Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 7, 2019, 12:08 AM   #121
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Ziklitschli
ziklitschlintorn

Location: Poland Where the pure lab reseach data show no life can exist
Ziklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyZiklitschli can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by KAC View Post
The graphics put me off it. Maybe I will try again. Any graphics mods out?
It's a beautiful game, just not flashy. I was in awe numerous times, (ie right away in Talos I lobby), something that never happened to me in the very praised Doom 2016.

Try it and don't judge the graphics by the helicopter scene.

Garth Merenghi quotes
Most of you will probably know me already from my extensive canon of chillers including "Afterbirth" in which a mutated placenta attacks Bristol.

Everyone has a special talent. Mine is being able to write, produce direct, act, paint... Other people are good plumbers, that's their gift.

There are rebels and there are innovators. I'm a rebel. I play a rebel brain expert who's in rebelliance against conventional logic, who's in rebelliance against the world order. It's about rebelliance. And if that's not being an innovator, I don't know what is.

In times of conflict, when you're up against an agressor, be he human, be he inhuman, whoe'er he be, often he is both.

Greetings traveller. Who am I? Perhaps you have met me twixt sleep and and wake - in the penumbra of uncertainity you call unconsiousness... you know, my books are essentialy about "what ifs". In "Black Fang" I asked - what if a rat could drive a bus? And what if it and its rat brethren took over and ate Parliment?

A lot of people say "Garth Merenghi? Doesn't he write that horror crap?" Well, you're an idiot, because my books always say something, even if it's simple like "Don't geneticaly engineer crabs to be as big as man". There's always a message or a theme.
Ziklitschli is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 04:50 AM   #122
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drexion View Post
In theory you would be right. In reality, most devs fail at using the large open world to better the gamer's experience.

The reality is that "open world" to many devs is
(1) Pointless fetch quests
(2) Pointless, shallow POI's (points of interest) around the map
(3) Pointless collectibles scattered around the world, many in the empty distant corners
(4) Large open areas devoid of any purpose other than to make the map bigger
(5) Repetitive map design, literally copy/pasted buildings and areas

In recent years it's no surprise when reading player reviews of some open world games, to see their recommendation to 'skip all side content and just follow the main quest for the most enjoyable way to play'. The dev time spent on the shallow open world content most likely (but not always) took away resources that would have made the game's primary gameplay loop/content better.

Yes, some devs do use the open world to better the experience, and it would be nice if more did. But reality, ...
I think a lot of the stuff like collectibles is pretty easy to place. You can whizz around the map and just drop them here, there, everywhere, and it takes the player a lot longer to collect them. For the most part, I try to skip most of that crap, and have done so dating back to the original GTA 3.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 7, 2019, 07:32 AM   #123
delirium121
Radeon Northern Islands

delirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultydelirium121 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Open world games are wearing me out so fast. Every damn thing is an RPG of sorts with an open world with repetitive crap thrown at you. Every single game. It is really becoming a chore to finish even the simplest of games.

Mafia 3 - Why is it open world? Dafuq!
Ghost Recon Wildlands - Why is it open world? Dafuq!
Dying Light - Why is it open world? Dafuq!
Mass Effect Andromeda - Could have done without a full open world? Dafuq!
Division - Again open world? Dafuq!
Gravity Rush 2 - Wanted to play but full on open world!
Horizon Zero Dawn - Love it but open world again!
Deus Ex Mankind Divided - Again open world sort of!
Zelda - Wanted to try but open world.
Nier Automata - Again and RPG almost open world so skipped.

I really appreciated some story driven stuff like Doom, TF2 and COD IW this past few months. Other than that, it seems everything I touch is open world/RPG nonsense. You guys getting tired of this?
completely agree, Open world sand box games for the like of GTA,X series, Elder scrolls, etc. is great.
But sodding Tomb raider etc.
And as for fetch quests.....

I'd rather a compelling 3hr game with a loads of unlockables rather than this padded out nonsense.
E.g. the original RE or SH games

if you want to kill a games immersion/drama add padding.
BEWARE!.. the lemon wheels
delirium121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 10, 2019, 10:01 PM   #124
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Wow, so just when I thought I was playing a good SP game, ReCore throws a spanner and makes me hunt for Prismatic Cores to go through the final level. Wtf? I hate such artificial padding in games so much.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2019, 11:18 AM   #125
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Wow, so just when I thought I was playing a good SP game, ReCore throws a spanner and makes me hunt for Prismatic Cores to go through the final level. Wtf? I hate such artificial padding in games so much.
Open that gaping world and take it all in.
Zalman CNPS9900LED on AMD Phenom II X4 955 BE @ 3.2ghz
Gigabyte GA-MA790FXT-UD5P
4gb Patriot Viper Series Low Latency DDR3 1600
8gb Patriot Gamer 2 series Performance DDR3 1600
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Western Digital Caviar Black 500gb 7200RPM SATA
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition on Asus Xonar Xense
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 11, 2019, 05:02 PM   #126
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Yeah ReCore has a stupid grind when you get to the shifting sands. You'll need 45 cores
nutcrackr is offline   Reply With Quote