Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Jul 12, 2020, 05:17 PM   #3541
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
read again

if you see someone not wearing a mask just stay away from them .
Got my stories mixed, same end result though
Old Jul 12, 2020, 07:34 PM   #3542
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I'm actually surprised that up until this point there haven't been more people angry at people NOT wearing masks. Most of the stories have been about people getting violent because the refuse to wear a mask. Or threatening public health officials because they are angry that things are shut down.

Maybe people need to start confronting these idiots? Obviously pulling a gun is going too far, but I'm not sure simply tolerating them being inconsiderate of everyone else's health is really acceptable either.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2020, 07:38 PM   #3543
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Maybe people need to start confronting these idiots? Obviously pulling a gun is going too far, but I'm not sure simply tolerating them being inconsiderate of everyone else's health is really acceptable either.
Maybe some people need more than just "It might help dude, and it's totally worth it, I promise!" to convince them the "elites" are not f**king with them yet again?

I mean I wear my mask when required, but I'm also constantly on the fence seeing as there's no reliable (or reliably communicated?) data on the effectiveness of this approach on one hand, while there's the very obvious and terrible effects of the lockdowns on the society, on the other hand.

S**t's f**ked up in the narrative while the IFR is 0.5%. It's not an easy situation if you tend to distrust the elites (and if you do I don't blame ya). Makes you question whether that small chance of dying is worth all the suffering (I have a relative who had to forego a scheduled doctor appointment due to the lockdowns and might now be developing an untreated cancer for 4 months because of that).

Oh but you have a grandpa who has a much higher chance to die of Covid than you have? So keep him locked at home and don't visit him for the rest of your life (or until a reliable vaccine is developed) , while you're building up your own immunity and shaving off that fat. C'mon, it's virtually as easy as wearing a mask - you just have to put yourself into it.

Also , I've caught talks to the effect our civilisation does not deserve to survive if it's not willing to accepth a fatality rate even as low as 0.5%. And i tend to agree. We have removed ourselves so far from the reality of death we have become delusional.
TC Electronic Desktop Konnekt <---> KRK Rokit 5's

Last edited by globalist : Jul 12, 2020 at 08:45 PM.
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 12, 2020, 07:49 PM   #3544
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
Florida with 15,000+ cases a day is awful. That will translate to ~350 deaths per day in about 3 weeks. And it seems like Florida is doing very little to actually halt progress. Nobody in Florida should be doing anything normal right now. Actually a lot of states are similar on a per capita basis: Arizona, Georgia, Louisiana, South Carolina, Texas, Mississippi.
Yeah, it's looking really bad. The worst thing is Desantis doesn't seem like he's willing to do anything. He's seemingly completely divorced from reality. If the ICUs are already at capacity, well, it's not going to be better next week or the week after.

Other places are also not looking that great. I'm not exactly sure why we're not on the path to shut down again in a lot of places? I mean, why did we shut down before, when cases were so much lower than they are now, but now we're just not going to do it?

The current strategy clearly isn't working, we need to tamp things down and reset and try again. But I'm afraid there may be too many Desantis's out there who are just locked in some sort of suicide pact with reopening.

The sad thing is, the economy is already shot, so all of the resistance to closing down business is severely misguided. Shutting down doesn't ruin the economy, the virus has already done that. Shutting down is about trying to mitigate the damage, and get things under control so we can get things back closer to normal. Which, in a lot of places in the world, they've actually managed to do.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 08:22 PM   #3545
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

Unlike Italy/Spain, our initial 'spike' wasn't significant. They said we need to flatten the curve. They said that if we do it right, it will look like we overreacted. These things happened.

The problem isn't that we didn't shut down harder or that we didn't shut down for long enough. The problem is that people en masse don't understand the common logistics on how this virus spreads, and how easily. Things as dumb as mask wearing and increasing indoor ventilation in places of business may be enough to shut the virus down in a month, and totally kill it in three.
Crawdaddy79 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2020, 08:36 PM   #3546
cbsboyer
ATI EGA Wonder

cbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete strangercbsboyer once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
Unlike Italy/Spain, our initial 'spike' wasn't significant. They said we need to flatten the curve. They said that if we do it right, it will look like we overreacted. These things happened.

The problem isn't that we didn't shut down harder or that we didn't shut down for long enough. The problem is that people en masse don't understand the common logistics on how this virus spreads, and how easily. Things as dumb as mask wearing and increasing indoor ventilation in places of business may be enough to shut the virus down in a month, and totally kill it in three.
It's unlikely that ventilation and masks will kill this thing (especially if asymptomatic spread is a thing), but they will drastically slow the spread. That means that the people who inevitably do catch it can be cared for properly and that reduces the overall mortality rate. A hospital is equipped to deal with a dozen severe cases a day, not a hundred.

"Relationships are like dormant volcanoes, most of the time things are fine or manageable but there's always a chance she blows molten crazy all over you." - ice
cbsboyer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2020, 09:00 PM   #3547
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbsboyer View Post
It's unlikely that ventilation and masks will kill this thing (especially if asymptomatic spread is a thing), but they will drastically slow the spread. That means that the people who inevitably do catch it can be cared for properly and that reduces the overall mortality rate. A hospital is equipped to deal with a dozen severe cases a day, not a hundred.
Not sure what you're getting at. The whole point of wearing a mask is to prevent asymptomatic spread.

Also, most of what I've been reading is that if you have to be hospitalized, your chance of surviving is very small.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 09:02 PM   #3548
Nagorak

Old Jul 12, 2020, 09:10 PM   #3549
Cyko
Patron Saint of Insanity

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
Not sure what you're getting at. The whole point of wearing a mask is to prevent asymptomatic spread.

Also, most of what I've been reading is that if you have to be hospitalized, your chance of surviving is very small.
Sigh...asymptomatic, presymptomatic, mild symptoms... just spread. Not just asymptomatic spread.

Re:hospitalization: only true if you are ventilated. Don’t spread fear around unnecessarily these days.

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 12, 2020, 09:21 PM   #3550
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
Sigh...asymptomatic, presymptomatic, mild symptoms... just spread. Not just asymptomatic spread.

Re:hospitalization: only true if you are ventilated. Don’t spread fear around unnecessarily these days.
Not sure what you're getting at either. COVID hospitalizations occur when the victim's face is blue. That is the main criterion for being accepted.

The lack of fear is why we're seeing a huge 'second' spike in new infections. I do not agree that whatever fear my posts cause is unnecessary.
Old Jul 12, 2020, 10:32 PM   #3551
Java Cool Dude
With my family

Java Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled withJava Cool Dude is not someone to be trifled with

My test came back negative for COVID-19, nearly cried with relief!
Java Cool Dude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:46 AM   #3552
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppersbill dennison has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Java Cool Dude View Post
good
bill dennison is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:49 AM   #3553
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundSirBaron can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I'm still feeling like **** and worse than Saturday in some ways. Thought might be work related as we have a lot of mould where we work. (Industrial greenhouse). However my son also has it mildly and my mother is slowly getting sick.

Been a long time since I've been this rough, imagine it's a flu virus or something but will see what happens when I phone up for doctors today.

PS4/PC Streaming - Streaming PS Indie Titles + Infamous, Metal Gear, and Killzone Shadow Fall

Fantards the scourge of the universe:
SirBaron is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:50 AM   #3554
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Lazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialLazy8s is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Good to hear!
Old Jul 13, 2020, 12:52 AM   #3555
xCLAVEx
Not gone

xCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete strangerxCLAVEx once held a door open for a complete stranger

Approaching day 11. Still no symptoms, I'm thinking I dodged a bullet and did not get it.

"America is not divided by race. color, gender, or sexual orientation.
America is divided into wise people and fools.
And fools divide themselves by race, color, gender, or sexual orientation."
xCLAVEx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 02:20 AM   #3556
Lazy8s
One day at a time

Quote:
Originally Posted by xCLAVEx View Post
Approaching day 11. Still no symptoms, I'm thinking I dodged a bullet and did not get it.
More good news
Old Jul 13, 2020, 03:26 AM   #3557
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
Originally Posted by globalist View Post
snip
Why do you pretend a (theoretical) 0.5% mortality is the only cause for concern? You know this isn't true.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 07:14 AM   #3558
Sundance Kid V2
Rage3D Spammer

Sundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialSundance Kid V2 is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Nice!
Sundance Kid V2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 07:51 AM   #3559
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasef View Post
Why do you pretend a (theoretical) 0.5% mortality is the only cause for concern? You know this isn't true.
First of all, I'm not "pretending". I'm putting forth my opinion, however wrong or contrary it may appear to you.

Second, it should be clear from my post that besides the (theoretically low) death rate, there's a much bigger cause for concern, at least to me - namely the health of the economy and the society in general. So not sure what you mean there.

And finally, in my country, we use to say:

"If life's not at stake, nothing's at stake".

I hope we're still allowed to each have our own risk thresholds and adjust them based on the situation at hand.

Last edited by globalist : Jul 13, 2020 at 08:31 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 08:35 AM   #3560
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled withJasef is not someone to be trifled with

Quote:
First of all, I'm not "pretending". I'm putting forth my opinion, however wrong or contrary it may appear to you.

Second, it should be clear from my post that besides the (theoretically low) death rate, there's a much bigger cause for concern, at least to me - namely the health of the economy and the society in general. So not sure what you mean there.

And finally, in my country, we use to say:

"If life's not at stake, nothing's at stake".

I hope we're still allowed to each have our own risk thresholds and adjust them based on the situation at hand.
Oh plz. I guess the hospitals are filling up with covid patients because hanging out there is just hilarious. You are pretending.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 09:13 AM   #3561
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

Pretending what?
Old Jul 13, 2020, 09:25 AM   #3562
Mahjik
Motoring Goodness

Mahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMahjik doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Omega53 View Post
People are in for a shock once they get it. I'm 35 in reasonably good health and felt like death. Honestly if I had insurance, my ass would've been in the hospital. There was a 3 day period where I literally didn't have the energy or strength to get out of bed. Thank god I'm more than likely immune now.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ice View Post
Your immunity is probably already gone. Everything I've heard says the antibodies don't stick around for long, unless they've come out with studies that contradict the last contradictions.
There are articles now appearing of people contracting COVID for a second time.
Mahjik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 09:28 AM   #3563
Jasef
Radeon Arctic Islands

That all this virus is is a 0.5% mortality rate.

The effect it has on the health of the economy is a reaction to the virus from society, it is not the actual virus causing it.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 09:52 AM   #3564
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jasef View Post
That all this virus is is a 0.5% mortality rate.

The effect it has on the health of the economy is a reaction to the virus from society, it is not the actual virus causing it.
Sorry, I'm not following what you're trying to say there.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:08 AM   #3565
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Sorry, I'm not following what you're trying to say there.
Economic pain has happened regardless of whether a country closed down or not.

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproje...virus.amp.html

Quote:
This is what has happened: Not only have thousands more people died than in neighboring countries that imposed lockdowns, but Sweden’s economy has fared little better.
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:45 AM   #3566
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elysian View Post
Economic pain has happened regardless of whether a country closed down or not.

https://www-nytimes-com.cdn.ampproje...virus.amp.html
Ah OK. Well yeah, it's a global economy, stupid.

But there's a lot more disruption that happened than just to the economy. Disruption of trust in science, the state, and leadership in general, taking a final nail to the coffin in many places and slowly starting in others, is my main gripe, and I can see how people's mask choices are a big part of that angle.

But i was talking more about the individual risk tolerance that we each have, as opposed to what the state is telling us it should be.

BTW, it's funny how in my country it's the liberals who are harping on the conservative PM for trying to control the rona spread too much (we've had 28 deaths so far).

Last edited by globalist : Jul 13, 2020 at 11:02 AM.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 10:51 AM   #3567
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
BTW, it's funny how in my country it's the liberals who are harping on the conservative PM for trying to control the rona spread too much (we've had 28 deaths so far).
What country is this? Just for reference.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:17 AM   #3568
globalist
Radeon Evergreen

Slovakia.
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:20 AM   #3569
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Slovakia.
TY

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 13, 2020, 11:36 AM   #3570
MyTMouse
Console Forumas Modamus

MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'MyTMouse once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Subscriber

It's almost like some areas are like "well we tried, but we didn't succeed in getting rid of the virus, it cost us too much so we give up...go back to regular life now"
MyTMouse is offline   Reply With Quote