Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Jun 30, 2016, 11:55 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Default Sammy Note 6....nope Note 7!!!

7gb of ram!?!?!

Quote:
Google’s Daydream VR platform is also likely to feature as well. I say, likely, not certain, because Samsung has some of its own VR aspirations and this could cause some friction between itself and Google in 2017’s VR space. Still, if I were a betting man I’d wager the Note 7 will utilise Daydream; this would go a long way to explaining why it needs 7GB of RAM.

This is one handset I am VERY excited about. If only 50% of the rumours are true, it’ll still be one of the best phones in the business -- and that’s saying something with the quality of what’s already available on market at present.
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:01 PM   #2
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Close but no.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2016, 12:45 PM   #3
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

somewon is still being judged by the masses

This is the phone I've been waiting for to upgrade to from my Note 4.
I skipped the Note 5, Galaxy S6, and S7 Edge just for this.

More updated rumors have it pegged at:
821/823 processor
5.8" dual-edge screen
3600/4000 mah battery
6GB RAM
64 - 256GB of Internal Storage + Micro SD support
Iris scanner

Still no word on IR capabilities, I love this feature of my Note 4 and would hate to part with it -- but the Note 7 is still a no-brainer otherwise.
somewon is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 30, 2016, 03:09 PM   #4
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
This is the phone I've been waiting for to upgrade to from my Note 4.
I skipped the Note 5, Galaxy S6, and S7 Edge just for this.

More updated rumors have it pegged at:
821/823 processor
5.8" dual-edge screen
3600/4000 mah battery
6GB RAM
64 - 256GB of Internal Storage + Micro SD support
Iris scanner

Still no word on IR capabilities, I love this feature of my Note 4 and would hate to part with it -- but the Note 7 is still a no-brainer otherwise.
The dual edge is something we all can hope for, but initial mostly finalized version don't have the edges, but the same went for the s7e granted that was a more pre finalized version. For IR not happening. Leaks have pretty much nailed everything else but not all. However, I think many people would like the improved touchwiz. Got some nice new features that many roms use to have baked in.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2016, 02:33 PM   #5
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Why does a phone need more than 4GB of RAM?? I get that they're basically mini notebooks now but 4GB+ seems a bit excessive
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2016, 02:51 PM   #6
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTMouse View Post
Why does a phone need more than 4GB of RAM?? I get that they're basically mini notebooks now but 4GB+ seems a bit excessive
vr
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
CurrentlyPissed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 3, 2016, 03:20 AM   #7
t3hl33td4rg0n
env x='() { :;};

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by MyTMouse View Post
So they can cram more bloat. Samsung is the bloat king after all.
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 2x 128GB Samsung 830 SSD's | 4TB Hitachi | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 64GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
t3hl33td4rg0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2016, 08:38 AM   #8
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
Or, you know, VR.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 4, 2016, 12:40 PM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by t3hl33td4rg0n View Post
You sound like someone who hasn't used a Samsung device in a long while.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2016, 09:59 AM   #10
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
The dual edge is something we all can hope for, but initial mostly finalized version don't have the edges, but the same went for the s7e granted that was a more pre finalized version. For IR not happening. Leaks have pretty much nailed everything else but not all. However, I think many people would like the improved touchwiz. Got some nice new features that many roms use to have baked in.
Yep, I may actually end up using it as a launcher even rather than Nova.
We shall see.

I believe this phone will also usher in USB Type-C for Samsung, which would likely mean a new VR headset.
Old Jul 5, 2016, 03:50 PM   #11
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
Or, you know, VR.
Can't imagine it being a terribly capable VR device...it's only a phone
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 5, 2016, 05:29 PM   #12
t3hl33td4rg0n

t3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwardst3hl33td4rg0n can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zero View Post
Not since the note 4. So they got rid all the redundant apps and 2GB ROMs?
Gaming Computer: Core i7 3770k | MSI Z77 MPOWER | MSI 1080 Twin Frozr | Acer Predator X34 | 16GB G.SKILL DDR3 PC2100 | Antec DF-85 | Cooler Master Silent Gold Pro 800W | 2x 128GB Samsung 830 SSD's | 4TB Hitachi | 4TB HGST
Server: Core i5 4670 | MSI Z87 MPOWER MAX AC | eVGA GTX980 | 8GB G.SKILL DDR3 1866 | Lian-Li V2120X | Corsair RM750 750W | 64GB Samsung 830 Pro SSD | 4x 4TB WDC Red
Old Jul 5, 2016, 06:39 PM   #13
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

I don't have redundant apps. Rom size doesnt affect performance.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 5, 2016, 09:26 PM   #14
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

CurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled withCurrentlyPissed is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
My Note 5 came with a .... ton of Bloat. More than I think I've ever had on a phone.
Quote:
An arrow can only be shot by pulling it back. Remember when life is dragging you back, you are just moments away from springing forward.

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Jul 5, 2016, 11:08 PM   #15
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by CurrentlyPissed View Post
My Note 5 came with a .... ton of Bloat. More than I think I've ever had on a phone.
You talking about carrier bloat? Because my Note 5 had about as much as my S7E, maybe half a dozen S apps and some built in stuff like Dropbox. I dont consider those unnecessary or redundant.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:23 AM   #16
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I think this will be the phone to replace my LG G3...can't wait to see the reveal in March

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2016, 03:26 PM   #17
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
I think this will be the phone to replace my LG G3...can't wait to see the reveal in March
March?
August 2nd?
Old Jul 8, 2016, 11:34 PM   #18
CurrentlyPissed
Mad, not drunk.

Quote:
You talking about carrier bloat? Because my Note 5 had about as much as my S7E, maybe half a dozen S apps and some built in stuff like Dropbox. I dont consider those unnecessary or redundant.
Microsoft Word
Microsoft Excel
Microsoft PowerPoint
Microsoft OneNote
Microsoft OneDrive
Samsung Milk Music
Samsung My Files
Samsung Gear
Samsung Games
Samsung Scrapbook
Samsung Voice Recorder
Instagram
Social Pages Manager
Galaxy Apps
S Note(understandable for Note)
S Voice
Flipboard
Flipboard Briefing

Is all things that come on the phone per Samsung, and not carrier. It's too much. I don't use any of those I listed, nor can I remove them.

It's one thing to include things like Microsoft One Drive. It's another thing to make it NOT removeable. I use google drive, it's assine that I am forced to have this on my phone. Everything I listed above I also have Google (Google Sheets, etc) so I use none of the Microsoft Office things, yet I'm forced to have them on my phone. (they wont uninstall, if you uninstall then you get pinged with update notifications).
Quote:

So keep aiming.

-Interwebz
Old Jul 9, 2016, 01:51 AM   #19
t3hl33td4rg0n

Don't forget their garbage gallery app :laugh:
Old Aug 3, 2016, 09:34 PM   #20
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Glad I didn't wait for the Note 7 and got my S7 Edge. Identical hardware specs, looks like all they added was GG5 and an iris scanner. Smaller battery than the S7 Edge too.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 3, 2016, 10:51 PM   #21
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Glad I didn't wait for the Note 7 and got my S7 Edge. Identical hardware specs, looks like all they added was GG5 and an iris scanner. Smaller battery than the S7 Edge too.
Same. Can't see a reason to upgrade.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 4, 2016, 07:23 AM   #22
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

It's not an upgrade for the S7...it's an upgrade for the Note 5...what were you all expecting?

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2016, 07:30 AM   #23
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I liked my Note 5, and I like that this one is waterproof, but the upgrades don't really knock my socks off. I'm surprised they didn't put a Snapdragon 821 in it.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2016, 07:45 AM   #24
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

i still don't get "edge"-crap. I honestly haven't ever seen someone actually "using" the edges. Can someone shed a bit of light on this "gimmick"?

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2016, 08:10 AM   #25
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
i still don't get "edge"-crap. I honestly haven't ever seen someone actually "using" the edges. Can someone shed a bit of light on this "gimmick"?
Some useful information is available at a swipe. I've seen some people use it for contacts and news and scores.

Can't judge personally since I have never owned a Samsung smartphone and don't intend to anytime soon.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2016, 08:28 AM   #26
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Silent-Runner View Post
It's one of those things where, if you can work it into your routine, probably is useful, but I've found that features like that, 3D touch, etc, are hard for me to fit into my regular usage. Just me though, probably just too used to having semi-dumb smartphones
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2016, 08:41 AM   #27
somewon
Rage3D Veteran

I Pre-ordered mine and Samsung is throwing in either a new Fit or one of the new 256GB EVO+ MicroSD's for free ($249 value).

I would have gladly forked over good money for that SD card (95MB/s read, 90MB/s write, supports 4K Recording), but to have it included as part of the package is just an awesome value.
Old Aug 4, 2016, 08:49 AM   #28
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by somewon View Post
I Pre-ordered mine and Samsung is throwing in either a new Fit or one of the new 256GB EVO+ MicroSD's for free ($249 value).

I would have gladly forked over good money for that SD card (95MB/s read, 90MB/s write, supports 4K Recording), but to have it included as part of the package is just an awesome value.
That's a good deal for what looks like will be a solid phone. Nice :up
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Aug 4, 2016, 09:03 AM   #29
Zero
Sass hole

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
It's not an upgrade for the S7...it's an upgrade for the Note 5...what were you all expecting?
I bought an S7e to tide me over til the Note 7 was released. I just wanted the extra .2" and s-pen, fully expected everything else to be the same. The smaller battery killed the deal though.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Old Aug 4, 2016, 09:28 AM   #30
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
It's one of those things where, if you can work it into your routine, probably is useful, but I've found that features like that, 3D touch, etc, are hard for me to fit into my regular usage. Just me though, probably just too used to having semi-dumb smartphones
guess so I mean, it's not that big so you can really put a lot of "info" on there. But well, as you said, maybe you can get used to it somehow.

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote