Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jan 21, 2019, 06:20 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Nioh for me. It has balance issues I think that I hope will be addressed in Nioh 2. It hits all the right buttons otherwise.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 09:03 AM   #32
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Nioh for me. It has balance issues I think that I hope will be addressed in Nioh 2. It hits all the right buttons otherwise.
What buttons does Nioh hit with you that the Souls games don't?
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2019, 09:13 AM   #33
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

The Witcher 3 came pretty close to it. As for older games, the original Dragon Age was also a very close call for various reasons.

Other than that there were obviously some games i really enjoyed a lot, but i wouldn't call them perfect

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:05 AM   #34
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmLazy8s achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
What buttons does Nioh hit with you that the Souls games don't?
I'll just list what I like so far, no particular order:

-A story taken from actual history using names of real people - artistic license not withstanding.
-An "upgradeable" blacksmith. You can earn perks that can be applied to every blacksmith function available.
-A separate challenge/rewards system that operates independently of level that lets you earn points towards various facets of your build.
-The guardian spirits and armors each have functionality that add to certain specific builds, i.e. a full Iga ninja set will give you certain bonus damages, and there are accessories that also add to certain builds/weapons/combat styles.
-Living weapon - it isn't quite god mode for the majority of the game, unless you build out that way, but it can really save your ass in a pinch, and is just a lot of fun when doing crowd control against OP enemies.
-Blacksmith difficulty. I'm probably odd man out here, but I enjoyed that aspect of Demon's Souls. It's not nearly as easy to really build an OP weapon right off the bat in this game. You can, sure, but it takes a bit more than a speedrun for an ember.

You can also reforge certain bonuses on weapons and armors, as well as soul matching (raising your weapon to a higher level) and rolling new characteristics onto a weapon like extra attack bonuses etc.
-Stance based combat - it just adds a nice layer, along with much smaller invincibility windows. Timing on dodges/parries needs to be tight.
-A livelier world. Even though most missions are solo, many are loaded with both friendly and enemy NPCs, some necessary, some not, but the overall feel is being a part of something much larger than yourself.
-The NPCs that you occasionally co-op with are pretty tough in their own right, and rarely hold you back, and often save your tail when up against a mob. Depending on playstyle of course.
-co-op is a lot of fun, as is bailing someone out who's tackling a boss way above their level, very easy to do in this game.
-Tutorial based "missions" that must be beat in order to learn/progress to certain skills.
-Being able to choose and assign movesets of choice to various weapons/stances. For example, you can "learn" 4-8 (I think) different movesets and finishers for your high stance sword attack, and choose which combination of them you want to use with which button combos. That can also be done for mid and low stances for a huge variety of attacks and defenses.

That's all off the top of my head, without mentioning that TN added every enemy strength and weakness available. Some enemies are pathetically underskilled and under armored while some will gut you if you make a single mistake - all can be mixed in most areas, keeps you on your toes.

That's it for starters though...
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:12 AM   #35
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
I'll just list what I like so far, no particular order:

-A story taken from actual history using names of real people - artistic license not withstanding.
-An "upgradeable" blacksmith. You can earn perks that can be applied to every blacksmith function available.
-A separate challenge/rewards system that operates independently of level that lets you earn points towards various facets of your build.
-The guardian spirits and armors each have functionality that add to certain specific builds, i.e. a full Iga ninja set will give you certain bonus damages, and there are accessories that also add to certain builds/weapons/combat styles.
-Living weapon - it isn't quite god mode for the majority of the game, unless you build out that way, but it can really save your ass in a pinch, and is just a lot of fun when doing crowd control against OP enemies.
-Blacksmith difficulty. I'm probably odd man out here, but I enjoyed that aspect of Demon's Souls. It's not nearly as easy to really build an OP weapon right off the bat in this game. You can, sure, but it takes a bit more than a speedrun for an ember.

You can also reforge certain bonuses on weapons and armors, as well as soul matching (raising your weapon to a higher level) and rolling new characteristics onto a weapon like extra attack bonuses etc.
-Stance based combat - it just adds a nice layer, along with much smaller invincibility windows. Timing on dodges/parries needs to be tight.
-A livelier world. Even though most missions are solo, many are loaded with both friendly and enemy NPCs, some necessary, some not, but the overall feel is being a part of something much larger than yourself.
-The NPCs that you occasionally co-op with are pretty tough in their own right, and rarely hold you back, and often save your tail when up against a mob. Depending on playstyle of course.
-co-op is a lot of fun, as is bailing someone out who's tackling a boss way above their level, very easy to do in this game.
-Tutorial based "missions" that must be beat in order to learn/progress to certain skills.
-Being able to choose and assign movesets of choice to various weapons/stances. For example, you can "learn" 4-8 (I think) different movesets and finishers for your high stance sword attack, and choose which combination of them you want to use with which button combos. That can also be done for mid and low stances for a huge variety of attacks and defenses.

That's all off the top of my head, without mentioning that TN added every enemy strength and weakness available. Some enemies are pathetically underskilled and under armored while some will gut you if you make a single mistake - all can be mixed in most areas, keeps you on your toes.

That's it for starters though...
That's a lot for starters, lol.

I really need to get to this game, its sounding better and better the more I hear about it. Just been busy with other stuff for a long time, but I know when I finally get playing it I'm going to have that "why did I wait so long to play this" type feeling.

Maybe after RE2.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:15 AM   #36
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
That's a lot for starters, lol.

I really need to get to this game, its sounding better and better the more I hear about it. Just been busy with other stuff for a long time, but I know when I finally get playing it I'm going to have that "why did I wait so long to play this" type feeling.

Maybe after RE2.
I did that

The learning curve is HUGE, maybe because it starts off feeling and playing very similar to Soulsborne, more Bloodborne though, so the tendency is to just ram ahead and roll with it.

TN added an awful lot of complexity to the formula to the point where calling it "Souls like" is just miles off base.

Wonderful game for we who enjoy this type of thing.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:30 AM   #37
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Tetris is the ideal game, you fools claiming otherwise are just OBJECTIVELY wrong!
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:32 AM   #38
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Tetris is the ideal game, you fools claiming otherwise are just OBJECTIVELY wrong!
Does Tetris have hot Ninja and Samarai women? Hmmm?

I rest my case.
Old Jan 22, 2019, 10:54 AM   #39
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

More I think about this topic, I think an "ideal game" needs to be genre specific.

For example, the ideal action game, the ideal RPG game, the ideal fps game, the ideal puzzle game, etc. Unless you only like one genre, or if there's a game that successful melds all game mechanics from all game genres.

Realistically, I'd have to look at every genre and see if there's an ideal game in each one that already exists.
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:06 AM   #40
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

All I want is a modern remake of Autoduel but with turn-based combat like Battletech. Shouldn't be impossible. Cars would all have momentum every turn and you could adjust speed and heading, etc... would be more fun than first person or realtime I think (even though the original was top-down). Car Wars was built on turn-based combat so it should translate well.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2019, 11:45 AM   #41
Cream
Radeon R600

Cream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCream can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by sMashPiranha View Post
How did you even find that!
16GB Corsair DDR4 , SSD 850 evo /480gb SSD Vertex 2/ 2TB hybrid drive for games, 1TB storage drive
Zowie FK1, Oculus CV1, Logitech G920, black widow Ultimate, Xbox one pad. Saitec X-55 H.O.T.A.S.
Cream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 24, 2019, 01:01 PM   #42
methimpikehoses
transmigrator

methimpikehoses is still being judged by the masses

Twisted Metal 2
Old Jan 24, 2019, 04:48 PM   #43
wabbitslayer
Elmer J. Fudd, Esq.

wabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmwabbitslayer achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I want a HD open world remake/reinterpretation of Betrayal at Krondor.

Also want some updated Infocom type text games that have 10x bigger worlds and 1000x bigger command vocabularies.

And a Kingdom of Kroz game that will run natively in Windows 10.

/oldfart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Does it really matter that much to you? Holy ****. It's almost like some of you want to argue about the most mundane, irrelevant, insensible **** just to argue about something.
wabbitslayer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2019, 12:56 AM   #44
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

For me it's a hard question to answer. I've played some games that I felt were really amazing (Deus Ex, Tron 2.0, Vampire: Bloodlines, KOTOR, Gothic 1/2, Mass Effect, System Shock 2, Doom (2016), to name just a few), but were they perfect? I'd say no.

I'm not sure that I look at games in this way though, with some concept of what would be ideal. I feel more like I take a game and try to enjoy it for what it is. I'm sure you can see some similarities among most of the games I mentioned, but they all had pluses and minuses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
The Witcher 3 came pretty close to it. As for older games, the original Dragon Age was also a very close call for various reasons.

Other than that there were obviously some games i really enjoyed a lot, but i wouldn't call them perfect
Interesting how tastes are different. Personally I wasn't that impressed with Dragon Age.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 25, 2019, 03:25 AM   #45
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Interesting how tastes are different. Personally I wasn't that impressed with Dragon Age.
It had its flaws, of course, but we had a blast with it, something i can't say about 99,9% of the games that were released in the last years. Also it's one of the very few games we played through numerous times to get to see every bit of the different stories. But it's always personal taste, granted. As you've mentioned it, Vampire: Bloodlines was also awesome, not perfect, sure, but really really awesome.

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Old Jan 30, 2019, 04:44 AM   #46
delirium121
Radeon Northern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nope,

I'm still waiting a 'Terminator' (1984 version) game, played FPS, each play through from the perspective of each of the 3 main characters
Main focus playthrough from the perspective of the Terminator, investigate, kill each Sarah Conner.
Played in an actual fully open world section of densely populated city, time period correctly portrayed (the sort where all the houses/apartments/stores/factories, etc. actually have fully populated interiors and contents).

I always figured this would make for a great game.
(I actually sat down in 1999 when Messiah (Shiny) was being hyped and planned this all out, event algorithms,etc. and all, then figured the hardware and software just wasn't anywhere close to what i would need it to be any time in near future, I suspect it still not there, possibly with next gen of consoles finally adopting high CPU counts, etc).
BEWARE!.. the lemon wheels

Last edited by delirium121 : Jan 30, 2019 at 04:53 AM.
delirium121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 30, 2019, 05:11 AM   #47
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

That's a tough question, if I have to chose one it will be GTA San Andreas. The Witcher 3 came a close second. Ideal game for me is an open sandbox games like these two, I would like customization, settings and story of GTA SA using Witcher 3 graphics engine. Would love to play Star Wars themed sandbox games, something like KoTOR but bigger.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2019, 01:42 AM   #48
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
It had its flaws, of course, but we had a blast with it, something i can't say about 99,9% of the games that were released in the last years. Also it's one of the very few games we played through numerous times to get to see every bit of the different stories. But it's always personal taste, granted. As you've mentioned it, Vampire: Bloodlines was also awesome, not perfect, sure, but really really awesome.
My biggest issue with Dragon Age was the world felt very Generic Fantasy to me. I felt like they took basically every standard fantasy element and just tossed it into one world. I suppose that can be seen as a plus or a minus depending on your viewpoint.

All the other elements--ie: getting to know your allies and their backstory--was a standard Bioware RPG, so that was great, but I thought the setting could have used a bit more character. As a comparison, I think they did a better job with Mass Effect: it felt like more of a new and interesting setting to me, not just a copy of Star Trek/Star Wars.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail the thread. DA was still a decent game, just not enough to make the top of my list. And of course it is all just personal preference.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 31, 2019, 02:22 AM   #49
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
My biggest issue with Dragon Age was the world felt very Generic Fantasy to me. I felt like they took basically every standard fantasy element and just tossed it into one world. I suppose that can be seen as a plus or a minus depending on your viewpoint.

All the other elements--ie: getting to know your allies and their backstory--was a standard Bioware RPG, so that was great, but I thought the setting could have used a bit more character. As a comparison, I think they did a better job with Mass Effect: it felt like more of a new and interesting setting to me, not just a copy of Star Trek/Star Wars.

Anyway, I don't mean to derail the thread. DA was still a decent game, just not enough to make the top of my list. And of course it is all just personal preference.
I've heard many people say the whole generic fantasy spiel about dragon age, and i honestly don't get it. An Elven Slave race, and Dwarves fighting mythical shadow monsters under their homelands while sewing game of thrones political espionage doesnt scream generic fantasy to me. There was so much under dragon age that was new or under used. It just looks generic from an outside perspective.
Old Jan 31, 2019, 05:08 PM   #50
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Hard to say,

Back in the day it may have been Asteroids. One quarter would last until my parents would drag me away from the controls not when I died. I would often play for 45 min then hand it off to a wide eyed onlooker just to watch him or her get all my saved up ships deresed in seconds. Wizardy on the Apple][ then came the Amiga and Dune2.

But Kortor and Mass Effect along with Dues Ex are still in my head. There was a amazing cyber punk RPG on the Amiga I can;t remember the name of and BladeRunner on PC was better than it should have been, like being in a movie.

But yes like antoher has said I need a full body Haptec suit and VR version of James Bong Night Fire. First Time I felt like I was Bond. Oh and build a real life version of VR Kanojo ^_-
Old Feb 1, 2019, 04:08 AM   #51
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Athena View Post
Hard to say,

. There was a amazing cyber punk RPG on the Amiga I can;t remember the name of and BladeRunner on PC was better than it should have been, like being in a movie.
beneath a steel sky maybe or neuromancer?

Old Feb 1, 2019, 03:19 PM   #52
Athena
Radeon Sea Islands

Athena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyAthena can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
beneath a steel sky maybe or neuromancer?
You are then man!!!

Both of those my wife and I would play together for hours writing ever clue in our notebook and never get tired of them. But it was Beneath a Steel Sky that we both loved so much.

(Wow I am findings it very had to type after the eye damage from the extreme cold yesterday)
Old Feb 3, 2019, 04:36 AM   #53
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

saumilsingh can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysaumilsingh can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysaumilsingh can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Only the invention of the Holo Deck could truly be considered ideal.
But there are some games I'd like to see made.

A third person Diablo style arpg with random levels, loot, deep skill tree and a fleshed out twitch based combat system where player skill matters.
If the leaks are to be believed, Blizzard was making D4 exactly like that before giving up on the idea .

Also wish to see Doom 2016 being morphed into a sort of first person Diablo.
Retain the visceral combat and add completely randomized maps that throw shitloads of demons at you.
All this topped off with a randomized loot system.

Yeah, I have a type .
saumilsingh is offline   Reply With Quote