Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:25 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Default iOS 10 - users' thoughts and feedback?

I installed it, finally, yesterday and so far I've been having a blast.

Obviously, it's a beta/preview so there are glitches and issues. Overall though, I quite enjoy it.

This is a good write-up on the OS: http://arstechnica.com/apple/2016/07...ic-beta-build/

Personal opinion? Quite polished v/s iOS 9.3 (I was using beta 5 before I switched profiles).

Pro's:
  • So far, pretty stable
  • 3-D touch finally worth something
  • New control panel is easier to use
  • Notifications can be removed without requiring as many touches/clicks, also much easier to read
  • Clock is much easier on the eyes
  • Variety of other clean up items, including unpinning most of the Apple stock apps (they are still there, just no icon)
  • Tilt to wake is brilliant and I no longer have to click at least twice to get to camera, now I can tilt to wake, swipe up from bottom, click on camera or 3-D touch for more options.

Con's, It's a beta, so not really many I can think of:
  • News app is REALLY buggy. I can't see any news surfaced on the swipe to left screen
  • Notification shade pull down and left screen are identical currently. Hopefully we can have a bit more differentiation for this redundancy
  • 3-D touch on App icon no longer has update apps option

Stability has been pretty good. I've only had to do a reboot once, when the photo's app basically shut down and killed my app drawer @ the bottom of the screen.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:35 AM   #2
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I was thinking on trying it out after I'm done working later today. Going so long without a jailbreak made me tired of stock iOS 9, so I'm looking forward to seeing something even if it's just slightly different from it.
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I don't like the new unlock feature at all. When I press the home button I want it to immediately unlock because it's registered my finger print. I don't want to turn it on them have to press the button again. At the very least I want to be able to toggle this "feature."
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:46 AM   #4
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I don't like the new unlock feature at all. When I press the home button I want it to immediately unlock because it's registered my finger print. I don't want to turn it on them have to press the button again. At the very least I want to be able to toggle this "feature."
I don't think I should have to click the home button to get into the phone when I raise it, agreed. But when I click, it takes me in. Is it not doing that for you?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:50 AM   #5
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
I don't think I should have to click the home button to get into the phone when I raise it, agreed. But when I click, it takes me in. Is it not doing that for you?
I'm not used to the raise feature yet, doesn't seem to work 100% of the time either. I'm used to pulling my phone out of my pocket while hitting the home button, phone is ready to go before I even lay eyes on it. Half the time I put my finger on the home button now after it wakes up and it slides to the unlock code screen, then I have to press the button again, usually a 3rd time at this point. The hotel lock procedure seems a little disjointed right now, for me.
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:55 AM   #6
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I'm not used to the raise feature yet, doesn't seem to work 100% of the time either. I'm used to pulling my phone out of my pocket while hitting the home button, phone is ready to go before I even lay eyes on it. Half the time I put my finger on the home button now after it wakes up and it slides to the unlock code screen, then I have to press the button again, usually a 3rd time at this point. The hotel lock procedure seems a little disjointed right now, for me.
Gotcha.

It's working correctly for me so far, but there has been a learning curve since yesterday. It seems to work right all the time for me as far as I can tell. I'm using the glance screen more than before (going back to my Android use pattern I guess).

-edit-

Have you submitted a trouble ticket/suggestion?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:58 AM   #7
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Did they remove some VPN types? My VPN's were deleted and I don't see the PPTP type anymore.

Edit: yep they got rid of it. I think I have to go back to iOS 9.3...
Old Jul 8, 2016, 04:31 PM   #8
Elysian
SCAATSJW

When I go to the Messaging app whatever I'm listening to stops. I'm thinking it's because they changed the method for taking a picture, now you can actually do it without even opening the camera.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 03:03 PM   #9
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
When I go to the Messaging app whatever I'm listening to stops. I'm thinking it's because they changed the method for taking a picture, now you can actually do it without even opening the camera.
Sweet

I've had to do a hard reboot twice so far, but overall it's pretty decent. Such is the life of a beta user
Old Jul 9, 2016, 05:35 PM   #10
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I would not be surprised if ios 10 cripples iphone 6s devices like ios 9 did with the iphone 6/plus. I would not update my personal phone to ios 10 I learnt my lesson with previous iphones.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 09:24 PM   #11
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

9.1-9.3 were decent enough for my phone. Most of the lag was gone.

iOS10 is definitely VERY laggy. A lot like the launch edition 6s+ performance.

But it's still beta so willing to wait and see what's what.
Old Jul 9, 2016, 09:35 PM   #12
ElBerryKM13
Radeon Evergreen

ElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyElBerryKM13 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
9.1-9.3 were decent enough for my phone. Most of the lag was gone.

iOS10 is definitely VERY laggy. A lot like the launch edition 6s+ performance.

But it's still beta so willing to wait and see what's what.
Would not update ever. Thanks for confirming my thoughs
Old Jul 9, 2016, 11:42 PM   #13
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElBerryKM13 View Post
Would not update ever. Thanks for confirming my thoughs
It's a beta so I expected some lag

Will report in on the final version.
Old Jul 10, 2016, 07:45 AM   #14
Cynicalking
who

Cynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete strangerCynicalking once held a door open for a complete stranger

I'm not seeing much lag on my 6s plus and my wife's 6 plus. One time the app switcher lagged and froze and had to do a hard reboot, and there's some occasional stutter but not on the level the first releases of IOS 9 lagged on the 6 plus.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Cynicalking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2016, 09:09 AM   #15
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I disabled "Raise to wake." I think it was the major cause of issue unlocking for me, sometimes making me have to push the home button 3+ times instead of just twice. Also just annoyed me. Went on a walk last night, had the phone in hand, podcast playing, and the LED flash on as a flashlight. When I'd swing my hand while walking the screen would come on, so it basically came on every 10-20 seconds. I wouldn't be surprised if that was also happening in my pocket. I've noticed more battery drain since putting 10 on, so we'll see.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 11:36 AM   #16
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I disabled "Raise to wake." I think it was the major cause of issue unlocking for me, sometimes making me have to push the home button 3+ times instead of just twice. Also just annoyed me. Went on a walk last night, had the phone in hand, podcast playing, and the LED flash on as a flashlight. When I'd swing my hand while walking the screen would come on, so it basically came on every 10-20 seconds. I wouldn't be surprised if that was also happening in my pocket. I've noticed more battery drain since putting 10 on, so we'll see.
I just disabled it as well, and things seem snappier all around. And it definitely unlocks faster.

Wonder what is going on. The accelerator use shouldn't be that complicated and never bothered me when I was using my Nexus 6. There seems to be more overhead with whatever they are doing here.

I still don't get why I have to CLICK on the home button if the phone is awake and I can simply rest my finger on the sensor.
Old Jul 13, 2016, 12:03 PM   #17
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I just disabled it as well, and things seem snappier all around. And it definitely unlocks faster.

Wonder what is going on. The accelerator use shouldn't be that complicated and never bothered me when I was using my Nexus 6. There seems to be more overhead with whatever they are doing here.

I still don't get why I have to CLICK on the home button if the phone is awake and I can simply rest my finger on the sensor.
Yeah I really don't get that. I have also been having an issue where when listening to a podcast using the stock podcast app it will suddenly stop playing, for no reason. Nothing touching the phone or screen, and it resumes just fine when I turn the screen on and press play. Sometimes it would only do it once every half an hour, other times it's like once every 5 minutes. No difference between using headphones, Bluetooth headphones, my Bluetooth head unit, or the phone's speaker. This beta is still VERY beta. I did look into going back, but the process is more complex than I'd like, and I don't NEED VPN so much that it's worth going back. I'm sure my work's VPN will be updated sometime in the future to work with iOS 10, and until then if I need it while away I can always tether to my laptop and login that way. Most of what I use it for benefits having a larger screen anyways.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 01:06 PM   #18
VVanks
Gentlemen Please...

VVanks is still being judged by the masses

My opinions:

Great:
- Apple Music update is GREAT

Good:
- Apple Maps update is decent
- General updates to the widget bar and notifications are useful
- Siri is faster and crisper

REALLY Bad:
- They added a blur effect to app launch and close... totally needless fluff that will only slow down the phone
- They made folders show on top of icons, this makes the icons in the folders harder to read. Dumb decision
- iMessage has gone to facebook ****.

Other than that, there's not many really attractive features that make the phone really new. I'm sticking to 9.3.3 until 10.1 or 10.2 at least on my iPhone 6S
VVanks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 20, 2016, 12:26 PM   #19
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

New public beta is out, 2 days after dev build.

Downloading/installing now but apparently now you can choose to just press finger on the ID rather than clicking home button when you raise to wake

Re: VVanks, agreed with the really bad stuff. Question re: folders since I guess I didn't get what you are referencing?

The overall animations are just janky and I'm hoping that things will tighten up as we get closer to the final build. Right now, it's something I'll have to live with. Will chime back in once updates are done.

-edit-

So, it's faster and smoother which is awesome.

And yes, you can rest finger to open (unlock) the phone.

No, it is NOT on the TouchID screen settings. It is in General > Accessibility > Home Button. You can adjust your double and triple click speed as well (for things like Apple Pay or task switcher).

Some folks are saying battery life is worse with rest finger to open active, I've only just installed so going to give it a couple of days to figure out what's what on that side.

Last edited by Sazar : Jul 20, 2016 at 12:49 PM.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 01:14 PM   #20
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
New public beta is out, 2 days after dev build.

Downloading/installing now but apparently now you can choose to just press finger on the ID rather than clicking home button when you raise to wake

Re: VVanks, agreed with the really bad stuff. Question re: folders since I guess I didn't get what you are referencing?

The overall animations are just janky and I'm hoping that things will tighten up as we get closer to the final build. Right now, it's something I'll have to live with. Will chime back in once updates are done.

-edit-

So, it's faster and smoother which is awesome.

And yes, you can rest finger to open (unlock) the phone.

No, it is NOT on the TouchID screen settings. It is in General > Accessibility > Home Button. You can adjust your double and triple click speed as well (for things like Apple Pay or task switcher).

Some folks are saying battery life is worse with rest finger to open active, I've only just installed so going to give it a couple of days to figure out what's what on that side.
Not sure how battery life could be worse than it already was in beta 1

Installing now.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 01:22 PM   #21
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Not sure how battery life could be worse than it already was in beta 1

Installing now.
My battery life was worse than what I had on 9.1 and 9.2, but it wasn't terrible. Was yours really bad?

I wonder if some stuff was just terribly implemented and not optimized.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 01:37 PM   #22
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Usually I'm at 40-50% when I get to bed at 11. Since 10 I've been down to 10-15%
Old Jul 20, 2016, 04:49 PM   #23
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Usually I'm at 40-50% when I get to bed at 11. Since 10 I've been down to 10-15%
Oh wow.

I use my phone relatively heavily, including gaming, but I typically am about the 40-50% mark. It's dipped immediately after some OS updates before but normalizes within a few days.

Others have noted battery issues with iOS 10 so you are not an anomaly.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 06:28 PM   #24
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I'm actually a pretty light user overall, but I leave Bluetooth on at all times, and don't do any power management. Before 10 this worked quite well for me. I'm sure they'll fix it before long.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 02:46 PM   #25
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Kind of early to judge 10. There are likely 3 more releases before gold master. Every release is opt and bug fixes, they'll get it panned out.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 02:58 PM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdelphiaX View Post
Kind of early to judge 10. There are likely 3 more releases before gold master. Every release is opt and bug fixes, they'll get it panned out.
This beta has improved the experience significantly I think. Much faster, battery life seems better.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 03:03 PM   #27
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
I'm actually a pretty light user overall, but I leave Bluetooth on at all times, and don't do any power management. Before 10 this worked quite well for me. I'm sure they'll fix it before long.
That's much like how I use it, but I also log into work stuff, IM'ing and what not, plus games

Oh, and a TON of music streaming via BT.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 10:54 PM   #28
Elysian
SCAATSJW

10:53pm and I'm at 43% battery remaining. I think whatever it was in beta 1 has been fixed.
Old Jul 22, 2016, 09:19 AM   #29
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

So, raise to wake and touch to unlock work so much faster now that I accidentally unlock my phone instead of going to Apple pay

Trying to remember to let the phone screen go back dark before double clicking.

First world problems

As an aside, if I am trying to send my location via Maps/iMessage, the messaging app just closes. No info is transmitted. Anyone else getting this bug?
Old Jul 23, 2016, 06:31 PM   #30
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

I depend on my phone for a lot of productivity functions. Is the email calendar and office 365 stuff working flawless on the latest beta or should I wait.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote