Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jan 9, 2019, 12:29 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
No. I suspect you haven't actually played the game.

The play style is similar, just like every FPS is Doom/Quake/Wolf3D, but the aliens, ship designs, and mechanics are unique.
Stardocks game may be unique but if they were trying to trademark alien races from SC1 and SC2 then what is their excuse? We don't even have to debate what is in the new game as this action doesn't have anything to do with it. To me it shows Stardock was/is preparing to vacuum up the IP from SC1 and SC2 which is something they are not entitled to.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 9, 2019, 05:57 PM   #32
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
...they were trying to trademark alien races from SC1 and SC2 ....
Source?
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 10, 2019, 09:44 PM   #33
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bires View Post
Source?
See post #20

Quote:
Also, Stardock has subsequently applied for tons of trademarks on names of aliens we invented in SC1 and SC2, but so far, they do not own any of those additional trademarks.
Maybe they made that up but I doubt it. If I had not read this I would agree with you but it's there and in my opinion it is a bad move by Stardock if true.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 11, 2019, 10:47 PM   #34
Bires
50 lb lap dog ;)

Bires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird singsBires knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
See post #20

Maybe they made that up but I doubt it. If I had not read this I would agree with you but it's there and in my opinion it is a bad move by Stardock if true.
In one of Brad's blogs to founders he made it clear that the game was in the spirit of Star Control but would not use the same universe, aliens, ships, etc. This has always been the paradigm.
My computer? I've put its specs in the box to the left.
There are many people on the Rage3D forums.
They're very proud of their computers.
Bires is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2019, 11:33 AM   #35
ASCI Blue
Grammar NAZI

ASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird singsASCI Blue knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Stardock is trying to trademark the names of alien races that were used in SC1 and SC2. That's not a derivative. That is theft.

So far the only reference to any previous game aside the title Star Control is the Zot, Foq, Pik, and Zebranky which are no longer hyphenated and are on 3 different worlds. Precursor is a general term which likely can't be copywritten to trade marked, and no description of them are given beyond 'huge.'

The Zot Foq Pik is about the only thing that can be argued as theft, but it's still different, although maybe not different enough. Beyond that if you count red, top down view, and space then you might be on to something. But you can't copyright a color, camera angle, or location unless it's unique to something. Plus several other pieces of media have done something similar.

Proud Creator of The Cock Crew (Sportbike Network) Preventing "gay friends." ...one pecker at a time.

bounty hunter
Quote:
kids are pretty much invincible, man I doubt even explosions can phase the little womb demons
battlenet: voxmortis, origin: asci_blue, steam: death_incarnate352
ASCI Blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2019, 01:12 AM   #36
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

Finished the main storyline to this game recently. Enjoyed playing it. I loved SC2 though, so this was going to be an easy like for me. Will probably play a little bit more and tie up some loose ends but otherwise will most likely not replay it. Wish I had got it on sale but oh well.
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 2, 2019, 03:26 PM   #37
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

BTW, this popped back up on my Steam Wishlist so it looks like it's back available via Steam again (sometime recently).
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Feb 4, 2019, 08:21 AM   #38
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

Those that have won this game.

Does Scryveno Seat actually exist? If so where?
Sapphire Radeon VII
Samsung 960 EVO 1TB
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote