Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Oct 26, 2016, 01:53 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Default Surface Pro 4

look nice
but price
2699 for i7 16gb with 1tb

https://www.microsoft.com/en-us/surf...is_omc_pma_MSN
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 01:57 PM   #2
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

$2699 doesn't sound that crazy, you're getting a ton of VERY fast storage, a ton of RAM, a great screen w/ Wacom digitizer, and a desktop class processor. Fitting all of that into a tablet will not be cheap either. You can knock $500 off by dropping down to 512gb, or another $400 to go down to 256gb.

Most people won't need an i7, hell an i5 is beefy as hell already. For $1899 you can have a 512gb i5 that will be a great machine.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 02:19 PM   #3
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

well one reason I would have to get the Surface Pro 4 over the ipad pro is games so would want the 1tb
but I have a 12.2 note pro I use for reading on nook and kindle so why buy a ipad pro

but everything but the ssd is fine
but I think they are over charging on the ssd

as you can get a 1tb for 310 and they want 900 to go from 256 to 1tb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147567

two why not make the ssd upgradable just would take a small door in the back
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 26, 2016, 02:27 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
well one reason I would have to get the Surface Pro 4 over the ipad pro is games so would want the 1tb
but I have a 12.2 note pro I use for reading on nook and kindle so why buy a ipad pro

but everything but the ssd is fine
but I think they are over charging on the ssd

as you can get a 1tb for 310 and they want 900 to go from 256 to 1tb
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16820147567

two why not make the ssd upgradable just would take a small door in the back
The SSD is most likely built onto the board, and it's going to be much faster than that 850 EVO 1TB SSD. Here's one that's likely more comparable:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/...b-mz-v6p1t0bw/

Until we know the exact spec of the 1TB going into the Surface Pro 4, it's hard to tell if it's actually overpriced. I would also like to remind you that volume on the 1TB model is going to be very low, so they likely won't get the same bulk rate discounts they would get on the 256 or 512gb models.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 02:43 PM   #5
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Just go with external storage.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2016, 02:45 PM   #6
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
The SSD is most likely built onto the board, and it's going to be much faster than that 850 EVO 1TB SSD. Here's one that's likely more comparable:

http://www.samsung.com/us/computing/...b-mz-v6p1t0bw/

Until we know the exact spec of the 1TB going into the Surface Pro 4, it's hard to tell if it's actually overpriced. I would also like to remind you that volume on the 1TB model is going to be very low, so they likely won't get the same bulk rate discounts they would get on the 256 or 512gb models.
the was surface pro 3 was not

https://www.ifixit.com/Guide/Microso...lacement/51878

Last edited by bill dennison : Oct 26, 2016 at 02:50 PM.
Old Oct 26, 2016, 02:48 PM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
That doesn't mean much for the 4
Old Oct 26, 2016, 02:58 PM   #8
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
That doesn't mean much for the 4
ok

Microsoft Surface Pro 4 Teardown

https://www.ifixit.com/Teardown/Micr...Teardown/51568
Old Oct 26, 2016, 03:03 PM   #9
Elysian
SCAATSJW

So the SSD is on the screen side. Maybe they designed it that way for a reason, since virtually all the hardware seems to be on the screen side?
Old Oct 27, 2016, 12:51 AM   #10
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

just an fyi, surface 3/4 no longer uses wacom digitizer
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:40 AM   #11
Elysian
SCAATSJW

The cost to upgrade from 256gb to 1tb seems downright logical when compared to Apple's upgrade pricing on the new Macbook Pro.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:42 AM   #12
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I'm sorry, I'm confused. What's new about the Surface Pro 4? I thought I already had one.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 28, 2016, 10:59 AM   #13
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I'm sorry, I'm confused. What's new about the Surface Pro 4? I thought I already had one.
Didn't they bump up the specs? If not, I dunno.
Old Oct 28, 2016, 09:04 PM   #14
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

CyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCyanBlues can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Didn't they bump up the specs? If not, I dunno.
they bumped the specs for the docking station in the surface book, it's more powerful, but apparently not sold seperately, which is a shame since supposedly the only change was to the docking station. The screen is still the same one from previous surface book.

Surface pro 4 though is still the same

also there's the Surface studio. Looks to be a creative artist/photography/designer's dream machine

Last edited by CyanBlues : Oct 28, 2016 at 09:31 PM.
CyanBlues is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 2, 2016, 08:57 PM   #15
dmanna
Radeon Northern Islands

dmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydmanna can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I am still using my Surface Pro original.. Battery life is an awesome 2.5 hours. Other than that it works fantastic.

I will probably upgrade to core i5 surface pro 5 when its announced. Hopefully MS sticks with 1 SSD manufacturer this time... apparently the samsung SSDs in the SP4 are terribad, while the Toshiba drives are much faster. The 128 gig SSD from samsung is slower than HDD. I don't know if these problems have been corrected.

Last edited by dmanna : Nov 3, 2016 at 10:20 PM.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2016, 09:09 AM   #16
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

https://slickdeals.net/f/9299247-599...archBarV2Algo1

BUY IT IF YOU CAN.

Great deal, and I'm heading to the MS store later today to see if they'll price match this
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 12, 2016, 05:21 PM   #17
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Just picked it up. Was at my local Best Buy.

Loving it so far. Windows Hello by itself has changed the game for me I reckon.

Getting a more powerful/usable system than an iPad Pro for less money is worth it I reckon.

You don't get the stylus with it but you get $20 off, so that is what I ended up doing. Should be here next week.

The keyboard is brilliant as well.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 07:30 PM   #18
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Just picked it up. Was at my local Best Buy.

Loving it so far. Windows Hello by itself has changed the game for me I reckon.

Getting a more powerful/usable system than an iPad Pro for less money is worth it I reckon.

You don't get the stylus with it but you get $20 off, so that is what I ended up doing. Should be here next week.

The keyboard is brilliant as well.
Nice. I wish we had some extra cash right now, I'd grab that. My wife loves her Surface Pro 2, just wants a bigger screen. The 4 is perfect for her and I could take her 2.
Old Nov 12, 2016, 10:49 PM   #19
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Nice. I wish we had some extra cash right now, I'd grab that. My wife loves her Surface Pro 2, just wants a bigger screen. The 4 is perfect for her and I could take her 2.
The BB @ the Arboretum had a few. Their return policy suggests you can return till Jan 15th, if you want to give it a shot and return later.
Old Nov 13, 2016, 09:13 PM   #20
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Windows Hello is officially the coolest, fastest, and easiest way to log onto a computer.

Old Nov 13, 2016, 09:35 PM   #21
0091/2
We Do It!

0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with0091/2 is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Windows Hello is officially the coolest, fastest, and easiest way to log onto a computer.

Can you have more than one user for hello?

Current Desktop [2016]
Monitor: NEC EA244wmi | CPU: Intel 3570k @4.2ghz | Heatsink: NH-D14 | GPU: Intel HD4000 | Mobo: ASUS P8Z77-v pro | WiFi: Asus PCEAC68 | SSD: Samsung 830pro 128GB | HDD: WD Black 8========D~13TB | PSU: Seasonic Plat. 660w
0091/2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2016, 12:00 AM   #22
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

yes

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2016, 01:05 AM   #23
CyanBlues
Radeon Northern Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0091/2 View Post
Can you have more than one user for hello?
depends on what you mean, for one account there is only one face recognition but you can use multiple finger print with a single account.

Other then that if you have multiple account, each account can have its own windows hello/face recognition.
Old Nov 14, 2016, 05:59 AM   #24
jimmt
Trumpification

jimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird singsjimmt knows why the caged bird sings

NO!!! I have been wanting one of these, but do not want to shell out $900 on it (for that much would spend a little more and get surface book). Can't believe I missed this

They are having the same deal on Black Friday. I might leave the house at 5pm on Thanksgiving (something I don't' usually support since I believe BF should be on FRIDAY!) and try to get it.
MSI Z87M Gaming|Intel i7 4770k |16GB DDR3 PC3 12800|XFX RX470 4GB | 6TB HDD |Windows 10 Pro
Laptop
Dell Inspiron 7577 | Intel i7-7700HQ |16GB DDR 4 DRAM 2400 |Nvidia 1060 6GB |3TB NVMe/SDD |Windows 10 Pro
VR
HPWMR / PSVR
Consoles
Switch|WiiU|Wii|Gamecube|New 3DS XL|DS|GBA|N64|SNES|NES|XBOX|XBOX360|XBONEX|PS1|PS2|PS3|PS4|Vita|PSP|DreamCast|Genesis
Classical Liberalism: A political ideology and a branch of liberalism which advocates civil liberties, private property, and political freedom with representative democracy under the rule of law. Strong emphasizes economic freedom and the individual over the collective.
jimmt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2016, 10:25 AM   #25
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

I've had my Surface Pro 4 for maybe half a year now? I love it still. It's been a great laptop. I'm less than impressed with using it in a Tablet mode. The browsers and stuff aren't very touchscreen friendly at the moment. But as a touchscreen laptop? It's a beautiful device. Now if only I could keep the screen clean.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 14, 2016, 03:29 PM   #26
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I've had my Surface Pro 4 for maybe half a year now? I love it still. It's been a great laptop. I'm less than impressed with using it in a Tablet mode. The browsers and stuff aren't very touchscreen friendly at the moment. But as a touchscreen laptop? It's a beautiful device. Now if only I could keep the screen clean.
I use chrome and it works brilliantly (used the same setup on my XPS 12 back before I gave it to my parents).

Swipe to go back rather than click on items, and you can adjust scaling to make everything easier to click.

I have not used Edge as much, though I guess I should considering it is supposedly MUCH lighter on battery life and now supports extensions.
Old Nov 21, 2016, 08:49 AM   #27
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I think my next "laptop" will be a Surface Pro 5.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2016, 09:40 AM   #28
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled withMahjik is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I think my next "laptop" will be a Surface Pro 5.
My new device at work is a Microsoft Surface Book. I picked up a Surface Pro 4 for my daughter recently. I've been very impressed with the Surface products so far... There are some minor limitations compared to a larger old school laptop, but overall they are quality devices.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 28, 2016, 11:12 AM   #29
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mahjik View Post
My new device at work is a Microsoft Surface Book. I picked up a Surface Pro 4 for my daughter recently. I've been very impressed with the Surface products so far... There are some minor limitations compared to a larger old school laptop, but overall they are quality devices.
Agreed

I wish the pen/touch sensor accuracy was better. Works brilliantly with my fingers but the pen is a little off

Calibration issue? Dunno yet, haven't really delved into it.