Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Feb 19, 2019, 08:15 PM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
If you have not played it. Hollow Knight is almost as goode. Outland and Guacamelee come a re fair bit below that, but both of those are excellent too.

Also, did you play the ori version with the expansion, or just the original? cause the expansion is worth it!
I played the definitive edition of Ori. It was part of the reason i waited to play it.

I played through Guacamelee and loved it. Need to get the sequel at some point. I have Outland but haven't played it yet, might do that one next.

Hollow Knight is on the wishlist.

The other platformer i really want to play right now is The Messenger. Should have grabbed that on the holiday sale.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2019, 01:52 AM   #62
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

"The Messenger" looks like a C-64 game, that's a bit too "Retro" for me, but Ori was awesome. Hollow Knight was great too, i'm sure you'll love it.

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2019, 08:48 AM   #63
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
"The Messenger" looks like a C-64 game, that's a bit too "Retro" for me, but Ori was awesome. Hollow Knight was great too, i'm sure you'll love it.
Yeah its inspired by the 8-bit generation. To each his own but gameplay is always front and center for me. But I love those types of pixelated graphics anyways.

I play tons of actual retro games not just for nostalgia but because a lot of them play better than modern games do. No wonder there's been a resurgence of retro inspired indie games. Sadly I think too many people get hung up on graphics and miss out on some stellar gameplay. Another recent example is Bloodstained Curse of the Moon. Just read some of the reviews for The Messenger and you'll get an idea of how good it is.

Definitely not a popular stance at a graphics card forum though.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Feb 20, 2019, 09:18 AM   #64
zcaa0g

zcaa0g is still being judged by the masses

"Art style" is typically a nice way of saying "bad graphics". In the vast majority of cases, art style either comes down to budget constraints or actual technical capability or lack thereof when it comes to graphic fidelity.

Side scroller games like Super Meatboy, Rogue Legacy and Shovel Knight are a perfect example of that. Those aren't retro graphics truly by decision, the designers simply didn't have the budget or technical capability from a graphics standpoint. Side scrollers done right in terms of graphic fidelity AND game-play are Ori, Trine 1 and 2 and Shadow Complex.

Obvious exceptions in regards to art styles are the Mario Brothers series and the Borderlands series. It works and was intentional in those design scenarios. Although, I wish Borderlands would have stuck with the original vision from a graphics standpoint.

The year is 2019 and 3D accelerators have been around for almost 25 years now. the whole game-play over graphics tag line just doesn't wash any more.

Good graphics assumed, good game-play expected.
zcaa0g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2019, 09:50 AM   #65
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
*** gameplay over graphic***.
yep, sure enough. But still i'm having a hard time when it's getting too pixelated, as you said to each their own.

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2019, 09:54 AM   #66
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by zcaa0g View Post
"Art style" is typically a nice way of saying "bad graphics". In the vast majority of cases, art style either comes down to budget constraints or actual technical capability or lack thereof when it comes to graphic fidelity.

Side scroller games like Super Meatboy, Rogue Legacy and Shovel Knight are a perfect example of that. Those aren't retro graphics truly by decision, the designers simply didn't have the budget or technical capability from a graphics standpoint. Side scrollers done right in terms of graphic fidelity AND game-play are Ori, Trine 1 and 2 and Shadow Complex.

Obvious exceptions in regards to art styles are the Mario Brothers series and the Borderlands series. It works and was intentional in those design scenarios. Although, I wish Borderlands would have stuck with the original vision from a graphics standpoint.

The year is 2019 and 3D accelerators have been around for almost 25 years now. the whole game-play over graphics tag line just doesn't wash any more.

Good graphics assumed, good game-play expected.
While I agree in most cases developers choose to make retro visually-inspired games due to budget and talent constraints, I think its disingenuous not to say there are also developers who love retro graphics and want to make games in that style. I'm willing to bet a game like Shovel Knight would not have been as successful if it wasn't made in the retro style. That level of old school charm is what captured its audience.

Not to mention, there certainly is a market for it. Retro gaming and collecting has exploded over the past 5-10 years and that renewed interest in old games has spilled over into the modern indie scene. Its a fact people enjoy playing games with the look and feel of classics from the 8-bit generation. I know its tough for a lot of modern gamers to understand people actually enjoy "bad graphics" but they do.

Also, my comment about game-play over graphics is more so when comparing tried and true classic gameplay to what's in newer modern games where the emphasis is all too often put on publisher business models and making these long epic and drawn out blockbuster budget type games, rather than short simple challenging and fun. So my comment was probably misdirected. There's a certain rewarding feeling of accomplishment I'll get from games that have that "NES hard" type level of gameplay, that I rarely see in modern games, and the nostalgia factor is always a nice bonus.
Old Feb 20, 2019, 02:20 PM   #67
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Have had this forever as well and hadn’t given it a try, was going to play on PC but don’t have the definitive addition so I have moved to the X1X and playing that edition with the peasant pass! (For those not in the know gamepass )
Nascar24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 20, 2019, 02:38 PM   #68
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Have had this forever as well and hadn’t given it a try, was going to play on PC but don’t have the definitive addition so I have moved to the X1X and playing that edition with the peasant pass! (For those not in the know gamepass )
I'm happy to see my bumping this thread inspired someone else to fire the game up. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
Old Feb 20, 2019, 06:43 PM   #69
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
I'm happy to see my bumping this thread inspired someone else to fire the game up. Hope you enjoy it as much as I did!
It does seem like a decent game I will enjoy playing through, I was like wait a min. I should be able to get this out of the Windows store since I have game pass and its a Microsoft studio game now, but to my dismay its not a part of game pass PC which is kind of mind boggling to me.
Nascar24 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 21, 2019, 10:06 AM   #70
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
It does seem like a decent game I will enjoy playing through, I was like wait a min. I should be able to get this out of the Windows store since I have game pass and its a Microsoft studio game now, but to my dismay its not a part of game pass PC which is kind of mind boggling to me.
Yeah apparently from what I've heard Xbox Game Pass games that can be installed on PC is limited. Seems like it would be an awesome service if all the games you could get on Xbox One could also be accessed on PC but I guess that's asking too much.
Old Feb 21, 2019, 03:25 PM   #71
zizbuka
Judgemental Old Guy

zizbuka is still being judged by the masses

Ori kinda reminds me a bit of Dust: An Elysian Tail, another game I really enjoyed playing. I go through spells with 2d platformers, they're mostly just good pick up & play games.

Another I really liked, but I can't really explain why, was Oozi: Earth Adventure.
zizbuka is offline   Reply With Quote