Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:04 AM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

By saying people who come to the country should buy a poppy is discriminatory and xenophobic.

I'm not going to agree with that, so we'll have to agree to disagree.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:07 AM   #32
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
By saying people who come to the country should buy a poppy is discriminatory and xenophobic.

I'm not going to agree with that, so we'll have to agree to disagree.
There's this thing, I'm pretty sure it's one of those things you swore to defend, called freedom, and those "you people" who come to a country have it too. Cherry was out of line, and now he's out of work. End of story.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:10 AM   #33
switchAMG
FCK TRMP

switchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselswitchAMG exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

The only sad thing about Don Cherry's departure from the TV is that it should have happened a couple seasons ago. It's like letting your old senile relative continue to ramble and wander in the grocery store because you're afraid to do what's right. Don should have been retired (even if against his will) to save him from this exact scenario. It was just a matter of time. He's been wrong more than he's right now for years - his antiquated coaching style and anti-euro/french bias basically killed the MIssissauga Ice Dogs. He's an entertainer more than a hockey expert, and after 35+ yrs his schtick is tired and cliche. Listening to Bob McKenzie this morning it is clear that the game of hockey has passed Don by. Even the Royal Canadian Legion today issued a statement thanking him for his support but telling him his comments were indefensible. I'll remember Rock 'em Sock 'em Don and save my annoyance for CBC and Sportsnet - not for firing him, but for not doing so soon enough to let him go into retirement with some dignity.

Sent from my SM-N975W using Tapatalk
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:11 AM   #34
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Dear God you bring up where I work more than I do bro. Yeah, it's freedom to buy or not to buy it, I'm not arguing against that. What I'm saying is that suggesting people should buy it isn't discriminating or xenophobic. Don has definitely said **** that falls under that before, but this ain't it chief.

I agree though, hockey has passed don by.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:18 AM   #35
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Dear God you bring up where I work more than I do bro. Yeah, it's freedom to buy or not to buy it, I'm not arguing against that. What I'm saying is that suggesting people should buy it isn't discriminating or xenophobic. Don has definitely said **** that falls under that before, but this ain't it chief.

I agree though, hockey has passed don by.
When have I ever brought up where you work? On Facebook once?

I don't agree with you. Trying to force people to assimilate to your standard is discriminating and xenophobic. Let people live how they feel fit, as long as it's within the law. It's as simple as that.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:33 AM   #36
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Yeah that's two more times than I have

How is he trying to force people by saying, and I quote,

"At least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that,” Cherry said.

He didn't say "go buy a poppy now" or "if you come here you should buy a poppy" .. I feel like I've said the same thing 4 times, so if we don't agree with it then that's fine. I agree people are within their right to buy one or not, but I don't see a problem with Don saying that people could show some support by buying a poppy.

I do think that if someone else said it, it wouldn't have been construed the way it was. Don's history is certainly .... Extensive.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:36 AM   #37
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Yeah that's two more times than I have

How is he trying to force people by saying, and I quote,

"At least you can pay a couple bucks for a poppy or something like that,” Cherry said.

He didn't say "go buy a poppy now" or "if you come here you should buy a poppy" .. I feel like I've said the same thing 4 times, so if we don't agree with it then that's fine. I agree people are within their right to buy one or not, but I don't see a problem with Don saying that people could show some support by buying a poppy.

I do think that if someone else said it, it wouldn't have been construed the way it was. Don's history is certainly .... Extensive.
Why is he singling out immigrants? Immigrants aren't the only ones who don't wear a poppy. Frankly, it's entirely inappropriate discussion during a hockey broadcast.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:43 AM   #38
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I need to Google what a poppy is anyway

I agree, it's inappropriate; however, don't find it discriminatory or xenophobic.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:51 AM   #39
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
I need to Google what a poppy is anyway

I agree, it's inappropriate; however, don't find it discriminatory or xenophobic.
If his comment were about everyone, not just "you people" immigrants, he'd still have a job. That's what's discriminatory, and that's what makes it xenophobic. He singled out a group, despite the reality that it's not just immigrants not wearing poppies.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 10:58 AM   #40
Nunz
RIP Roxen

We're going in a circle on this my brother. I understand what you're saying.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:03 AM   #41
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Just not sure what you're disagreeing on anymore. I feel like it's pretty obvious what he was saying.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:10 AM   #42
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I don't think addressing a particular group and suggesting that group buy something falls under discrimination or xenophobia. If he said "**** immigrants" or even "**** those people" I'd be right there with you. Again, I think it has a lot to do with who Don is and his history.

I guess my thing is that I just don't think what he said was so bad. He didn't curse anyone out, he didn't say people were bad for not buying one, he just said "the least you can do" in honor of those who make the greatest sacrifice.

Don's history lends it to believe it was a lot worse than just the words he said, and I suppose that's fair.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:12 AM   #43
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Singling out a group of people that don't deserve to be singled out is a good way to say "**** those people" without ever having to say those words.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:16 AM   #44
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
I don't think addressing a particular group and suggesting that group buy something falls under discrimination or xenophobia. If he said "**** immigrants" or even "**** those people" I'd be right there with you. Again, I think it has a lot to do with who Don is and his history.

I guess my thing is that I just don't think what he said was so bad. He didn't curse anyone out, he didn't say people were bad for not buying one, he just said "the least you can do" in honor of those who make the greatest sacrifice.

Don's history lends it to believe it was a lot worse than just the words he said, and I suppose that's fair.
Along with "you people" he follows it up with "... that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey.” That is specifically targeting immigrants that are not assimilating to the culture. That is text book xenophobia.

Look, I understand how you feel that its not such a terrible thing he said. But you are looking at it from an insulated POV. Put yourself in someone else's shoes that may be targeted by those comments. I see this all too often with conservatives. They never think there's anything wrong until something actually happens to them. This is how you are coming across.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:25 AM   #45
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I don't see why it has to be taken into that vile of a sentiment. I'm not going to keep going back and forth here; I've made it clear what I'm saying and how I feel about it. I don't think it's discriminatory to address a specific group. Don's history makes his statement a lot worse than it was, but just taking the words at face value, I don't think it's all that bad.

Anyway, he's fired and Sportsnet is will within their rights to so that. As switch said, hockey has been beyond Don for years now. He was and still is a legend in the hockey community, but some of the **** he's said in the past is completely outrageous lol.

@meteor - oh no, old grandpa white man told me to buy a poppy. People take words that have zero affect on their lives (like Don Cherry on a hockey broadcast) way too seriously. I'm not a conservative either. Lol wtf. I'm not even gonna get into the whole "insulated POV" bs, because that doesn't apply at all to my life or my life experiences..
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:44 AM   #46
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
@meteor - oh no, old grandpa white man told me to buy a poppy. People take words that have zero affect on their lives (like Don Cherry on a hockey broadcast) way too seriously. I'm not a conservative either. Lol wtf. I'm not even gonna get into the whole "insulated POV" bs, because that doesn't apply at all to my life or my life experiences..
No worries. You've made your point and I respect it. Just wanted to make mine as well.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 11:44 AM   #47
Nunz
RIP Roxen

that I can respect.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 02:56 PM   #48
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quickstrike View Post
Wow, he got fired for that?

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 03:06 PM   #49
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Wow, he got fired for that?
I knew it

He got fired for a lot more than that through the years, that was just the final straw.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 03:26 PM   #50
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Plus I think I read that Budweiser which is a sponsor of Don Cherry's Sportsnet show put out a statement condemning what he said.

And we all know if you upset the corporate sponsor overlords that's grounds for firing in most businesses.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 03:48 PM   #51
Shapeshifter
Radeon Arctic Islands

Shapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badgesShapeshifter doesn't need no stinkin' badges

https://www.thebeaverton.com/2019/11...coachs-corner/

Quote:
Fabricland files for bankruptcy after biggest customer fired from Coach’s Corner

Rage3d is the BEST forum!! There are alot of smart people on here!! -phexus
Shapeshifter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 04:22 PM   #52
huskylord
Load Management

huskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmhuskylord achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Great now you got that jingle in my head.
huskylord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 04:30 PM   #53
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
I knew it

He got fired for a lot more than that through the years, that was just the final straw.
Well I don't know anything about the guy, but from listening to the clip I didn't hear anything controversial. I interpreted the "you people" as anyone not buying a poppy, specifically city-dwellers when they visit small towns... maybe tourists or anyone who's not supporting the veterans or whatever the poppies are for. I didn't interpret it as anything racist. Maybe I'm missing a ton of missing context?

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580

Last edited by SubCog : Nov 13, 2019 at 04:39 PM.
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 04:38 PM   #54
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
Well I don't know anything about the guy, but from listening to the clip I didn't hear anything controversial. I interpreted the "you people" as anyone not buying a poppy... maybe tourists or anyone who's not supporting the veterans or whatever the poppies are for. I didn't interpret it as anything racist. Maybe I'm missing a ton of missing context?
Like I posted above, the full sentence that was problematic was:

Quote:
You people that come here, whatever it is, you love our way of life, you love our milk and honey.
Its pretty clear [to me] he's talking about immigrants. But I guess I'm just more "woke" than the average bear.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 04:42 PM   #55
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

You people make me sick

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 04:44 PM   #56
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
You people make me sick
WHAT THE **** I WANT YOU STRIPPED OF YOUR MOD RIGHTS
Old Nov 13, 2019, 04:46 PM   #57
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Im not reading this whole thread but he was fired for saying "you people" Goddamn the world is soft now.

Whatever happened to just moving on?

Also, had to google wtf this poppy was. I didnt know exactly what they were referring to.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 13, 2019, 04:55 PM   #58
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Im not reading this whole thread but he was fired for saying "you people" Goddamn the world is soft now.

Whatever happened to just moving on?

Also, had to google wtf this poppy was. I didnt know exactly what they were referring to.
I love commenting without knowing context, or reading the whole thread, it's fun.

You could have read the single post before your "you people" post, and you'd have it, but that's too much work.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 04:56 PM   #59
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

In this era of political correctness culture how is anyone surprised by this?

If you are a public figure or celebrity with advertiser money involved in whatever your business is you need to be extra careful about what you say these days. This isn't new. Been happening for a good few years straight now.
Old Nov 13, 2019, 05:05 PM   #60
DeathKnight
Radeon Arctic Islands

DeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshDeathKnight kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
In this era of political correctness culture how is anyone surprised by this?

If you are a public figure or celebrity with advertiser money involved in whatever your business is you need to be extra careful about what you say these days. This isn't new. Been happening for a good few years straight now.
And it's only getting worse, unfortunately.

You don't have to be a public figure or celebrity either. The average person can get targeted for saying the "wrong" thing.
AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | Fractal Design Celsius S24 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Elite | 2 x 16GB G.SKILL Ripjaws V DDR4-3200 (14-14-14-34) B-Die | MSI GTX 1070Ti GAMING 8G | Creative Sound Blaster Z | Samsung 970 EVO 500GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Corsair MP510 480GB M.2 NVMe SSD | Samusng 850 Evo 500GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 2TB | WD 640GB Black | Asus BW-12B1ST 12X Blu-ray Burner | Fractal Design Define R5 case | EVGA SuperNOVA 750 G2 PSU | Win 10 Pro | 1920x1080 w/ 48" LCD TV
HT: Vizio E48-C2 48" LED Backlit LCD TV | Onkyo TX-SR605 A/V receiver | JBL EC35 center | 2 JBL E30's (fronts, bi-amped) | 2 JBL N24II's (rears) | Homemade Sonosub w/Dayton 12" driver (extension to 14Hz), BASH 300w amp | Panasonic DMP-BD35 Blu-ray player | Toshiba HD-A2 HD DVD player | Xbox 360
Camera Gear: Nikon D7000 DSLR | Nikon 16-85mm F3.5-5.6 VR | Nikon 50mm F1.8 G | Sigma 105mm F2.8 EX DG Macro | Slik Pro 700DX tripod legs with Cullmann Magnesit 35Nm ballhead
DeathKnight is offline   Reply With Quote