Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:28 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Just felt like sharing an update to my experience, in the off chance that someone might accidentally buy this phone.

Last night I power cycled it. This was around 10 ish or so. I remembered doing this because it wasn't connecting to data services despite being on WiFi. This just happens sometimes. I wasn't too bothered. Power off, then back on. Immediately plugged it into my charger (launched no apps).

Around 12:30am (just after midnight) I was getting ready to go to bed. I pulled it off the charger and dropped it on the bed. At the time it was at 100% battery. I brushed my teeth n' stuff. Laid down. Surfed Reddit for a few minutes. Around 1am it was time to pass out. Checked the battery it said 94% (okay ish for 20 minutes usage I guess). Looked at General > Battery & Power Saving > Battery Usage ... and looked at the list of apps. Android OS 17% and Phone idle 14% type of stuff. The usual. Down towards the bottom I had BaconReader and Skype both under 5%. Decided to force stop everything. Did NOT plug my phone in. Wanted to see how it fared overnight without being on a charger.

So I wake up this morning at 8am. It's been off a charger, by my bed, not being used (dim display showing only clock & notification icons), and wasn't touched. When I got up, I picked it up and it was at 46% battery life. This is without use, just sitting there by itself overnight. 50% ish battery life used in 7 hours of idle standby.

My new standard behavior with this phone is leave it on a charger whenever I'm home, put it on a charger when I'm at work, or keep it on a charger when I'm in the car.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2016, 12:44 PM   #32
borat
Radeon R700

borat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyborat can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have a 10 year old phone with an equally old battery that can idle for ~3 days. Wanna trade?
borat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 6, 2016, 05:39 PM   #33
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
Just felt like sharing an update to my experience, in the off chance that someone might accidentally buy this phone.

Last night I power cycled it. This was around 10 ish or so. I remembered doing this because it wasn't connecting to data services despite being on WiFi. This just happens sometimes. I wasn't too bothered. Power off, then back on. Immediately plugged it into my charger (launched no apps).

Around 12:30am (just after midnight) I was getting ready to go to bed. I pulled it off the charger and dropped it on the bed. At the time it was at 100% battery. I brushed my teeth n' stuff. Laid down. Surfed Reddit for a few minutes. Around 1am it was time to pass out. Checked the battery it said 94% (okay ish for 20 minutes usage I guess). Looked at General > Battery & Power Saving > Battery Usage ... and looked at the list of apps. Android OS 17% and Phone idle 14% type of stuff. The usual. Down towards the bottom I had BaconReader and Skype both under 5%. Decided to force stop everything. Did NOT plug my phone in. Wanted to see how it fared overnight without being on a charger.

So I wake up this morning at 8am. It's been off a charger, by my bed, not being used (dim display showing only clock & notification icons), and wasn't touched. When I got up, I picked it up and it was at 46% battery life. This is without use, just sitting there by itself overnight. 50% ish battery life used in 7 hours of idle standby.

My new standard behavior with this phone is leave it on a charger whenever I'm home, put it on a charger when I'm at work, or keep it on a charger when I'm in the car.
YIKESSS!!! Thats with the G5?! Dear lord something must be wrong unless a lot of other G5 users are reporting the same. Im using the G4 and i lose 10% or less if left on standby for 7/8hrs. THO if on only cellular (2 maybe 3 bars i get in my house) i drop a lot more, and i mean a lot... 25% or more .
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 6, 2016, 05:55 PM   #34
Flyordie
Lets roll...

Flyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyFlyordie can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

DOZE must not be working on your phone.

Samsung released a small internal update to re-enable DOZE on the Note 5 last month. If I lay my phone down and let it sit for 30-40m with the screen off.. when I go to pick it up, it has to re-establish all the connections again. Including cellular links. It dives into a deep sleep. Shuts down everything, WiFi, Cellular, puts the RAM into a ULP state, and after an hour it literally hibernates the phone. Takes about 5 seconds for it to wake up when that happens though. Not a bother to me though, 5 seconds is better than not having a phone when you need it cause the battery was drained in 5 hours.
Prior to DOZE being enabled, I was losing 20-30% at night just sitting idle.
Old Sep 8, 2016, 12:30 PM   #35
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

Even without doze like features, my previous androids did 1-2% per hour when left alone

Is this screen/clock/notification the culprit maybe?
Old Oct 4, 2016, 05:38 PM   #36
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

I know this is a bot of a necro bump, but i just got this phone (and one for my girlfriend and am not quite having the same experience.

So far (only two days) I am very pleased. The phone works exactly as expected (including the fingerprint reader which I use to unlock my phone with no errors) and is a decent upgrade from my LG G3.

Some of your gripes also seem to be user related (cracked screen, cracked camera lens) and I don't know how that fits into your overall complaints that this is just a bad phone. Especially when you admitted you dropped the phone and the screen is made of Corning gorilla glass just like any other decent/flagship phone. To me it just sounds like you have bad luck and/or a jackef up unit that needs to be exchanged for another one.

The only thing i can agree with is that the "Friends" accessories are a waste, but any online review mentioned that at the phone's release.

Also this phone got a lot of criticism at release (much of it hyperbole) due to the metal unibody/microdized finish controversy as well as some fit and finish QA issues. 7 months later at least based on the two phones in my house that has definitely changed. Even some reviewers that did follow up reviews (after using for months) have had much better things to say about the phone.

Anyway, I went in knowing exactly what to expect (initial issues and reviews included) and couldnt be happier. I kind of prefer not having an Apple or Samsung phone like everyobe else and their mother.
Clockwork is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2016, 06:15 PM   #37
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I have 2 separate friends that owns LG G3s.

One have the screen just died on him after almost exactly 1 year of use. He had to pay $150 to get the screen replaced.

One have a problem with a light sensor or something. His screen will only go bright when there is a lot of light in the room/outdoor. Whenever the room goes dark his screen also goes dark. And his screen auto brightness setting was set to off. He got fed up and bought a OnePlus 3 recently.

My sister has a LG G4. It is working but she said is overheats quite badly. I told her to prepare for the worst and backup her stuff often.

I have a Moto X Pure that also uses the same chipset Snapdragon 808. It is working just fine. I do not understand how the same chipset would be fine on the Motorola but get so overheated on the LG G4.

Bottom line: Do not buy LG until they clean up themselves.

However with the recent battery explosion and fire problems with the Samsung Note 7, I also do not recommend buying a Samsung.

Is this the downhill of the Korea cellphone market? We will see.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If you wasn't in my way, I wouldn't have shot you" -Kamille Bidan, Zeta Gundam
"It is easy to give up. Anyone can do it. But I choose the hard path." -Beyond
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa

Last edited by CHIPS : Oct 18, 2016 at 06:25 PM.
CHIPS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 18, 2016, 06:22 PM   #38
CHIPS
The Overmind

CHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyCHIPS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:

I would install Greenify and enable Aggressive Doze, "Doze on the Go" and Automated Hibernation. Just keep your phone hibernating always.

Also disable any features that uses your phone sensors. Like auto brightness. Till screen to screen on. Double tap screen to screen on. etc. That way you phone will disable all its sensors and saves a lot of power.

"Humans in general are very self-interested, while expecting all other humans around them to be selfless."
"Sometimes, it is not about whatever you can do something or not. It is about, if you cannot do it, who else can?"
"A difficult task might stop you from getting it done. But it cannot stop you from trying your best."
"Who you hang out with is who you will become" "Do not act on feelings, but act on facts"
"It does not matter how other people sees you. What matters is how you see yourself." "Some pains are sharp, but short. Some pains are dull, but long."
"I killed you ten times with my knife and you killed me 13 times with a gun so I pwned you!" -Crawdaddy79
"Gorgeous white girls everywhere with that "I'M SOOO HOT AND YOU CAN'T HAVE ME" bullsh** attitude" -gts007
"If women can't compete with video games for our attention its their problem, not ours." -sumpwa
Old Oct 18, 2016, 09:44 PM   #39
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I'm still using my G3. Its been an excellent phone, one that I'm in no hurry to replace.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2016, 12:38 PM   #40
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

Clockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird singsClockwork knows why the caged bird sings

Two more weeks. Two phones. Still no issues.
Old Oct 19, 2016, 01:48 PM   #41
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

Just got a "new" version of this phone off of Ebay to replace my Note 7 until something even better comes along.

Miss the home button and the capacitive ones from my Samsung devices, so still trying to get used to the virtual buttons on the screen and not happy about them taking up valuable real estate.

Also miss the screen of the Note 7, that was by far and away the most gorgeous screen of any device out there imho, bar none.
Nothing comes close to that Note7 display, so not a fan of the IPS LCD as much, not as bright, not as colorful, doesn't handle contrasts as well, etc.

Overall though, it's certainly a satisfactory device that will serve its purpose until something better comes along, but no Note7.

Edit: Also miss from my Note7 the stylus, the tethering hack, blue filter, AOD showing battery percentage, Samsung Pay, iris scanner, water and dust proofing...ughh

On the bright side, I do appreciate LG going with a removable battery and throwing in an IR blaster (Samsung should have kept the IR blaster from the Note 4, S5, etc)
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 19, 2016, 07:34 PM   #42
night
Radeon Arctic Islands

night can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultynight can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I still have my G2 and too scared to try something new given the expense. I also use an LG Gpad 8.3 as a car head unit and love it (it's basically and oversized G2). The buttons in the back of the phone and double tap on/off are awesome and sold me way back when it came out.
My battery is worn out now, but when it was new it would last nearly a week with texting only. I never talk on the phone. Also turning wifi to go off when the phone is asleep helps the battery a ton.

(oh, and LG has had IR blasters for a long time now. My G2 and the tablet have it)
Old Oct 20, 2016, 10:50 AM   #43
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

GSM Arena just did a nice shootout of the camera and video features between the iPhone 7, G5, S7, and Xperia.

The G5 ended up being the best all around.

http://www.gsmarena.com/camera_shoot...iew-1509p7.php
Old Oct 20, 2016, 03:00 PM   #44
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clockwork View Post
GSM Arena just did a nice shootout of the camera and video features between the iPhone 7, G5, S7, and Xperia.

The G5 ended up being the best all around.

http://www.gsmarena.com/camera_shoot...iew-1509p7.php
The camera is indeed quite nice.
Just wish it had better low light performance like the S7/Note7.
Old Oct 21, 2016, 12:47 PM   #45
CHIPS
The Overmind

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
Just got a "new" version of this phone off of Ebay to replace my Note 7 until something even better comes along.

Miss the home button and the capacitive ones from my Samsung devices, so still trying to get used to the virtual buttons on the screen and not happy about them taking up valuable real estate.

Also miss the screen of the Note 7, that was by far and away the most gorgeous screen of any device out there imho, bar none.
Nothing comes close to that Note7 display, so not a fan of the IPS LCD as much, not as bright, not as colorful, doesn't handle contrasts as well, etc.

Overall though, it's certainly a satisfactory device that will serve its purpose until something better comes along, but no Note7.

Edit: Also miss from my Note7 the stylus, the tethering hack, blue filter, AOD showing battery percentage, Samsung Pay, iris scanner, water and dust proofing...ughh

On the bright side, I do appreciate LG going with a removable battery and throwing in an IR blaster (Samsung should have kept the IR blaster from the Note 4, S5, etc)
The LG G5se is worst than the original LG G5. But I guess it is cheaper to buy.

Old Oct 21, 2016, 01:47 PM   #46
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHIPS View Post
The LG G5se is worst than the original LG G5. But I guess it is cheaper to buy.
Didn't mean SE -- didn't even know there was an SE, so I guess the wording could be confusing for those who were aware.

Just meant that the seller had listed it as "New", despite noting that it didn't come in an original sealed box.

It's very much a standard G5.
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:49 AM   #47
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Looks like LG may also scrap the modular design with the G6. Meaning the idea will likely die with the G5 and G5SE

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10...ds-modules-g6/

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2016, 11:58 AM   #48
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Looks like LG may also scrap the modular design with the G6. Meaning the idea will likely die with the G5 and G5SE

http://www.androidpolice.com/2016/10...ds-modules-g6/
Smart move, considering what a joke the modules were and how much more elegantly Motorola does it on the Moto Z and Moto Z Force.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2016, 12:45 PM   #49
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Well I think the only one that was any good was the Bang & Olufsen DAC and it wasn't available in the US . We should have seen ones that did more and it never really happened. Plus your right, Lenovo has done a way better job with the idea in the Moto Z's

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 5, 2016, 11:01 AM   #50
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Alright let me see... I'll dig out the LG G5. Turn it back on. Okay great. Oh man that's a bunch of apps that need to be updated. I guess it has been a couple months. Alright I'll hit update. It's connected to WiFi? Cool. Let 'er rip and check back in a half hour.

Let's see how are we doing? Oh...

"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Old Nov 5, 2016, 02:39 PM   #51
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

Subscriber

So the lesson for the day is that if you have 30+ apps that need updating, do NOT do this without first putting the phone on a charger. I put it on a charger when it got down to 11% battery life.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Nov 8, 2016, 09:21 AM   #52
Clockwork
Radeon Arctic Islands

We get it. You hate your phone. Your results are not typical though.

Last night with constant use (connected via WiFi and WiFi calling enabled):

Quote:
While I was asleep:

Quote:
Old Nov 8, 2016, 04:50 PM   #53
CHIPS
The Overmind

Quote:
So the lesson for the day is that if you have 30+ apps that need updating, do NOT do this without first putting the phone on a charger. I put it on a charger when it got down to 11% battery life.

Did you install Greenify? Oh might as well install Purify too!

This is usage with the screen turned off?