Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 25, 2016, 05:03 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

Default Can someone explain iPhone trade-in at Verizon?

It sounds too good to be true. You pay taxes for a new iPhone 7 when signing up for 24 installment pay plan ($27.08 a month) and give them your iPhone 6. After they receive device, they give you $650 credit on your account, divided into 24 credits.

So basically, your monthly bill remains unchanged and you have a newer phone and are only out the taxes on $650. I think you even get to keep your old earbuds.

Am I missing something? I already switched to their "new" cheaper plan that has removed the cell phone subsidy. Don't understand why they would make their plans this much more attractive.
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2016, 06:01 PM   #2
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
It sounds too good to be true. You pay taxes for a new iPhone 7 when signing up for 24 installment pay plan ($27.08 a month) and give them your iPhone 6. After they receive device, they give you $650 credit on your account, divided into 24 credits.

So basically, your monthly bill remains unchanged and you have a newer phone and are only out the taxes on $650. I think you even get to keep your old earbuds.

Am I missing something? I already switched to their "new" cheaper plan that has removed the cell phone subsidy. Don't understand why they would make their plans this much more attractive.
Basically whatever you think you'd get for your monthly payment, you get a discount on it based on whatever you are trading in, and obviously the taxes you mentioned.

BUT, run the numbers and they will typically give you additional information showing before/after costs.

My girlfriend just did this, but went through Best Buy as they had a lot of stock and have better CS than the Verizon stores. She still has to turn her phone into Verizon, but she has 2 weeks to do that.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2016, 09:54 AM   #3
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I'm on a 2 month old 6S and the Verizon offer is tempting ..

but I also don't want to lose the headphone jack.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 26, 2016, 09:57 AM   #4
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I'm on a 2 month old 6S and the Verizon offer is tempting ..

but I also don't want to lose the headphone jack.
2 months, paying $100 or more out of pocket, but the 7 > 6s so it is compelling.

The 7 plus is a worse value prop

If you aren't charging your device while using the headphone jack, you may not see much of an issue. Otherwise, dongles baby
Old Sep 26, 2016, 09:59 AM   #5
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

This is what I did. You have to sign up for the monthly payment plan and Verizon gives you a monthly credit for your trade-in. This reduced my 7+ payment to about $16/mo. My wife's 7 was basically free (monthly payments were a wash).
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:03 AM   #6
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
2 months, paying $100 or more out of pocket, but the 7 > 6s so it is compelling.

The 7 plus is a worse value prop

If you aren't charging your device while using the headphone jack, you may not see much of an issue. Otherwise, dongles baby
i like the phone in my pocket while listening to music. having the stupid dongle is going to make it uncomfortable and annoying.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Sep 26, 2016, 10:07 AM   #7
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
This is what I did. You have to sign up for the monthly payment plan and Verizon gives you a monthly credit for your trade-in. This reduced my 7+ payment to about $16/mo. My wife's 7 was basically free (monthly payments were a wash).
Almost the same situation. She's paying a bit more per month because she had a 5 (I know, it was driving me crazy).

She also got Apple Care so it's a little more overall, but not dramatically more than before. Some decent promo's running.

AND, Best Buy reps and manager said if there is a black Friday deal for the new phones (unlikely, but you never know), they would have gift cards to compensate.
Old Sep 26, 2016, 08:24 PM   #8
TenFour
Radeon Northern Islands

TenFour is still being judged by the masses

Yes, I went into the store today, and this deal is real. I can't believe how much they moved in the direction of charging the customer less since two years ago.

The subsidy is removed from my bill ($450 / 24 per phone) on their updated plan, and I get a phone upgrade for $60 (tax plus $20 upgrade fee). So basically, it's costing me $450 less than the same kind of trade-in I did two years ago with them.

You do have to keep the new phone on their plan or you are required to pay it off immediately, so you would be out the remainder of its value. This is very similar to the old early-termination fee. I guess the market has just become more competitive.

Not thrilled about the gone headphone jack, but I only ever use the included buds anyway, so the only annoyances are that I can't charge and listen simultaneously, and I can't use the new buds with other devices. I think it's worth upgrading so the resale value is popped back up. These things are constantly depreciating...
TenFour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 26, 2016, 08:59 PM   #9
DigitalDemon
Swordless Mimetown

DigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwardsDigitalDemon can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenFour View Post
You do have to keep the new phone on their plan or you are required to pay it off immediately, so you would be out the remainder of its value. This is very similar to the old early-termination fee. I guess the market has just become more competitive.
Ding. They spread the credit out over 2 years to hopefully lock you in for a couple of years. Even with the measly 4GB @ $70 a month, that's about $1700 for them, minus the maybe a hundred dollars they loose reselling your trade in. Keeping a subscriber is more valuable than the loss on a subsidy. They will sell that iphone 6, parents will bite off their mother's toes if it meant $50 off a 'refurbished' iphone for their bratty kid.
DigitalDemon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2016, 08:26 AM   #10
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Since the contracts became illegal they had to lock people in somehow ..
Old Sep 27, 2016, 09:13 AM   #11
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
i like the phone in my pocket while listening to music. having the stupid dongle is going to make it uncomfortable and annoying.
Upgrade n***a. Get them wireless beats for the lo lo of $299

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 27, 2016, 09:50 AM   #12
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
Upgrade n***a. Get them wireless beats for the lo lo of $299