Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:26 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Default The Sinking City PC review – Cthulhu meets C.S.I.

https://www.pcinvasion.com/the-sinki...u-meets-c-s-i/

The Sinking City, from developer Frogwares, is touted as an open-world adventure game with survival horror elements. While reviewing the game, I was investigating multiple cases. I also faced off against the depraved and otherworldly denizens from the works of H. P. Lovecraft, August Derleth, and many others who’ve created the Cthulhu Mythos and tales of cosmic horror. It’s Cthulhu (plus his pals among the Ancient/Old Ones) meets C.S.I.

Unfortunately, several issues in The Sinking City — which are be explained in detail in this review — prevent it from becoming a special masterpiece. Likewise, technical issues, uninspired mechanics, and missed opportunities mean that marvelous Lovecraftian works in video game form remain a pipedream. They still wait dreaming in their house at R’lyeh.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2019, 04:44 PM   #2
ThirdEye
goodnight sweet prince

ThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmThirdEye achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

from what I've seen this is a 3rd person running simulator with a lot of dialogue cutscenes.
ThirdEye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2019, 04:49 PM   #3
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThirdEye View Post
from what I've seen this is a 3rd person running simulator with a lot of dialogue cutscenes.
I could say the same about Outlast and Outlast 2 (except those are first person), and those were very good games.

This however, at least from that review, looks like ****.
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 26, 2019, 05:58 PM   #4
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

I liked it. It's basically a mix between Vampyr and Resident Evil (5?). The combat is a bit clunky but relatively infrequent. I enjoyed all the cases and thought the choices you have to make were great albeit without lasting consequences. City is decent to explore and the mood is good.

It's a bit glitchy at times with civilians popping in and out. Also there was one spot where I was able to just reenter a building half a dozen times and max out my inventory since the resources respawned.

At times it gets a bit fetch questy, as you go back and forth between districts to progress the case. Also you can't skip case leads (e.g. you can't go to the person's house before you found their address in the police archives because it will be locked).

Took me about 14 hrs to finish but I didn't do many side cases. I give it about 7.5/10
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2019, 08:11 PM   #5
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
Originally Posted by nutcrackr View Post
I liked it. It's basically a mix between Vampyr and Resident Evil (5?). The combat is a bit clunky but relatively infrequent. I enjoyed all the cases and thought the choices you have to make were great albeit without lasting consequences. City is decent to explore and the mood is good.

It's a bit glitchy at times with civilians popping in and out. Also there was one spot where I was able to just reenter a building half a dozen times and max out my inventory since the resources respawned.

At times it gets a bit fetch questy, as you go back and forth between districts to progress the case. Also you can't skip case leads (e.g. you can't go to the person's house before you found their address in the police archives because it will be locked).

Took me about 14 hrs to finish but I didn't do many side cases. I give it about 7.5/10
Did it release early for you?

yoz
Old Jun 26, 2019, 08:43 PM   #6
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Did it release early for you?
I got a review copy a few days ago and only finished it yesterday.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 09:10 PM   #7
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
I got a review copy a few days ago and only finished it yesterday.
Cool!

yoz
Old Jul 17, 2019, 04:13 PM   #8
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Seems kinda cool. Unique places and settings with lots of character.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 06:19 PM   #9
Chubz
Doomer

Chubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird singsChubz knows why the caged bird sings

This game looks awesome! One of the first Lovecraftian titles I've seen that's really piqued my interest. If my backlog weren't so ridiculous and I wasn't such a cheapskate I'd buy it right now.
Old Jul 17, 2019, 10:02 PM   #10
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

been waiting for another dark corners of the earth for ages. i hope its goode
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 18, 2019, 01:03 AM   #11
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

Think vampyr mixed with resident evil. It's beautiful and interesting
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2019, 11:51 AM   #12
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Location: Manches All hail king Dave, ruler of all Manchesville
JohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I loved vampyr and recently gave this a shot.

I just can't seem to get over having to navigate the streets, it just seems messy and rather dull.

How good is the story as that is what I mainly go for these days.
JohnEJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 22, 2019, 01:21 PM   #13
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEJohn View Post

How good is the story as that is what I mainly go for these days.
Dunno, I'm guessing most haven't bought it cause its a stupid Epic exclusive.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 02:15 PM   #14
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

JohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestJohnEJohn considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Destroy View Post
Dunno, I'm guessing most haven't bought it cause its a stupid Epic exclusive.
Yarr, I agree.

No platform exclusivity on PC for me, I'm still pissed all the quantric dream games are on epic.
Old Jul 22, 2019, 09:22 PM   #15
Cyko
Rusty Pirate

Cyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of ReputationCyko has achieved the Highest Pinnacle of Reputation

I HATE the combat in this game. That and the fact that there is so much “filler” travel.

The cases are interesting but the combat and walking/boating just ruin it for me.

Alpha
| Mobo: MSI P6N-SLI | CPU: Intel C2D E6600 @ 3.2ghz | Memory: 4GB (4x1GB) G.Skill DDR2-800 | Video Card: EVGA NVIDIA 8800GTX | Hard Drive(s): 2xMaxtor 200GB | Sound: Onboard 7.1 HD | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | Case: Coolermaster Centurion 5 | PSU: OCZ GameXstream 700w | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Vista Home Premium |

Omega

| Mobo: Asus A8V S939 VIA K8T800 Pro | CPU: Athlon 64 X2 3800+ "Manchester" | Memory: 2GB (2x1GB) OCZ PC3200 Platinum | Video Card: BBA AIW X800 XT | Hard Drive(s): Maxtor 100GB + Maxtor 200GB + WD 120GB | Sound: SB Audigy 2 ZS | DVD Writer: LITE-ON LDW-451S | DVD Reader: Memorex Generic | Case: Antec Lifestyle Sonata II | PSU: Antec 450w SmartPower 2.0 | Mouse: Logitech MX1000 | Keyboard: Logitech Cordless Desktop | Mousepad: fUnc Surface 1030 | Headphones: Sennheiser HD 280 | Monitor: LG L1751S-SN 17" LCD | Scanner: Canon LiDe 35 | OS: Windows XP Media Center Edition |

Cyko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2019, 07:33 AM   #16
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyko View Post
I HATE the combat in this game. That and the fact that there is so much “filler” travel.

The cases are interesting but the combat and walking/boating just ruin it for me.
Yeah that was my take on it too, wandering around was simply a chore.

Doesn't help that npc ai seems to have been given to an intern, people just bumbling around, walking into things.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 11:29 AM   #17
Evileh
Keep your pimp hip strong

Evileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird singsEvileh knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnEJohn View Post
Yeah that was my take on it too, wandering around was simply a chore.

Doesn't help that npc ai seems to have been given to an intern, people just bumbling around, walking into things.
Don't forget the glitchy animations lol
Battlefield 3 Stats
Xfire evilgenius84
Xbox Live Gamer's Tag: Evileh

Sittal on BF2142 "
wtf. seriously. this has got to be the worst game i have EVER played. far worse than left behind."
Evileh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 23, 2019, 12:10 PM   #18
JohnEJohn
Diplomatic Impunity

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evileh View Post
Don't forget the glitchy animations lol
Oh definitely, it wouldn't be such an issue if the game didn't make you wander around so much but seeing some poor npc walk around in circles, into a wall, walk into another npc, repeat it all again then have every walking animation broken by simply stepping on a stone really breaks immersion.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 06:16 PM   #19
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

Yeah the NPCs are kinda daft. There didn't need to be as many as there are. I didn't find the walking too bad because there are so many telephone booths.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 09:11 PM   #20
Fuku2
Metal Guitarist

Fuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshFuku2 kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Yeah the NPCs are kinda daft. There didn't need to be as many as there are. I didn't find the walking too bad because there are so many telephone booths.
As opposed to the walking telephone booths of today?