Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Legacy ATI Discussion and Technical Support » AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AIW / Multimedia Discussion and Technical Support Discussion and support forum for all of the All-In-Wonder Radeon cards, the TV-Wonder, Remote Wonder I and II, the new HDTV Wonder, and basically anything with VIVO support.

Old Apr 9, 2004, 05:58 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
SciDoctor
Radeon Northern Islands

SciDoctor is still being judged by the masses

Default What I Like About ATI MMC Apps

This thread is purely for voicing/discusing the aspects of the ATI MMC app that you like .

There are plenty of threads on the forum where you can discuss/moan about problems so I will delete any unecessary posts that go beyond the premise of the thread.

Give the guys and gals at ATI a boost by showing your apreciation of what is good and there are a lot of good aspects to the MMC application.

Last edited by SciDoctor : Apr 22, 2004 at 03:24 PM.
SciDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 06:09 PM   #2
SciDoctor
Radeon Northern Islands

SciDoctor is still being judged by the masses

One of the new additions to the MMC suite is the extended 'Export' function that is within the Library app .

This allows the 'exporting ' of mpeg and avi files/recordings to a selection of formats mpeg 1 , 2 , 4 and of size/resolution ready for burning to disk

The coding of this looks good as it is also smp aware and a one and half hour avi file of mp4/divx encoding took twenty minutes to convert to the DVD\compliant mpeg2 file ready for burning on my dual amd cpu machine , i would also expect this to improve performance on a HT enabled cpu .

80% cpu usage on a dual cpu machine is quite good , hopefuly further improvements will occur as this matures with future MMC releases.

Last edited by SciDoctor : Apr 9, 2004 at 06:12 PM.
SciDoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 9, 2004, 10:21 PM   #3
SGtheArtist
Radeon R100

SGtheArtist is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Once you get the hardware and software combination worked out, I like pausing live TV & Radio

Too Cool.
SGtheArtist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 9, 2004, 11:36 PM   #4
fanbanlo
Radeon Evergreen

fanbanlo is still being judged by the masses

I like ATI's innovative funcitons. EAZYLOOK was what drivin me to get Remote Wonder (and now with EAZYLAUNCH). THRUVIEW was what drivin me to get Radeon as primary video card. I hope they will keep on surprising users like me with nice and new feature. Best of all, MMC is FREE after years I've purchased my TV Wonder~ I'd say, MMC 8.6+ made me happy. Still remember the MMC 7 days when we used to have scrambled image in XP....
Old Apr 10, 2004, 08:18 PM   #5
antdude
An RadeANT!

antdude is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

I like the caption recording. Useful when partially deaf or can't hear well. Even recording caption to a text file for reference! None of the third party programs have this feature.
Old Apr 12, 2004, 07:38 AM   #6
JCLW
Radeon R600

JCLW is still being judged by the masses

Easylook.
JCLW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 11:30 AM   #7
JT
Radeon R300

JT is still being judged by the masses

I like that I can "pause" durring my vid-caps with MMC (it saves me alot of editing time).
JT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 05:31 PM   #8
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

rbV5 is still being judged by the masses

MMC is the best supporting piece of software for a hardware product that I've ever owned. I can't think of another piece of hardware that I've purchased over the years that came eqipped by a free software package as powerfull and featured as MMC, and continues to be updated on a continal basis.

While other 3rd party packages may offer superior performance in one area or another, none offer as extensive a feature set that fully supports the AIW cards for any price. (not to say there is not much work to be done however)

Nice job ATI, and keep up the good work.
Gaming PC: XP MCE 2005:ATI X1800XT 512MB(x2):ASUS A8R-MVP:Sapphire Theatrix 550pro:ATI HDTV Wonder:AMD64 X2 [email protected]:2GB 3200 A-DATA Ram:NEC 3550a DVD burner:160GB Seagate SATA:200GB WD IDE:60GB Maxtor IDE:22" Mitsubishi CRT:17" analog Rosewill LCD:55" Philips RPTV:Logitech MX1000:Logitech z560:Sennheiser HD 212pro

Bedroom PC: XP MCE 2005:ATI X1800XL:MSI MS-7093 RS480M2:ATI eHome Wonder:ATI HDTV Wonder:1GB Kingmax PC3200 DDR:NEC 1300A DVD Burner:Viewsonic N2750w 27" LCD:Seagate 200.0 GB SATA:Logitech MX1000:Logitech X-530
rbV5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 12, 2004, 07:42 PM   #9
Abadd
Radeon R200

Abadd is still being judged by the masses

Video Desktop....Love it....
Abadd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 07:37 AM   #10
sCoTcH
Radeon Evergreen

sCoTcH is still being judged by the masses

ATi's Multimedia Center suite will never stop surprising me with it's extensive feature list that continually grows every release.

It has the functionality of software that costs $$$$ for free, and goes beyond that, because MMC is leader in innovations.

TV, DVD, File player, Radio, CD-player, Easylook, Thruview, Multview, Videosoap, all make ATi's MMC the most feature-rich sowftware suite on the market.

There is no other software that takes better advantage of ATi's Hardware than MMC.

sCoTcH's rating: Kickass
9.5/10!!! (because nothing is perfect)
sCoTcH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 13, 2004, 11:38 PM   #11
alaindc
Radeon R300

alaindc is still being judged by the masses

i like the file player, but the best feature is the theater mode(superposition option), with this, i can see any videos full screen on my tv, and doing anything at the same time, on my monitor, at any resolution.

recording on many format with my tv wonder is a good thing(when it doesn't make the cpu reboot). is the software more stable with an AIW card? and is the picture quality better? i may buy and AIW card, if it's better(aiw 9700-9800)...or only a 9700-9800 if not...
powercolor X800 GTO
Hauppage PVR-150
Acer 19" LCD monitor + Toshiba HDTV
Vista Ultimate + Catalyst 7.7
alaindc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 14, 2004, 02:28 PM   #12
Spotnik
Radeon R100

Spotnik is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

It's a minor detail, but the thing that gets the "WOW" out of our friends who see this thing is how the TV capture becomes the wallpaper when you minimize it. I still get a kick out of that, but then I'm easily amused. But then, nearly everything about the AIW was a quantum leap from the generic display adapters we've used in the past.
Windows XP SP2
Spotnik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 16, 2004, 05:04 PM   #13
SHO_Maniac

SHO_Maniac is still being judged by the masses

I bought my AIW 9000 for a Media Centre. Never having owned an ATI I did a ton of research before I parted with my money. I'm very happy with the whole package and I can't believe the functionality built into one video card. I am particularily happy with the PVR and Remote capbilities. I use a handful of different players and I can control everything with the RW in one hand a rum and coke in the other. I'm really glad my buddy talked me into making a PC to do this, I was ready to buy a proprietary device for audio and video. The AIW package is way more functional.
SHO_Maniac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 10:33 AM   #14
Fa310tx
Radeon R200

Fa310tx is still being judged by the masses

I think, for a beginner, mmc is a great setup. The tv player has always worked quite well for me. I still use it for watching tv. The dvd player also worked great for me. I've since moved to other programs, though. Easylook is nice, especially when you're on a widescreen display and want to watch tv using the full screen. Everything works well with the remote, too.
Overall, it's a great set of apps. Is it the best? No way. It may not even be viewed as good in comparison to some other things. But, it is very functional and it's free, given that you have current generation hardware.
All in all, I'd give it an 8 or a 9.
JJ
Fa310tx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 2, 2004, 04:00 PM   #15
Bschuler
Radeon R300

Bschuler is still being judged by the masses

Well, having owned an All In Wonder ever since the first one.. I always loved MMC and what it did. All my friends were shocked at how easy I could take a VCR tape and turn it into something digital. Or watch TV while finishing up work or while chatting. And now the addition of FM, it truely is the best multimedia card out there. I love the guide plus and the little things, like the blended view. The best though, is the fact that it will let you encode in any codec installed.. that is a huge plus in my book.

I just wish they would release a PCI or USB Tv wonder w/FM radio. I think there is a huge market out there for it.
Old May 2, 2004, 04:29 PM   #16
Fa310tx
Radeon R200

Bschuler...
How do you choose a codec to encode with? I have divx installed, but I thought you had to use the ones provided.
JJ
Old May 2, 2004, 09:35 PM   #17
Agustus
Rage3D Veteran

Agustus is still being judged by the masses

What I like most about MMC apps in general:

That I can thoroughly immerse myself in EAZYLOOK mode and shift seamlessly between apps with the remote,….. you can almost forget that you are using a PC!

I’m hooked, and if I buy an X800 Pro in the future to replace my current ATI AIW 9800 Pro,……well, lets just say that that X800 Pro had better be an AIW version too,….

BTW, from time to time you may come across a bug but I have never come across something that I couldn’t work with or work around if not out right fix. MMC is outstanding!!!
Agustus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 3, 2004, 11:47 PM   #18
Bschuler
Radeon R300

Bschuler is still being judged by the masses

Fa310tx, you most likely have just the divx decoder.. not the encoder. You need the divx encoder codec... and then it will just show up. Be careful when installing encoders though.. as some non-good ones will crash MMC.
Old May 4, 2004, 08:48 AM   #19
Fa310tx
Radeon R200

Currently, I do just have the decoder, although I have had Dr. Divx (includes incoder) on the computer at various times. When I run through the scheduler it says dvd, home theater, some third thing, and vcd. Is there a different place that I should be looking? During install, I choose mpeg-4 as default, instead of dvd or vcr. When I use home theater, it outputs as an avi (I presume mpeg-4) but a half hour show is almost 700mb. Divx would be like 200mb, I would think.
JJ
Old May 11, 2004, 01:01 PM   #20
rbV5
Crossfire enabled

rbV5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
When I run through the scheduler it says dvd, home theater, some third thing, and vcd. Is there a different place that I should be looking?
This getting off-topic, but to answer your question, the scheduler uses the presets you have setup with the PVR. Go into the PVR and pick a preset you won't use, then "map preset" and pick an AVI file type and click OK to set it as a selection. Then select it again, pick map preset and edit the preset with the codec and settings you want to use.
Gaming PC: XP MCE 2005:ATI X1800XT 512MB(x2):ASUS A8R-MVP:Sapphire Theatrix 550pro:ATI HDTV Wonder:AMD64 X2 [email protected]:2GB 3200 A-DATA Ram:NEC 3550a DVD burner:160GB Seagate SATA:200GB WD IDE:60GB Maxtor IDE:22" Mitsubishi CRT:17" analog Rosewill LCD:55" Philips RPTV:Logitech MX1000:Logitech z560:Sennheiser HD 212pro

Bedroom PC: XP MCE 2005:ATI X1800XL:MSI MS-7093 RS480M2:ATI eHome Wonder:ATI HDTV Wonder:1GB Kingmax PC3200 DDR:NEC 1300A DVD Burner:Viewsonic N2750w 27" LCD:Seagate 200.0 GB SATA:Logitech MX1000:Logitech X-530
rbV5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 16, 2004, 12:09 PM   #21
PGHammer
This Olde (AGP) PC

PGHammer is still being judged by the masses

Exclamation MMC Killer Features

Quote:
Originally posted by Fa310tx
I think, for a beginner, mmc is a great setup. The tv player has always worked quite well for me. I still use it for watching tv. The dvd player also worked great for me. I've since moved to other programs, though. Easylook is nice, especially when you're on a widescreen display and want to watch tv using the full screen. Everything works well with the remote, too.
Overall, it's a great set of apps. Is it the best? No way. It may not even be viewed as good in comparison to some other things. But, it is very functional and it's free, given that you have current generation hardware.
All in all, I'd give it an 8 or a 9.
JJ
MMC is *still* my application of choice for TV viewing (primarily because of Video Desktop, which is now *standard* on minimize), but there are *other* killer new(er) features:

1. HD Format (all applications): Now there is 16:9 across MMC (including TV and File Player). This gives you an idea what upscaled SD will actually look like without having to spend serious money on an HD set (as the picture will be *scaled to suit the screen* just like the SD Scale-Up feature in HD-ready TVs does).

2. Export to MPEG-4 (TV): In very few other applications for *any* price; MMC includes it free (8.9 and 9.0). Add a codec swapper (several are available) and you can export MPEG-4 files to *anything*.

3. *See-through* applications (now across MMC): Watch a DVD while Web surfing? You can with the *alpha-blending* feature, now in all MMC applications. That's a *kissing cousin* to:

4. ATI-TV Launcher in IE (any version of MMC and IE 5 or newer): Watch TV *in* your browser. Literally. If you like Interactive TV, *this* is likely why.

Of course, there is *still* Video Desktop, which is loads better than faux-3D desktop applets. You can have whatever is playing on TV as your wallpaper (from NBC to *MSNBC*, from ABC to ESPN, from *Enterprise* to *Sliders*).
2 GB DDR2-800 (1 GB Corsair CL5 x2)
200 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax SATA
ATI Radeon HD 3450 PCIe
ATI HDTV Wonder (still going strong)
Sound Blaster X-Fi XtremeGamer
Windows Vista Ultimate x64
Windows 7 x64
openSuSE 11.1
PGHammer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 25, 2004, 05:08 PM   #22
ArchAngelRay
Radeon R200

ArchAngelRay is still being judged by the masses

Default Re: What I Like About ATI MMC Apps

Quote:
Originally posted by SciDoctor
This thread is purely for voicing/discusing the aspects of the ATI MMC app that you like .

There are plenty of threads on the forum where you can discuss/moan about problems so I will delete any unecessary posts that go beyond the premise of the thread.

Give the guys and gals at ATI a boost by showing your apreciation of what is good and there are a lot of good aspects to the MMC application.

1. it comes with the AIW

2. it's free

3. it allows for playback of the TV and DVD without extra software.

4. it's free and allows for playback of TV and DVD other than that nothing! (oh I mentioned these already, sorry..lol)

5. I do like the dock thing too bad you can't change it to "small" mode while it's docked and hidden. I don't like that it takes the full length of a side of the screen to keep it docked and hidden. If when we were to move it to one of the sides, it would automatically go into "small" mode, (ie, left or right side,) then that at least would be a start. Windows XP doesn't allow for multiple "docks" to be hidden at the same time on a side, (top, bottom, left, right,) and if I use another dock on a side then I can't hide this one, which sux, but it would be nice if I can at least make it smaller, I don't need to see what the names of each program are every time I see it, the pics do a nice enough job of letting me know already. Since you can set the "main" settings from it, too bad you can't set the individual settings from it as well.

6. Outside of that Nothing.

[edited 5/30/04]

Last edited by ArchAngelRay : May 30, 2004 at 05:45 PM.
ArchAngelRay is offline   Reply With Quote