Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:31 AM   #6991
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
What was flawed in mission design? Missions are linear as should be the case.
The missions are so linear, they take away almost all player agency. There are very, very few instances where you as the player have anything to say in the missions, any choice to make, any meaningful way to consider your approach. The game is incredibly quick to give a fail state / mission fail / game over screen to any notion the player might have. Sometimes it's because you're deviating from the path and working against the game, sometimes it's because you're too quick, sometimes it's a wrong button press, and often it's something ridiculous.

In a game that's as open world as RDR2, I think it's the wrong design choice to make, to force the player into a very linear path in what's otherwise a very open world game. See HITMAN, Far Cry 3 or Assassin's Creed: Origins for examples of missions that do give the player more freedom. RDR2 doesn't need total freedom (that'd get in the way of the story), but I feel the balance between doing exactly what the developer wants exactly when they want you to, and being free to do whatever kind of crap you want and let the simulation handle it, is off in RDR2.
Old Jan 5, 2019, 10:51 AM   #6992
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

At least FC3 and ACO have exactly the same ideas on mission design. You have multiple approaches but generally the area is designated and moving away from it causes mission failure. I do recognize that RDR2 has almost all missions completely linear but it also makes for incredibly amazing set pieces and fire fights. You can't have it all.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2019, 04:25 PM   #6993
Kain
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Kain once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Finished the main story in Marvel's Spider-Man on PS4 Pro. Great game. Not sure if I'll go back to do the side stuff.
Intel Core i7-3930K | Corsair Hydro Series H100 with 2 x Scythe GentleTyphoon 1850 rpm fans | GIGABYTE GA-X79-UD3 | 16 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum DDR3 2133 MHz | EVGA GeForce GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 GAMING | Creative Sound Blaster X-Fi Titanium HD | Crucial m4 256 GB | Western Digital Caviar Black 2 TB | Pioneer BDR-206DBK | Corsair Professional Series Gold AX850 | Corsair Obsidian Series 650D | ASUS ROG Swift PG279Q | 2 x JBL LSR305 + 1 x JBL LSR310S | Microsoft SideWinder X4 | Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum | SteelSeries QcK mini | Microsoft Windows 10 Pro 64-bit
Kain is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 8, 2019, 04:56 PM   #6994
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
Haha, said everyone ever Hope you enjoy it! Just take your time and dont rush anything. Also, stongly advise not usng fast travel for at least the first 10-15 hours of the game. Makes the whole world feel even more special.
Finally reached Skellige. Level 19, did everything I could do in Vellen. Such an amazing game so far.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2019, 10:19 PM   #6995
MNB4800
Radeon Sea Islands

MNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird singsMNB4800 knows why the caged bird sings

More Monster Hunter World; Farmed Arch Tempered Teostra, farmed Behemoth. Currently farming Kulve Taroth. Love how chill and still fun game. This is my current go to game!

Playing the Vagrant which is close in art to Dragon's Crown (still waiting for it on PC :/). Surprisingly fun side scroller despite the "exposure".

On PS4 playing, for the first time ever, Shadow of the Colossus Remastered! What a game! Can't believe this is a PS2 era game. It has aged so well, it still beats a lot of stuff released later.

The occasional Soul Calibur 6 and DBFZ matches because I just love fighting games.
Steam ID: Vayne4800, Origin: Vayne4800, Battletag: Vayne#2528
MNB4800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:44 AM   #6996
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNB4800 View Post
Playing the Vagrant which is close in art to Dragon's Crown (still waiting for it on PC :/). Surprisingly fun side scroller despite the "exposure".
Got this too, played a bit, does seem like a pretty goode game. I'd recommend it to anyone who likes side scrolling action or rpgs.
Old Jan 9, 2019, 02:57 AM   #6997
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Progressed a lot in Kingdom Come Deliverance - Done all the side quests that I could find and have been working on main quests now. Im rich enough, have great armor/sword and killing stuff aint a problem anymore! ^_^
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 07:19 AM   #6998
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Played a bit of Shadow of Tomb Raider. Bored to death, only played about 30 minutes. Yesterday I play Star Wars KoTOR on my retro windows XP PC, I glued in my seat for 2 straight hours, and I'm still on Taris. How come old games that I already know be more fun than new games I've yet to finish?
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 11, 2019, 11:35 PM   #6999
ugly
Radeon R420

ugly is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
Played a bit of Shadow of Tomb Raider. Bored to death, only played about 30 minutes. Yesterday I play Star Wars KoTOR on my retro windows XP PC, I glued in my seat for 2 straight hours, and I'm still on Taris. How come old games that I already know be more fun than new games I've yet to finish?
Well, a good game is a good game. KOTOR should work on a modern system. There is a widescreen mod too.
ugly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 13, 2019, 04:11 AM   #7000
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by ugly View Post
Well, a good game is a good game. KOTOR should work on a modern system. There is a widescreen mod too.
Yea it'll work in my main system but I just love using period correct system to run it Made me remember how I started PC gaming and have to tweak things or two before it'll run smoothly. It made playing the game more enjoyable after all the hard work

Well Shadow of Tomb Raider made 2nd in Blandest Game in 2018 as per Yahtzee Zero Punctuation list, the previous Shadow of Tomb Raider reached 3rd in 2017. Yep that shows how boring that game is.

If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old Jan 14, 2019, 09:02 AM   #7001
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Finished my first run through Detroit Becoming Human on PS4. Amazing game. looking forward to the 2nd run. I had been playing Switch and Xbox for so long I made more than a few wrong choices because I had forgot the button locations and it totally changed the story based on those incorrect button presses.

Fairly sure this will will be one of my all time favorite games after a few runs.
Old Jan 20, 2019, 03:41 PM   #7002
twonha
Yods be silent!

twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'twonha once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Started playing Prey, thinking it'd be the least interesting game on the current list of games I'm going through. It hasn't really gotten a lot of press, good or bad, since its release in 2017. Boy I hope I'm right, because I'm loving it so far: if this is the least interesting game I've got, I have a lot of good times ahead.

Prey's opening (combat) scenes feel challenging, mind bending, fascinating - I'm just an hour or so in, less if you rush it, and I'm already creeped out by its setting, story, enemies and combat. Some of it is typical sci-fi, some of it builds on what other shooters have done before (Bioshock, FEAR, Half-Life 2), but it really gels well together.

Judging from Dishonored and the opening play areas of Prey, Arkane Studios are masters of their craft. With most of Prey and all of Dishonored 2 to go, I think I did well buying both in the combo deal (€22) during the Christmas sale.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 12:31 AM   #7003
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by twonha View Post
Started playing Prey, thinking it'd be the least interesting game on the current list of games I'm going through. It hasn't really gotten a lot of press, good or bad, since its release in 2017. Boy I hope I'm right, because I'm loving it so far: if this is the least interesting game I've got, I have a lot of good times ahead.

Prey's opening (combat) scenes feel challenging, mind bending, fascinating - I'm just an hour or so in, less if you rush it, and I'm already creeped out by its setting, story, enemies and combat. Some of it is typical sci-fi, some of it builds on what other shooters have done before (Bioshock, FEAR, Half-Life 2), but it really gels well together.

Judging from Dishonored and the opening play areas of Prey, Arkane Studios are masters of their craft. With most of Prey and all of Dishonored 2 to go, I think I did well buying both in the combo deal (€22) during the Christmas sale.
Arkane have made many amazing games over the years, not just those two.
Old Jan 21, 2019, 08:29 AM   #7004
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Finished Kingdom Come. I think their main story was way too short. It needed a lot more build up and way more "events" to give the characters a chance to evolve. The main missions/big fights were also very, very shallow. The way the game would "load" a e.g 15v15 battle and then when you are done, jankely go into a loading screen to load the "next phase" of the battle felt sooo controlled. And it didnt help that almost every time i just ran around behind them all and stab stab stab stab stab without taking a hit. The combat in this game really only works (/is enjoyable) in 1v1 fights. Even so I look forward to a future game, hopefully it'll be much more polished, run better and have more content in terms of main story (amount of side stuff was fine, I dont need 10000 quests).

Started Mass Effect Andromeda now, only done the tutorial so far. The game made my PC reset twice so far (once right after launching the game, before reaching the menu). I was considering instant refund since i have no patience for this crap but I found someone mentioning the frame buffer setting being on full could cause this so I changed to "compressed/32 bit" and no crash so far. FPS is fine, game runs great. FOV is weird, like when you go into "aim mode" it shrinks to like what? 35 degrees? And if you up the FOV multiplier in options to get aim mode somewhat decent, you instead enjoy fish eye FOV of like 120 in exploration camera instead. Too early to comment on gameplay, but i started on hardest difficulty and enmies are VERY spongy.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Old Jan 21, 2019, 11:17 AM   #7005
twonha
Yods be silent!

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
Arkane have made many amazing games over the years, not just those two.
I count three (Arx Fatalis, Dark Messiah and Bioshock 2). I skipped them all though - didn't always like RPGs, had my fill of Bioshock after the first game. So Dishonored is their only game that I finished, and I've now started Prey.

One of the few developers with a near-flawless track record in my opinion, even if not all their games are for me.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 08:35 PM   #7006
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

For record keeping, finished Spider Man DLC 1 in Jan.
Finished RE2 and Ass Creed DLC 2.
Working on BFV campaign and Spider Man DLC 2 and 3.
Old Feb 3, 2019, 09:46 PM   #7007
Megaman
Packing heat!

Megaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshMegaman kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
For record keeping, finished Spider Man DLC 1 in Jan.
Finished RE2 and Ass Creed DLC 2.
Working on BFV campaign and Spider Man DLC 2 and 3.
I finished with your mum last night and expect to start a new campaign again. No DLC here.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 8, 2019, 02:38 PM   #7008
KAC
KAC

Finished Spider Man DLC2.
Old Feb 11, 2019, 10:11 AM   #7009
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Finished FC5 Lost on Mars DLC
Old Feb 12, 2019, 07:48 PM   #7010
KAC
KAC

Finished Spider Man DLC3.
Old Feb 13, 2019, 05:13 PM   #7011
twonha
Yods be silent!

Steam counts 28 hours played for Prey, and I'm still loving the **** out of playing Detective Spider Assassin with Technological Tools of Destruction. I've become powerful, and started what I think might be the final third or so of the game. It's expansive, with one of the best video game settings I've ever encountered.

It's a bit of a catastrophe that more people haven't jumped in on this game.
Old Feb 14, 2019, 07:08 AM   #7012
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Somehow Shadow of Tomb Raider grows on me, exploring wasnt so bad after all, and doing puzzle seems interesting. After that the game suddently being rambo giving me LMG and shooting an attack helicopter. That is so random. Pacing in this game is very weird. I think Im in Peru now, tomorrow got a job interview so I need to stop playing and go to sleep.

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(d) Must use fire.
Old Feb 16, 2019, 09:24 AM   #7013
KAC
KAC

Finished BFV SP campaign.
Old Feb 18, 2019, 09:28 PM   #7014
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Completed the Leviathan raid for the first time in Destiny 2, (my first ever raid in a Destiny game), pretty cool experience. The production quality was top notch, you can tell the raid designers poured a lot of effort and care into designing it (and the additional areas around it).

I read somewhere only about 15% of the playerbase has done it, which sounds about right as it requires a coordinated team of 6 players executing strategies without much room for mistakes.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 19, 2019, 08:27 AM   #7015
twonha
Yods be silent!

Finished Prey! It took longer than I thought it would, and in its final hours it really ramps up the pace story-wise. Definitely a slow burning game that changes drastically over time, something I find very impressive in what was already a surprisingly awesome game.

Personal issue: I ran into the game's final stages right around bedtime. Didn't want to stop and only play the final 30 minutes later, so I sat through the final bits and went way past my bedtime. Saw it through, but now at work I'm sleepy. *shakes fist*
Old Feb 19, 2019, 09:02 AM   #7016
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Mostly played MP-games for a while now (BFV) but I try to get some Mass Effect Andromeda in too. I'm on my third planet exploring and I mean I dont hate the game but the "open world exploration" is really bad. Mostly fetch quests and "scan this". I was however thrown into a linear mission on one of the planets and that was much better! Played like a ME2/3 mission.

I felt the same while playing Dragon Age Inquisition. I hope they abandon this "formula" - it aint doing it for me.

iPhone 8 Plus
Old Feb 19, 2019, 06:18 PM   #7017
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
Mostly played MP-games for a while now (BFV) but I try to get some Mass Effect Andromeda in too. I'm on my third planet exploring and I mean I dont hate the game but the "open world exploration" is really bad. Mostly fetch quests and "scan this". I was however thrown into a linear mission on one of the planets and that was much better! Played like a ME2/3 mission.

I felt the same while playing Dragon Age Inquisition. I hope they abandon this "formula" - it aint doing it for me.
Probably a goode chance that if anthem fails, the final bioware sturio will be closed too
Old Feb 24, 2019, 10:48 AM   #7018
twonha
Yods be silent!

Started Battlefield 1's single player campaign. It's pretentiously loud, but bland and somewhat unclear in terms of direction. I wasn't having a lot of fun babysitting a lone tank, so I traded the wrench for the uninstall button.
Old Mar 3, 2019, 09:53 AM   #7019
twonha
Yods be silent!

Just played the first four chapters of Uncharted 2.

Gameplay pretty much the same as the first, graphically more detailed and much better lighting. I just got to Nepal and it's really a step up from the relatively bland environments of UC1.
Old Mar 5, 2019, 06:45 AM   #7020
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

A friend somehow managed to drag me back to WoW.....holy shyt...there have been "some" changes in the last what...10? years...for sure Kinda surprised or even a bit impressed that this "thing" survived that long with that kind of ancient graphic (yeah, i know, graphic isn't everything, but c'mon....).

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote