Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Dec 8, 2016, 08:55 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Default Full Windows on ARM is coming.

http://www.theverge.com/2016/12/8/13...p-on-arm-chips

Using an emulation layer, apparently MS will support ARM based laptops next year. Looks pretty promising, performance is decent. I think the future might be ARM based.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 09:31 AM   #2
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundbittermann can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

That is cool. Million dollar question as usual is will OEM's build it with decent enough specs and will consumers want it. We see what they think of AMD on laptops.
Old Dec 8, 2016, 12:41 PM   #3
noko
Radeon Arctic Islands

noko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete strangernoko once held a door open for a complete stranger

Wow! I want one or two. Definitely tablet form preferred.
Ryzen 1700x 3.9ghz, Thermaltake Water 2.0 Pro, Asus CrossHair 6 Hero 9, 16gb DDR4 3200 @ 3466, EVGA 1080 Ti, 950w PC pwr & cooling PS, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive + 256mb Mushkin SSD + 512gb Samsung 850evo M.2 in enclosure for Sata III and 2x 1tb WD SATA III, 34" Dell " U3415W IPS + 27" IPS YHAMAKASI Catleap. Win10 Pro

Custom SFF built case, I7 6700k OC 4.4ghz, PowerColor R9 Nano,, 1TB NVMe Intel SSD M2 Drive, 16gb DDR 4 3000 Corsair LPX, LG 27" 4K IPS FreeSync 10bit monitor, Win 10
noko is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Dec 8, 2016, 03:01 PM   #4
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Seriously impressive technology, and this can potentially really shake up the PC industry.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 03:01 PM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Seriously impressive technology, and this can potentially really shake up the PC industry.
I'm thinking the Chromebook is going to become even less relevant, unless they want too much for Windows 10 licenses for these kind of machines.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 03:52 PM   #6
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Ok, that's some seriously impressive software.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 04:03 PM   #7
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

How the heck did they pull that off.
Impressive.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 10:38 PM   #8
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Supports Enterprise Edition but doesn't support Hyper-V. Pass.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 8, 2016, 11:42 PM   #9
metroidfox
dAMD fanATical nVidiot

metroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymetroidfox can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I guess they don't have to emulate any specific hardware. They simply need to make the processor look like an x86 one. That's probably a lot easier than hardware emulation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pr()ZaC
Spyre, I told you before! I won't let you have mensechs with metroidfox nor give you the secret address to the admins p0rn server! :drool:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Villainess
:lol: @ sig ............ now get me OUTTA THERE!! :mad:
metroidfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2016, 12:59 AM   #10
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Well they can finally now get back into the low cost/ low power notebook/tablet/phone game.

I suppose this means they will finally give their mobile efforts a second look.

This is just what they needed. WinRT was the idea (I guess they tried making win8 work natively with ARM this way) and Win10mobile is the bridge (since its always worked on ARM but was not anywhere close to a full win10)
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense

Last edited by Sasquach : Dec 9, 2016 at 01:05 AM.
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 9, 2016, 11:05 AM   #11
Apocalypsee
Radeon Sea Islands

Apocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppersApocalypsee has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
Supports Enterprise Edition but doesn't support Hyper-V. Pass.
Hyper-V on ARM?

It should come earlier, I wonder whether this could bring life back to Surface RT.
If 3 fans left the station at 10:30am cooling at a temp of 63c and one fan was derailed by a stray sata cable on the track, how long would it take all 3 fans to get on Seyiji's last nerve?

(a) Mmmm donuts
(b) 70c
(c) Hey there muscly arms, why the long face?
(d) Must use fire.
Apocalypsee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2016, 01:40 PM   #12
GSGRUNT
Radeon Arctic Islands

GSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird singsGSGRUNT knows why the caged bird sings

The word "Qualcomm" was emphasized more than once in that video.

Is this going to be a Qualcomm only version of Windows?

ARM != Qualcomm
GSGRUNT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 10, 2016, 02:27 PM   #13
Talon_262
Lurker Supreme

Talon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete strangerTalon_262 once held a door open for a complete stranger

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by GSGRUNT View Post
The word "Qualcomm" was emphasized more than once in that video.

Is this going to be a Qualcomm only version of Windows?

ARM != Qualcomm
Probably because Qualcomm is the 600-pound gorilla in the ARM space...even non-techy folks have heard of them in relation to their cell phones.
Talon_262 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 11, 2016, 04:14 PM   #14
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apocalypsee View Post
It should come earlier, I wonder whether this could bring life back to Surface RT.
That would be awesome. Not that I haven't found my WinRT tablet useful as is. But this would open up some emulation options, which would be kinda nice

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 06:20 PM   #15
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Windows has been running on ARM for ages. I've got quite a few ARM-powered devices dating back to the early/mid 2000's running various embedded forms of Windows that I support at work. Complete with start menu and all.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 07:14 PM   #16
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Windows has been running on ARM for ages. I've got quite a few ARM-powered devices dating back to the early/mid 2000's running various embedded forms of Windows that I support at work. Complete with start menu and all.
Thats not the big deal. Hell WinRT runs on Arm. The big deal is making full x86 apps run on Arm

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Dec 17, 2016, 07:53 PM   #17
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Thats not the big deal. Hell WinRT runs on Arm. The big deal is making full x86 apps run on Arm
Gotcha. Didn't look closely enough the first time.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote