Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 28, 2015, 06:28 PM   #211
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Maverick123w is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2015/09...hip-for-apple/

Seems like there are 2 different procs for the new phones. I wonder if there is a way to tell which is which from the device ID or other identifiers (serial number, perhaps?).

I am assuming the Samsung one is the one to get since it is smaller, thereby having better thermal dissipation and theoretically better battery life.
I just saw this on Twitter. Will be very interesting to see how this plays out. I'd agree on the assumption that the Samsung chip is the one to get.
Maverick123w is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2015, 08:32 AM   #212
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

So my wifes' 6s arrived yesterday. Played with it a little.
I can see Force Touch moving to Android soon. That actually is an innovation. My first thought was "how is this different from long press?" but it really is. Especially since different pressures do different things. I found some features to be a little finicky (text selection by first mid-level pressing to get cursor on screen, then hard pressing to start selection) but with practice it would certainly work. And it's entirely different from long press.
It essentially gives you a lot more modifiers available at any given moment.

That said, I did not get any phone envy using her 6s. Much prefer my LG G3. I kept trying to tap the screen to turn it on, which totally does not work. LOL

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2015, 10:22 AM   #213
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
I can see Force Touch moving to Android soon. That actually is an innovation. My first thought was "how is this different from long press?" but it really is.
I agree. I went to my local T-Mobile store last Friday and played around with it. Sadly the initial staff there was mixing up long press with a harder press until some tall really attractive early 20s female rep that really knew IOS 9 took me through a lot of it. I just could not bring myself to spend $1,000 on a 128GB 6s Plus but I wanted to. As a long time Android user she thought I might not like the more rigid IOS setup. So yes I see Force Touch moving to Android. I hope it does, even if Apple sues them.

Last edited by guest : Sep 30, 2015 at 01:16 PM.
guest is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 30, 2015, 02:02 PM   #214
Maverick123w
WhoDey

Quote:
I can see Force Touch moving to Android soon. That actually is an innovation. My first thought was "how is this different from long press?" but it really is. Especially since different pressures do different things. I found some features to be a little finicky (text selection by first mid-level pressing to get cursor on screen, then hard pressing to start selection) but with practice it would certainly work. And it's entirely different from long press.

That said, I did not get any phone envy using her 6s. Much prefer my LG G3. I kept trying to tap the screen to turn it on, which totally does not work. LOL
3D touch is great. It needs to be picked up by devs, and I'm sure it will be, but it should make the single button issue a moot point with the iPhone for the most part.

I'd like to see it proliferate through the Os more as well.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 02:35 PM   #215
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
I can see Force Touch moving to Android soon.
It was on Android first. Apple has a better implementation, especially with haptic feedback, but credit where credit is due.

As an aside, no, Apple will not have invented fast charge or wireless charging when it inevitably comes to the line in the next year or two, just like they didn't invent NFC or the metal unibody (people today are claiming HTC copied Apple, even though Apple effectively copied HTC).

Covering common sense bases here

Quote:
My first thought was "how is this different from long press?" but it really is. Especially since different pressures do different things. I found some features to be a little finicky (text selection by first mid-level pressing to get cursor on screen, then hard pressing to start selection) but with practice it would certainly work. And it's entirely different from long press.
Yep, as my other comments in the thread indicate, there is a lot of potential here and it reduces the need for Apple to have interactive widgets. At a glance, interactive widgets are superior to force touch involved interaction, but there is a happy medium and both use cases work well from a UX perspective. A combination that is natively supported (perhaps near future Nexus and Samsung devices?) would be great.

Quote:
Hah

It took me several weeks when I moved from my Nokia 920 to my Nexus 5 to stop waving my hand over the screen or double-tap to wake

I feel your pain
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2015, 02:37 PM   #216
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by guest View Post
I agree. I went to my local T-Mobile store last Friday and played around with it. Sadly the initial staff there was mixing up long press with a harder press until some tall really attractive early 20s female rep that really knew IOS 9 took me through a lot of it. I just could not bring myself to spend $1,000 on a 128GB 6s Plus but I wanted to. As a long time Android user she thought I might not like the more rigid IOS setup. So yes I see Force Touch moving to Android. I hope it does, even if Apple sues them.
I think I posted this earlier in the thread but might have been lost

In the last third of the video, you can actually see it being used and explained in very layman terms.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 04:29 PM   #217
ATi VGA Wonder

guest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete strangerguest once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:

In the last third of the video, you can actually see it being used and explained in very layman terms.
Yes I missed that. Interesting they had a demo game taking advantage of it.
Old Sep 30, 2015, 06:58 PM   #218
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:

Love that guy. I don't care, the phone does seem nice.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2015, 06:59 PM   #219
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
It was on Android first. Apple has a better implementation, especially with haptic feedback, but credit where credit is due.

As an aside, no, Apple will not have invented fast charge or wireless charging when it inevitably comes to the line in the next year or two, just like they didn't invent NFC or the metal unibody (people today are claiming HTC copied Apple, even though Apple effectively copied HTC).

Covering common sense bases here

They don't have fast charge?! I love that feature.
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 30, 2015, 07:06 PM   #220
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Apparently the new 6s and + have some extra water resistance:

http://ifixit.org/blog/7408/iphone-waterproof/

Not to the point they're actually water resistant, but they should survive a little better if they get a little wet. Perhaps the 7 will be fully waterproof. That'd be kind of awesome.
Elysian is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 3, 2015, 02:48 PM   #221
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Old Oct 3, 2015, 04:36 PM   #222
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I got the Samsung proc. Nice. So in love with this phone. Battery still on point. Off the charge at 4:30am and I'm good until I go to bed.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2015, 12:40 AM   #223
lazyx
Radeon Southern Islands

lazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
I got the Samsung proc. Nice. So in love with this phone. Battery still on point. Off the charge at 4:30am and I'm good until I go to bed.
You want the TSMC chip..

"But the two chips don’t work exactly the same. Although they benchmark with about the same power, the battery life (and excess heat) is different. According to posts on forums and some Chinese sites, phones with the TSMC processor get two hours more battery life on the Geekbench battery test, while running a few degrees cooler."

http://gizmodo.com/go-find-out-if-yo...sso-1735350889
lazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 8, 2015, 07:30 AM   #224
Maverick123w
WhoDey

I've got the TSMC chip it seems. So good I guess?
Old Oct 8, 2015, 07:56 AM   #225
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by lazyx View Post
You want the TSMC chip..

"But the two chips don’t work exactly the same. Although they benchmark with about the same power, the battery life (and excess heat) is different. According to posts on forums and some Chinese sites, phones with the TSMC processor get two hours more battery life on the Geekbench battery test, while running a few degrees cooler."

That's what I read. But taking off the charger at 4:30am and not having to worry about it until I got to bed around 10 or 11pm, I'm not complaining.
Old Oct 8, 2015, 08:31 AM   #226
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
You want the TSMC chip..

That's odd because the Samsung is the smaller and supposedly slightly more efficient of the two
Old Oct 9, 2015, 09:35 PM   #227
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maverick123w View Post
I've got the TSMC chip it seems. So good I guess?
I don't think anyone would've guess that but yes. It seems the 16nm process of TSMC is more efficient than the 14nm Samsung version of the A9 architecture.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 01:15 PM   #228
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Why didn't Samsung create a fast interface+storage for their phones first? they are the ones designing everything...pretty much. Apple managed to stick a ssd +nvme interface in their damn phones, where's Samsung...the masters of ssd tech? mind thoroughly boggled.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 01:34 PM   #229
|MaguS|
Wrong!... SNIFF

|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh|MaguS| kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
Why didn't Samsung create a fast interface+storage for their phones first? they are the ones designing everything...pretty much. Apple managed to stick a ssd +nvme interface in their damn phones, where's Samsung...the masters of ssd tech? mind thoroughly boggled.
I'm sure that Samsung is using UFS2.0 memory in their handsets... Internal write and read speeds of the S6 kill any other Android handset by a large margin.
Old Oct 10, 2015, 07:25 PM   #230
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Why didn't Samsung create a fast interface+storage for their phones first?
They did.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 01:43 PM   #231
lazyx
Radeon Southern Islands

lazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Fail...
lazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2015, 06:40 PM   #232
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

No freudian slip there.
Old Oct 13, 2015, 06:50 PM   #233
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:

Fail...
How do they cock that up?
Old Oct 13, 2015, 07:54 PM   #234
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

and the battery life is in the range of a month. Which sounds fine, except I get months on end with bone standard AA's.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(Yes, darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2015, 08:18 PM   #235
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
and the battery life is in the range of a month. Which sounds fine, except I get months on end with bone standard AA's.
Yeah but you get 9 hours of use if you can spend 15 minutes without using it. Apple is trying to give you breaks from the computer, they're so thoughtful.
Old Oct 20, 2015, 05:24 AM   #236
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

lol how did that pass testing

I would really like an explanation of how they thought there

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 22, 2015, 06:46 AM   #237
ATi VGA Wonder

Quote:
Yes this is amazing and no android phone even comes close. No more trim issues etc. In this case performance increases with capacity so the 128GB model is much faster than the 16 GB model. I think I'll get an iPhone but I missed the T-Mobile deal on it.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 08:32 AM   #238
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Quote:
Yes this is amazing and no android phone even comes close. No more trim issues etc. In this case performance increases with capacity so the 128GB model is much faster than the 16 GB model. I think I'll get an iPhone but I missed the T-Mobile deal on it.

The main t-mobile deal was for the 16gb version. The other ones were only a deal if you already had a iphone or other high end android device (note, S6, G line, etc). However, I do think those got tweaked back to normal last week.

The g/f's rose gold 64gb showed up today, pretty slick. That android to ios app that apple put out works perfectly. This was her first time using her fingerprint as a password for stuff, seeing the expression on her face with that quality of life improvement was priceless.
Old Oct 22, 2015, 08:40 PM   #239
ATi VGA Wonder

Got the 128GB 6S Plus, very nice phone.
Old Oct 23, 2015, 08:28 AM   #240
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Got the 128GB 6S Plus, very nice phone.
The phone is soooo much better than the 6 Plus. S version never let me down. Too bad I'm on a 4 year cycle these days.