Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Discussion and Support General discussion, tweaking, overclocking and technical support questions about discrete Radeon graphics products.

Old Aug 2, 2012, 05:20 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

Default Sapphire 7970 1Ghz Toxic (6GB)

just got home from work.. heres a few teaser pics

was worried about the size but amazingly its actually shorter then the 6950 Reference by about 1/8 inch
Old Aug 2, 2012, 05:29 PM   #2
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 05:29 PM   #3
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by caveman-jim View Post
Totally! Enjoy.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Aug 2, 2012, 05:54 PM   #4
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

nice

now stop sleeping with it and put it in your pc and get us some benches

bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 2, 2012, 09:54 PM   #5
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings@md_Guy knows why the caged bird sings

spent last couple hours playing Rift.. (5760x1080) the biggest difference is being able to play with SSAA on with lots of eye candy where as the 6970 I have to go w/o AA and reduce some effect. I'd say FPS increased about 80-85% in direct comparison. Also much cooler running while quieter.. never ever got above 58C.. back to conquest.
Old Aug 3, 2012, 09:59 AM   #6
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Good to know you'll be hitting your vram limit when the PS5 and xBox 1080 come out
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 10:23 AM   #7
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
Good to know you'll be hitting your vram limit when the PS5 and xBox 1080 come out
so far max Ive seen using MSI Afterburner OSD is 1.9GB.. might pickup a new SSD and give Win8 an install and run some benchies this weekend and compare to Win7..
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:33 PM   #8
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Very nice card amd_guy! Congrats and enjoy!
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 12:53 PM   #9
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
Very nice card amd_guy! Congrats and enjoy!
+1.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 01:14 PM   #10
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

This card is made for Eyefinity. And now get a second one, to crossfire!

EDIT: $699.99 GLLP. /Edit]
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |

Last edited by Blín D'ñero : Aug 3, 2012 at 06:57 PM.
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2012, 05:22 PM   #11
Kesker
Radeon R100

Kesker is still being judged by the masses

Can you please measure height and width of the card?
Kesker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 02:35 AM   #12
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kesker View Post
Can you please measure height and width of the card?
about 1/8" taller than 6900 reference, and 1/8" shorter..
Old Aug 4, 2012, 08:51 AM   #13
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nice product sku -- especially for a nice 5X1 multi-monitor platform.
Old Aug 4, 2012, 10:49 AM   #14
Trivium Nate
Radeon R200

Trivium Nate is still being judged by the masses

sweet!
Trivium Nate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2012, 12:03 PM   #15
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
so far max Ive seen using MSI Afterburner OSD is 1.9GB.. might pickup a new SSD and give Win8 an install and run some benchies this weekend and compare to Win7..
Give Win 8 a couple of weeks, the final release should be up on Technet then. Unless you absolutely want to run the current preview.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 5, 2012, 08:12 PM   #16
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

currently running 1200 core 1600 mem @ 58C, fan never goes over maybe 55%
Old Aug 5, 2012, 08:34 PM   #17
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by @md_Guy View Post
currently running 1200 core 1600 mem @ 58C, fan never goes over maybe 55%
My 670 does 1250 1700
Old Aug 5, 2012, 10:34 PM   #18
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
My 670 does 1250 1700
give me time, Im sure 1400/1800 isnt too far off, seems like the mem likes to OC well.. seen some reports of 1900+ (nearing 2Ghz) floating around.

might have to join THIS forums to join in the E-Peen race

Last edited by @md_Guy : Aug 5, 2012 at 10:40 PM.
@md_Guy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 06:39 AM   #19
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Could've done better with a 7970 CFX gig...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 08:16 AM   #20
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Could've done better with a 7970 CFX gig...
trust me I know.. this card is prob least bang for the buck some time.. heck best Bang Per $$ prob goes to the 7800 crossfired however I wanted a single card solution specifically aimed towards eyefinity and future longevity,.. maybe a year or so down the road when the HD8000 launches I'll be able to pick up a matching 6GB Toxic on the cheap.

Performance wise I couldn't be much happier, sure I overpaid (about $100 imho) for having a card with such a huge frame buffer butalas, those on the bleeding edge should be used to paying top $$.. then again when subtracting the $200 made for my 6950 (flashed) it still comes out reasonably well priced. Yeah I could have picked up a sub $400 7970 recently but I wanted a 6GB version.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:37 AM   #21
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Ok enjoy and do let us know how much vram is used with BF3 (quite possibly the only game that ever came close to using 3 gig on my 7970 - ~2.3 gig to be exact). Maybe at higher resolution you see the benefits. Let me know if you ever hit more than 3 gig.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 10:57 AM   #22
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Quote:
Originally Posted by KickAssCop View Post
Ok enjoy and do let us know how much vram is used with BF3 (quite possibly the only game that ever came close to using 3 gig on my 7970 - ~2.3 gig to be exact). Maybe at higher resolution you see the benefits. Let me know if you ever hit more than 3 gig.

Is there a trial? Demo ? Don't have the full game.. last time I tried anything related was BF2 beta iirc.. any other memory intensive titles I should look for ?
Old Aug 6, 2012, 11:05 AM   #23
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

BF3 uses as much as it can. It just caches in advance.. It looks exactly the same on my GTX680s as it did on my GTX480s (1.5gb to 2GB)
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:19 PM   #24
Omega53
Rage veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
BF3 uses as much as it can. It just caches in advance.. It looks exactly the same on my GTX680s as it did on my GTX480s (1.5gb to 2GB)
on my 2gb 670, I have yet to see it go over 1400MB @ 1080p with Ultra settings (4xfsaa)
Old Aug 6, 2012, 12:44 PM   #25
the_gas
Radeon R700

the_gas is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
on my 2gb 670, I have yet to see it go over 1400MB @ 1080p with Ultra settings (4xfsaa)
I've seen it go as high as 1900mb+ on my 7970.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 01:32 PM   #26
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I've seen tops of 1.7gb on my 680s.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 01:40 PM   #27
@md_Guy
<strike>out</strike>

Unable to Try/DL BF3 using EA's stupid Origin service.. ("48 Hour" trial experience).. and companies wonder why ppl pirate when they make it soo damn difficult to just try a game/demo.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 02:44 PM   #28
Blín D'ñero
HD7970 crossfire

Blín D'ñero is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by the_gas View Post
I've seen it go as high as 1900mb+ on my 7970.
Time to update your Specs button list: according to that you use for graphics "MSI Twin Frozr ii 6950 Crossfire Unlocked"...
Intel i7 2700K @ 4.8 Ghz | Zalman CPNS9900LED | Asus Maximus IV Extreme-Z | 16 GB Corsair Dominator GT CMT16GX3M4X2133C9 DDR3 | 2 x (Sapphire) AMD Radeon HD7970 (crossfire) | Creative X-Fi Titanium Fatality Pro | Corsair AX 1200W | 4 x WDC WD1002FAEX | Optiarc AD 5240S | Dell U3011 @ 2560x1600 | Steelseries 7G | Razer Imperator 2012 | Coolermaster Stacker STC T01 | Logitech Z-5500 | Sennheiser HD598 | Windows 7 Ultimate x64 SP1 |
Blín D'ñero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 6, 2012, 02:52 PM   #29
the_gas
Radeon R700

the_gas is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blín D'ñero View Post
Time to update your Specs button list: according to that you use for graphics "MSI Twin Frozr ii 6950 Crossfire Unlocked"...
Updated.
Old Aug 6, 2012, 03:02 PM   #30
KAC
That postcount though...

You missed a 0.