Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old May 8, 2013, 12:36 PM   #91
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

TS Info: 193.200.158.226:9991
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 8, 2013, 03:08 PM   #92
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

I might have to try out IL2 cliffs of dover now. Some old school prop plane dog fights would be awesome.
Old May 8, 2013, 04:45 PM   #93
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

WOO Just got done taking out two SU-27's vs Me in the F-15c.

Exhilerating. I need to record this stuff, might pick up FRAPS. You guys could give me tips and stuff.

Just to be sure, the AIM-120c is fire&forget, correct? I can fire that, turn off my Radar and turn out, right?
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 8, 2013, 05:04 PM   #94
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

HyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled withHyperNovae is not someone to be trifled with

Aim 120c is fire and forget I am almost 100% sure.

You should try the mod I was telling you about earlier I think it's multiplayer compatible. It really makes the cockpits look a lot better and the plane model upgrades are nice.
Old May 8, 2013, 05:11 PM   #95
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Yeah I'll check it out.

Trying to find a video recording program that doesn't suck like FRAPS. 30 second limit my ass..
Old May 8, 2013, 06:37 PM   #96
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Yeah I'll check it out.

Trying to find a video recording program that doesn't suck like FRAPS. 30 second limit my ass..
There's other ways to get fraps and it has unlimited recording. Beware though fraps recordings are HUGE. Literally a gig every 30 seconds.

Here's some F-15 shots from the mod.

I really need to buy FC3, I think I will get it either tomorrow or friday. I need those redone cockpits that are actually fully 3d and 6DOF. If you think that F-15 pit from the mod looks good the one in FC3 is stunning.
Old May 8, 2013, 09:44 PM   #97
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Got MSI Afterburner working. Will fly a little later and give it a shot.
Tried against x2 SU-27's and took one down before the other got me. Was a good fight though. I went radar off and hid for a bit, but he was waiting for me when I popped it back on.

I just got done recording a nice little scrap with x2 SU-27's. Took them both down without a scratch
Recorded it, and the damn thing is 54GB! I even recorded at a lowly 720p. I'm going to upload to youtube and let that take its time. I think it's because I have it recording uncompressed. Woops!

Yeah.. Youtube says over 400 minutes to upload. I'm going to not do that, go to sleep, and just record a new one tomorrow using compression.

Last edited by Nunz : May 8, 2013 at 11:51 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 01:23 AM   #98
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Aim 120c is fire and forget I am almost 100% sure.
Not quite. The Aim 120 has a smaller radar than the F15 and usually has to get closer to the target before it can achieve lock for itself. For best results you should guide the AIM 120 until it goes "Pitbull".

There is a counter at the top of the radar display that counts down and the closer you can get that to zero the better otherwise the missile will fly blind for the remaining seconds and may end up unable to locate its target or even lock onto the wrong target.

John C Flett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 04:28 AM   #99
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

g-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

yeah it's best to keep a lock as long as possible.

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

Also for recording, i've tried many , Dxtrory is best.

Use the dxtory codec, framehit is literally 2 or 3 frames.

Files are big of course, so don't record on your main drive.

Record 10 seconds of video (30 fps , 1280x720) at medium quality. See how big the file is, divide by 10 and check if your recording hard drive can write that fast.

Then, either use the free Windows Movie Maker to render the video , or Vegas Pro .

Because you HAVE to render the video's after to reduce the size.

This video went from 65 gigs, to 2.4 gigs after rendering . And remember, i was only recording @ 1280x720 .

Qualtiy is decent enough for a 30 minute video

Rendering the video file with a video editor is a MUST.

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
COrsair 8GB DDR3 1600 mhz
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Coolermaster 1000 watt PSU
Samsung w840(?) SSD
http://www.tweakguides.com/Piracy_1.html

Martin Slater, 2K games, (Bioshock) about piracy:
"You can't afford to be cracked. As soon as you're gone, you're gone, and your sales drop astronomically if you've got a day-one crack"

Last edited by g-a-m-e : May 9, 2013 at 04:37 AM.
g-a-m-e is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 09:45 AM   #100
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by John C Flett View Post
Not quite. The Aim 120 has a smaller radar than the F15 and usually has to get closer to the target before it can achieve lock for itself. For best results you should guide the AIM 120 until it goes "Pitbull".

There is a counter at the top of the radar display that counts down and the closer you can get that to zero the better otherwise the missile will fly blind for the remaining seconds and may end up unable to locate its target or even lock onto the wrong target.
I thought that was the case. I just see guys popping off 120s and instantly breaking left all the time. I think they do it just to get a missile tone on the enemy to scare them.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:14 AM   #101
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

I was just reading around the web and came across a Oculos Rift article and just thought to myself how amazing these games would be with that. Actually beeming your head around as you look for enemy planes.
Old May 9, 2013, 10:25 AM   #102
John C Flett
Grumpy Bunny

John C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete strangerJohn C Flett once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
I thought that was the case. I just see guys popping off 120s and instantly breaking left all the time. I think they do it just to get a missile tone on the enemy to scare them.
That is an option, however bear in mind that the radar scans 60 degrees each side. Launch and sharp turn is a valid tactic as it reduces your closure rate rapidly making it harder for the enemy to fire back and if you can keep the enemy on the edge of your radar scan your still providing target info to the missile in flight.

John C Flett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 9, 2013, 12:28 PM   #103
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

g-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyg-a-m-e can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

In most situations, your aim-120 will go active as soon as it leaves your plane.

I mean, you mostly fire at a range your missile has a chance of hitting the enemy, which is anywhere between 20 and 10 miles.

"in range" doesn't mean sh^t . When you get a launch authorization, you are at the very edge of your missile's capability.

Meaning, the missile only has enough energy to reach your target, if nothing changes during the whole way there.

So if your enemy manouvres just a little bit even, your missile will bleed out of energy and not reach your enemy, or will have lost too much speed to follow the enemy's movement.

You will find that the missile range is pretty short actually. Even when fired < 20 miles, your enemy still has plenty of time to just turn around and outrun your missile. Hell, maybe even < 10 miles.

In your radar screen, there is an indicator of your missiles "death zone" , when it's there and you fire yoru missile, your enemy has almost no chance to get away .

But you very rarely get to fire at that close distance.

So, the whole trick is, to find out what the best time to fire is. You have to feel out how much time you got , and get as close as possible while you still have room to manouvre away from enemy missile.

Its a game of chicken really when it's 1 vs 1

Anyone who plays, should install "tacview" . It's absolutely vital , to see and learn what happened after a fight, and to get an idea of the distances and your missiles capabilities.

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

"You can't afford to be cracked. As soon as you're gone, you're gone, and your sales drop astronomically if you've got a day-one crack"

Last edited by g-a-m-e : May 9, 2013 at 12:32 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:38 PM   #104
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by g-a-m-e View Post
In most situations, your aim-120 will go active as soon as it leaves your plane.

I mean, you mostly fire at a range your missile has a chance of hitting the enemy, which is anywhere between 20 and 10 miles.

"in range" doesn't mean sh^t . When you get a launch authorization, you are at the very edge of your missile's capability.

Meaning, the missile only has enough energy to reach your target, if nothing changes during the whole way there.

So if your enemy manouvres just a little bit even, your missile will bleed out of energy and not reach your enemy, or will have lost too much speed to follow the enemy's movement.

You will find that the missile range is pretty short actually. Even when fired < 20 miles, your enemy still has plenty of time to just turn around and outrun your missile. Hell, maybe even < 10 miles.

In your radar screen, there is an indicator of your missiles "death zone" , when it's there and you fire yoru missile, your enemy has almost no chance to get away .

But you very rarely get to fire at that close distance.

So, the whole trick is, to find out what the best time to fire is. You have to feel out how much time you got , and get as close as possible while you still have room to manouvre away from enemy missile.

Its a game of chicken really when it's 1 vs 1

Anyone who plays, should install "tacview" . It's absolutely vital , to see and learn what happened after a fight, and to get an idea of the distances and your missiles capabilities.
You're 100% right with everything you just mentioned. Me and nunz played yesterday and were in close range, we both fired missiles and both died.

What you said about the launch authorized being at the missiles very edge of capabilities couldn't be more true. Most of the time firing that first 120 is just to get your opponent to start maneuvering so you can get the upperhand. Also I did see that tacview mod you mentions last night I was going to download it but decided to go to sleep. I will check it out today.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:45 PM   #105
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

Yep , altough i personally try to get close with him being bugged on TWS mode radar.

Problem in multiplayer is, that they'll just turn around and run away if you fire first

Me included btw. If i get fired at, and i don't have him on my radar i just turn around and run immidately

One vs One is good practice though, if you agree not to run away and only bring 1 or 2 aim 120's, and 2 sidewinders

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Old May 9, 2013, 12:50 PM   #106
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Hyper, can you post the mods you're using? Just got Tacview, gonna fly a bit now.

Also, uploading a video. Got it down to 5.4GB with MSI Afterburners compression system. Should be done in 40min. On this flight, I fire two AIM-120's and neither of them connect despite lock until Pitbull. I am eventually shot down and the only casualty.
Old May 9, 2013, 12:51 PM   #107
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

If you need instructions on how to use tacview let me know

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Old May 9, 2013, 12:56 PM   #108
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Do tell! I have it set to "Record FC2 Flights", but I'm not sure if that's all I need to set?
Old May 9, 2013, 12:58 PM   #109
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

well, that's basically it LoL .

Then when you want to see it, go to "file" (usb picture) , drop down menu "open" your last file.

Press play and enjoy . You can fast forward and stuff and jump to other parts in timeline but ti's pretty self explanatory

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Old May 9, 2013, 01:08 PM   #110
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

First off you're going to want to copy and paste your install folder anywhere out of your program files, I just put it in C:, Next up you wanna grab Modman 7.3 here, http://www.digitalcombatsimulator.com/en/files/108/

Next up I have the Jointpack 2.1 installed with modman you can grab it here "direct DL link"

http://rjt1.fatcow.com/lockonfiles.com/A10-F15-Su27%20Jointpack%20Extended%20RC2.1.zip

If you have any questions on how to use modman let me know.

I also have a sound mod for the game that can be gotten here.

http://www.backup.lockonfiles.com/FE...On%20FC2.1.zip

Also if you have any shortcuts to start FC2 from the original install you're gunna want to copy those and use them for your new install in C, just change the shortcut target and start in lines.
Old May 9, 2013, 02:07 PM   #111
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Mods look great and sound great!

Tacview is phenomenal. Wow! I didn't realize I was dodging half those missiles

Here's a video from the first flight today. No kills for me, but take a peek.

Last edited by Nunz : May 9, 2013 at 02:15 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 03:42 PM   #112
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

2 targets, press "alt +i" to go into TWS mode , so you can engage them both at the same time.

Then, when you get close and haven't killed them yet, press "3" for vertical scan mode ("dogfight mode") .

It's far superior to the other modes you tried after BVR. (bore and that other mode, was it flood mode ?) .
Vertical scan mode has a range of 10 miles if i remember correctly, AND it changes the scan cone from horizontal to vertical.
Super advantagous when doing manouvres as you have a much bigger chance of auto-locking your target.

In older versions of lomac i once read that the A.I can pull abnormal high G's , and that they are always aware when they're fired at, even if they shouldn't be.
(they would go evasive after an IR missile shot at them for instance, without radar lock) .

Snaking and holding target on radar was ok as far as i can see.
Also going low (thicker air, increase enemy missile drag thus reducing it's range considerably) is also good.

Oh, and at longer range when you get locked, press "E" for eletronic countermeasures (radar jammer)

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Old May 9, 2013, 03:59 PM   #113
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Thanks!

I'm trying to figure out a way to upload the footage of my last dogfight along with the TacView. I had a phenomenal duke out where I took out the first SU-27 with an AIM-120c (splash), and then dropped off radar and lowered my altitude. Swung around, fired an AIM-120b at the second SU-27, but he dodged it. He fired at me multiple times, and eventually I got cornered between two missiles.

My problem right now is that I am not aware of missile position when they are incoming. I'm getting rather lucky in the way I'm barely evading missiles. I have no clue I dodged an enemy missile until I watch it in TacView and say, "Holy **** that was close!"

I left BVR accidentally in that video. When I turn off my radar it switches my weapon to the AIM-7 and I believe that is bore mode. I was so busy trying to haul ass out of there I forgot to switch back to the AIM-120b and get out of bore.

BTW - is "E" a toggle? How long should I keep the radar jammer running?

I have a button setup on my X52 for TWS mode but I haven't been able to get it to work. I think I have to set it up as a Macro because it's a two-button press.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:13 PM   #114
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

Yeah you need vegas pro or something alike , so you can do picture in picture.
I don't think moviemaker can do it.

Missile evasion, dont worry about it lol, it will keep being 75% guess work, at least with me and i'm guessing with 99% of people. The first missile, you can kind of get an idea of how close it is, but after more missiles start flying, it becomes a matter of luck, and maybe if playing a lot, maybe some sort of feeling for it or something .

E is a toggle yes. In old version, you can see a little red light go on. Range of effective jam is about the effective range of the missiles, so it's really not THAT usefull .
But, it gets rid of the annoying lock tone for a while to keep stress levels down :d , AND, in multiplayer, they wont be able to get a fix on your height or how far away you are, so if you get locked, turn it on, change altitude, and turn it back off again. Sometimes they won't find you on their radar again in time youi went out of their radar cone and they can't figure out where you are, while they are adjusting their radar, you might get a missile towards them .
The downside is, that they can lock on the jam , so once you get close you need to turn it off because you get no warning when someone fires at your jamming signal.

Another downside is, that if you are NOT being seen by enemy radar yet, they sure will know you are there once you turn the jammer on.

And you can very easily bind a flight-stick button to "tws mode", in the game option itself. Just like with any FPS basically.

Just tested a game against an emeny A.I Mig-29s . Fired missile in TWS mode, looks like enemy didn't even try to avoid my missile he just flew straight into it . I guess they made some changes to the A.I

edit* Yep he did, but way too late. Just like it should be with TWS mode.

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Last edited by g-a-m-e : May 9, 2013 at 04:17 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:16 PM   #115
Nunz
RIP Roxen

I am trying to bind it to a special function on the X52. Pinkie + Fire A.

Anyway, this was seriously a really fun flight and I'm going to upload the video to youtube. It's over 6 minutes long of war! Wish I could get the PiP so you could see the TacView, because I made some impressive moves that you can't really see too well in just the video. Maybe if I upload the TacView as a separate video and you guys can watch them together.. not sure.

What's the point of using STT mode if TWS gives a later warning?

Last edited by Nunz : May 9, 2013 at 04:18 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:23 PM   #116
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

STT mode, well, not much ... I personally never use it.

STT mode does follow your target automatically, so you don't have to adjust your scan zone . But adjusting scan zone is super easy because you get a very clear indication of target's height. Just keep that point on the radar screen in the middle of your scan zone.

Oh and the lock is supposed to be a bit stronger in STT mode, and the scan zone wider . (last part only goes for Flaming Cliffs 3 i think)

Also, look up on youtube how to get Vegas Pro for really cheap

Also i'm not sure if the TWS gives the missile launch signal later, but i am sure it gives no lock-on tone previous of the actual launch. And you can shoot at multiple baddies at once.

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Last edited by g-a-m-e : May 9, 2013 at 04:28 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:29 PM   #117
Nunz
RIP Roxen

That's what I meant about TWS vs STT -- that TWS doesn't give a lock-on tone. Makes it incredibly more dangerous!
STT likely has a more powerful lock. That would make sense. I enjoy the challenge of STT only against 2 boggies. I'll give TWS a shot later today when I can get back on.

I'm uploading the video of my battle and another video with the "TacView" of it.
EDIT: Wait, it won't allow me to upload just the TacView.

Oh well. I looked like such a badass when you watch it with TacView!

Last edited by Nunz : May 9, 2013 at 04:32 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:35 PM   #118
g-a-m-e
oh yeah

oh and check out this guys channel ...

"ralfidude"

Many sweet vids

Guys are insane lol ...

i7 3770K (4,8 ghz)
GTX 1080 Ti
BenQ XL 2540
Samsung w840(?) SSD

Last edited by g-a-m-e : May 9, 2013 at 04:42 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 04:58 PM   #119
Nunz
RIP Roxen

That guy is insane.. pretty sick stuff!

This video was pretty cool, from Ralfi:

Last edited by Nunz : May 9, 2013 at 05:12 PM.
Old May 9, 2013, 07:48 PM   #120
HyperNovae
RIP Roxen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
That guy is insane.. pretty sick stuff!

This video was pretty cool, from Ralfi:

Awesome video.

Nunz what are you using to record again?