Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Oct 3, 2018, 07:51 AM   #631
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

So finally upgraded to the GTX 1080 so I can play this in VR.
After a lengthy discussion, it looks like the Viggen will be my first purchase. Harrier is tempting as well, (as is the F18) but those are so incomplete it makes me a bit leery of jumping on board.

That said, the free F18 weekend let me spend an hour in the cockpit, do a cold start, and fly a jet at low level and speeds around 600kph.

Dream Accomplished.

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2018, 03:17 PM   #632
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I doubt we’ll see it for years because the latter is still quite new, but I’d love to see an accurate model of the F22 or F35. The technology on those jets should stomp anything else in the game
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2018, 03:50 PM   #633
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

Could be interesting but I've heard so many stories about the level of automation on these aircraft I wonder if they might not be less fun to fly than some of the older birds.

Part of what I loved about the Mig-21 and Mi-8 was the pilot workload.

John C Flett is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 3, 2018, 03:52 PM   #634
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I doubt we’ll see it for years because the latter is still quite new, but I’d love to see an accurate model of the F22 or F35. The technology on those jets should stomp anything else in the game
Expect the F-16 around 2020, according to their current roadmap.
(Along with the F4E Phantom)

I'm thinking I'll go Viggen then F-18. Although a part of me wants to go straight to the F-18....

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.

Quote:
Old Oct 3, 2018, 03:52 PM   #635
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Yes the F22/F35 are quite automated. Truthfully there is no other jet in the game that could even compare. The stealth capabilities are untouchable and the F22 could target any jet in the game without being seen.

It is automated but that’s what makes it so awesome imo. The technology is fascinating. Having sat in the cockpit of one .. it’s wild.

For fun though nothing beats the WW2 days. Dogfighting was great.

The F-16 would get massacred by an F22/F35. They’d be targeted before they even knew. The F22 is significantly more powerful too, able to chase down and/or run away if by some miracle the F-16 is able to target, which is unlikely.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 6, 2018, 12:59 AM   #636
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sMashPiranha is still being judged by the masses

https://www.digitalcombatsimulator.c...pg_map_bundle/

New bundle pack is a good deal for anyone interested in FA-18, available til October 21
sMashPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 7, 2018, 11:46 PM   #637
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

F-14 now pre-orderable from https://store.heatblur.com/

Old Oct 8, 2018, 08:58 PM   #638
A2597
A Peculiar Person

That trailer makes me want the f14 so bad.
But I'll work my way up to it.

Quote:
Old Oct 12, 2018, 09:45 AM   #639
A2597
A Peculiar Person

For those wanting a jet with an interactive cockpit, there's a free community made MB-339/PAN out.
While not as complete as the paid modules, (specifically the flight model needs work, not based on the real plane) it is a lot of fun to fly, and even has some weapons capability. Took it out for a spin in a quick mission after firing it up.

Note you'll have to bind some controls for it, but once you do it works great!
https://forums.eagle.ru/showthread.php?t=169358

Quote:
Old Oct 12, 2018, 01:10 PM   #640
Arrowhead
to the knee.

Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Arrowhead once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by sMashPiranha View Post
F-14 now pre-orderable from https://store.heatblur.com/

That is beyond awesome. I can't wait to shoot off some AIM-54s.
Arrowhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2018, 09:48 AM   #641
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Just purchased the F-18.
So much to learn, but loving it. Coming from years and years of flight sims, this thing is a dream. Especially in VR.

Quote:
Old Dec 4, 2018, 07:38 AM   #642
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Just nailed my first carrier landing!
(As in, first time I successfully landed on the boat...my first attempt crashed. And the next. And the next. And the next. Landing on an aircraft carrier is *not* easy. I've never messed up a landing at an airport, but the boat? Uuugghhh)

Still learning weapons on this thing. Getting better at AG, and have a single AA kill now.

Quote:
Old Dec 13, 2018, 09:35 AM   #643
A2597
A Peculiar Person

This game guys...seriously. So rewarding to learn things in this game. Nothing is easy. Toss bombing, CCIP, Auto bombing, laser/IR guided munitions, aerial combat. There is so much stuff to do and to learn that it's almost overwhelming, but just taking it one piece at a time and having fun doing it...MAN so much fun!

Also, the mission editor. The mission editor is amazing.
I generated a quick mission, and have been slowly tinkering with it. Now when I load it up Two A-10s will Taxi in front of me while I'm doing my cold-start, a few moments later some F-16s will fly a few hundred feet overhead, and lastly two Apache's will be taking off roughly the same time I'm taxi-ing to the Runway.

This serves to both make it feel like "I need to get in the action now!" but also re-enforce which direction the enemy is.

While that is happening, two Mig-29s are starting up at an opposing runway on the other side of enemy forces. So shortly after you take off and get into battle, they will arrive, giving you the chance to switch from ground pounding to air to air.

And let me tell you, does that feel AMAZING to pull off for the first time. Switching from AG to AA then back after winning a dogfight. Buahaha!

Quote:
Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:10 AM   #644
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

DCS is great. I have about 500hrs and still have so much to learn. The depth and variety is without equal in my experience.

Plus, having just got my Vive, I now have a whole new experience. I'm still unsure about using it for the more advanced aircraft but flying the Huey, Hip and Mustang in VR is amazingly immersive.

Old Dec 13, 2018, 10:33 AM   #645
A2597
A Peculiar Person

I have 40 hours in game, 100% of those in VR. Started with the free MB-339, then got the F/A-18C. Both full clicky cockpits. Running at a PD of 1.5 it works perfectly find IMHO.

Quote:
Old Dec 26, 2018, 11:48 AM   #646
Silver_Dragon
Radeon R520

Silver_Dragon is still being judged by the masses

Silver_Dragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 28, 2018, 01:46 PM   #647
Silver_Dragon
Radeon R520

Old Dec 31, 2018, 05:26 AM   #648
Silver_Dragon
Radeon R520

DCS World 2.5 Week Update 30 December 2018 English version
Old Jan 7, 2019, 04:03 PM   #649
Silver_Dragon
Radeon R520

DCS World 2.5 Week Update 06 January 2019 English version
Old Jan 7, 2019, 04:34 PM   #650
A2597
A Peculiar Person

So awhile back I had my first successful carrier landing. That was a straight on approach, not a case 1.

Finally had the case 1 carrier landing yesterday. Broke my right landing strut, but hey, any landing you can walk away from right?
Not an easy feat. Landing on a runway is a breeze compared to the carrier...

Quote:
Old Jan 12, 2019, 03:06 AM   #651
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

I actually have a much better luck with carrier landings than runway landing, but then I'm usually flying Mig21 and get blown to pieces before I get a chance to land anyway.
Really looking forward to the Mig19 and 23. Bought the Mig15 and Normandy map in the sale.
Old Jan 12, 2019, 10:20 AM   #652
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

g-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Good lord 50 euro's for a copy of the Vegas map.

It's only because they're literally the only combat flight sim game that i really want to support the game but ... I wish they'd choose something different and not another desert map wtf.

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
COrsair 8GB DDR3 1600 mhz
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Coolermaster 1000 watt PSU
Samsung w840(?) SSD
http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

Martin Slater, 2K games, (Bioshock) about piracy:
"You can't afford to be cracked. As soon as you're gone, you're gone, and your sales drop astronomically if you've got a day-one crack"
g-a-m-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 12, 2019, 11:23 AM   #653
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

Well, at the time it was different as all we had when it came out was the Caucasus.

It also makes sense for Red Flag.

It's a good looking map but I'd say wait as it goes on 50% off often enough.

Old Jan 15, 2019, 04:46 AM   #654
Silver_Dragon
Radeon R520

DCS World 2.5 Week Update 13 January 2019 English version
Old Jan 15, 2019, 07:22 AM   #655
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-a-m-e View Post
Good lord 50 euro's for a copy of the Vegas map.

It's only because they're literally the only combat flight sim game that i really want to support the game but ... I wish they'd choose something different and not another desert map wtf.
you *just* missed the 50% off sale man...

Quote:
Old Jan 20, 2019, 10:25 PM   #656
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

Couple of reviews of the CE2

Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:23 PM   #657
Silver_Dragon
Radeon R520

DCS World 2.5 Week Update 20 January 2019 English version
Old Jan 29, 2019, 07:09 PM   #658
Silver_Dragon
Radeon R520

DCS World 2.5 Week Update 27 January 2019 English version
Old Feb 5, 2019, 07:57 AM   #659
Silver_Dragon
Radeon R520

DCS World 2.5 Week Update 03 February 2019 English version
Old Mar 7, 2019, 09:35 AM   #660
A2597
A Peculiar Person

Too epic not to share...All my flight time is in VR.

Flying an F18 armed with 8 bombs and two missiles. Early morning mission, foggy conditions on the deck of the carrier.

Takeoff, and fly into a holding pattern near the carrier group. My primary target is a number of bombers at an enemy airfield. A Harrier flight ahead of me is preforming a SEAD mission to take out the SAM site while I hold position near the ships. The carrier group had also launched cruise missiles to soften the target. (Amazing to take off watching cruise missiles being fired by the destroyer accompanying the carrier!) Wind up Intercepting two enemy Migs, took out one and assisted in taking out the other. Watched him shoot my wingman as my missile hit him. Wingman was still flying, gave him the order to return to base, he replied it wasn't possible and ejected safely. While in the dogfight, the Harrier group gave the all clear, SAM sites destroyed. So I move on to the primary target by myself.

I did my bombing run along the airfield, taking out enemy bombers on the ramp. The enemy commander was evacuating in a helicopter, and a single Mig had successfully taken off. Dealt with the mig, and returned for a guns kill on the copter, killing the enemy commander. (took out the tail rotor, watched in spin wildly and crash into the like in a movie, sans fireball)

I Return to base, the fog hadn't cleared so I had to do an ICLS carrier landing. Contacted the ship, got clearance, locked in on the TACAN signal and ICLS signal...trimmed out my plane...and managed to catch the 4 wire. Couldn't see the carrier until I was about 5-7 seconds from landing, and ALMOST missed it, at about a quarter mile out I fell below the glidescope, and had to kick in the afterburners to bring it back up, but then the momentum carried me a little high. Managed to save it. My first low visibility carrier landing.

Raised the tail hook, and immediately taxied to the parking area to clear the flight deck. Was shaking for a good 5 minutes after that landing. I had such a good flight, and my first thought going into the landing was "If I mess this up, it will ruin all the success before it". But had a good landing...WHEW!

Quote: