Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Mar 2, 2016, 10:06 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Yep the game is one of my favorites and I still thinking about it from time to time, also listening to the soundtrack helps , but I rarely think about a game once I finish it.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 2, 2016, 09:34 PM   #122
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

it was pretty good. I found it overly first world problem-ish though.

the prep school teenage drama is kind of difficult to relate to because prep school days were the best days of my life. to think that anyone would find first world problems that lead to depression and worse, while living in the top 5% of a country that's a world leader and going to a liberal arts school, is just not something I can relate to.

Spoiled brats all of them.

luckily most of such drivel was in the first 2 episodes, and then it gets to actually interesting content.
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2016, 10:54 AM   #123
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

There were a few things about the school that were very different from my prep school, but maybe there is a fair amount of variety among them.

In my school, there was no graffiti anywhere. People were proud of the school and that they could be there so no one would have been defacing it.

Also, drug and alcohol use was less prevalent, and anybody who was using would have been much more discrete (i.e. do it while off-campus). No one wanted to risk getting kicked out when it was so hard to get in. So something like the Vortex Club party would have been a complete impossibility on our campus. Several seniors at my school were permanently expelled when drugs were discovered in their dorm rooms. Imagine four years of your parents paying prep school tuition and then having to get a GED and using that to try to get into elite colleges!

I don't think of bullying as a first-world problem. The isolation can truly make a person want to die, and at a boarding school it could potentially be much worse because you don't have anywhere or anyone (family) to retreat to. However, at my school, I didn't experience bullying. (I did to some extent before prep school.) I think the application process weeded out most jerks. There were of course some very rich kids going to that school but the cliques did not align all that much with social status. Lots of scholarship kids were close friends with multi-millionaires' kids.

On another topic...did the writers get something mixed up about the school? I could have sworn someone in episode 1 says that the school is a seniors-only school. But that contradicts the fact that Chloe attended a few years prior in both timelines (and is only a year older than Max), and that Max and Kate are considered new students this year (wouldn't everybody?).
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 3, 2016, 01:58 PM   #124
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
On another topic...did the writers get something mixed up about the school? I could have sworn someone in episode 1 says that the school is a seniors-only school. But that contradicts the fact that Chloe attended a few years prior in both timelines (and is only a year older than Max), and that Max and Kate are considered new students this year (wouldn't everybody?).
I don't recall Chloe ever going to Blackwell in either timeline. She may have in the original one, but dropped out. But I remember there was a letter in the alternate timeline where she couldn't get into Blackwell because it wasn't handicapped-accessible.

Which makes me ask a question: why was Chloe meeting Nathan Prescott in the school bathroom to begin with? Why would she meet somebody for illegal activities in a school bathroom that she a) wasn't a student of that school, and b) her stepfather is on the security force there? I know she doesn't like her stepfather, but she's not an idiot. And given how disdainfully she looks at the school and its students (and she doesn't know Max is a student there before Max saves her), it doesn't make sense to me why she would show up there at all.

Another question: if you choose to save the town, why can't you still save Chloe as well? Max uses the butterfly picture to go back to before Chloe is shot. But her actions and behavior once she gets there seem to indicate that she knows what's going to happen (she hasn't forgotten that she's seen the future). And it seems like she has plenty of time to act before Chloe gets shot once she gets there. So why doesn't she make some kind of distraction (as she does originally once she rewinds time), and stop Nathan that way? The game seems to say that the storm happened because Max kept using her powers to rewind time. Well, at that point, she has only done that once or twice. It just seemed like there was time to do something without rewinding again and again. At least that's how it came across to me from how that scene played out at the end. It seemed like the game was saying the storm happened because she kept rewinding time, not because she saved Chloe.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2016, 02:09 PM   #125
GanjaStar
Jalouise

GanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badgesGanjaStar doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
There were a few things about the school that were very different from my prep school, but maybe there is a fair amount of variety among them.

In my school, there was no graffiti anywhere. People were proud of the school and that they could be there so no one would have been defacing it.
same here. where did you go? I went to deerfield academy on the east coast. very strict compared to most. but at that time teens were not this "emo" as in the game, or maybe teens just look like that once you get older. But man, if you are getting bullied you stand up and say "don't do that", or you laugh it up. that's how i dealt with it, so people would never pick on me other than once. I did the same; pick on people sometimes, but all in jest. if it escalates to much, you stop.

to think that normal teenage behavior bullying, is really just a first world problem in a vast majority of cases.

Real bullying, if it happened in a boarding school, would lead to expulsion. these kids don't get metal detectors and similar crap most of the people in the states do, nor are they surrounded by poor and maladjusted teens from the ghetto or something. they are privileged, just like I was to go to such a place, so creating deep depression drama out of every day life as the top 5% is a bit too much, IMO.

there are bigger issues out there to get depressed about

anyways, that's why this game was for me just a very good game, not truly top shelf material. it took a bit to pick up from a sappy teenage drama. would have preferred episodes 3-7 instead of 1-5
GanjaStar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2016, 12:10 AM   #126
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

@wazman
In the normal timeline, Chloe got kicked out of Blackwell after a series of misdemeanors. You can look at her student record when they break into the principal's office. In the alternate timeline, Chloe was a 4.0 student at Blackwell but had to leave after her accident. I think it has been less than a year since her accident when you see her.

Last edited by TenFour : Nov 4, 2016 at 12:04 AM.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 30, 2016, 02:33 PM   #127
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by GanjaStar View Post
it was pretty good. I found it overly first world problem-ish though.

the prep school teenage drama is kind of difficult to relate to because prep school days were the best days of my life. to think that anyone would find first world problems that lead to depression and worse, while living in the top 5% of a country that's a world leader and going to a liberal arts school, is just not something I can relate to.

Spoiled brats all of them.

luckily most of such drivel was in the first 2 episodes, and then it gets to actually interesting content.
It does get better? Okay - I'm about 3 1/2 hours in, now into episode 2, and finding it quite uninspiring. There are a few plot points that I'm sort of interested in seeing where they are going, but overall I'm losing interest fast. I'll try to stick it out a bit longer though.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 1, 2016, 03:58 AM   #128
Deimos
Radeon Sea Islands

Deimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete strangerDeimos once held a door open for a complete stranger

I put it down at the start of ep 4, never finished it. It didn't find the story particularly engaging.

Mars:
Intel S2600CP4 | Dual Xeon E5-2670 (Octa core HT 3.3Ghz) | 64GB DDR3 ECC 1600Mhz | 2 x 120GB Vertex 3 SSD RAID 0 (OS) + 240GB Vertex 2 3.5" (VMs) | Intel RAID Module RMS25PB080 + 8 X 2TB WD RAID 5

Deimos on Steam
Deimos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2016, 01:47 PM   #129
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I finished this game yesterday. I pretty much played through nonstop over the past couple of days. Overall I thought it was a pretty good game, but unfortunately it got off to a bit of a slow start.

Game Play: 7/10
The game play was a step up from the Telltale games, as was the graphics. It actually felt like you could explore and interact with your environment, whereas in Telltale it feels more like you're just on a rail and have to click on a few things. The mystery parts where you had to put the clues together was also cool. On the whole, I'd describe the game play as being about half way between a Telltale game and an adventure game. However, the game play is still pretty basic for the most part.

Story: 8/10
The story was pretty well developed. I thought most of the characters were believable, and I especially liked that the characters were not black and white. Everyone had their flaws, and some of the people you may have thought were bad early on turned out to have redeeming qualities.

As I mentioned above, the biggest flaw with the story is that it gets off to a very slow start. The first episode with all of the teenage emo drama had me alternating between rolling my eyes and feeling bored. I just didn't find it very engaging. That drags on a little bit into episode 2, but the game slowly picks up the pace after that.

Story wise, I'm not sure exactly what they could have done to change that. I think the cliques, bullying and people being depressed felt more or less accurate, it just wasn't my cup of tea. At the same time, if they didn't build that base early in the story, then a lot of stuff wouldn't matter as much later on. A tough situation.

While the story was well crafted, I think this is an example that a well crafted story doesn't necessarily make for an engaging story. The overall development of the story may be a 9/10, but in terms of enjoyment the slow start really detracted from the experience for me.

Toward the end the story was much stronger. I especially liked the last episode, where you fly off to the art show, thinking you've fixed everything, only to be reminded of the tornado destroying the town. They really pulled that off well, as I had completely forgotten about the tornado. I totally thought that was the end of the game, and then it was like "Oh, ****!". It's just another example of how well crafted the story was, I just wish something could have been done to improve the beginning.

The end of game decision was also pretty tough. And I think it shows in that it's almost 50/50 for what people chose. (That being said, I always wonder how replays effect those stats, like if I reload to play the other ending that might defacto make the choice 50/50 in terms of the stats?)

Graphics/Sound: 8/10
The graphics weren't uber realistic, but they were pretty good for this sort of game, and definitely good enough to get the job done. The use of sound/music was also pretty well done in the game.

Overall: 8/10
I have somewhat mixed feelings about the game. It ended on a strong note, and I do think it's worth playing. However, the slow start weighed on my enjoyment of the game. It's technically better in most respects than any Telltale games, but those games (Walking Dead, Wolf Among Us) sucked me in right from the start and held me all the way to the end. The first 3-4 hours of Life Is Strange were only average, and getting through them was a struggle for me. The middle 5-6 hours were good, and the last 5-6 really sucked me in. It took me about 17 hours to play the game through, so the game was also of decent length if you explore the environment and experiment with rewinding.

Comparing to other games I've played, I'd say it's somewhere between a 7.5 and 8/10, so I'll be generous and give it an 8.

Last edited by Nagorak : Nov 26, 2016 at 02:03 PM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2016, 01:53 PM   #130
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Regarding the discussion of the school, etc. I think Blackwell was presented as being a bit of a basket case. Having a school where everything is going fine wouldn't make for much of a game. Also, in regards to the bullying, the social dynamics of teenage boys and girls is very different. With girls it's more about ostracizing and shaming those who aren't "in". Literally entire books have been written about this. But, anyway, it stands to reason that most of us here are probably men, so our experience will have been different.

I think the way people respond to the whole high school situation probably depends on their experience in high school. I'm not one who looks back to high school as the best time of my life. I thought high school was a pretty stupid time, with most of the other students being idiots who I just as soon would rather not have had to deal with. I wasn't bullied or picked on, but I also definitely wasn't in the "in crowd", and had no interest in getting involved in the sort of drama presented in the game. So, no surprise that that didn't exactly resonate with me.

The more closely you can relate to the main character, probably the better you'll like the first part of the game.

Quote:
Originally Posted by wazman View Post
Another question: if you choose to save the town, why can't you still save Chloe as well? Max uses the butterfly picture to go back to before Chloe is shot. But her actions and behavior once she gets there seem to indicate that she knows what's going to happen (she hasn't forgotten that she's seen the future). And it seems like she has plenty of time to act before Chloe gets shot once she gets there. So why doesn't she make some kind of distraction (as she does originally once she rewinds time), and stop Nathan that way? The game seems to say that the storm happened because Max kept using her powers to rewind time. Well, at that point, she has only done that once or twice. It just seemed like there was time to do something without rewinding again and again. At least that's how it came across to me from how that scene played out at the end. It seemed like the game was saying the storm happened because she kept rewinding time, not because she saved Chloe.
The basic premise at the ending was that changing the timeline is what caused the storm. Chloe was "meant" to die there. Therefore, Max could not intervene and had to let it happen. That was the only way to stop the storm.

Actually there was a bit of a Final Destination or Time Machine vibe to that whole story line, where Chloe keeps dying and Max has to keep trying to save her. Like, once she's been marked for death, no matter what you change, fate will always conspire to kill her again soon afterwards.

In that vein, I think choosing to let Chloe die was partially about accepting that you can't save her. That it simply wasn't meant to be.
Old Nov 26, 2016, 03:15 PM   #131
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

That's a good point. Especially now that I think about any time you try to help Chloe - it usually ends badly for her (like when you save her father, and then she ends up being paralyzed, which threatens to bankrupt her parents, etc) .

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 26, 2016, 08:04 PM   #132
Argoon1981
Radeon Northern Islands

Argoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete strangerArgoon1981 once held a door open for a complete stranger

This game is indeed fantastic one of my favorites.
Creative SB Audigy 4
W10 64bits

My modeling portfolio
Argoon1981 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2018, 12:31 PM   #133
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

So $5 bucks on Steam right now, worth it I assume?
Old Jun 26, 2018, 06:57 PM   #134
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
If you like adventure games, or emotional journeys then absolutely.
Old Jun 26, 2018, 08:55 PM   #135
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Buy it... I just finished it...

btw.. Love all the twin peaks references in the game.

The ending music was fantastic.
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2018, 06:23 AM   #136
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Yeah, I bought it.

I'm not really liking it but I'm not hating it either so far.

It's social teen emo drama with a rewind time one trick pony. Meh. Maybe there is more, dunno yet, I just took a truck ride to Cloe's house.

For $5 I'm not going to complain. I'm finding I'm rarely rewinding and more just trying to advance the story to see if it gets more interesting somehow.
Old Jun 28, 2018, 07:00 AM   #137
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Evileh liked it because he wanted some half naked lesbo action.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 28, 2018, 12:36 PM   #138
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete strangerEvileh once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Evileh liked it because he wanted some half naked lesbo action.
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2018, 10:21 PM   #139
Nagorak

Quote:
Yeah, I bought it.

I'm not really liking it but I'm not hating it either so far.

It's social teen emo drama with a rewind time one trick pony. Meh. Maybe there is more, dunno yet, I just took a truck ride to Cloe's house.

For $5 I'm not going to complain. I'm finding I'm rarely rewinding and more just trying to advance the story to see if it gets more interesting somehow.
As I said in my review, the first part of the game is slow. It gets a lot better after the first couple of episodes, and then keeps picking up steam until the end.
Old Feb 2, 2019, 08:06 AM   #140
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Finally finished this. My opinion is unchanged. Was ok, not great.

Was like watching a teen movie with path choices so you can somewhat direct the show.

The ending choice was disappointing. There should of been a third choice where the Bay and Chloe are ok BUT Max sacrifices herself.