Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Smartphones, Tablets and Handheld Computing From Android, Symbian to Apple devices, this is the place for discussion and debate, whether it's smartphones, tablets or even gaming handhelds.

Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:00 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

It is an interesting way to get widget like options without having to develop options.

Genuinely curious how it works with developers having some time to leverage things.
Sazar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 03:18 AM   #122
Silent-Runner
nulli secundus

Silent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English ChannelSilent-Runner once jumped the English Channel

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sazar View Post

Is that... is that real?
it's made that way so you can stick it up yer bunghole easier

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬

"Another definition of a hero is someone who is concerned about other people's well-being, and will go out of his or her way to help them -- even if there is no chance of a reward. That person who helps others simply because it should or must be done, and because it is the right thing to do, is indeed without a doubt, a real superhero."

▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Silent-Runner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 07:32 AM   #123
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
3D Touch is a game changer.
I foresee it being confusing, especially because different softwares will implement it in different ways. I have a hard enough time figuring out where I can long press.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 10, 2015, 07:33 AM   #124
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycdarkness View Post
It's not a game changer and in no way something new. It's however a refinement of what's been done before.

I remember my bb had a clickable screen forgot the model name, and old android builds had the hold down for more context options. Honestly, they didn't even need a new screen for it. Holding down for more options would generate the same effect as holding and pressing harder. Essentially a screen right click. While it looks not too shabby in practice from what I've seen on video, unless it's widely implemented and done well it will just fade off again in the future. I've always wondered why holding for contextual options has dissappeared from android over the years (ease of use I suppose) apple is bringing it back with some gimmicky pressure sensitive screen. Hell samsung could add a bunch of pressure sensitive software gimmicks in no time on the note series if they wanted. Let the beta test begin for 6s purchasers.
I long press all the time in Android. Copy/paste? Long press. Need more options on a menu item? Long press. What to know more about something? Long press. There's still a lot of long press in Android.

And yes, my Note has 3D press, for the stylus, and it works great for drawing but there's no need for it much else. Perhaps I feel that way because Android has 3 dedicated navigation buttons, not just one.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 08:40 AM   #125
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
It's not a game changer and in no way something new. It's however a refinement of what's been done before.

I remember my bb had a clickable screen forgot the model name, and old android builds had the hold down for more context options. Honestly, they didn't even need a new screen for it. Holding down for more options would generate the same effect as holding and pressing harder. Essentially a screen right click. While it looks not too shabby in practice from what I've seen on video, unless it's widely implemented and done well it will just fade off again in the future. I've always wondered why holding for contextual options has dissappeared from android over the years (ease of use I suppose) apple is bringing it back with some gimmicky pressure sensitive screen. Hell samsung could add a bunch of pressure sensitive software gimmicks in no time on the note series if they wanted. Let the beta test begin for 6s purchasers.
Well it's certainly a better way to have a "widget" instead of having to install something or remember you installed it. It just comes built in. Apple might take forever to implement something but at least when they do, it's pretty simple execution. Peek and Pop is pretty neat from what I see in the videos.
Razeus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 08:47 AM   #126
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razeus View Post
Well it's certainly a better way to have a "widget" instead of having to install something or remember you installed it. It just comes built in. Apple might take forever to implement something but at least when they do, it's pretty simple execution. Peek and Pop is pretty neat from what I see in the videos.
I wasn't talking about widgets. Long press for menu or other options have been around for quite some time. This is another form of delayed response. Everyone presses differently, to generally calibrate it would be difficult. Judging from the videos I have seen, its more of a delayed press than anything else. Something that devs could add to just about any app for any phone. I am going to get the 6s anyway, but I am more interested in the camera than the pressing.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:23 AM   #127
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

The idea behind 3d touch is that you can press in a different manner instead of having to move your fingers to different points around the screen to navigate through menus and back buttons. Long press has already been done, I can't say with 100% certainty that it will continue to exist with 3d touch or if it will be disabled on 3d touch enabled devices, but my sense is that long press will live on.
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:42 AM   #128
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
The idea behind 3d touch is that you can press in a different manner instead of having to move your fingers to different points around the screen to navigate through menus and back buttons. Long press has already been done, I can't say with 100% certainty that it will continue to exist with 3d touch or if it will be disabled on 3d touch enabled devices, but my sense is that long press will live on.
I get the idea but like I said, pressing the screen with different amounts of pressure is gimmicky. To apply more pressure already requires a longer press, so what's the diff. Maybe i need to experience it first, but from what I can tell the pressure part is not even needed.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:49 AM   #129
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
I get the idea but like I said, pressing the screen with different amounts of pressure is gimmicky. To apply more pressure already requires a longer press, so what's the diff. Maybe i need to experience it first, but from what I can tell the pressure part is not even needed.
Apple claims its faster than a long press. So probably a quick firm press would trigger it.

Either way I dont upgrade phones every iteration only on contract years. So iPhone 7 it is for me.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:51 AM   #130
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
It seems like it'd be really error-prone, you'll never touch at the same pressure twice in a row, it'd basically have to only be soft touch vs hard touch, with no in between, which at that point, why not just long press?
Old Sep 10, 2015, 11:51 AM   #131
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Apple claims its faster than a long press. So probably a quick firm press would trigger it.

Either way I dont upgrade phones every iteration only on contract years. So iPhone 7 it is for me.
I turn down the long press in Swiftkey, that's faster than a long press
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:02 PM   #132
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Razeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundRazeus can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
If Apps use this right, you effectively don't need to build menus into your app's UI. If you need to change a setting, a long press would bring up the settings option.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:03 PM   #133
Razeus
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
It seems like it'd be really error-prone, you'll never touch at the same pressure twice in a row, it'd basically have to only be soft touch vs hard touch, with no in between, which at that point, why not just long press?
I'm reading that Apple has been working for a few years on this and they feel they've got the right mojo to make it into the product.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:14 PM   #134
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:17 PM   #135
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
This. That's the idea, anyway. As I mentioned earlier, having to navigate through menus and hitting back buttons and the like in theory takes longer than just pressing harder should.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 12:31 PM   #136
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

I just realized that the thread was titled The Official Fall 2015 Apple Event Thread.
I've totally been reading it as "The Official Fail 2015 Apple Event Thread" ...

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 01:08 PM   #137
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Old Sep 10, 2015, 02:12 PM   #138
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Just gonna put that there. Again.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 02:26 PM   #139
lazyx
Radeon Southern Islands

lazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete strangerlazyx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
I just realized that the thread was titled The Official Fall 2015 Apple Event Thread.
I've totally been reading it as "The Official Fail 2015 Apple Event Thread" ...
hahah me too, this event was more of the same products . That should've been release a year or 2 ago.

Apple TV would've been a great device 2 years ago. With roku and new amazon fire TV both rumor to do 4k. Apple TV an already outdated hardware.

Ipad pro = not so pro, it's just an Ipad XL.
lazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 10, 2015, 04:02 PM   #140
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Sazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSazar is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Which is why you have that taptic feedback engine.

I get why they put all of this together, plus the pressure influenced swipes for various gestures.

There are no widgets on the home screen, and there is no back button. This allows another way to address both those things, if implemented and taken advantage of.

Think of it this way, when you tap on something, it opens an app or interacts. When you long press, you have other options (move, for example, access to wallpapers, widgets, etc.). Now, you the option of top to click, medium pressure for something else, harder pressure for something else entirely (all things that provide touch feedback via taptic) but you don't have to long-press, you can just tap.

Not having to long press can potentially save time for some folks.

Since the majority of people have no idea how to properly use smart phones, or gadgets in general, I don't anticipate everyone will actually use the features the right way, but many will. And for those folks, this could be useful IF taken up and implemented in a useful manner by devs.

Is it new? No, it is iterative. But then almost everything we see on phones/gadgets these days is iterative. And that's not necessarily a bad thing
Old Sep 10, 2015, 04:03 PM   #141
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
This. That's the idea, anyway. As I mentioned earlier, having to navigate through menus and hitting back buttons and the like in theory takes longer than just pressing harder should.
Depends entirely on implementation. Conceptually it is a decent idea.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 04:34 PM   #142
AdelphiaX
Radeon Caribbean Islands

AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'AdelphiaX once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Not yet. It will be 2GB though, guaranteed. iPad pro is probably 4GB as well.
Quote:
I highly doubt that. It's okay, you're new to Apple
Quote:
Quote:
Just gonna put that there. Again.

He has a hard time coming to terms when he's wrong.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 05:36 PM   #143
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Some interesting tid-bits: http://9to5mac.com/2015/09/10/10-thi...o-ipad-mini-4/

ATV appears to have 2GB also.
Old Sep 10, 2015, 05:51 PM   #144
Java Cool Dude
With my family

Java Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled with

I was looking forward to a regular sized iPad upgrade from my current 3rd generation, I find the Pro version too big =-/
Java Cool Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 11, 2015, 01:26 AM   #145
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Video of phone in action with the touch features.

Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:11 PM   #146
Payne3d
[Fancy a Butcher's?]

Payne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird singsPayne3d knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
I foresee it being confusing, especially because different softwares will implement it in different ways. I have a hard enough time figuring out where I can long press.
confusing, if this tech was slapped on a random android phone where software and hardware live different lives. This is Apple.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 12:53 PM   #147
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by Payne3d View Post
confusing, if this tech was slapped on a random android phone where software and hardware live different lives. This is Apple.
Coming from Android and Windows/Linux, I find all of Apple's interfaces confusing, non-intuitive.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 01:40 PM   #148
Sazar
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Coming from Android and Windows/Linux, I find all of Apple's interfaces confusing, non-intuitive.
Once you spend 2-4 weeks with something, it all makes sense.

I don't like some design decisions, I like others. Same is true for pretty much everyone except for the zealots.

I am not a fan of OSX compared to most any other OS, for example, but it also has some good stuff too.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 02:44 PM   #149
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Must not have spent any signficant time with a modern version of iOS or OSX then... I operate in all the named platforms on a regular basis and the workflow on Apple's UIs is the easiest to use at a low level and also to master. Multi-touch gestures + virtual desktops on OSX is a better multi-tasking experience than anything available on any Windows system. iOS has one simple, distinct advantage over Android and that is the presence of a physical home button - a novice user always knows where to go to get back to the familiar home screen and get out of any confusing scenario.

It's ok though, you've been known to be wrong on Apple before
Old Sep 11, 2015, 02:57 PM   #150
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Must not have spent any signficant time with a modern version of iOS or OSX then... I operate in all the named platforms on a regular basis and the workflow on Apple's UIs is the easiest to use at a low level and also to master. Multi-touch gestures + virtual desktops on OSX is a better multi-tasking experience than anything available on any Windows system. iOS has one simple, distinct advantage over Android and that is the presence of a physical home button - a novice user always knows where to go to get back to the familiar home screen and get out of any confusing scenario.

It's ok though, you've been known to be wrong on Apple before
The disadvantage of iOS is also the one physical home button, with no other navigation buttons.

Android has dedicated on-screen navigation buttons per the Android standard, and on many phones dedicated physical buttons. Not really sure how you call that an advantage for iOS.

I'm not sure you want to pecker measure on who is wrong more often