Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Sep 2, 2010, 10:20 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Default Path of Exile (Free Action RPG)

Not sure if this will be worth the play time, but the animations of the skills and combat look quite goode.

http://www.pathofexile.com/video/action-trailer/play#

For those of you to lame to check out the site, it is a dark themed Diablo-like multiplayer game.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 01:18 PM   #2
saumilsingh
Radeon Northern Islands

saumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete strangersaumilsingh once held a door open for a complete stranger

Looks very nice. Almost exactly like D2 in 3D.
saumilsingh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 4, 2010, 02:58 PM   #3
CoolNitro
Radeon Volcanic Islands

CoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete strangerCoolNitro once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by saumilsingh View Post
Looks very nice. Almost exactly like D2 in 3D.
Indeed in fact it looks like what I would have expected D3 to look like before they changed the art style.
CoolNitro is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 4, 2010, 08:38 PM   #4
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

Yeah, the quality of the free stuff coming out next year is amazing! Next year (ironically if the world ends in 2012) will be the best year of gaming for quite a while!
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:50 AM   #5
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Anyone playing in the open beta weekend?
globalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 07:10 AM   #6
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

There is a thread about it (well the beta I guess):
http://www.rage3d.com/board/showthread.php?t=33985227

Played the beta quite a lot until I hit the endgame, my Dualist and the spec I was using was a breeze up until I hit maelstrom of Chaos, where it did not work at all.
And the XP penalty at that level when you die made it entirely unviable to try to level in Maelstrom with that character.

So I kinda trailed off on other games.

Great game though, had a lot more fun with it then the D3 beta, largely since there is a ton of content in Path and very little in the D3 beta.
Some great ideas and concepts, slotted skill gems, passive talent tree and the customization to everything with all the orbs.
One thing I did mind is the rigidity of the Passive tree, when the active skills are so readily swapped out.
Respeccing the passives is a ton of grind (cept for the few respec points you get in quests).
Which in turn makes it hard to try for example dual wielding after speccing hard towards 2h weapons, outside of starting another Dualist char from scratch which they´ve stated is their philosophy regarding that stuff.
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:00 PM   #7
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

globalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyglobalist can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Tried the game, it feels very much like Diablo 2.5. Not something I really wanna play at this point in my life.

Also, can't believe PoE does not have damage numbers - game feels very lacking without them.

Lvl9 and already bored, hmmmm...
Old Mar 31, 2012, 01:50 PM   #8
Sir Duke
Radeon R700

Sir Duke can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySir Duke can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

i was in the close beta, got 1 character through the easiest difficulty. then got bored.
Sir Duke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 31, 2012, 04:09 PM   #9
globalist
Rage3D Veteran

In fact I was so fed up with the game at one point towards the end of my play test that instead of clearing and exploring a new zone I just ran past all the mobs in it until I found the entrance to the next zone (which I eventually ran through as well, lol).

2 problems with that:

1) a good ARPG should not allow you to do that
2) a good ARPG should not MAKE me wanna do that
Old May 10, 2012, 01:00 AM   #10
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

been trying to get a beta key for this game for some time now, but i didn't manage . today i got a mail that they're having an open beta weekend from the 11th to the 13th (this weekend). if anyone is interested,

http://www.pathofexile.com/publicweekend/
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 01:53 AM   #11
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

lol everyone having open beta before diablo 3 is out

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 10, 2012, 02:33 AM   #12
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

yea, i can hardly muster up any interest in it now. i really wanted to play it a few weeks ago but now there's no point with diablo 3 here.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 26, 2012, 08:54 AM   #13
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Has anyone re-visited this after playing Diablo 3? There's a lot of talk about it on the battle.net forums.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:35 AM   #14
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Will test it when the open beta starts soon. But it seems a bit complicated for an arpg for my liking, the passive tree, how skills work, etc
But havent tried it so I may be wrong and its streamlined to be easy to understand without reading a wall of text

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

- True Blood
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:47 AM   #15
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ViN86 once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Will test it when the open beta starts soon. But it seems a bit complicated for an arpg for my liking, the passive tree, how skills work, etc
But havent tried it so I may be wrong and its streamlined to be easy to understand without reading a wall of text
Did you play Diablo 2? As long as there's a way to fix mistakes, skill trees are a lot of fun and offer a lot of breadth and depth to classes. Currently you can spend $10 to support the game and get into the beta. I may do that tonight.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 09:56 AM   #16
badboy
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by ViN86 View Post
Did you play Diablo 2? As long as there's a way to fix mistakes, skill trees are a lot of fun and offer a lot of breadth and depth to classes. Currently you can spend $10 to support the game and get into the beta. I may do that tonight.
I have no problem with skill tree, i loved d2. But have you seen the passive tree? Its lika a damn universe map with dots.
And the skills are gems sockated in gear that lvl up and change abilities depending how you socket them. Yes it gives Lots and lots and lots of customization but seems overly complicated.

But as I said havent tried the game so I dont know. This is just what I read on their site

- True Blood
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:13 AM   #17
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
I have no problem with skill tree, i loved d2. But have you seen the passive tree? Its lika a damn universe map with dots.
Old Jun 26, 2012, 10:50 AM   #18
badboy
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
yeah I know about ff. Played it, but I didnt care where I put my points in FF. I just pressed

- True Blood
Old Jun 26, 2012, 11:13 AM   #19
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

Quote:
And the skills are gems sockated in gear that lvl up and change abilities depending how you socket them. Yes it gives Lots and lots and lots of customization but seems overly complicated.

But as I said havent tried the game so I dont know. This is just what I read on their site
People have been playing quite a bit already, so you should be able to research the path you want to take. I don't mind spending more time researching if it means more options.
Old Jul 6, 2012, 06:17 AM   #20
Jaillum Malord
Simplify Mufugha

Jaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJaillum Malord can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I discovered it yesterday by chance while browsing through IGN's Free to Play article and so far i like the game although the skill points system is extremely daunting at first but discovering all the detail is half the fun

Jaillum Malord is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 11:52 AM   #21
Rambozo
Making Hit Documentaries

Rambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete strangerRambozo once held a door open for a complete stranger

I've been playing this the past couple of days. I very much like it. The art direction is almost exactly what I want out of an action rpg, gritty. The cartoony, or anime type graphics really kill it for me. I'd rather play a game based off of the D&D universe, though simple action RPGs in that realm are more limited to consoles. I loved the Baldurs gate games on console.

With this, I now have no desire to play D3. D3 never appeared to be the ideal successor. It seems they borrowed too much from WOW in terms of the art direction, and that just doesn't seem like diablo to me.

Anyway, I'm digging Path of Exile. It's dark and gritty. I like that.

Not my fault, I voted Ron Paul.

Not my fault, I voted Badnarik.
Rambozo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 05:38 PM   #22
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rambozo View Post
I've been playing this the past couple of days. I very much like it. The art direction is almost exactly what I want out of an action rpg, gritty. The cartoony, or anime type graphics really kill it for me. I'd rather play a game based off of the D&D universe, though simple action RPGs in that realm are more limited to consoles. I loved the Baldurs gate games on console.

With this, I now have no desire to play D3. D3 never appeared to be the ideal successor. It seems they borrowed too much from WOW in terms of the art direction, and that just doesn't seem like diablo to me.

Anyway, I'm digging Path of Exile. It's dark and gritty. I like that.
Actually the diablo 3 art, is pretty goode, it's just like Diablo 2 (when actually playing) but in 3d rather than half 3d/2d D2 was. All those complaints went unfounded after all. The big let down, is the skills. The skills them selves are decent. but not putting points in yourselves REALLY sucks... even worse is the damage modifiers... NONE of the skills give you any actual info except a description and some un modifiable time stats... my intelligence increases my skill damage by 400%? ok... 400 percent of what though?

I picked up Darkspore... it's sooo much better than diablo 3... i really regret buying diablo 3 now. Not because i don't enjoy it mind, but because i bought it full australian price, at 90 dollars...
Old Jul 6, 2012, 06:59 PM   #23
Poacan
Boobs

Poacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyPoacan can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Been looking at the dev videos for this game, I think I'm gonna go this route.
Poacan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 6, 2012, 07:34 PM   #24
ViN86
Drinking your milkshake

I think I'm going to drop the $10 next week for early access and to support the devs.

I've been watching a lot of videos and it looks pretty awesome.
Old Jul 8, 2012, 04:58 AM   #25
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Mickey Padge is still being judged by the masses

Great game, a few glitches and bugs, but it has that addictive quality that pulls me back, a long, LONG time since a game did that
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:10 AM   #26
badboy
Merc with a mouth

Can anyone explain skills? Is it easy or complicated? Its the only thing holding me back.
I read about em on the site and I was just wtf

- True Blood
Old Jul 8, 2012, 08:58 AM   #27
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Quote:
Can anyone explain skills? Is it easy or complicated? Its the only thing holding me back.
Int, Dex, and Str are based on three different colours, weapons and armour have sockets in them (more sockets the better), with those aforementioned colours. Pop a coloured skill crystal into a matching colour socket on anything equipped and your done

The skill crystals can be found or earnt via quests, and they level with use and can be sold on etc.....
Old Jul 8, 2012, 09:07 AM   #28
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
A skill is just a skill, but it´s on a gem.
As such, pretty simple really, for example some str based skills:
http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/strength
Like Cleave, pretty evident.

The gem has a color, a red gem goes into a red socket, and can be removed/moved at any time without cost.
A red Gem is associated with Strength, so it cannot level passed your str attribute.
Gems get XP when you do, and level up to become stronger.

You got a bunch of support gems, that can be linked to a skill gem in linked sockets on items.
That will enhance the skill, but also usually increase the mana cost of the skill.
http://www.pathofexile.com/skills/supportgems
Like adding Chaos Damage to Cleave, or Blood Magic to make the cleave ability use Life Instead of Mana (there is a passive Talent called Blood Magic that does this globaly).

So there are a lot of places to find synergy.
Between the Passive talent tree, gear, skill gems and support gems.

Last edited by jolle : Jul 8, 2012 at 09:08 AM. Reason: adding quote of post responding to.
jolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 8, 2012, 09:08 AM   #29
badboy
Merc with a mouth

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mickey Padge View Post
Int, Dex, and Str are based on three different colours, weapons and armour have sockets in them (more sockets the better), with those aforementioned colours. Pop a coloured skill crystal into a matching colour socket on anything equipped and your done

The skill crystals can be found or earnt via quests, and they level with use and can be sold on etc.....
Yeah I knew that. But it seems like a hassel. With gems, lvl on them and changing them, putting in differant gems leveling them, chaning how the skill work by putting in different gems .

If someone is far enough in the game that can say if its complicated or you can just run through and spend minimal of time thinking about it. I hate overly advanced arpg. Its all about action and I dont want to think to much and research stuff

- True Blood
Old Jul 8, 2012, 09:41 AM   #30
Mickey Padge
Radeon R700

Quote:
Yeah I knew that. But it seems like a hassel. With gems, lvl on them and changing them, putting in differant gems leveling them, chaning how the skill work by putting in different gems .

If someone is far enough in the game that can say if its complicated or you can just run through and spend minimal of time thinking about it. I hate overly advanced arpg. Its all about action and I dont want to think to much and research stuff
Sounds like you want to play console games?

Why not drop the measly $10 down and play the game? I mean, it's only $10