I just have the T.Flight stick. No HOTAS.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 1, 2019, 09:22 AM   #34
jjjayb
Rage3D Veteran

jjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjjjayb can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Can you use head tracking with this? It's been a while since I used my track-ir for anything.
Intel i7 7700k @ 5.0Ghz, ASUS Z270-Extreme4, EVGA GTX 1080ti SC2, 16GB EVGA DDR4-3200 Ram, Asus VG278 120hz monitor x 3, Corsair Hydro H60 water cooler, Creative SoundBlaster ZX, 2 x 500gb Samsung Evo 960 M.2 SSD, OCZ ZT 750W PSU, Cooler Master Maker 5 Case, Windows 10
jjjayb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:07 AM   #35
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjjayb View Post
Can you use head tracking with this? It's been a while since I used my track-ir for anything.
I don't believe so, did not see it on the options.

yoz
Old Feb 1, 2019, 10:27 AM   #36
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Mixed result on Steam review, mostly about no 4K support, no 21:9 support, no HOTAS. Only few mention the story, gameplay etc.

But IMO the story is very weak, it wasn't as good as the weakest AC04. Fighting drones are even more ludicrous. I'm on mission 15 now, and from what I read there's only 20 missions. Your teammates AI are as useless as ever, you can't give command to them and everything rely on you to finish the mission. The new weather system with icing problem and storm adds some difficulty, but most of the mission is being blinded in storm while you painstakingly looking to kill enemies before time expires is tiring. Those toxic people in reddit even calling this game 'Cloud Combat 7'

I tried playing multiplayer once, it CTD after the timer expires. So I won't bother touching it for now.

I fixed erratic controller problem, its just some planned obsolescence Sony put on this gamepad by using thin tapes on the contact to make it loose over time. Just by putting more tape on the contact fixed it.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.

Last edited by Apocalypsee : Feb 1, 2019 at 10:36 AM.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2019, 11:43 AM   #37
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

My T.Flight X stick doesn't work with the game. Plus I can set the res to 2560x1080 in game but it still plays in 1920x1080.

I know these are known issues, so I'm just going to shelve this until there are fixes.

I am disappoint.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 01:14 PM   #38
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
But IMO the story is very weak, it wasn't as good as the weakest AC04. Fighting drones are even more ludicrous. I'm on mission 15 now, and from what I read there's only 20 missions. Your teammates AI are as useless as ever, you can't give command to them and everything rely on you to finish the mission. The new weather system with icing problem and storm adds some difficulty, but most of the mission is being blinded in storm while you painstakingly looking to kill enemies before time expires is tiring. Those toxic people in reddit even calling this game 'Cloud Combat 7'
Wow...

Sure looks purty though.

yoz
Old Feb 1, 2019, 01:15 PM   #39
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
My T.Flight X stick doesn't work with the game. Plus I can set the res to 2560x1080 in game but it still plays in 1920x1080.
Make sure you select full screen and not the borderless it starts out with.

yoz
Old Feb 1, 2019, 02:26 PM   #40
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Make sure you select full screen and not the borderless it starts out with.
I did. I can get it to run in 1920x1080 stretched to 2560x1080 but it looks like crap that way.

It's not a big deal, actually. As much as I'd love to play in 21:9, the black bars on 16:9 don't bother me much.

I decided to stick with it a little longer before shelving it. Here are my thoughts:

Pros:
  • Shooting down enemy planes and bombers is a hoot.
  • Gorgeous graphics and weather effects.

Cons:
  • The voice acting is generally horrible and the in-mission music is distractingly bad. I turned the music off.
  • This is my first Ace Combat game. Has the story always been this nonsensical?
  • Bombs? I have bombs? How do I use them? There's no in-game help. Time to Google it cuz I'm dumb.
  • Joystick support requires you to either have the AC7-branded Thrustmaster HOTAS or figure out how to map your joystick so it acts like a gamepad. This will get fixed soon.
  • No native ultrawide resolution support.

Neutral:
  • I'd like to manually take off and land, but I get that this is an arcade game, not a sim.
  • It's nice to not worry about standard missile and gun ammo, but it's almost too easy to just spam AAMs at the target until one hits. Then again, I'm only a couple of missions into the campaign so maybe I'm doing it wrong.
  • No chaff or flares that I can tell. Just jinking to avoid incoming missiles. Again, I get that it's an arcade game, but that seems like a strange design choice.

Overall a 7/10 for me so far.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 03:40 PM   #41
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
I will not keep playing until they add HOTAS support. Can't fly with a controller.

EDIT: Some claim to have set flightstick to work as a Steam controller. Tried to but settings would not keep.

yoz

Last edited by acroig : Feb 1, 2019 at 04:40 PM.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 05:18 PM   #42
Sabadin
Radeon R520

Sabadin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Cons:
  • Joystick support requires you to either have the AC7-branded Thrustmaster HOTAS or figure out how to map your joystick so it acts like a gamepad. This will get fixed
Nope

https://mobile.twitter.com/TMThrustm...11828566081541

Quote:
Hello Everyone,
In regards to all your questions about other Thrustmaster flight sticks: we confirm that the only joysticks currently compatible with the PC version of the Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown are the T.Flight Hotas 4 and T.Flight Hotas One sticks.
Sabadin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2019, 05:36 PM   #43
Arrowhead
to the knee.

Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

They will regret launching this on the PC. Should have kept it on the consoles if they couldn't be assed to add basic PC specific features like customizable input devices and wide screen support.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2019, 06:13 PM   #44
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
[1]The voice acting is generally horrible and the in-mission music is distractingly bad. I turned the music off.

[2]This is my first Ace Combat game. Has the story always been this nonsensical?

[3]Bombs? I have bombs? How do I use them? There's no in-game help. Time to Google it cuz I'm dumb.

[4]It's nice to not worry about standard missile and gun ammo, but it's almost too easy to just spam AAMs at the target until one hits. Then again, I'm only a couple of missions into the campaign so maybe I'm doing it wrong.

[5]No chaff or flares that I can tell. Just jinking to avoid incoming missiles. Again, I get that it's an arcade game, but that seems like a strange design choice.
1 and 2. You can judge from previous game. Watch this, or just look for walkthrough for any Ace Combat (04, 5, Zero 6 etc) on Youtube:

3. Bombs are special weapon, some planes have it, some don't. Planes have 3 SP that you can purchase, ranging from long/short/medium/multiple target/quick maneuver air-to-air missile, air-to-ground missile, bombs, lasers etc. But you can only carry one type per mission.

4. On Hard you have limited guns ammo. But this is the first AC games that gives you missiles (not special ones) even when you depletes all of them.

5. There is flares in this one, there are no flares on previous AC games I play (starts from PSX and PS2). On my PS3 controller, to release flares press both analog stick together to release them.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old Feb 1, 2019, 07:14 PM   #45
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadin View Post
That blows really hard.

yoz
Old Feb 1, 2019, 07:56 PM   #46
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

How is the SP?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 1, 2019, 08:38 PM   #47
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I did. I can get it to run in 1920x1080 stretched to 2560x1080 but it looks like crap that way.

It's not a big deal, actually. As much as I'd love to play in 21:9, the black bars on 16:9 don't bother me much.

I decided to stick with it a little longer before shelving it. Here are my thoughts:

Thanks for the review! Watching gameplay, it looks like it could be a good replacement for great old games like X-Wing (just not in space ). I read in other reviews that the stories in Ace Combat games are always silly, though I've never played one myself.

I'm likely going to play with controller, though... you think I would need to invest in an actual stick to enjoy this? Also no 21:9 sucks, but I bet Flawlesswidescreen will add support.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2019, 08:10 AM   #48
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrowhead View Post
They will regret launching this on the PC. Should have kept it on the consoles if they couldn't be assed to add basic PC specific features like customizable input devices and wide screen support.
Or basic mouse support to menus.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 08:12 AM   #49
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jet Black View Post
Thanks for the review! Watching gameplay, it looks like it could be a good replacement for great old games like X-Wing (just not in space ). I read in other reviews that the stories in Ace Combat games are always silly, though I've never played one myself.

I'm likely going to play with controller, though... you think I would need to invest in an actual stick to enjoy this? Also no 21:9 sucks, but I bet Flawlesswidescreen will add support.
If this was a console-only title, the lack of basic PC-specific features could be forgiven. Bandai Namco clearly underestimates the fury of the PC Master Race scorned.

Regardless, it's a fun game if you pretend you're playing it on a console instead of the PC.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 07:53 PM   #50
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

I don't know why I felt like this game is like Star Wars TFA for AC games. They killed old character to focus on new. It felt rushed.

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:07 PM   #51
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Think too many of you are trying to play it as a SIM and not as an arcade flight game. The games were never serious and the flight mechanics were always simple. I have been playing them since the PSX days (Air Combat) and they haven't changed much.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 12:52 PM   #52
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by |MaguS| View Post
Think too many of you are trying to play it as a SIM and not as an arcade flight game. The games were never serious and the flight mechanics were always simple. I have been playing them since the PSX days (Air Combat) and they haven't changed much.
No argument there, it's still better with a HOTAS setup regardless.

yoz
Old Feb 3, 2019, 03:40 PM   #53
Sabadin
Radeon R520

Quote:
It's more due to the fact that these are features they said would be included during all the marketing hype, then not delivered. The port was delayed 2 weeks, asking full price, with missing features, and the preorder bonuses weren't even on par with the console versions. Accepting this kind of publisher behavior, even if the game itself is good, is how we ended up with garbage like loot boxes becoming commonplace.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 06:57 PM   #54
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sabadin View Post
It's more due to the fact that these are features they said would be included during all the marketing hype, then not delivered. The port was delayed 2 weeks, asking full price, with missing features, and the preorder bonuses weren't even on par with the console versions. Accepting this kind of publisher behavior, even if the game itself is good, is how we ended up with garbage like loot boxes becoming commonplace.
Well maybe don't preorder? That is the problem.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 08:06 PM   #55
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Yeah, I just found out pre ordering is evil.

yoz
Old Feb 3, 2019, 09:01 PM   #56
Sabadin
Radeon R520

Quote:
Oh I didn't, no way I'm giving Namco that level of faith.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 02:35 AM   #57
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

I finished the game yesterday. It was kinda meh. Too much 'fan service' if you played the series before. It take bits of all previous games and put it somewhere, for example the first few mission the 'Golem' squad if you hear it properly it sound like 'Galm' from Ace Combat Zero, short tunnel mission similar to 'Tunnel Vision' mission from Ace Combat 3 and few more. And the story is very weak and all over the place.

On the plus side, graphics is beautiful and music live up to previous games.

I'm playing it again on Ace difficulty since I already unlocked my favorite superplane, the X-02S. And plan to unlock few others like SU-57

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old Feb 4, 2019, 08:31 AM   #58
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
On the plus side, graphics is beautiful and music live up to previous games.

I'm playing it again on Ace difficulty since I already unlocked my favorite superplane, the X-02S. And plan to unlock few others like SU-57
Indeed, this game is made for graphics whores like me. Makes me long for the old Jane's games of old.

yoz
Old Feb 4, 2019, 09:57 PM   #59
acroig
Master Troll

Default How to use ANY hotas/joystick for Ace Combat 7

yoz
Old Feb 5, 2019, 12:23 AM   #60
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
You tried and played the game yet, or you wait for official fix?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.