Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:59 PM   #31
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Have they mentioned if it is subscription based or f2p?
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:02 PM   #32
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

who do I give my credit card to?

can I mail them my credit card with my code?

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:55 PM   #33
Qb2k5
Alienware Certified

Qb2k5 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Napoleonic View Post

w00t!

OMG OMG OMG!
Holy ****!!!!

I hope this is the type of graphics we get with next gen consoles (Xbox/PS4).
Qb2k5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 10, 2012, 05:56 PM   #34
Saggypoo
Fun Police

Saggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Have they mentioned if it is subscription based or f2p?
Looking at the pledge page, it seems to have some sort of currency you get for in game. You'll probably buy the box and have other stuff like ship skins or whatnot in a store. We'll see if 'pay to win' pops up in this.
Saggypoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:40 PM   #35
CoolNitro
Radeon Volcanic Islands

CoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete stranger

Damn I'm loving the level of detail in that carrier, I admire the fact that the dev is going full attention to details, immersion, and simulation because imo this is the direction PC games of the future should be going. I hope that other developers take note.
CoolNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:18 PM   #36
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

So, when is it out?
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 01:40 AM   #37
Ego
I can't take this

Ego can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEgo can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

2014 , with a playable alpha planned for 2013.
Ego is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:49 PM   #38
Greasy
Raiding Curio's Stable

Greasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppersGreasy has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Can't wait for this!!!
Greasy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 12:56 PM   #39
RSViper
Radeon R520

RSViper is still being judged by the masses

A space sim with an open world similar to Skyrim would be amazing. This looks fantastic, let's hope the gameplay delivers too.
RSViper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 02:07 PM   #40
Thorney
Radeon R520

Thorney is still being judged by the masses

In a big nod to Robert Heinlein, you earn your citizenship through mandatory military service.

This sounds like Starlancer and Freelancer all over again - but this time without any concessions to Microsoft by having to scale down both games until they no longer resemble the overly ambitious original design plan.

Translated into MMO game mechanics, sounds like once you complete your career of structured missions the game turns into a more freestyle Elite experience. That could be cool provided everyone can interact with everyone in the same game world and not have everything instanced out and tightly segregated... like Star Trek Online. I guess Squadron 42 as a single player game factors in this too. You finish that, gaining player experience as well as exportable game bling, before heading into Star Citizen.

So right here are two ingenious solutions. How not to be a clueless newbie when first starting a MMO. What to do after rushing through an MMO's finite supply of scripted content.

Let's face it. Canned MMO tutorials just aren't cutting it. They do not give an average player the vital practical experience he/she needs to survive in multiplayer. They get frustrated. They rage quit the game - in individual matches and eventually walk away from a game altogether. That's been the last two years for me. Wishing the majority of a player base had more patience, wouldn't give up so easy. That they spent just a little time learning how to play - what all the keys are - what are the objectives.

Squadron 42 and Star Citizen sold separately of course. They're promising a one time only purchase - no subscription fees - obligatory MMO store with not-pay-to-win items.

Last edited by Thorney : Oct 11, 2012 at 02:09 PM.
Thorney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:07 PM   #41
shrike126
Chirp Chirp Mother****er

shrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersshrike126 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Subscriber

Why the crap do they insist on replicating current real-world constraints in a space based game? I mean ... I love the look of this game. It looks great and even better it has a real Battlestar Galactica vibe to it. But just like the Galactica, the "carrier" has a flight deck and the fighters appear to have flaps and ailerons that they use during banks and turns. If they were in an atmosphere that required the management of a medium such as air to travel through, I'd understand the point of having these flaps to turn... but in space it just doesn't seem significant. I guess the fighter would be designed to include them IF it were in a planet's atmosphere but I'd be surprised if they'd be moving 100% of the time, even in space, since a fly-by-wire system within a planet's atmosphere would likely manipulate the degree of flap angle based on sensor data. If there's nothing there to "push" against I doubt they'd keep adjusting.

The flight deck on the carrier I kinda understand, it makes sense to have a platform for the catch and release or launch of individual small craft. I just don't see why it would require such a large "runway" during take off. Carriers on the water and runways on land require it to negotiate the plane's handoff between having enough speed to keep from falling out of the sky (lift vs gravity) and slowing down to a complete stop. In space, both the carrier and the fighters are in the same environment (space) so there's no need to design a large landing strip to help slow down the plane for a landing.
"I don't even wait. And when you're a star they let you do it. You can do anything."
"Grab them by the pussy."

~Donald J. Trump
Quote:
"Sometimes I think the surest sign that intelligent life exists elsewhere in the universe, is that so far none of it has tried to contact us." ~ Calvin & Hobbes
Quote:
"Those who make peaceful revolution impossible will make violent revolution inevitable." ~ John F. Kennedy (1962)
shrike126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 05:48 PM   #42
Saggypoo
Fun Police

Saggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSaggypoo doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Didn't the fighters in BSG work in an atmosphere also? I'm too lazy to look that up at the moment.

It'll be interesting if they do have atmosphere flying, like some of these indie space sims we've seen tech demos for. I'd be all for flying down to a planet and prospect some resources for trade.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 06:43 PM   #43
Thorney
Radeon R520

Quote:
Originally Posted by shrike126 View Post
But just like the Galactica, the "carrier" has a flight deck and the fighters appear to have flaps and ailerons that they use during banks and turns.
Yup, I saw that and there is a legitimate space shippy explanation. See thrust vectoring.

Often control surfaces are inside the engine itself. Nowadays thrust vectoring is usually implemented with computer controlled gimballed engines. However in still other, usually older, designs the control surfaces are external and thus visible. I was reading about the V2 rocket not too long ago. One of its prototype designs used external flap like surfaces that were later abandoned. It was all quite confusing to British intelligence.
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:34 PM   #44
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Until the bitch gimbal locks you and die! (Yeah I know, modern systems can deal with gimbal lock )
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 07:36 PM   #45
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

well i dropped 60 bucks in the slot i hope it works out

i may need to replace my joystick i no longer have a serial port

Last edited by bill dennison : Oct 11, 2012 at 07:38 PM.
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:00 PM   #46
MysticTechnolgy
Radeon R100

MysticTechnolgy is still being judged by the masses

Thumbs up

Omg, Omg, Omg, I loved the wing commander games and privateer! this has been long long over due now.. you know how much i was smiling watching this trailer? This is beautiful guys.. where to i sign over my house and savings?!!
MysticTechnolgy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 08:10 PM   #47
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by MysticTechnolgy View Post
Omg, Omg, Omg, I loved the wing commander games and privateer! this has been long long over due now.. you know how much i was smiling watching this trailer? This is beautiful guys.. where to i sign over my house and savings?!!
http://backup-na.robertsspaceindustr...-galaxy-pledge
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 09:54 PM   #48
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoolNitro View Post
Damn I'm loving the level of detail in that carrier, I admire the fact that the dev is going full attention to details, immersion, and simulation because imo this is the direction PC games of the future should be going. I hope that other developers take note.
Looooooooooong slooooowww clap to this quote right here, I wish dev's in the whole gaming community would understand this concept. It's summed up in one word, it's called "INNOVATION" freakin consolized mongoloid morons that work for companies like EA. That have about 0.0000012538 innovative brain cells in their body. That small percentage goes to the person(s) who made frostbite 2, but were held back by the crap management blah blah blahhhh.

Computer games should be so far ahead, (and easily could be right now) of all the silly console games. But cry about piracy taking all their precious monies away, yet forgetting there's a genius product out there called coughsteamcough that has easily proven they can sell PC games....blah blah...

JUST LOOK AT THE HYPE created when Black Mesa came out??? And it was a darn good computer game above about 90% of the crap games that are out there, and it was a RE-MAKE!?!
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:58 PM   #49
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

what does the level of detail of the object in a game has anything to do with console vs pc or innovation? it's called maximizing the capability of hardware and software.

and innovation? while I'm absolutely excited about this project, I know it's simply Freelancer on steroid with a probability of wing commander level of cinematic experience added in; can't see it being innovative since it's already been done before
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:14 AM   #50
CoolNitro
Radeon Volcanic Islands

CoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
what does the level of detail of the object in a game has anything to do with console vs pc or innovation? it's called maximizing the capability of hardware and software.

and innovation? while I'm absolutely excited about this project, I know it's simply Freelancer on steroid with a probability of wing commander level of cinematic experience added in; can't see it being innovative since it's already been done before
It's not the level of detail its the attention to detail that matters and not just in the texture and look of the world it's in the nitty gritty features that make it feel more complex and add to the immersion, such as the ability to control a ships systems as if it was a real ship, although it may be a hard core feature to turn off stabilizers and what not but the ability to actually have full control over ones ship adds a lot more depth.

It's that full / semi realistic, complex, in depth, and immersive experience that I would love to see in more games.
CoolNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:16 AM   #51
Saggypoo
Fun Police

Not to thread jack or anything, but anyone know of any decent space games to play around with while being hyped up about this one? I was going to download Black Prophecy again to see if it was improved at all, only to find it has shut down. Right now I'm stuck with thinking of playing through some of the classics, but didn't know if there were any newer games with flash graphics to eye hump while flying around.

Last edited by Saggypoo : Oct 12, 2012 at 02:18 AM.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:48 AM   #52
ATI FURY-OUS
WYSIWYG

ATI FURY-OUS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyATI FURY-OUS can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

watching the presentation he seems a really nice guy and is speaking out for a lot of PC gamers

Its a long wait now though for it, i hope he isnt forced into dumbing it down for consoles or what may come out in the next year or two

looking forward to this, if my 480 can run it, it should with it being the Cryengine
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:18 AM   #53
v3rninater
Rockin Broz!!!

v3rninater is still being judged by the masses

Quote:

Dude, you don't even know what the game is like, you assume it's like "freelancer on roids" but you don't know.

I'm saying it's innovative to go against what the system is now, take a good original game, dumb it down to where your kid sister can play it. Make the graphics look like it's cartoony bullcrap and then say it makes the game "more funner." Or let it be on a tablet/mobile phone and even more dumber'er.

Innovation usually goes against the grain of the mainstream, and sure is doing that so far at least. Making it PC only (afaik at this point) is also pretty "against the grain."

Definition of Innovative;

(of a product, idea, etc.) Featuring new methods; advanced and original.
(of a person) Introducing new ideas; original and creative in thinking: "an innovative thinker".

...just in case you didn't actually know
v3rninater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 09:07 AM   #54
Eisberg
Brrrrr

Eisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestEisberg considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

I cannot express in words the joy I am feeling right now.
When this game gets released, if it needs a joystick, I will finally be playing with my stick again
Eisberg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 02:44 PM   #55
Thorney
Radeon R520

Quote:
If Chris is correct in saying "10,000 faces" that's double the hero figure in Gears of War and five times the polys of Mass Effect 3's ManShep. That's horrifying to think about but supposedly CE3 scales really well. It's going into Xbox on the low end on up to top dollar PC rigs. Although I'm not seeing that scalability in Mechwarrior Online so far. They admit they are still running through rudimentary optimization passes like this last update. I can say that right? Those are public comments.

Quote:
I spent ten years upgrading hardware to keep up with Wing Commander series. I remember it was one of the very first games you could throw a 80386 at. He seems to still be very much in that mindset of, "Whatever the top hardware exists, that's what I'm going to use to make my game." He says he can now do what he always wanted to do - whatever it was that made Microsoft go pale in the face and buy out Digital Anvil just so they shove Freelancer out the door.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:41 PM   #56
spyre
ATI Beta Tester

spyre is still being judged by the masses

I pledged $60 + $5 international shipping. Looks great so far, for something no where near finished.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:28 PM   #57
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Is this on CryEngine3? I watched the video and there was no mention of what engine it was running.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2012, 06:29 PM   #58
Saggypoo
Fun Police

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Is this on CryEngine3? I watched the video and there was no mention of what engine it was running.
I think he mentions it's Cryengine in the 11 minute video on the actual site.

Also.. dynamic dynamic dynamic dynamic dynamic dynamic dynamic...

Good to see that's still a buzzword.

Edit: So yeah, I have no clue where it was said, but a bunch of articles are reporting it. No clue.

Last edited by Saggypoo : Oct 12, 2012 at 06:42 PM.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 03:09 AM   #59
Redeemed
Radeon Arctic Islands

Redeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmRedeemed achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saggypoo View Post
Not to thread jack or anything, but anyone know of any decent space games to play around with while being hyped up about this one? I was going to download Black Prophecy again to see if it was improved at all, only to find it has shut down. Right now I'm stuck with thinking of playing through some of the classics, but didn't know if there were any newer games with flash graphics to eye hump while flying around.
Hmm...

I've been having a blast with Evochron Mercenary and X3: Terran Conflict. Might try those out.
Quote:
Originally Posted by wabbitslayer View Post
congratulations on the anniversary of your emancipation from the Great Uterine Squeeze.
Quote:
Originally Posted by swingline View Post
There are two types of people in the world: those that are humble and those that will be.
Redeemed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2012, 04:42 AM   #60
Dwarden
Bohemia Interactive

Dwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDwarden can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Nexus 2 and this and Miner Wars ... oh hell yes ... now please someone say HomeWorld 3 is PC game w/o DUMBED DOWN style

btw. i hope authors if Independence Wars series will finally crowdfund the IWAR3
needed CCC features == online up2date Game profiles or ALL features of ATT / RadeonPro (if you fail deliver don't even try say You got technical advantage)
Dwarden is offline   Reply With Quote