Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jul 24, 2016, 08:12 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber
Thumbs down LG G5 and my very disappointing experience

A couple months ago I decided to stray from the world of the iOS devices back to the world of Android. I looked at the "premium" phones out there and couldn't decide between the Samsung Galaxy S7 or the LG G5 at the time. I read reviews on both. Finally decided to give the G5 a try. I thought their modular approach was interesting, that the camera attachment might be worth a try, and I liked the idea of swappable batteries. Especially since my biggest gripe with previous Android phones (namely the Nexus 5) was the battery life.

I picked up the G5 and figured if I wasn't happy within the first couple weeks, I'd swap to the Galaxy S7. As it turns out, my second day with the thing cemented my G5 decision. I dropped it from about waist height onto the concrete (my dog pulled on his leash while I was putting it in my pocket). The glass on the front of the screen shattered in the top right (it was still functional though). And within just a couple days of owning the thing I was already having to do an insurance order for a replacement. This was on June 10th.

Since then I've been less than happy with the device. The battery life also sucks. I use it a lot for texting, messaging, and other chat services (namely Hangouts, Slack, and Skype), and for playing music on walks. That's really it. But it feels like if I'm using it, I can pretty much watch the % battery life drop by 1 every minute it's on. Been running errands today. It was 100% fully charged when I left the house. That was 3 hours ago. It's 8pm and it's at 70%. Battery bandits? 19% voice calls (talked for 30 minutes), 15% screen, 9% Android OS, 8% call services, 7% phone idle, 5% Google Play Music, 5% Google Play Services...So at this rate it's predicting that it will be dead in 6 hours. 9 hours of battery life? And I'm not running a lot of stuff on it. This just feels broken.

The screen sucks. In daylight, you just can't see it. The brightness is set to the max and it's just hard to see in direct sunlight. The "always on" display that shows the clock on the lock screen is just about impossible to see if you're outside.

The fingerprint sensor? Works about 20% of the time. I'm actually surprised when it does work. Coming from an iPhone where the fingerprint sensor works remarkably well, it's jarring to try and use a device that consistently tells me: "Unable to use fingerprints. Tap knock code." I tried it three times now as I was typing this. Sometimes it just silently fails. I put my finger on the fingerprint sensor and it vibrates but nothing happens. I move my finger and try again, it vibrates but nothing happens. Try a different finger and I get that message. Both are setup and able to access the device, sometimes. But not right now. I've tried re-calibrating the sensor 3 times now. Deleting my fingerprints and setting them back up on different occasions and it just refuses to work consistently.

The camera module thing that I bought? It feels like a cheap, plastic Chinese knock off. I've used it once. It's more of a pain in the ass to use. It doesn't give you a "camera" feel to it. With a physical button for camera snapshots. It just feels like I slapped a cheap Happy Meal toy on my phone. Like buying a "Selfie Stick" and realizing when you unbox it that it really says "Selfy Stick-ru" on the box and it's really one of those plastic toy shark mouth grabber things on a stick from when we were in 3rd grade and a rubber band that snapped while it was in transit. It just doesn't feel very well thought out or made very well.

Why did I want to go back to Android in the first place? Well I was tired of Apple's locked in ecosystem. I had an iPhone but no other i-Devices. I don't use a Mac, or a MacBook. I wanted to use iMessage on my Windows PCs. My laptop, work laptop, home desktop? All Windows computers. Not to mention the iPhone 6+ that I have was just too big. I wanted a large screen but regret it. I can't type one handed which means sending a message while walking the dog, or really doing anything else, is impossible. I was ready to commit to the Google ecosystem. Except, now they're neutering Hangouts (removing SMS & Hangouts threaded messages?) and they're introducing more apps like Allo and whatever else they introduced at Google IO. What the hell are you doing there at Google? Google Voice is being treated like the redheaded stepchild it wants to forget even exists. Google itself recommends using their "Messaging" client instead of Voice or Hangouts for texting.

(sigh)

And now, today... I pull my phone out of my pocket to take a picture and it's blurry. Okay there's stuff on the lens... no... no there isn't. The glass on the lens decided to shatter. For no ****ing reason. I don't wear skinny jeans. It left my pocket once to take a phone call. Otherwise, it hasn't been dropped or anything. The lens is just shattered and I have NO IDEA WHY. I'm having to decide if I want to spend ANOTHER $150 deductible to replace the phone for a second time in just over a month.

**** the LG G5. I regret buying this thing so hard right now. I have more rants but I'm just super disappointed in this thing. It makes me sad.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2016, 08:46 PM   #2
VW_Factor
ÜBERVERBOTEN!

VW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwardsVW_Factor can recite pi backwards

You chose an LG over a Samsung?

I don't even know when/why/how it happened with mine, but the cover over the camera pinhole thing is cracked. Still takes perfect (phone) pictures.

LG makes some ok stuff, but I've never been impressed with the phone devices.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John Smith
"Fail" = verb "Failure" = noun
VW_Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 24, 2016, 09:10 PM   #3
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW_Factor View Post
You chose an LG over a Samsung?

I don't even know when/why/how it happened with mine, but the cover over the camera pinhole thing is cracked. Still takes perfect (phone) pictures.

LG makes some ok stuff, but I've never been impressed with the phone devices.
Yeah but my previous experience with Samsung was the Galaxy S3 device. So it's been a long while.

Which phone do you have?
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:09 PM   #4
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I got tired of the wide openness of Android, went to iOS, won't be going back anytime soon. My wife has a G4, it's an okay phone, but she's had to warranty replace it already, and the battery life is crap, screen isn't amazing, it's just an okay phone. I got so sick of my Note 5 due to battery life that I actually switched to iOS, after how many years of trashing it? The walled garden doesn't bother me, I don't need iMessage for Windows, I mainly use Hangouts or just plain text messaging still. I hardly use iTunes, though I do like it for podcasts on my work PC. The new Samsungs seem to have the kind of battery life I've been looking for, but I've been burned by Samsung too much to go back to them at this point.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2016, 04:55 AM   #5
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I'm getting none of your issues on my S7e. Sell off your G5 and buy an S7 series, don't think you'll regret it.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2016, 07:22 AM   #6
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Samsung = Overpriced.

Buy a Huawei.
daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2016, 08:40 AM   #7
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by daPhoenix View Post
Samsung = Overpriced.

Buy a Huawei.
Huawei? What do they have that even comes close to an S7? A P9 with crappier everything?

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 26, 2016, 09:16 AM   #8
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
I'm getting none of your issues on my S7e. Sell off your G5 and buy an S7 series, don't think you'll regret it.
Sadly, I even thought about buying that S7 off of Omega on here. Instead I bought an EVGA GTX 1070 SC and some other related computer hardware for the desktop PC and the living room HTPC. NO RAGRETS!

Gonna be a bit before I pick up another phone.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jul 26, 2016, 10:14 AM   #9
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

HTC 10, no issues so far, drop test on YT, 30+ drops on concrete to the glass face before it came close to failing.

G5 was the last phone I would of bought this year!
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 26, 2016, 04:15 PM   #10
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

My HTC one m9 is the best phone I've ever used. HTC is awesome.
Old Jul 26, 2016, 04:33 PM   #11
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

Subscriber

If I had it to do over again I'd probably get an S7. But I thought the HTC devices looked interesting too.

Sent from my LGLS992 using Tapatalk

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:26 AM   #12
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

my HTC M8 was awesome. I'd recommend HTC again after that phone. I lost it unfortunately and ended up going with a Note 5 to replace it.

the phone did heat up a little bit during use but that was my only complaint.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2016, 02:36 PM   #13
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

I had the LG g2 before this HTC and it was probably the worst phone I've ever used. The difference was night and day.
Old Jul 27, 2016, 05:35 PM   #14
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Been really happy with my G3, so am very disappointed to hear about your G5 experience. G5 looked like a really solid upgrade for me next year (generally buy 1gen behind).
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2016, 06:08 PM   #15
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lupine View Post
Been really happy with my G3, so am very disappointed to hear about your G5 experience. G5 looked like a really solid upgrade for me next year (generally buy 1gen behind).
I have an LG G5 I'd be willing to sell you on the cheap if you're interested.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jul 27, 2016, 06:49 PM   #16
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
I have an LG G5 I'd be willing to sell you on the cheap if you're interested.
Man, I bet.

So no lemon-law type thing for phones? I'm a bit shocked that you'd have to pay a deductible for multiple warranty replacement for what seem to be defect issues. No way to leverage your industry connections?
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2016, 10:57 PM   #17
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Who buys an LG phone. lol.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:43 AM   #18
shrike126
Roxen. You are missed.

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
Who buys an LG phone. lol.

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
Quote:
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:05 PM   #19
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

Honestly, the biggest thing about iPhone and Apple products in general is how little I have to care about it, and how much I can get on with my life.

I've owned every phone out there including most BlackBerry's, and honestly if i look at it all, iPhone is the one where I went.. meh, phone does what I want it to do when I need it.

I've even turned off the battery indicator on my iPhone 6S+ simply because I've never ran out of battery since I got it (sure it goes down to 10% but never had I had to run to a charger to get it running)
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2016, 11:28 PM   #20
KAC
KAC

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

iPhone 6S on the other hand needs to be charged every 4-5 hours.
Old Jul 29, 2016, 01:35 AM   #21
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Use an S7E myself. Permanently tied as a hotspot to my tablet and laptop 8 hours a day for internet access, bluetooth on for my earpiece, GPS usually on as well. At least 2 hours of active phonecalls a day. A little browsing in between. Usually down to 30% on the battery by the end of the day.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 09:31 AM   #22
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

The only saving grace of LG is they got that removable battery thing going for them. Which IMO is kick ass. Wish I could replace mine so easily.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:43 AM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
The only saving grace of LG is they got that removable battery thing going for them. Which IMO is kick ass. Wish I could replace mine so easily.
Battery life over a day on newer phones makes this pretty unnecessary, IMO.
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:45 AM   #24
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Battery life over a day on newer phones makes this pretty unnecessary, IMO.
Not all phones have that. Having a user replaceable option is a decent option in light of that.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 10:57 AM   #25
wazman
Resident Curmudgeon

wazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete strangerwazman once held a door open for a complete stranger

I'd still rather have Motorola's larger batteries for longer life than a removable battery. I miss my Droid Turbo every day.

RIP, Hannibal. RIP, Shadow. RIP, Mitchell. RIP, Annie. RIP, Jones.
wazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 30, 2016, 02:23 PM   #26
KAC
KAC

You guys never heard of power bricks or power covers for your phones?!
Old Jul 30, 2016, 02:37 PM   #27
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Not all phones have that. Having a user replaceable option is a decent option in light of that.
Or don't do a removable battery and fit a larger battery. If people need more charge there are still other options.
Old Aug 1, 2016, 10:22 AM   #28
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Huawei? What do they have that even comes close to an S7? A P9 with crappier everything?
The P9 and crappier than S7? Also they have the Mate S.

And yes, we have both devices, my wife has the Sammy - i have the Huawei. And believe it or not, i wouldn't want to switch phones.

That aside, i also wouldn't get an LG

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 1, 2016, 01:58 PM   #29
Zero
Sass hole

S7 has a better screen, camera, battery life. What reason would you pick the P9 or Mate D over an S7?

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 1, 2016, 04:16 PM   #30
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

well, as Phoenix said, it's a lot cheaper and the differences are minimal. That aside both huawei sound a lot better than the sammies. The s7 is a good phone, no question. A lot of people simply like the huawei more. And they are far from being "crappy" phones.

"Another world, another time, in the age of wonder. A thousand years ago, this land was green and good - until the Crystal cracked."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote