Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » PC Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

PC Gaming Discuss all PC games, past and present. Talk about your favorite games, share tips and strategies, and anything else relating to computer games.

Old Mar 26, 2012, 11:30 PM   #151
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Yeah the original Prey started as a circa 1995/96 3D Realms game and was cancelled. The Prey that actually came out was basically an all new game that used elements from the story of the original, but nothing else. The only thing really "picked up" was the script and then the new game went through a relatively uneventful 3 year dev cycle. It didn't have storied development like Duke Nukem Forever where it went through a constant process of upgrading and rebuilding on old tech.

---

It's pretty disappointing if Prey 2 is cancelled, and that seems to be the case, because companies don't usually say "no comment" to cancellation rumors if they're actually still working on and intend to sell a product. That said, most of my desire for the game was based off it's awesome pre-rendered trailer, which of course represents an idealized concept of the game. In reality, it might be crap.

My theory is that Bethesda found the game would need another year or two of development, and at that point you're talking about releasing near the end of the current consoles' lifespans where it may not be commercially viable given the time invested in it. So either they're either dropping it or announcing it as a launch title for the next XBox
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:41 AM   #152
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

I have mixed feelings if Prey 2 is canceled. It seemed like a cool concept from the trailer, but then again it never should have been called Prey 2. Especially once they took the portals and altered gravity, there really wasn't much justification for it to be Prey at that point.

It seemed more like someone came up with a concept for a game and then tried to bill it as Prey to increase interest in it. I guess that's a good idea on the one hand, but I'm also not totally surprised if it didn't end up working out.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:48 AM   #153
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

spindoctor is still being judged by the masses

bethesda published a few pretty big flops last year (brink, hunted and even rage). it's possible they're cancelling prey because they're tightening their belts so to speak, and don't want to publish a game that they think won't sell well.

plus it's a single player only shooter. that's working heavily against the game.
spindoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Mar 27, 2012, 07:24 AM   #154
theshadowcult
Radeon Arctic Islands

theshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled withtheshadowcult is not someone to be trifled with

all three of those games made a profit. i doubt that is the reason.
Feather_Of_A_Phoenix: Nah I think it's utterly ridiculous when I invalidate someones very existence and they get mad at me. Like the **** I was just attacking an integral part of you! Why you gotta get mad at me?
theshadowcult is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:14 AM   #155
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by theshadowcult View Post
all three of those games made a profit. i doubt that is the reason.
are you sure about that? the games were pretty low on review scores and i don't think they sold well at all.
Old Mar 27, 2012, 10:17 AM   #156
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Interesting concept but it has no relation to the previous Prey. They should have called it something else.

Any confirmation yet?

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 05:59 PM   #157
Arghuin
Nexus 6

Arghuin is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Eisberg View Post
**** YOU Bethesda!!
Arghuin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:03 PM   #158
nomore
Radeon Arctic Islands

nomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channelnomore once jumped the English Channel

I am glad it is cancelled since it never felt like a Prey game.

maybe it will come out later with a different title.
Quote:
Originally Posted by H001iGAN View Post
no matter how you look at it, it's still better on PC
nomore is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 06:56 PM   #159
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by spindoctor View Post
are you sure about that? the games were pretty low on review scores and i don't think they sold well at all.
Well at least in Rage's case, while it may have been poorly received PC side it was well received Console side. As many of the technical aspects/issue where less of, or never, a problem there.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 27, 2012, 08:36 PM   #160
john2
Radeon Southern Islands

john2 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomore View Post
I am glad it is cancelled since it never felt like a Prey game.

maybe it will come out later with a different title.
My thoughts exactly. I expect this game to get a different name and come out on next generation platforms
john2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:28 AM   #161
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trunks0 View Post
Well at least in Rage's case, while it may have been poorly received PC side it was well received Console side. As many of the technical aspects/issue where less of, or never, a problem there.
the consoles had the same texture problems at the beginning. more to the point though, rage was an id software shooter... it was probably expected to be a blockbuster selling game. which i'm sure it didn't turn out to be, even on the console side. i very much doubt bethesda are happy with the sales that rage got. one indication of this is that there is no word from id about any dlc the game will have. i'm sure they must have had a plan for some kind of dlc before the game released, but it likely didn't sell well enough for bethesda to bother to fund it.
Old Mar 28, 2012, 12:57 AM   #162
Progression
Radeon Arctic Islands

Progression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badgesProgression doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
the consoles had the same texture problems at the beginning. more to the point though, rage was an id software shooter... it was probably expected to be a blockbuster selling game. which i'm sure it didn't turn out to be, even on the console side. i very much doubt bethesda are happy with the sales that rage got. one indication of this is that there is no word from id about any dlc the game will have. i'm sure they must have had a plan for some kind of dlc before the game released, but it likely didn't sell well enough for bethesda to bother to fund it.
That's a very good point. I think Rage is a pretty good example of jack of all trades, master of none and putting all your eggs in one basket.
Quote:
Originally Posted by General Lee View Post
If you must listen to country [music], play it backwards. You get your woman back, the dog comes back to life, Momma pops out from under the train, and it stops raining. :)
Quote:
Originally Posted by bete View Post
I'd bet it would be fun to do him up the ass.
Progression is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 01:07 AM   #163
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phrygian View Post
That's a very good point. I think Rage is a pretty good example of jack of all trades, master of none and putting all your eggs in one basket.
I think it's more of an example that id's games haven't evolved much, and they can no longer rely purely on cutting edge graphics to sell tons of copies.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 06:00 AM   #164
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I think it's more of an example that id's games haven't evolved much, and they can no longer rely purely on cutting edge graphics to sell tons of copies.
i enjoyed rage a lot. it was their oldschool kind of run and gun gameplay that was the most fun part of the it for me personally. but i have to agree with the above statement, there is no real market for this kind of simplistic game anymore. especially not on the console side of things. and not having multiplayer was a big mistake that they made. (yes i know it had that car racing/shooting mp but that doesn't count for much)
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:17 PM   #165
Sweetz
Radeon Arctic Islands

Sweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete strangerSweetz once held a door open for a complete stranger

Assuming VGChartz is somewhat accurate, Rage sold 2.32mil worldwide between the 360 and PS3 combined.

Not an amazing number, but still that's a good chunk of change. I think the biggest loss for them is really on the engine side. I mean when Zenimax bought id, I'm sure they were at least in part banking on getting some decent revenue from id's engine business. However, it took so long for them to finish Tech5 that it was is pretty much DOA as far as 3rd party licensing goes. Everyone has been using UE3 for the last half-decade and don't really have any motive to switch given the technical foibles Rage showed.
---

Kind of back on topic, looked up Prey while I was on VGChartz, worldwide console sales for Prey 1: 280,000

So why exactly were they calling this game Prey 2 again? Maybe it's just really, really difficult to find an available trademark for a game titles these days, because they certainly couldn't be trying to capitalize on the original game's fan base for sales...
Sweetz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 28, 2012, 08:53 PM   #166
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

VGCharts numbers are inaccurate, Prey was burning up the sales charts in 2006 and was officially said to have sold over 1 million copies in just the first 2 months. via Neowin.net

Not to mention Steam actually sold out of keys for it in 2009 when it went on sale for $5 bux.

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib -
4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi Go! Pro(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Trunks0 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 12:43 AM   #167
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post
Assuming VGChartz is somewhat accurate
that's never true . vgchartz estimates have been proven to be significantly off the mark time and again.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:12 AM   #168
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sweetz View Post

Kind of back on topic, looked up Prey while I was on VGChartz, worldwide console sales for Prey 1: 280,000
Yeah that's total bullshit. Prey was one of the most popular game releases that year. Every gamer I knew had a copy.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:28 AM   #169
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post
Yeah that's total bullshit. Prey was one of the most popular game releases that year. Every gamer I knew had a copy.
It was not that popular, it "only" managed break 1 million copies sold when they combined the xbox 360 and pc sales.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:08 AM   #170
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
It was not that popular, it "only" managed break 1 million copies sold when they combined the xbox 360 and pc sales.
Does that not still qualify as "one of the most popular game releases that year"?
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:11 AM   #171
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor|WAR View Post
Does that not still qualify as "one of the most popular game releases that year"?
Nope, you need to sell 2 million copies to belong in that category.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:15 AM   #172
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
Nope, you need to sell 2 million copies to belong in that category.
Ahh OK, I wasn't aware of that "rule."
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:47 AM   #173
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

delayed, not cancelled

http://www.theverge.com/gaming/2012/...-not-cancelled

rather harsh sounding official statement though, imo.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:49 AM   #174
Mangler
PC

It must be pretty bad then considering Bethesda had no problems releasing gems like Rogue Warrior.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 09:55 AM   #175
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

honestly, i think the stinkers they've published lately (brink, hunted and even rage) is making them reconsider the quality of the work they're willing to put on shelves.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 10:37 AM   #176
El_Diablo
Radeon R520

El_Diablo is still being judged by the masses

I have been eagerly waiting for Prey 2. I hope there is no serious problems with it that they can't fix.
El_Diablo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 19, 2012, 01:02 PM   #177
acroig
Master Troll

acroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsacroig glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Quote:
honestly, i think the stinkers they've published lately (brink, hunted and even rage) is making them reconsider the quality of the work they're willing to put on shelves.
I hope this is good news for not just Prey 2 but Doom IV as well.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:40 AM   #178
spindoctor
Radeon Arctic Islands

this could explain why the press release was so tense

http://www.shacknews.com/article/734...since-november
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:50 AM   #179
Mangler
PC

I had no idea that rebellion was not the original developer of Rogue warrior.
Old Apr 20, 2012, 08:07 AM   #180
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

One positive way to look at it is at least Bethesda is starting to get serious about quality.

Another spin on that could be they have a lot of nerve and are hypocrites to complain about quality given the messes they've put out in years past.