Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:20 AM   #61
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
nycdarkness
ಠ_ಠ

nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'nycdarkness once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
I think it's more about people getting bit by the upgrade bug at a really odd time. I still don't see what Kaby Lake brings to the table that Skylake didn't. But, on the bright side, if Ryzen comes out and is way better, I suppose they can always resell their parts!

Edit: Also, in full disclosure I'm actually putting together a Kaby Lake system myself, only because I need another computer and waiting for a month isn't possible. However, I fully intend to sell off the CPU and motherboard if Ryzen comes out and offers a better value.
The only benefit I see is maybe a slightly higher clock and the ability to streak 4k from like netflix on your computer.

nycdarkness is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2017, 10:23 AM   #62
demo
space cadet

demo kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshdemo kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshdemo kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshdemo kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshdemo kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshdemo kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshdemo kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshdemo kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshdemo kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshdemo kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Console King

I think Kaby will be better for a pure gaming rig tbh, at least in the near future.
Old Jan 14, 2017, 12:30 PM   #63
pax
Radeon Arctic Islands

pax once held a door open for a complete strangerpax once held a door open for a complete strangerpax once held a door open for a complete strangerpax once held a door open for a complete stranger

Itll be interesting to see ryzen 4/8t core compared to KL 4/8t core. If the 8 core can easily clock higher than the 6900k its a good sign 4 core ryzen can at least match KL clocks.

And if amd can get those insane 4 core prices down to 2 core intel levels we all win...
Old Ass RIG from 1 Dec 2009! (Upgrade 2 Jan 10th 2011!>> Upgrade 3 Jan 2013>>Upgrade4 May 2015): Asus M4A89GTD Pro\USB3 Bios 2001, Phenom2 965 3.4 ghz 125w tdp, 4 x 2 OCZ 7-7-7-20 Patriot Viper ddr3 1600, (New Vid Dec 2014!) Asus DCU2OC Radeon 290 Cats beta 15.4, X-Fi fatality PCI, 1 x 750 GB seagate momentus hybrid drive. 1 x 1TB seagate 7200.11 HD, 1 x 3TB Seagate 7200.12 HD, 1 x 2TB seagate LP, Corsair TX 750w, Asus VS278Q 27" mon (new mon after 8 years of the dell 2405fpw! Very nice upgrade). Win 10 Pro

New Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. 28" BenQ 1080p mon. Win 10 home.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jan 14, 2017, 01:44 PM   #64
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Oh well I've listened to what (some) people on this post have said and I've upped my budget by another £500 for a full build including a new Vega card.

So I popped into my local computer shop and ordered an i7 7700K (yeah) and 16GB 2400 Crucial Ram. I now have to decide on a motherboard and I'm choosing between an Asus Z270 Prime K and a Gigabyte Z270 Gaming 3. I'll have a look online and decide on Monday.

Total cost including build is £630 which is £130 more than originally budgeted but WTF you're a long time dead! So that leaves me about £900 for a Vega card which should hopefully come in below that and if it does I won't be too far over budget

I was going to spend the extra £500 on a new set of golf irons but I won last week and again today so I've decided to keep my existing irons for at least another 12 months.

Overall when I get the new Vega card I think this system will last me about 4 years because with Vega I won't be in a big hurry to upgrade it as it will more than suffice at 1440p for some time to come.

Now I've decided to go i7 7700K I'm quite excited about this upgrade and hopefully it will all be installed by the end of this month or the first week of February.
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5 ghtz, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, Sapphire Radeon Tri-X Fury Pro, 32GB HyperX 1866 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, Blu_Ray Drive, DVD Burner, Creative X-FI S/C, 700w PSU, Windows 10

Last edited by LordHawkwind : Jan 14, 2017 at 01:45 PM. Reason: spelling
LordHawkwind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 14, 2017, 04:11 PM   #65
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

LordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyLordHawkwind can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

ATI Technologies

Had a good look around and I'm going to order the Asus Z270 Prime K basically because it has 2 legacy PCI slots which means I can reuse my Soundblaster Xtreme Gamer sound card rather than on board audio. It also has 2 x M2 slots which might become useful in the future.

Getting really hyped for this upgrade and when Vega comes along my system rebuild will be complete. All the parts I'm replacing will go to my son's rig which currently has an AMD A10 5800K, 8GB Ram & an AMD 7950 GPU. I think he'll notice that upgrade too
Intel i5 2500k @ 4.5 ghtz, Asrock Z77 Extreme 4, Sapphire Radeon Tri-X Fury Pro, 32GB HyperX 1866 Ram, Acer XF270HU freesync monitor at 1440p and 144hz, 250gb Samsung Evo 850 SSD, 750mb Seagate Momentus XT SSHD, 1 TB Samsung Spinpoint H/D, Blu_Ray Drive, DVD Burner, Creative X-FI S/C, 700w PSU, Windows 10
Old Jan 16, 2017, 03:46 PM   #66
pax
Radeon Arctic Islands

pax once held a door open for a complete strangerpax once held a door open for a complete strangerpax once held a door open for a complete strangerpax once held a door open for a complete stranger

Not looking good for you 5ghz KL folks:

http://www.hardocp.com/news/2017/01/...o_5ghz_3600mhz

Only one in 4 retail chips reach 5ghz...

Now mind you the pc canard claim of 5 ghz on air for ryzen is yet to be tested on retail chips...
Old Ass RIG from 1 Dec 2009! (Upgrade 2 Jan 10th 2011!>> Upgrade 3 Jan 2013>>Upgrade4 May 2015): Asus M4A89GTD Pro\USB3 Bios 2001, Phenom2 965 3.4 ghz 125w tdp, 4 x 2 OCZ 7-7-7-20 Patriot Viper ddr3 1600, (New Vid Dec 2014!) Asus DCU2OC Radeon 290 Cats beta 15.4, X-Fi fatality PCI, 1 x 750 GB seagate momentus hybrid drive. 1 x 1TB seagate 7200.11 HD, 1 x 3TB Seagate 7200.12 HD, 1 x 2TB seagate LP, Corsair TX 750w, Asus VS278Q 27" mon (new mon after 8 years of the dell 2405fpw! Very nice upgrade). Win 10 Pro

New Rig 2016: Gigabyte G1 gaming 990fx. FX 8350 cpu. 2 x 8 gig ddr3 1866 Kingston. 1 x 2tb firecuda seagate with 8 gig mlc SSHD. 28" BenQ 1080p mon. Win 10 home.

Ignore List: Keystone... -My Baron he wishes to inform you that vendetta, as he puts it in the ancient tongue, the art of kanlee is still alive... He does not wish to meet or speak with you...-
"Either half my colleagues are enormously stupid, or else the science of darwinism is fully compatible with conventional religious beliefs and equally compatible with atheism." -Stephen Jay Gould, Rock of Ages.
"The Intelligibility of the Universe itself needs explanation. It is not the gaps of understanding of the world that points to God but rather the very comprehensibility of scientific and other forms of understanding that requires an explanation." -Richard Swinburne

www.realitysandwich.com

www.makepovertyhistory.org
pax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2017, 04:46 PM   #67
lazyx
Radeon Evergreen

lazyx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultylazyx can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post

Now mind you the pc canard claim of 5 ghz on air for ryzen is yet to be tested on retail chips...
Actually Ryzen 5ghz claim was just for one core.

Regarding 7700k it's silicon lottery and all that... Doing research I've seen enough people on reddit\forum hit 5ghz on air.

Last edited by lazyx : Jan 16, 2017 at 05:07 PM.
lazyx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 16, 2017, 04:53 PM   #68
bittermann
I didn't do it

bittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshbittermann kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Subscriber

Kaby Lake isn't even hitting 5GHz consistently so I don't know why anyone would think Zen could instantly hit that mark on the first revision. I'll be glad if it can turbo between 4.0-4.2GHz.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 08:47 AM   #69
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled with

5GHz would be easier to achieve if those retards at HardOCP weren't using CAS18 3600MHz OC memory and used either 2133MHz CAS9/2400MHz CAS10 which is faster anyways.

Don't stress the IMC and you can achieve a higher CPU over clock. I'd rather have 5GHz 2400MHz CAS10 over 3600MHz CAS18 and 4.7/4.8GHz.
Intel Core i7 6900K @ 4.5GHz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB Cas 10 DDR4 2400MHz, Nvidia TitanX Pascal SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 950 Pro, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K70 RGB, Logitech G900, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 17, 2017, 09:14 AM   #70
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by pax View Post

It's just TardOCP. They don't know how to OC.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 09:15 AM   #71
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by bittermann View Post
Kaby Lake isn't even hitting 5GHz consistently so I don't know why anyone would think Zen could instantly hit that mark on the first revision. I'll be glad if it can turbo between 4.0-4.2GHz.
Right. That's why Asus is including a 5GHz profile on their Z270 boards and says 80% of unlocked Kaby Lake chips can hit this speed.

MSI even offers a 5.2GHz profile.
Old Jan 19, 2017, 05:20 PM   #72
LordHawkwind
Not a fanboy or Nvidiot

ATI Technologies

All getting installed 27/01 so really looking forward to it. I don't think I'll bother O/C to 5ghz, 4.8 will do nicely IMHO with a lower voltage O/C.

We'll see I don't have AIO so on air 4.8 will be nice. Having said that the i7 7700K is 4.2mhz, turbo 4.5 and my SB 2500k is clocked at 4.4mhtz so iI might l leave it at stock to see what it does.

I might leave it at stock for a month or so and then have a bit of fun trying to over clock. Bring it on
Old Jan 19, 2017, 07:04 PM   #73
Ghastlyone
In Absentia

Ghastlyone is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
All getting installed 27/01 so really looking forward to it. I don't think I'll bother O/C to 5ghz, 4.8 will do nicely IMHO with a lower voltage O/C.

We'll see I don't have AIO so on air 4.8 will be nice. Having said that the i7 7700K is 4.2mhz, turbo 4.5 and my SB 2500k is clocked at 4.4mhtz so iI might l leave it at stock to see what it does.

I might leave it at stock for a month or so and then have a bit of fun trying to over clock. Bring it on
I've got my 7700K clocked currently at 4.7ghz with voltage set to 1.30 in the UEFI. Under load, it hasn't gone past 1.275v. I could probably clock this thing to 4.8ghz easily where the voltage is set. Temps haven't gone above 65C.
Ghastlyone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 19, 2017, 07:22 PM   #74
Riptide
Avtomat Kalashnikova 1947

Riptide is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran View Post
Right. That's why Asus is including a 5GHz profile on their Z270 boards and says 80% of unlocked Kaby Lake chips can hit this speed.

MSI even offers a 5.2GHz profile.
https://hardforum.com/threads/retail...ost-1042766180

Success rates don't look like 80% to me so far. This isn't "TardOCP" doing the overclocking here either in many of these results.
ASUS GTX 1080
Samsung 256GB 840 PRO SSD
Riptide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jan 20, 2017, 11:15 AM   #75
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riptide View Post
https://hardforum.com/threads/retail...ost-1042766180

Success rates don't look like 80% to me so far. This isn't "TardOCP" doing the overclocking here either in many of these results.
I read that thread yesterday. TardOCP doesn't understand statistics either. A sample size of 28 is statistically insignificant. Margin of error goes through the roof at that level.

I had a conversation with a friend about this very subject last night. You have to remember, reviewers aren't professional overclockers. They also generally only have a matter of days with a given product to produce a somewhat comprehensive review. They're not going to spend hours or days fine-tuning an overclock to hit a desired performance target.

There's no argument to be had here. Asus, one of the foremost manufacturers of motherboards in the world has seen hundreds of Kaby Lake samples in their testing/qualification labs. Their numbers say 80% of K series Kaby Lake chips will hit 5GHz.
Old Yesterday, 12:58 AM   #76
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak knows why the caged bird singsNagorak knows why the caged bird singsNagorak knows why the caged bird singsNagorak knows why the caged bird singsNagorak knows why the caged bird sings

I take OC results with a grain of salt in general. In fact, I'd go so far as to adjust most results down by a couple hundred MHz. A lot of people claim to get a good result, but in reality they do a half assed stability test, so they're actually running at semi-unstable speeds.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 07:10 AM   #77
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled withHapatingjaky is not someone to be trifled with

All Bennette did was set his CPU Multi to 50, set XMP, and set Voltage and went for it, and of course it didn't work. He should have done the following:

1.) Update the bios.
2.) Restore Bios Defaults.
3.) Set Voltage to the max supported, and then adjust the Multi accordingly. Do not set XMP.
4.) Do his tests and find the max stable MHz for his CPU.
5.) Restore Bios defaults.
6.) Set Voltage to max supported, enable XMP, and start the CPU MHz climb again. Until he either errored, froze, or crashed.
7.) Adjust System Agent Voltage or whatever its called ( every motherboard manufacturer calls it something different ) to allow more voltage to the IMC and do the last test at the point it crashed.

Again and I know I keep repeating myself his use of 3600MHz DDR4 CAS18 limits his OC. If he used 2133MHz or 2400MHz DDR4 CAS9 or CAS10 he'd probably get better results at less power and less heat, even though heat isn't his enemy at 61c max load.

I've been actually thinking of going and grabbing a 7700K, Asus Maximus IX Formula and Corsair Dominator DDR4 2400MHz CAS10 just to see if I can beat TardOCP. But then its like, it ain't an upgrade over my 6900K at 4.5GHz and I want a SkylakeX upgrade this summer with a new custom loop.
Intel Core i7 6900K @ 4.5GHz, Asus Rampage V Extreme, Corsair Dominator Platinum 32GB Cas 10 DDR4 2400MHz, Nvidia TitanX Pascal SLI, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 950 Pro, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, Corsair 900D, Corsair K70 RGB, Logitech G900, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 08:05 PM   #78
dmanna
Radeon Evergreen

dmanna is still being judged by the masses

With the 3 different AMD systems and the 1 Intel system that I have over clocked with. Getting 24-7 stable overclocks can't be judged by stress testing necessarily. I have torture tested my cpus and then a couple days later I get system crashes.

Motherboards can be strange too, for instance without XMP enabled and manually messing with the voltage and the multiplyer I would get crashes at 4.2 Ghz. With all settings exactly the same accept for XMP enabled my system has been rock solid stable for months.

There was no difference in memory speed, memory timings, cpu speed, or voltage but that 1 setting for whatever reason stablized my system.
dmanna is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Yesterday, 09:40 PM   #79
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak knows why the caged bird singsNagorak knows why the caged bird singsNagorak knows why the caged bird singsNagorak knows why the caged bird singsNagorak knows why the caged bird sings

Ok, I'm a little bit of a believer in Kaby Lake now. The i5 7600K I have here looks to be stable at 5 GHz.

I can't run AVX stress tests past 4.8 GHz. They just generate insane amounts of heat (100 C!), making it impossible to get them stable (with modern processors these seem like they border on being power viruses). In order to actually be able to run these AVX stress test it seems like you need to consider deliding the processor to improve the thermal transfer, which I'm not about to attempt. Fortunately, there's an offset in the bios to reduce speeds with AVX, which I will set once I get the chip stable.

Non-AVX Prime 95 small FFTs ran for 3 hours no problems. I'm trying 5.1 GHz now. Also, I have my memory running at the stock XMP profile of 3733 MHz, so it doesn't seem like that's holding anything back.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote