Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:24 PM   #181
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
zodiak
YAWK YAWK YAWK

zodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyzodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyzodiak can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofslackerz View Post
Totally agree, too much color, Diablo is meant to be dark and gritty. Someone email blizzard, QUICK

Linkage to that original article, like the pirate said

Edit: http://www.diablofans.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9283

Look how dark and gritty it is, yet the textures are defined and still rich in color, dark colors.

Granted the vid we saw is no where near as cartoonie as WoW, but it is a step in that direction, which I'm not too much of a fan of.
Every subsequent Diablo has been more cartoony. Compare DII to Diablo and notice how much more dark Diablo was. The second was toned down quite a bit and had a more toony look. This is just the next step. I wish they'd go back to D1's dark and gloomy look, but what are you going to do.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 03:57 PM   #182
Supra_Freak
I did this to your momma!

Supra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled withSupra_Freak is not someone to be trifled with

I for one will enjoy the updated graphics and physics that go along with the new "Cartoony" look that so many people are complaining about. Its still dark, sure its not as dark as the Original Diablo but who cares? honestly! its been how long since Diablo 2 came out and finally we have Diablo 3, quit bitching about the graphics and be happy at the fact that there making it. Otherwise, go back to playing Diablo 2 and dont even touch Diablo 3 if you oh so hate the new look... i think it looks amazing!!

Supra_Freak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:15 PM   #183
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

I´ve always liked Blizzards toony style, not only does it look really good, it works great without the need to bring a modern system to its knees, as much of it is simply great texture work.

But, that said, they have 2 fantasy universes, Warcraft is colorful and toony and has always been so, Diablo is the darker grittier universe, without the elves, gnomes and orcs, afaik its humans and assorted hellspawn (and the occational cow), in burnt down villages, ruined cathedrals and dungeons..
So in that respect, it might have been nice if they had gone with a more raw and gritty graphical style for Diablo 3.

But its not that big a deal, and this way its most certainly going to be cheaper on everyone saving them from having to upgrade.
By the look of the video, enviroments are pretty lowpoly, characters are in line with WOW polycount and texture resolution, which isnt much (to be expected on games featuring hordes of enemies)
I wouldnt mind if they upped that stuff before launch, which I spose they might.. but it still looks pretty great, and seems like fun.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 30, 2008, 04:31 PM   #184
Koenig
He wo hitte

Koenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete strangerKoenig once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by McTurok View Post
I'm sorry but arguing about liking to manage "inventories/mules" is just stupid and a disgrace to this thread.

I wonder if they loved doing inventory at their respective jobs.

"I just can't wait to see how many boxes of condiments we will recieve next shipment compared to how many we have currently!"

屁をひつて尻窄め "Breaking wind, closing buttocks" - Japanese Proverb

www.angelman.org
www.cureangelman.org
Koenig is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:02 PM   #185
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

kingofslackerz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
watched the high quality gameplay video last night and man i was blown away (those crappy youtube ones don't do the game a shred of justice)...

the art style is absolutely amazing... and yet people are already complaining about the game and it's graphics . they're probably the same crew who think crysis is the best game ever made. here's a hint, stop being negative about a game that just got announced. if you're not going to play it because of the graphics then there's no hope for you anyway
You obviously have no idea, or read the threads I linked, what's going on. We're not complaining because the graphics are bad, or need to run better, etc. And comparing this argument to crysis is just dump.

The mood and style of the game is completely different than the first two. It's a gothic, emo dark game. Not a fun cartoon textured autumn leafy lets go play in the leaves game.

I could hardly care about graphics or lack thereof, I care about style and feel while I'm playing. FFS the efffing barb in full gear looks like an damn orc from WoW.

Quote:
Originally Posted by zodiak View Post
Every subsequent Diablo has been more cartoony. Compare DII to Diablo and notice how much more dark Diablo was. The second was toned down quite a bit and had a more toony look. This is just the next step. I wish they'd go back to D1's dark and gloomy look, but what are you going to do.
Diablo 1

http://www-users.mat.uni.torun.pl/&#...ng/diablo1.jpg

Diablo 2

Diablo 3

World of Warcraft

It's pretty much changed into the WoW style.
kingofslackerz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:08 PM   #186
wc326
Radeon Arctic Islands

wc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultywc326 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

yup it does look like WOW .
CS:S Office Server IP: 66.151.138.37:27015

http://sc2sig.com/s/sea/91428-1.png
wc326 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:11 PM   #187
jolle
Hipster Dufus

jolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyjolle can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Well, WOW art style builds on Warcraft 3.
http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gal...mage.asp/142/2
Which in turn is a style that evolved from Warcraft 1, through WC2.
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/warcraf....html?id=46870

So it IS a traditional long running Blizzard art style, not just WOW..

Further back you got:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RockNRollRacing2.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Vikings

Last edited by jolle : Jun 30, 2008 at 05:13 PM.
jolle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 05:16 PM   #188
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by jolle View Post
Well, WOW art style builds on Warcraft 3.
http://www.firingsquad.com/media/gal...mage.asp/142/2
Which in turn is a style that evolved from Warcraft 1, through WC2.
http://www.gamershell.com/pc/warcraf....html?id=46870

So it IS a traditional long running Blizzard art style, not just WOW..

Further back you got:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Image:RockNRollRacing2.png
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Lost_Vikings
So what you're trying to say is, it doesn't look like Diablo? Or it does.

Blizzard has had a couple of games, diablo always looked different. Not anymore
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:13 PM   #189
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

So what, the game is going to be great no matter what. I mean they've done the same look for 2 games. maybe its time for a change? The look wasnt what immersed me anyway, it was the SOUND. now if the sound is excellent, fk the graphics or how it looks. the music and effects is what made diablo, diablo.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:19 PM   #190
Drift3r
Radeon R600

Drift3r is still being judged by the masses

I seriously don't see how people can compare D3's graphics to WoW's. Oh well I guess some folks are just looking for something to nag about and won't be happy until they ruin it for themselves. Honestly I love D3's update graphics and they look very nice with out getting all emo with grays and brown and yet they aren't eye blinding bright with color as you see in WoW.
Drift3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:20 PM   #191
Jet Black
Radeon Sea Islands

Jet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird singsJet Black knows why the caged bird sings

I totally expected Diablo III to look similar to WoW. Really, all WoW provided was the lore and the geography, a lot of the remainder was all taken rightout of Diablo... set items, some of the characters and their attacks, etc... I honestly don't mind, though. Blizzard craps out better stuff than most developers put actual work into.
Jet Black is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 06:54 PM   #192
RavenX
Radeon 2000 Ultra

RavenX is still being judged by the masses

It will support Havoc engine which means it is optimized for ATI video cards.
RavenX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:07 PM   #193
fyreprone
Radeon R420

fyreprone is still being judged by the masses

Really I'd say it's pretty early to judge Diablo3.
fyreprone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 08:10 PM   #194
bounty_hunter
Radeon Arctic Islands

bounty_hunter is still being judged by the masses

I laugh at these complaints because you buggers are still going to buy them game.

system sepcs: Ultra X-Finity 500W ATX PS w/2 80mm Fans-Athlon-64 3400+ - GigaByte K8NS nForce-3 250 Chipset- ATI Radeon X800-Pro 256MB-Western Digital 200 GB 7200 RPM-dvd 16x-sony dvd rw dw-d22a
once in the 70's i tried boy scout cookies, they tasted weird and confusing. -logen
bounty_hunter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:01 PM   #195
kingofslackerz
busy doing nothin

Quote:
Originally Posted by bounty_hunter View Post
I laugh at these complaints because you buggers are still going to buy them game.
Of course we are, but still, I'm not happy with the style their presenting so far.

Quote:
I seriously don't see how people can compare D3's graphics to WoW's. Oh well I guess some folks are just looking for something to nag about and won't be happy until they ruin it for themselves. Honestly I love D3's update graphics and they look very nice with out getting all emo with grays and brown and yet they aren't eye blinding bright with color as you see in WoW.
All you @!#holes claiming we're just complaining to complain can kiss my ass.

Some of us played diablo for different reasons. I for one hand loved the gritty gothic feel along with the blood and all the gore. You may have loved it for w/e other reason.

Point is, I'm not happy with the style, and I'm pointing out why I'm not.
If you're not going to have a discussion about it, and are just going to complain about us/me arguing, please, just shutup already.

Last edited by kingofslackerz : Jun 30, 2008 at 10:32 PM.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:08 PM   #196
Drift3r
Radeon R600

Drift3r is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by kingofslackerz View Post
Of course we are, but still, I'm not happy with the style their presenting so far.

All you @!#holes claiming we're just complaining to complain can kiss my ass.

Some of us played diablo for different reasons. I for one hand loved the gritty gothic feel along with the blood and all the gore. You may have loved it for w/e other reason.

Point is, I'm not happy with the style, and I'm pointing out why I'm not.
If you're not going to have a discussion about it, and are just going to complain about us/me arguing, please, just shutup already.
Okay we get it already stop your crying. Shhhesh...talk about nerd rage.

Last edited by Drift3r : Jun 30, 2008 at 11:13 PM.
Drift3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:10 PM   #197
KAC
That postcount though...

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Why do people like Diablo. I never played the games...
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:28 PM   #198
dawdler
Radeon Caribbean Islands

dawdler is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drift3r View Post
I seriously don't see how people can compare D3's graphics to WoW's.
I seriously dont see how they CANT compare with it. Even that new "witch doctor" is a colorfull version of the WoW troll instead of an pseudo-evil necromancer (and we all know necromancers are cool!).

Personally I think its quite simple: Diablo 3 should be darker than these photos and have a more bloody atmosphere. It looks very sterile in a 3D-ish way. Maybe they cant do better in terms of artwork... But at least they could tone down the ambient light.
dawdler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 30, 2008, 11:48 PM   #199
MadMartigan
Radeon Southern Islands

MadMartigan is still being judged by the masses

It looks like something between D2 and WoW, it doesn't look gritty, but also doesn't look cartoony like WoW, it looks like like WoW painted concept art. It has a specific watercolor look. I like it.
Especialy since D2 always was simply ugly as sin to me, sure, it looked dark and gritty, but I always thought it was the one sole Blizzard game with weak art quality
A scarab is captured; ink is released.
Life is taken; and Age is given

D`ni
MadMartigan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 01:31 AM   #200
marqmajere
GeeVooForceDoo

marqmajere is still being judged by the masses

maybe we should reserve judgement until the game is released. Even if the graphics end up like the photo's, I'm willing to let that go if the battles are anything like the boss fight they showed us!
Old Jul 1, 2008, 02:18 AM   #201
Corster
Let's start an argument!

Corster is still being judged by the masses

I'm gonna cream my pants...

(\_/)
(O.o)
(> <)
This is bunny. He plans to take-over the world. help him by adding him to your signature.

`\ 0,o /"
__ -
The goggles do nothing...
Corster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 02:24 AM   #202
sMashPiranha
Radeon Volcanic Islands

sMashPiranha is still being judged by the masses

Coming from someone who played Diablo to death and has never cared about most of their other games, I have to say it just doesn't look evil enough.
sMashPiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 02:30 AM   #203
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Hardcore mode might be a little too tough if the boss monsters can just grab you and bite your head off. Although I must admit that was really friggin cool.

Maybe it should just do it to hirelings or something.
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 02:42 AM   #204
marqmajere
GeeVooForceDoo

marqmajere is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post
Hardcore mode might be a little too tough if the boss monsters can just grab you and bite your head off. Although I must admit that was really friggin cool.

Maybe it should just do it to hirelings or something.
Im willing to bet it's just a death animation.
Old Jul 1, 2008, 02:54 AM   #205
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

You can register your Diablo 2/LOD cd-key at the blizzard store and download and install the game from there

My Diablo 2 discs are getting damaged so this is awesome

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 03:09 AM   #206
Ozilon
Radeon R700

Ozilon knows why the caged bird singsOzilon knows why the caged bird singsOzilon knows why the caged bird singsOzilon knows why the caged bird singsOzilon knows why the caged bird singsOzilon knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corster View Post

I'm gonna cream my pants...
Doing that all the time, when I see the name "Diablo III" somewhere.
Ozilon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 07:54 AM   #207
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Quote:
Originally Posted by marqmajere View Post
Im willing to bet it's just a death animation.
Well, no better hardcore death than to die by decapatation then!
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 08:39 AM   #208
Blundaar
SPOON!

Blundaar is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by RavenX View Post
It will support Havoc engine which means it is optimized for ATI video cards.
Remember how crappy D2 looked on our awesome 32-bit cards, trying to play a 16-bit color game (at least for ATI card owners)? Ugh.
Before I forget about this game for the year- I have to agree that Blizzards' success is in large part due to the ability to play a very well made game across a wide range of PC's, but I would really like to see them get away from the WOW/WC3 look and quit kissing up to grandaddy's 6-year-old PC already.
Blundaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:34 AM   #209
Melchior
RG SSAA ftw!

Melchior is still being judged by the masses

You know, there were some fairly colorful/not filled with the darkness of doom areas in DII. One or two maps from D3 shouldn't be taken as an indicator of the overall mood the devs are going for, it changes with the area and events. It "is" a little smoother than I thought I would like, but watching the gameplay vids makes me think that won't be a real issue.
Lite-On Combo drive /WD Caviar Black 640gb
ATI x1800xl Sapphire 6570, yay ssaa again
M-audio Delta 410 | Magnepan MMGs
Corsair 650TX PSU
Melchior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 1, 2008, 09:59 AM   #210
Destroy
Radeon Arctic Islands

Destroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird singsDestroy knows why the caged bird sings

They really need to add a heavy piss filter and lots of grain filter.