Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge » Motoring
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Motoring Anything that goes vroooom! and makes the hairs on the back of your neck stand up, this is the place.

Old Dec 22, 2020, 11:52 AM   #331
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

These arrived yesterday:

Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 2, 2021, 02:30 PM   #332
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Insulation is out:

Spare wheel well is out:

And when I removed the trunk liner panels, I found this ancient 1.3gb Toshiba HDD and USB adapter No luck yet with seeing what's on there, the USB adapter seems to be broken, but the drive itself spins up fine.

Old Jan 3, 2021, 05:40 PM   #333
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got everything cut out where I needed to cut it. Decided in the middle of it since I'm coming the wheel well I'd just cut out the metal in between as well.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 4, 2021, 10:44 AM   #334
Elysian
SCAATSJW

I think I found a dual sump oil pan that may work with the E30 without much modification, giving me much more oil capacity and nice baffling.

https://www.cantonracingproducts.com...pro-power-pan/

I reached out and got the missing dimensions, and it's very possible this works in the car with sway bar relocation. I was already thinking about relocating the sway bar mounting point anyways. Going to take some measurements on my car to verify if this will work or what it might take to be workable. It's much cheaper from Summit Racing, $499.

edit: I quickly worked it up in CAD, the cyan line is the modified pan I built per E30V8's guide, and the red line is the Canton pan. The most likely place for interference I see is the front edge of the back of the pan, but I think it would be easier to notch the subframe than modify the pan.

Last edited by Elysian : Jan 4, 2021 at 11:46 AM.
Old Jan 4, 2021, 04:59 PM   #335
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quick update on the hard drive I found, I got it working today, and found this picture of my E30 from a snow day in 2004:

The drive also led me to the guy who owned it, I sent him a message about the drive to see if he wanted the contents of it. There's a bunch of pics of him traveling to China, Hong Kong, and other memories I feel like I'd want if it were my drive. I even found the address this picture was taken at.

edit: Oh and I picked up a welding gas tank at lunch today, going to pick up the sheet metal for the trunk on the way home today.

Last edited by Elysian : Jan 4, 2021 at 05:20 PM.
Old Jan 5, 2021, 08:21 AM   #336
Elysian
SCAATSJW

And the guy I contacted was indeed the previous owner, so I was able to give him his files/pictures back
Old Jan 7, 2021, 10:04 AM   #337
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

That's pretty badass. Nice detective work!
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 8, 2021, 07:04 PM   #338
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Today, I got to welding. Very poorly mind you, but I got a lot done.

The rear diff is mounted now. I still need to make sway bar mounts, and I still need to finish the sheet metal trunk floor. Next time I'm under there I'll be grinding back some of the welds and rework them with more heat.
Old Jan 16, 2021, 06:56 PM   #339
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Minor update, stopped by the wrecking yard and got the rear brake calipers I need. Should have all the parts I need to assemble all that. Need to figure out sway bar now...
Old Jan 20, 2021, 03:14 PM   #340
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Ireland Engineering 25/22mm sway bar set is ordered (hopefully ships soon), Canton Racing oil pan that I think may fit is ordered and will be here Friday, and seat is en route from Summit Racing. Will hopefully be able to sell the stock black leather comfort seats, but will have to see what kind of condition they're in.
Old Jan 20, 2021, 03:19 PM   #341
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Making progress! Think you'll have it ready to drive on the street this year?

Making me feel like a lazy bum. I have an ABS issue to sort out on the track car and have just been putting it off. Totally burned out on it.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2021, 03:21 PM   #342
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
Making progress! Think you'll have it ready to drive on the street this year?

Making me feel like a lazy bum. I have an ABS issue to sort out on the track car and have just been putting it off. Totally burned out on it.
Goal is to be autocrossing it next month I don't think I'll hit that at this point, but I'm certainly gonna try to have it in an early season event.
Old Jan 23, 2021, 02:15 PM   #343
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Mounted the cheap Summit Racing seat in the car, fitment is nice after chopping the brackets down a touch.

edit: I store a lot of parts inside the car btw, limited on space in my garage.

Last edited by Elysian : Jan 23, 2021 at 02:31 PM.
Old Jan 26, 2021, 01:51 PM   #344
Elysian
SCAATSJW

My precious
Old Jan 28, 2021, 09:25 PM   #345
Elysian
SCAATSJW

This swaybar kit is sweet.
Old Feb 6, 2021, 01:24 PM   #346
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Got the rear sway bar mounts welded in today:

And made myself very dirty in the process.

Now I can work more on building up the rear end, getting the trailing arms, shocks, springs, etc in. Small job but big step in the grand scheme. Still need to seam seal and paint some spots though, and finish the trunk floor, but felt the sway bar was an important step.