Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:37 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

I'd be more worried about state and federal taxes eating away at your salary rather than if you can afford a maid. If you make 150k+ you might be owing quite a bit at the of the year when you do your taxes if you don't own some property or have some way to offset taxes.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:45 AM   #62
KAC
:rolleyes:

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
I'd be more worried about state and federal taxes eating away at your salary rather than if you can afford a maid. If you make 150k+ you might be owing quite a bit at the of the year when you do your taxes if you don't own some property or have some way to offset taxes.
Won't the employer already deduct taxes at source before payment?
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:54 AM   #63
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Won't the employer already deduct taxes at source before payment?

They will but that doesnt mean you wont owe. The more pay you get the higher tax bracket youre in and it only deducts so much.

Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 3, 2021, 01:26 AM   #64
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Damn. That sucks ass.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 01:40 AM   #65
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Damn. That sucks ass.
That's like our unofficial motto.

Welcome to America.

andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 06:00 AM   #66
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

might be better off with Amsterdam, as i've said numerous times......

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 06:45 AM   #67
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
They will but that doesnt mean you wont owe. The more pay you get the higher tax bracket youre in and it only deducts so much.
Well you can always tell them to deduct more if they are usually coming up short. This usually happens when you have other income the employer don't know about (like investment income). Usually this is done on your W-4
dodger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 06:55 AM   #68
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

KAC If you haven't learned yet, the worst thing about US taxes is actually doing them. If I get to the point where I'm getting less than $1000 back I don't think I'll even bother (assuming income doesn't dramatically decrease). "Helping people do their taxes" is a billion dollar industry... Turbo Tax is the easiest but I still procrastinate on it.

Also if you're renting and have no dependants you'll pay through the nose.

Also SF is overflowing with professional pan handlers.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 07:09 AM   #69
dodger
Doggy

dodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydodger can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
KAC If you haven't learned yet, the worst thing about US taxes is actually doing them. If I get to the point where I'm getting less than $1000 back I don't think I'll even bother (assuming income doesn't dramatically decrease). "Helping people do their taxes" is a billion dollar industry... Turbo Tax is the easiest but I still procrastinate on it.
It gets 4 times worse if KAC gets hired as a contractor and has to pay estimated taxes 4 times a year plus the usual time everyone else does their taxes if his estimates are short. Yeah our taxes are a PITA.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 07:50 AM   #70
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
This is the only type of maids I hire these days

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 09:32 AM   #71
KAC

**** taxes with a pitchfork. Damn.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 09:34 AM   #72
acroig
Troll Mod

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
**** taxes with a pitchfork. Damn.
Then you'll hate Canada even more and the EU as well....

yoz
Old Mar 3, 2021, 09:36 AM   #73
KAC

Man you guys just want to destroy my happiness. You evil Americans.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:02 AM   #74
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestSilent-Runner considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
it's not THAT bad over here. But i have to admit i have a hard time trying to imagine KAC as an american, but that might be just me, as usual

"Humans need fantasy to be human. To be the place where the falling angel meets the rising ape" *Sir Terry Pratchett*

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:01 AM   #75
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
Well you can always tell them to deduct more if they are usually coming up short. This usually happens when you have other income the employer don't know about (like investment income). Usually this is done on your W-4

True indeed, but most people dont do it the first year they file taxes cause they dont know to do that. This would be his first year in the US so Im assuming he wouldnt(also he would have no reference as too how much extra he would put in)

Quote:
Originally Posted by dodger View Post
It gets 4 times worse if KAC gets hired as a contractor and has to pay estimated taxes 4 times a year plus the usual time everyone else does their taxes if his estimates are short. Yeah our taxes are a PITA.

This too oof

Quote:

Not ruining dreams just trying to temper your expectations about pay and cost of living. You might be better off staying where you are now TBH. Living in the US aint all its made out to be especially not in the suburbs or SF. Suburbs of SF are gentrifying at a nice clip but you will deal with some hooligans out there and it if your used to Dubai you are not going to be happy at all.

Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:40 AM   #76
KAC

Well thanks for the info either way. The reason to move to the west is always for more opportunities as I grow older. Having a job in Dubai after 50 years of age is quite an ordeal in itself. So I need to plan now where I want to end up.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 12:06 PM   #77
andino
Radeon Arctic Islands

andino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwardsandino can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Hey, we are Americans. We are the ones that get to blame everyone else for ruining our happiness.
andino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 03:35 PM   #78
dodger
Doggy

Quote:
Well thanks for the info either way. The reason to move to the west is always for more opportunities as I grow older. Having a job in Dubai after 50 years of age is quite an ordeal in itself. So I need to plan now where I want to end up.
Ageism is a thing over here as well. Some industries are worse than others. I've been told in tech you need to already be on the management track when you hit 40 or otherwise be an uber subject matter expert that you know you can easily find another job anywhere or be an independent consultant (DBA's immediately come to mind but I could be outdated). They won't force older folk out over here (unless maybe you're an airline pilot) but if you get laid off in the 50's it very hard to get rehired.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 03:39 PM   #79
Higgy10
Radeon Arctic Islands

Higgy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundHiggy10 can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
the cost of living comparing toronto vs san fran is about 30% more in san fran. Combined tax rate isnt much different either. Would take kac decades to make up the housing cost difference. If kac was moving to a state with no income tax it would be different
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:06 PM   #80
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

Come to illinois so we can hang out
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:23 PM   #81
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Crawdaddy79 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileh View Post
Come to illinois so we can hang out
+1 on KAC and Evileh shooting the **** together.
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:31 PM   #82
Evileh

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

I could see him coming to pick us up and be like "wassup mi bitches!!!!!!!!"
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:35 PM   #83
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

"us"? WTF do you have a mouse in your pocket or multiple personalities?
Old Mar 3, 2021, 10:50 PM   #84
Evileh

"us" as in whatever ragers would be living by him
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84

Sittal on BF2142 "
Old Mar 3, 2021, 11:30 PM   #85
KAC

Yes happy to party with you guys. However, seems like a far away dream right now.
Old Mar 4, 2021, 03:57 AM   #86
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Trunks0 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
the cost of living comparing toronto vs san fran is about 30% more in san fran. Combined tax rate isnt much different either. Would take kac decades to make up the housing cost difference. If kac was moving to a state with no income tax it would be different
Hey at least in Canada he would have healthcare. Big thing to consider when looking at the long term.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - Creative AE-5 Plus - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2021, 11:44 AM   #87
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Hey at least in Canada he would have healthcare. Big thing to consider when looking at the long term.
Very much so, especially considering some of the outrageous costs we have to deal with in the US. I can't see anyone going longterm without it, so that's a huge factor to consider.
Lazy8s is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 4, 2021, 01:32 PM   #88
curio
𐐒ananaD

curio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished roadcurio nears the end of the distinguished road

Whatever maid service you decide to go with, remember to take her passport
Old Mar 4, 2021, 01:33 PM   #89
acroig
Troll Mod

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
Was comparing taxation more than housing. Toronto and Vancouver not cheap at all.

yoz
Old Mar 5, 2021, 12:47 AM   #90
KAC

So you gays think I will be worse off in the US as I grow older than say Europe or Canada?
It has to be better than Dubai where you can be kicked out at 30 days notice if you don’t have a job.