Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Apr 19, 2019, 08:44 AM   #361
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
This is easily becoming my new favorite From Software game.

I just much prefer the new combat and stealth mechanics over what's in the other games, and I like the set protagonist better too.
After Nioh, and then this I find I like the set protagonist as well.

I think what partly dulled it for me is that the deflect/strike system FS built for this game is fairly similar to Nioh's block/parry/strike system. They aren't the same, but enough to make Sekiro's not really have that "new" feel. That's exacerbated after my last Nioh playthrough using a katana only. There's no shield in Nioh either. I jumped back in with my katana build a couple of days ago and Sekiro's combat can be mimicked to quite an extent.

If I had never played that game then this would have felt much newer and fresher to me, although Sekiro's audio is head and shoulders above Nioh's in combat.

That's not a commentary on Sekiro's combat btw, just an observation as to why it didn't really grab me.

I won't comment on the rest until you're finished with the game, but I think you'll agree with some of my comments, although you may not ding the game the same amount of points for it as me.
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:08 AM   #362
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

OK. I'm not sure how much more of the game I've got left. The Corrupted Monk was the last boss i fought and I'm slowly working my way through Fountainhead right now.

I usually put in most of my gaming on the weekends but this weekend I'm going to be busy so not sure how much I'll get to play.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2019, 10:33 AM   #363
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
OK. I'm not sure how much more of the game I've got left. The Corrupted Monk was the last boss i fought and I'm slowly working my way through Fountainhead right now.

I usually put in most of my gaming on the weekends but this weekend I'm going to be busy so not sure how much I'll get to play.
Did you get Tomoe's Note and the Father's bell charm from Emma? Numbers of bosses left that I can think of major and mini, with one of those surprisingly well hidden.

If you got the items, you have 7 bosses left

If not you have 4

Depending on how slowly you clear with exploration and all, you still have a good 3 hours or so left
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 19, 2019, 11:38 AM   #364
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Did you get Tomoe's Note and the Father's bell charm from Emma? Numbers of bosses left that I can think of major and mini, with one of those surprisingly well hidden.

If you got the items, you have 7 bosses left

If not you have 4

Depending on how slowly you clear with exploration and all, you still have a good 3 hours or so left
I think I got Tomoe's Note but don't think I got the Father's Bell charm yet. Will have to talk to Emma more and see if I exhausted all dialogue. If I missed it, no worries. I will progress through the game normally and research whatever I missed after I finish it.
Old Apr 20, 2019, 04:24 PM   #365
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Sekiro seems to be throwing coin purses at you in ng+, too bad that you basically have no need for money at this point.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2019, 04:50 PM   #366
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

spent two hours on the first chained ogre last night.
two hours.
and couldn't get passed him, regardless of all the advice.

I can't seem to avoid playing sloppy.
I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to abandon this for the sake of my mental sanity. What a shame
Lurk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2019, 09:53 PM   #367
SD-[Inc]
Butt-hurt Liberal

SD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySD-[Inc] can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurk View Post
two hours.

I have a bad feeling I'm going to have to abandon this for the sake of my mental sanity. What a shame
I been there too. It's just a matter of realizing death has a purpose. You need to learn something about the way the enemy attacks when you die. Watch what he does and try and learn by dying. I still suck after playing for 40 hours. But, it is rewarding figuring things out and progressing. It just can be painfully slow. That red-eyed fooker must have thrown me nearly off the map on one of his awful grabbing moves. If you get the fire prosthetic it can help. If you can't accept that dying is often the only way to learn this game, then you won't like it.
SD-[Inc] is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2019, 11:36 PM   #368
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Beat the Divine Dragon . That boss fight felt like a Zelda boss for sure, something from Twilight Princess. I liked it, but bit on the easy side for a late game boss. I'm getting the hang of the lightning reversal now too.

And WTF is up with that giant carp . There's obviously a trick to it. I will figure it out.
Quote:
two hours.

If its more frustration than fun, don't force yourself to play. Nothing wrong with that.

But, if you haven't yet I'd suggest going to YouTube and searching for some videos of others playing. Maybe learn some strategy you haven't tried that might help give you an edge?

There isn't really a trick for that guy though, aside from using fire. You just have to fight him like you'd fight a real huge guy. Take a couple shots and back the hell away. Don't get greedy, and don't let him get close to grab you. It's ultimately an endurance race.

I think there is a way to sneak up and get a stealth deathblow on him which could be a big help. I saw a speedrunner do it.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 11:14 AM   #369
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
two hours.

Combat is designed to punish greed and reward patience in this game Lurk. There are several bosses throughout that give you the room to just bait attacks, dodge, run in circles around and learn their patterns. Take your time, no more than two swings and run away, just like dragon slayer armor. You try to tank him and you're done.

For what it's worth, even though he's an early boss, he's a tough one. But if you can learn to keep away, deflect and dodge as needed, you'll be much better at what comes after.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 12:36 PM   #370
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

The ogre is an odd enemy for this game.

At first glance he seems like he's put there to be a gated skill test early on to assure players they are prepared for what lies ahead. But the way you fight him is unique compared to pretty much all other enemy types. The game teaches you to fight aggressively and deflect often to build up enemy posture meter, but that guy you fight more defensively like a Dark Souls boss.
Old Apr 21, 2019, 01:10 PM   #371
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Lurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLurk can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

finally owned the guy last night.
I was aware of the first stealth attack, and that's what I did... 100 times

As for fire, ran out of oil pretty soon, although now that I think about it, maybe the prosthetic alone was enough

mind you, I don't think I will ever go over experience level 1, although I'm not quite sure how the mechanism works at this point.

Nedless to say, game and settings are pure dope, gonna be hard to just forget about it should total frustration ensue.
I hope you guys will stick around, because if I progress, it'll rain questions
Old Apr 21, 2019, 03:26 PM   #372
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
finally owned the guy last night.
I was aware of the first stealth attack, and that's what I did... 100 times

As for fire, ran out of oil pretty soon, although now that I think about it, maybe the prosthetic alone was enough

mind you, I don't think I will ever go over experience level 1, although I'm not quite sure how the mechanism works at this point.

Nedless to say, game and settings are pure dope, gonna be hard to just forget about it should total frustration ensue.
I hope you guys will stick around, because if I progress, it'll rain questions
Congrats on beating the ogre! Its all downhill from here.

The skill points mechanic? You gain XP from killing any enemies, but if you die you lose half of your current XP bar. But if you gain a skill point, you cannot lose it. You can only lose half of your XP working towards the NEXT point.

The vitality and posture you'll level up from acquiring prayer beads. Takes 4 to level up. You'll get those from mini-bosses and rare finds in the environment.

Attack power you'll level up from beating proper bosses, which you have not faced yet.

And yeah, I'll always be around in this thread to give advice.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 04:47 AM   #373
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Thanks M_o_W for the precious insight regarding the leveling mechanism!

For me it gives the game a new meaning and it's an incentive to improve my playstyle.

Any advice for Gyoubu Oniwa without too many spoilers?

Sent from my LLD-L31 using Tapatalk
Old Apr 22, 2019, 08:35 AM   #374
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Firecrackers.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 08:56 AM   #375
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Yes Firecrackers are his weakness because of the horse.

Also, make use of the grappling point on him when it shows up to close the range he gets to. Aside from that, just try to time his spear attacks to deflect and build up his posture meter. Just stay focused and calm, he's not as tough as he seems.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 11:52 AM   #376
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Gyoubu was one of the most fun fights in the whole game for me. Super easy, but I loved how they set the whole thing up. Ended way to fast.

Patch 1.03 is out, and someone made a mod that allows you to apply elemental damage to the katana via flasks.

I've beaten the game twice now, nothing to prove, so I'm going to check that one out.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:09 PM   #377
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Quote:
Just stay focused and calm,...
Gotta love this sentence, it just shows how powerful the game is! : D

Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:23 PM   #378
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Interesting, patch is finally out.

I don't care too much about the nerf/buff changes as I'm not one to whine on the internet when the developer changes the game. I subscribe to the idea they know better than I do.

I do care very much about the improved stability and performance however. I got a bit ticked off a handful of times already with the crashes to the desktop I was getting. That just always sucks. But still, is to be expected when trying to play a new game which is why I'll only buy games at release that I highly anticipated. From Software games are always in that category.
Old Apr 22, 2019, 12:25 PM   #379
Lazy8s
One day at a time

edit: nvm
Old Apr 22, 2019, 04:30 PM   #380
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

Have you noticed changes in performance?
Even when fighting the first chained ogre I noticed the camera behaving wonky a couple of times.

Also, what res and settings are you playing on?
I tried max settings at 3200x1800 up until the ogre. Game was smooth, but I chickened out and dropped down to 2560x1440 because I was afraid that frame rate in intense combat situations could drop and make my mediocre fighting technique even worse.

Old Apr 22, 2019, 08:24 PM   #381
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

I'm just playing at the default settings and my native res. I don't bother messing with settings anymore, most games auto detect optimal settings anyways.

Patch just released and I haven't played in a couple days. Just no time lately. Can't play everyday. Performance was great before, just hoping they fixed the crashing for me.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 02:02 AM   #382
Lurk
Going Nowhere Fast

I'm kind of a whore for pretty graphics, so I try to achieve the best looking image possible without sacrificing smooth gameplay. This game looks awesome in motion, it's like moving inside a live Japanese painting.

Old Apr 23, 2019, 07:59 AM   #383
Danny Nissan
high quality troll

Danny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDanny Nissan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I only just finished the game and dared to enter this thread. Great game overall. Really enjoyed the cutscenes and story, being a set character helped me care more rather than always being a random zombie as per the souls games I'm not the biggest fan of the combat in this one, I have to admit. I might do NG+ to persue other endings before an uninstall.
ASUS PG279Q | ASUS Strix GTX 1080 Ti OC 2025MHz/12.2GHz | Intel i7 3770K 4.7GHz [Noctua NH-U12P SE2] | 2x8GB G.Skill TridentX DDR3-2400 10-12-12-31-1T | Fractal Design R4 | Be Quiet! Straight Power CM E9 580W | ASUS Maximus V Gene | SteelSeries Rival 310 | Qpad MK-50 | Sennheiser HD-555 | SupremeFX III | Samsung 850 Evo 250GB + 840 Evo 250GB | WD Caviar Black 1TB | Windows 10 Professional

iPhone 8 Plus
Danny Nissan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2019, 08:58 AM   #384
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Danny Nissan View Post
I'm not the biggest fan of the combat in this one, I have to admit.
Mind elaborating on what you don't like about it? Just curious.

I actually find the combat to be the best thing about this game. I almost feel like if everything else about it was garbage but the combat was the same I'd still love it. The rhythmic dance of clashing swords and reacting to the different attacks is just incredibly well implemented. I think its the best 3rd person melee combat system ever created hands down.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 09:33 AM   #385
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Mind elaborating
I dunno what he's thinking, but from what I've seen online,

What people expected:

What people got:

Fans of the Soulsborne games love to speak the phrase "git gud" to new players having trouble, and it usually makes sense. However with Sekiro it doesn't make sense, as things like reaction time and rythm for most people are inherent and not things they can improve by a noticeable margin.

Back when I first played the game I posted in this thread, "I'd wager less than 10% of the people who buy this game will complete it", and it looks like my wild guess of 10% was too generous a figure. Reading around the gaming forums I've seen quite a few "I gave up and used cheats to beat the game" type posts, and I'm honestly not surprised.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:05 AM   #386
Mangler
PC

I liked the combat, but I did not really like the last couple of boss fights, some of them would have been a better fit for a proper souls-like.

And having to "kill" one boss four times in one encounter is a bit ridiculous.

Not to mention that his title is a LIE!
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:09 AM   #387
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Haha those pictures are funny.

I'm not sure why people thought this would be Arkham Asylum + Souls. The only similarity is the grappling hook. The combat is nothing like it though.

It is however, very much a rhythm/timing game. Or more accurately, a Souls-like with a combat system built around the parry mechanic of Souls. This is probably why I love it so much, since I loved parrying in Souls games. But also why a lot of people wont like it, since parrying is a high-level mechanic that most people didn't bother with learning and using. Now that its basically forced onto you its understandably going to naturally alienate a lot of players. But it suits me very well.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:11 AM   #388
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I liked the combat, but I did not really like the last couple of boss fights, some of them would have been a better fit for a proper souls-like.

Not to mention that his title is a LIE!
Preach it!

I thought they were uninspired at best. Not bad, just...not what I think FS could have come up with.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:11 AM   #389
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
I LOVE multiple phase boss fights, especially when done well. Its highly satisfying to start a fight feeling completely out of your league, and little by little learning all the patterns of the attacks and culminating to put together everything you've learned into a masterful fight where you do it all perfectly to win. Nothing else like it.

I wasn't able to play much past couple days but I did get a quick glimpse of (what I believe) are the final couple boss fights. I can't wait to sink the time in to learning them. FS has come a long way from the anti-climactic boss fights of some of their earlier games.
Old Apr 23, 2019, 10:21 AM   #390
Drexion
Radeon Sea Islands

Drexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrexion can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
I'm not sure why people thought this would be Arkham Asylum
I just threw those images together real quick, so didn't spend time polishing them up. The Batman games brought back and popularized "third person melee combat with counters and counter attacks" into the mainstream, when other devs started to copy it the phrase "batman style gameplay" became common among reviewers and gamers (especially console gamers)

From what I'm reading around online, the gist is this game requires reaction time, rythm, and constant aggression - and many players can't keep up with one or more of those things. They thought the game would be more of a third person batman style combat in a dark souls-like world.
[Proc: Intel Core i7 [email protected]][GPU: MSI GTX980Ti 6GB][Mem: 64GB Crucial Ballistix Elite 2666-DDR4][Mobo: Asus X99-A][HD: Samsung 500GB SSD 840 EVO][PSU: EVGA SuperNova 850W G2][Audio: Yamaha RX-V673 7.2/JBL 7.2 Surround]
Drexion is offline   Reply With Quote