Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jul 29, 2015, 07:58 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist is still being judged by the masses

Default Ori and The Blind Forest

Do we really not have a thread for this amazing little game?

http://store.steampowered.com/app/261570/

I just finished it and it's my GOTY 2015 so far. Up there on the pedestal with Portal, Braid, Limbo and Brothers: A Tale of Two Sons in terms of pure gameplay enjoyment.

Anyone played it?
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2015, 08:22 AM   #32
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

There is:

http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthre...t=blind+forest

The search engine here has basically been broken for years so it's hard to find older threads...
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:16 PM   #33
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

The search function works fine.

You just have to correctly spell what you're looking for, and hope the thread has the correct spelling too. Also, searching by title helps narrow results down.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:23 PM   #34
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

I searched by title for "Ori" in the gaming section and nothing came up.
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:28 PM   #35
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
The search function works fine.
Actually, it doesn't. The indexes are all screwed up so you get results that are either a few days old or are several months/years old. A majority of the time, I have to search by my username assuming I posted in the thread I'm looking for as the username search uses a different/better index. It's been this way for years. I know the forum software updates it's indexes at certain intervals, so the same searches return back different results at different times (it's almost as if the indexes never get fully rebuilt).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:29 PM   #36
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
I searched by title for "Ori" in the gaming section and nothing came up.
I don't believe you can use anything less than 4 letters for searches on this forum (it doesn't stop you, but I don't believe they will ever return back results).
Old Jul 29, 2015, 12:33 PM   #37
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
Actually, it doesn't. The indexes are all screwed up so you get results that are either a few days old or are several months/years old. A majority of the time, I have to search by my username assuming I posted in the thread I'm looking for as the username search uses a different/better index. It's been this way for years. I know the forum software updates it's indexes at certain intervals, so the same searches return back different results at different times (it's almost as if the indexes never get fully rebuilt).
Heh, I never notice any issues searching, but seems you're more familiar with the system than me.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 02:26 AM   #38
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Merged the two threads. Great game, but never finished it. I should at some point.
Old Jul 30, 2015, 09:45 AM   #39
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

I liked it but thought it was harder than it should have been.

The "escape the boss level" sequences really lose their impact and momentum the 20th time you have to restart them.

I also have a problem on principle with Metroidvania's that allow you to permanently miss upgrades.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:14 PM   #40
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Big news for Ori and the Blind Forest. Thomas Mahler from Moon Studios reveals an expansion coming to Windows 10 & Xbox One later this year
https://twitter.com/majornelson/stat...31239326085120
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2015, 12:49 PM   #41
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

YOSH! More ori!!!!
Old Aug 6, 2015, 01:40 PM   #42
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

"Big news for Ori and the Blind Forest. Thomas Mahler from Moon Studios reveals an expansion coming to Windows 10 & Xbox One later this year"

Windows 10?? It won't work on Windows 7 or 8?
Old Aug 6, 2015, 01:42 PM   #43
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Of course it will, it's an expansion for a game that already is available on win vista/7/8, that tweet is just an MS PR guy doing what an MS PR guy does.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2015, 03:20 PM   #44
Fat_Daddy_Cool
Poundmaker's Descent

Fat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete strangerFat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete strangerFat_Daddy_Cool once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
Did anybody get emotionally involved with the intro? I thought it was horribly forced and my eyes rolled out of their sockets.

So far this game looks great, but not much else is appealing to me. Seems I'm not really into these types of games (did not like Child of Light)
my daughter cried ......

got to me as well, as the idea of a kid losing everything in his world kinda hit a little to close to home for me.
Fat_Daddy_Cool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2015, 04:06 PM   #45
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fat_Daddy_Cool View Post
my daughter cried ......

got to me as well, as the idea of a kid losing everything in his world kinda hit a little to close to home for me.
This ^

It's a little forced, but it's still emotional and powerful.
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:40 AM   #46
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

There is a new extended version of the game. New areas and a couple new skills. You have to buy the full game again to get it, but it's got a discount going right now. Seems like you will have two editions in your libraryy, like guacamelee
Old Apr 28, 2016, 06:13 AM   #47
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshnutcrackr kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Didn't really like the game at first but it got a heap better as it went on. Some really amazing music / scenes in the back half.
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2016, 07:22 AM   #48
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

well, i really love games like Child of Light and being an Anime-Fan also helps. Maybe i should get this game and give it a whirl.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2016, 08:04 AM   #49
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

I didn't like Child of Light but Ori was my fav game of 2015!
Old Apr 28, 2016, 09:53 AM   #50
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Apparently in the Director's Cut, they came up with some method to allow you to 100% backtrack in the game.

In the original version, there were a couple areas that got permanently blocked off when completed and if you missed any upgrades, you could never get them.

That was one of my beefs with the game so it's good they addressed that. I'm not yet sure how they handled it though. I wonder if you just reset the areas to how they were before getting closed off and then re-run them.

They also add difficulty settings, though combat was never that difficult in the game - the platforming was. So I don't know if they straight up change level designs for the platforming to be easier, or if it's kind of a pointless change to the combat difficulty only.
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2016, 11:04 AM   #51
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
Didn't really like the game at first but it got a heap better as it went on. Some really amazing music / scenes in the back half.
Indeed Gareth does some sweet music.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 28, 2016, 12:10 PM   #52
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Well, I guess I'm glad I didn't pick this up yet.

I'll add the definitive edition to my wish list.
Old Apr 29, 2016, 12:00 AM   #53
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
Apparently in the Director's Cut, they came up with some method to allow you to 100% backtrack in the game.

In the original version, there were a couple areas that got permanently blocked off when completed and if you missed any upgrades, you could never get them.

That was one of my beefs with the game so it's good they addressed that. I'm not yet sure how they handled it though. I wonder if you just reset the areas to how they were before getting closed off and then re-run them.

They also add difficulty settings, though combat was never that difficult in the game - the platforming was. So I don't know if they straight up change level designs for the platforming to be easier, or if it's kind of a pointless change to the combat difficulty only.
You can teleport between wells now.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 09:40 AM   #54
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Super LTTP on this game but I'm now finally experiencing how awesome it is.

I bought it back in 2016 and like many Steam games just got backlogged for a good while. After finishing RE2 Remake I wanted to play something totally different. Been a while since I played a good platformer on PC so I fired this up.

Why oh why didn't I realize how great this game was and shouldn't have waited so long to play it!? Quite possibly could be IMO the best modern 2.5D platformer around right now. It just ticks all the right boxes for me. Tight controls, Metroid-like world exploration, great ability upgrades that just make the gameplay deeper as you go, beautiful atmosphere and setting, nice difficulty curve. I could go on.

I was hooked on this game all weekend and am on the final area now and have to admit I'm sad to see the end. I might rip through the game again afterwards on the harder difficulty now that I really know what I'm doing. Its just that good.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 09:45 AM   #55
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

Amazing game indeed. Wasn't there supposed to be Ori 2 by now?
Old Feb 19, 2019, 09:49 AM   #56
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
Amazing game indeed. Wasn't there supposed to be Ori 2 by now?
Ori and the Will of the Wisps? Current release date is just "2019."
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:16 AM   #57
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Ori and the Will of the Wisps? Current release date is just "2019."
Microsoft exclusive, so I would bet windows store and Xbox only.
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2019, 10:30 AM   #58
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Microsoft exclusive, so I would bet windows store and Xbox only.
As long as I can play the game hassle free.

For me it would be Windows store so hopefully they have fixed things since I last heard it was a train wreck.
Old Feb 19, 2019, 11:31 AM   #59
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

BTW, you can get the definitive Edition of the original one for around 6 bucks (instead of 19,99 at steam itself)

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2019, 06:24 PM   #60
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Super LTTP on this game but I'm now finally experiencing how awesome it is.

I bought it back in 2016 and like many Steam games just got backlogged for a good while. After finishing RE2 Remake I wanted to play something totally different. Been a while since I played a good platformer on PC so I fired this up.

Why oh why didn't I realize how great this game was and shouldn't have waited so long to play it!? Quite possibly could be IMO the best modern 2.5D platformer around right now. It just ticks all the right boxes for me. Tight controls, Metroid-like world exploration, great ability upgrades that just make the gameplay deeper as you go, beautiful atmosphere and setting, nice difficulty curve. I could go on.

I was hooked on this game all weekend and am on the final area now and have to admit I'm sad to see the end. I might rip through the game again afterwards on the harder difficulty now that I really know what I'm doing. Its just that good.

If you have not played it. Hollow Knight is almost as goode. Outland and Guacamelee come a re fair bit below that, but both of those are excellent too.

Also, did you play the ori version with the expansion, or just the original? cause the expansion is worth it!