Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Nov 5, 2019, 04:59 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Default An intersex person shares her experience....

Very moving video, IMO....

Old Nov 6, 2019, 03:22 AM   #2
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I keep having less and less faith in doctors unfortunately. I've had several crappy appointments where doctors wanted to either give me pills for the rest of my life or surgery, I ended up finding an alternate solution through diet changes and nutrition. Really irritates me when doctors don't ask what I'm eating, and prescribe pills. Not the case in this video but damn she could have been been messed up by many incompetent doctors...
Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2019, 04:57 AM   #3
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty12Bass can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Yes, most of the medical people led her astray or used her as a guinea pig... except for the one who correctly recognized her condition. Thought she was brave for sharing her experience with the world and hope it helps others in a similar position.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Nov 6, 2019, 10:35 AM   #4
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Anyone with half a heart would shed a tear at the thought of what she went through as a child and into adulthood. So much of that could have been alleviated had her doctors simply said "I don't know, let me research and find out what I can."

Very courageous of her to come forward and share that experience.
Old Nov 6, 2019, 11:23 AM   #5
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Growing up is hard enough as it is. I can't imagine what she went through.
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:05 PM   #6
Vanz_007
Not 100% a dick

Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Vanz_007 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greasy View Post
Growing up is hard enough as it is. I can't imagine what she went through.
on the silver lining side, she's probably tough as nails now...
Vanz_007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2019, 12:10 PM   #7
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vanz_007 View Post
I've had several crappy appointments where doctors wanted to either give me pills for the rest of my life or surgery, I ended up finding an alternate solution through diet changes and nutrition.
This was a part of ObamaCare/Meaningful Use... i.e. the current problem is that physicians are paid per visit... There is no incentive to actually fix a problem. If the physician never sees you again (or for a long time), they can only assume a few things:
  • You got better from what they prescribed
  • You didn't get better but you don't want to try anything else
  • You didn't get better and went to another doctor

Meaningful Use started switching things (at a hospital level) towards outcome based metrics. i.e. ensuring that patients get better and don't return for more treatment of the same issue. Unfortunately, some of this never made it down to the practice level.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2019, 06:31 PM   #8
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazy8s View Post
Anyone with half a heart would shed a tear at the thought of what she went through as a child and into adulthood. So much of that could have been alleviated had her doctors simply said "I don't know, let me research and find out what I can."

Thanks!

I posted her video in part because I want people to know that non gender binary people are just people, with real feelings, like all of us, and to give an idea what some of them go through in a gender binary world. Yes, she is courageous, and I hope that her willingness to tell her story helps others in a similar position, as well as helps to educate the rest of us and perhaps create a little more understanding of people who don't fit what we think of as "normal".
Old Nov 6, 2019, 07:50 PM   #9
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:

I haven't done this in a long time, but... +1
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2019, 07:51 PM   #10
Munkus
Hugged your dog lately?

Munkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationMunkus has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by 12Bass View Post
Thanks!

I posted her video in part because I want people to know that non gender binary people are just people, with real feelings, like all of us, and to give an idea what some of them go through in a gender binary world. Yes, she is courageous, and I hope that her willingness to tell her story helps others in a similar position, as well as helps to educate the rest of us and perhaps create a little more understanding of people who don't fit what we think of as "normal".
I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise. But they do. Which sucks.
Munkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 6, 2019, 08:31 PM   #11
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I don't understand why anyone would think otherwise. But they do. Which sucks.
Given that she has testicles, I was half-expecting someone here to say that she should should "man-up!"....
Old Nov 6, 2019, 09:27 PM   #12
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Given that she has testicles, I was half-expecting someone here to say that she should should "man-up!"....
Old Nov 6, 2019, 09:28 PM   #13
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Quote:

Here: Ice up son.

--Steve Smith
Old Nov 7, 2019, 02:44 AM   #14
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Chick got balls of steel to educate people about this.
The home is the first and most effective place to learn the lessons of life: truth, honor, virtue, self control, the value of education, honest work, and the purpose and privilege of life. Nothing can take the place of home in rearing and teaching children, and no other success can compensate for failure in the home.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Albert Einstein
Imagination is more important than knowledge. For knowledge is limited to all we now know and understand, while imagination embraces the entire world, and all there ever will be to know and understand.
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2019, 05:08 AM   #15
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Thanks!

Which begs the obvious question "what's normal?"

We humans have a long history of, and longer lists of 'reasons' to mock/deride/harm/abuse etc...anyone we deem different.

I absolutely agree with the hope that others learn from her experiences, as well as a whole host of other examples in this world. We can learn and do better if we're willing.
Old Nov 7, 2019, 05:10 AM   #16
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Munkus View Post
I haven't done this in a long time, but... +1
*fistbump*
Old Nov 7, 2019, 06:15 AM   #17
Higgy10

Higgy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHiggy10 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Which begs the obvious question "what's normal?"
Hard to say anymore. Seems these days everyone and there mother wants to tell you whats normal and what isnt. In theory whatever the individual perceives as normal should be just that except reality is much different.
CFX 290
Acer Predator x34 21:9
Intel x25-m 80gb ssd and 500gb SSD
2x1tb WD Black in raid0
Higgy10 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 7, 2019, 08:28 AM   #18
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by Higgy10 View Post
Hard to say anymore. Seems these days everyone and there mother wants to tell you whats normal and what isnt. In theory whatever the individual perceives as normal should be just that except reality is much different.
Agreed. Preconceived notions and personal bias can be tough to get around though, but it's not impossible.

Two of the most effective tools I've ever learned are to admit I don't know when I don't know, and if uncertain, just ask. An honest and courteously phrased question will often be met with honesty and candor.
Old Nov 9, 2019, 03:52 PM   #19
JZL
Starship Trooper

JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'JZL once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Speaking of asking . . .

1. Emily Quinn seems to identify as a female and she's a she?

2. This is something different from transgender? E.g., Bruce Jenner (a transgender?) was an X-Y male who concluded or decided he was more comfortable or whatever as a woman and began the process to change?
Old Nov 9, 2019, 08:27 PM   #20
Johnmcl7
Knowledge is Power

Johnmcl7 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by JZL View Post
Speaking of asking . . .

1. Emily Quinn seems to identify as a female and she's a she?

2. This is something different from transgender? E.g., Bruce Jenner (a transgender?) was an X-Y male who concluded or decided he was more comfortable or whatever as a woman and began the process to change?
1 - The condition Emily Quinn has is Complete Androgen Insensitivity Syndrome which means biologically she is mostly female but she has some male chromosomes and testes. However for this particular variant of the condition she doesn't receive testosterone which makes her biologically mostly female and she identifies as female.

2 - Yes it's different from transgender where the individual is biologically one gender but identifies as a different gender. Bruce/Caitlyn Jenner was born biologically male with no female parts but suffered with gender dysphoria and underwent cosmetic surgery to transition to being female. Intersex individuals can also suffer gender dysphoria which is more complex as biologically they can have both male and female parts they are not a single gender and as they grow up may find the choice made for their gender is not one they agree with.

"Every person has voices in their heads, whispered doubts and ambitions, dreams and nightmares. How much reality one gives them, how much you allow yourself to be controlled...that only you can decide"
Johnmcl7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Nov 11, 2019, 02:19 AM   #21
12Bass
Quantum Bleep

Great post! Thanks, Johnmcl7.