Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Oct 22, 2008, 11:11 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Audi2Honda
Rage3D Veteran

Audi2Honda is still being judged by the masses

Default Any recommendations on good gaming headphones? I used to have those Bose noise

canceling ones and I loved them, but they wore out and the ear pieces literally fell apart. New ones are several hundred bones so I'm not sure I want to go there. I was thinking $50...maybe $100 if the difference is worth it.

TIA
Asus Top HD4850
Corsair 650TX

Team Rage 3D Folding My STATS
Audi2Honda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 01:38 AM   #2
Zarfilg
Radeon 4870

Zarfilg is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Audi2Honda View Post
canceling ones and I loved them, but they wore out and the ear pieces literally fell apart. New ones are several hundred bones so I'm not sure I want to go there. I was thinking $50...maybe $100 if the difference is worth it.

TIA
It goes something like this; once you get a pair of grado's, everything else becomes junk. I currently use the Grado SR 125. If the 15o price tag is too much, get the SR80's. Incredible headphones.... they put 4 digit pricepoint speakers to shame. WIth such headphones not only will your games sound fantastic but they will open your ears to a whole other world where music is concerned as well.
Zarfilg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:09 PM   #3
seeker010
chaotic evil

seeker010 is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarfilg View Post
It goes something like this; once you get a pair of grado's, everything else becomes junk. I currently use the Grado SR 125. If the 15o price tag is too much, get the SR80's. Incredible headphones.... they put 4 digit pricepoint speakers to shame. WIth such headphones not only will your games sound fantastic but they will open your ears to a whole other world where music is concerned as well.
I find Grados too forward. Then again I'm not a fan of edgy music that Grados emphasize. Really most heaphones in the US$50-$100 range by Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Sony etc tend to be good. People will different music tastes will differ on what's good to them.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:19 PM   #4
Zarfilg
Radeon 4870

Quote:
Originally Posted by seeker010 View Post
I find Grados too forward. Then again I'm not a fan of edgy music that Grados emphasize. Really most heaphones in the US$50-$100 range by Grado, Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Sony etc tend to be good. People will different music tastes will differ on what's good to them.
Hmm I don't exactly know what you mean by `too forward'? And which grado set are you describing here?
Old Oct 23, 2008, 12:31 PM   #5
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
Hmm I don't exactly know what you mean by `too forward'? And which grado set are you describing here?
All grados are forward and bright to me. Sennheisers are laid back and slightly more veiled. if you're at a rock concert, Grado would seem like the front row while Senns would seem about 30 rows back. When it comes to treble Grado tends to over exaggerate it. At least that's my personal opinion comparing models from the two brands.
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:04 PM   #6
Zarfilg
Radeon 4870

Quote:
All grados are forward and bright to me. Sennheisers are laid back and slightly more veiled. if you're at a rock concert, Grado would seem like the front row while Senns would seem about 30 rows back. When it comes to treble Grado tends to over exaggerate it. At least that's my personal opinion comparing models from the two brands.
Well if by veiled you mean you dont hear everthing there is, and by bright/forward you mean that you hear more, then I will agree with you
Old Oct 23, 2008, 07:44 PM   #7
ultimadrift
Radeon Evergreen

ultimadrift is still being judged by the masses

I really like the steel series 5v2 or watever it is...Retractable headphones FTW
ultimadrift is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 23, 2008, 11:58 PM   #8
ice
Rage3D Spammer

ice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badgesice doesn't need no stinkin' badges

It's extremely well known that Grados are "harsher" and more for rock/metal music. I have SR225 and love them but I don't know how they are for gaming.

6600k|16GB of GSkill|500GB 850 Pro|Gigabyte GTX 1070 G1 |Asus Z170-AR|Windows 10 64 Enterprise

360 games

Lose = Be careful not to lose that.
Loose = The bolts are loose.
There = She is there now.
Their = They have their things.
They're = They're going to the mall.
To = They came to the house.
Too = That's too bad.
Two = 2.
Your = Your dinner is ready.
You're = If you're 150lbs you'd better have a 6 pack.
ice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 12:26 AM   #9
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
Well if by veiled you mean you dont hear everthing there is, and by bright/forward you mean that you hear more, then I will agree with you
well not exactly. Senns tend not to exaggerate treble so it sounds comparably more veiled, while grado tends to over exaggerate it, so it sounds very bright. You can hear all the sounds in the source with models from both manufacturers. It's just a matter of your preference for frequency response and the soundstage.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 02:17 AM   #10
Zarfilg
Radeon 4870

Quote:
well not exactly. Senns tend not to exaggerate treble so it sounds comparably more veiled, while grado tends to over exaggerate it, so it sounds very bright. You can hear all the sounds in the source with models from both manufacturers. It's just a matter of your preference for frequency response and the soundstage.
Yes indeed, it is all an issue of preference, and I prefer the Grado's as do many other audiophiles. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with say a pair of HD 580, but again.. when looking at the price point, Grado's cannot be matched.

Going back to the performance aspect of the Grado's... you can call them bright, forceful etc... Personaly I find the difference between Grado's and other brands akin to the sound difference of being on stage with the music vs. being in the 50th row. Forceful? heh so be it.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:08 AM   #11
H-Money
Radeon R700

H-Money is still being judged by the masses

http://www.headphonereviews.org/

a good website, check out the wizard to help you with selection

i personally have the HD555s (with the Zero DAC/AMP), truly excellent headphones and they are under 100 dollars now
H-Money is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 24, 2008, 04:26 PM   #12
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
Yes indeed, it is all an issue of preference, and I prefer the Grado's as do many other audiophiles. Having said that, there is nothing wrong with say a pair of HD 580, but again.. when looking at the price point, Grado's cannot be matched.

Going back to the performance aspect of the Grado's... you can call them bright, forceful etc... Personaly I find the difference between Grado's and other brands akin to the sound difference of being on stage with the music vs. being in the 50th row. Forceful? heh so be it.
I couldn't disagree more. At any price point there are headphones from other major manufacturers that match it. Are you saying those who don't prefer Grado aren't audiophiles? Fans of the Sennheiser, AKG, Beyerdynamic, Shure, Sony, etc might have something to say about that.
Old Oct 24, 2008, 06:00 PM   #13
Audi2Honda
Rage3D Veteran

So far I'm leaning toward the HD 280s and Sony V6. Continues research
Asus Top HD4850
Corsair 650TX

Old Oct 24, 2008, 10:00 PM   #14
traitoR
Galactic Butterfly

traitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete strangertraitoR once held a door open for a complete stranger

Best headphones i ever owned were Koss porta pro`s.

The dream of eternal life is far more compelling than living one.
traitoR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 25, 2008, 12:50 AM   #15
Zarfilg
Radeon 4870

Quote:
Are you saying those who don't prefer Grado aren't audiophiles?
I prefer Grados as do many other audiophiles.

I am quite sure many other's prefer Sens.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:24 PM   #16
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
So far I'm leaning toward the HD 280s and Sony V6. Continues research
If you are a basshead stay away from the HD 280pro. It has great clarity, but the bass is very underexaggerated. Not that I'm trying to bash it, I have 2 of them.
Old Oct 25, 2008, 04:34 PM   #17
Audi2Honda
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
If you are a basshead stay away from the HD 280pro. It has great clarity, but the bass is very underexaggerated. Not that I'm trying to bash it, I have 2 of them.

For gaming do you think one has better spatial representation than the other? i.e. hearing enemies sneaking up on you.
Asus Top HD4850
Corsair 650TX

Old Oct 25, 2008, 08:54 PM   #18
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
For gaming do you think one has better spatial representation than the other? i.e. hearing enemies sneaking up on you.
that's a tough one. I think your soundcard's HRTF algorithm probably plays a bigger role in that regard.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 03:33 PM   #19
forciano
It's friggin chicken!

forciano is still being judged by the masses

I have the HD 555 and they are really good for the price.
GPU- 2 x Radeon 6970
Mobo- Asus M3A79-T Deluxe
Ram- OCZ 8GB
(4x2GB) CAS 4 DDR2 800
SC- X-FI Titanium HD
(gaming)
PSU- Antec True Power Quattro 850watt
Case- Antec 1200
Monitor- Samsung LN32B640

OS- Windows 7 Ultimate x64
Speakers- Logitech Z-5500, HD650 headphones and DV 336SE Amp
forciano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 26, 2008, 10:20 PM   #20
SaltedSlug
Radeon R200

SaltedSlug is still being judged by the masses

I've used my Sennheiser HD 570's since 2000 or 2001. Best headphones i've ever owned.

They were $120 back then, but i'd still pay that now. They are the most comfortable headphones i've ever had on. You can wear them all day every day without a problem. Even with glasses.

They don't have the leather headband or earcups. They have a really comfortable cloth like material (don't know what it is).

They have a single cable going into the left speaker. This cable is kevlar coated I believe. I've used the headphones nearly every day for hours and I run over the cable with my chair almost daily and it still hasn't broke. If it did break I could just go to sennheisers site and order a replacement cable.

Thats what makes these headphones great.

So if you want headphones that sound good and are extremely reliable / tough. I'd have no problem recommending Sennheiser.

I did get the HD 595's hoping they'd sound a bit better. I didn't like them... heh. So that kind of goes against the trash talk back in the day on the 570's. Probably was from a Grado fan.
Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:17 PM   #21
Audi2Honda
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaltedSlug View Post
I've used my Sennheiser HD 570's since 2000 or 2001. Best headphones i've ever owned.

They were $120 back then, but i'd still pay that now. They are the most comfortable headphones i've ever had on. You can wear them all day every day without a problem. Even with glasses.

They don't have the leather headband or earcups. They have a really comfortable cloth like material (don't know what it is).

They have a single cable going into the left speaker. This cable is kevlar coated I believe. I've used the headphones nearly every day for hours and I run over the cable with my chair almost daily and it still hasn't broke. If it did break I could just go to sennheisers site and order a replacement cable.

Thats what makes these headphones great.

So if you want headphones that sound good and are extremely reliable / tough. I'd have no problem recommending Sennheiser.

I did get the HD 595's hoping they'd sound a bit better. I didn't like them... heh. So that kind of goes against the trash talk back in the day on the 570's. Probably was from a Grado fan.
Thanks. What didn't you like about the 595s?
Asus Top HD4850
Corsair 650TX

Old Oct 26, 2008, 11:48 PM   #22
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
Thanks. What didn't you like about the 595s?
HD595s are un-Sennheiser Sennheisers. More forward and more bright than the classic Sennheiser sound, but not as bright as Grados. More of a compromise between the two.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 04:08 AM   #23
cjl64
The Mod has you....

cjl64 is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
100% very level headed and correct statement. I personally have never heard the grado line but know it is fantastic. But i have read all over that they are intense cans. Just like mentioned very bright and in your face. The bass on grado i have read has a nice punch also that some people cant get enough of and that is total cool if thats what your ears like. From what i have read the senn line sounds more in my line of taste. Lots of detail in the music but presented naturally and gentle. I just ordered the senn HD 485 as they are not to expensive and should be a fun starter into the higher end audio world. Im so looking forward to some beyer DT 880 or a higher senn model for the even more open sound stage when i get more into this audio stuff. but yeah, AKG, Denon, Beyerdynamics, sennheiser, Grado, and a few more all make fantastic headphones.

One more note. I cant say personally that grado cans can get a little uncomfortable but i have read that from some users online. Rest assure Sennheiser makes some of the most comfortable cans you can buy.

But yes, audio is subjective and some people are not into the extreme range that grado's put out. I think we can all agree that for the $100 range there are some great cans to be had. Amazon.com has allot of really good deals on headphones when i was price shopping for new cans.

Also... if you need mod assistance please pm cjl64 for speedy results. :D
cjl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 04:20 AM   #24
cjl64
The Mod has you....

cjl64 is still being judged by the masses

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by traitoR View Post
Best headphones i ever owned were Koss porta pro`s.
for the money they are actually on of the best pairs and they are really old classic pair. I love the style of them... so retro but so awesome.

EDIT: also this koss pair http://www.headphonereviews.org/head...headphoneId=92

Koss KSC75 are cheap and a portable favorite for none IEM or canal isolation headphones.

On one more side not. For portable and cheap headphones that have big bass for bassheads i hear Vmoda make a good pair. Not the best mid range or super high range, but a solid pair for a good price. Oh yeah and that crazy bass :P

Also... if you need mod assistance please pm cjl64 for speedy results. :D

Last edited by cjl64 : Oct 27, 2008 at 04:39 AM.
cjl64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 09:59 AM   #25
Audi2Honda
Rage3D Veteran

Great feedback in this thread thanks. What do you guys think about open air phones vs closed?

The Sennheiser 555 is an open air design which I've heard makes for better sound reproduction. The 280s are closed which I've read lends itself to a more immersiv experience for gaming.

fyi I have an Audigy2 sound card, so hopefully it can drive either the 555 or 280s well. My buddy recommended the Grado SR80s so now he's got my head spinning. Decision paralysis!
Asus Top HD4850
Corsair 650TX

Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:31 PM   #26
Zarfilg
Radeon 4870

The SR80's are an insane value. Since you mentioned gaming I have a couple of links for you from a gaming source about the grados.

SR60 http://gear.ign.com/articles/306/306294p1.html
SR80 http://gear.ign.com/articles/306/306258p1.html

Might want to read the SR60 first, as the sr80 review is largely based on the former.
Old Oct 27, 2008, 01:43 PM   #27
seeker010
chaotic evil

So are the 555s at around 100. SR80 sounds pretty awful unamped. for gaming I don't see why you'd go with Grado and it's edgy, in your face sound, even while amped. Plus I find the soundstage of the Senns lends itself better to sound positioning, at least HD 555 vs SR80 vs SR60

Last edited by seeker010 : Oct 27, 2008 at 01:50 PM.
seeker010 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 02:30 PM   #28
PBalla
Radeon R300

PBalla is still being judged by the masses

altec lansing, so cheap and works extremely well and are durable.

but they are not premium by any means
PBalla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 04:30 PM   #29
Uroboros
Radeon R520

Uroboros is still being judged by the masses

Grado are very nice headphones. I've owned both the SR60s and the Alessandro Music Series One. The latter being based on the Grado SR80s but leaning more towards the Grado SR125s.

I wouldn't say either of these really need amplification. I've used both with my Creative X-fi card right out of the headphone jack of the I/O Drive.

My only issue with the Grados is that they both had the same problems after 2 years; sound problem though to some issue with the wiring. I don't know if this is just an unique experience on my part; but it's rather annoying as they are really good headphones. Though they are "in your face" and don't have the sound stage of some other headphones.

I recently upgraded though and was looking at the HD 555s for decided to go with the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 headphones. From my research they're slightly better than the HD 555s but might be harder to find.

Here's a couple of reviews

http://tinyurl.com/5h799u

http://tinyurl.com/6ranml

And here's a thread comparing the AD700 to the Alessandro Music Series One

http://tinyurl.com/6o7xqe

Well worth it if you can find them (got mine from Amazon) and are willing to spend the money.

Last edited by Uroboros : Oct 27, 2008 at 04:36 PM.
Uroboros is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 27, 2008, 04:59 PM   #30
seeker010
chaotic evil

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uroboros View Post
Grado are very nice headphones. I've owned both the SR60s and the Alessandro Music Series One. The latter being based on the Grado SR80s but leaning more towards the Grado SR125s.

I wouldn't say either of these really need amplification. I've used both with my Creative X-fi card right out of the headphone jack of the I/O Drive.

My only issue with the Grados is that they both had the same problems after 2 years; sound problem though to some issue with the wiring. I don't know if this is just an unique experience on my part; but it's rather annoying as they are really good headphones. Though they are "in your face" and don't have the sound stage of some other headphones.

I recently upgraded though and was looking at the HD 555s for decided to go with the Audio-Technica ATH-AD700 headphones. From my research they're slightly better than the HD 555s but might be harder to find.

Here's a couple of reviews

http://tinyurl.com/5h799u

http://tinyurl.com/6ranml

And here's a thread comparing the AD700 to the Alessandro Music Series One

http://tinyurl.com/6o7xqe

Well worth it if you can find them (got mine from Amazon) and are willing to spend the money.
amps do more than just give you more volume. they also smooth out the frequency response. For example, I can use my X-Fi to drive my HD650, but the sound is pretty awful; the top end shrills and the bottom end is missing (plus you also got to worry that if there isn't enough power to create a proper waveform - HD650 is 300 ohms - it might great triangle or square waves instead of sine waves, which isn't the best way to treat your US$300+ headphones). If I even use the amp on my Prodigy, all of a sudden the sound comes to life. SR80 without an amp sounds a bit muddled; an amp makes it come to life. Maybe awful was a poor word choice, but it doesn't reach near its full potential without an amp.

Unamped, the HD555 and HD595 are considered by some to be among the best sounding headphones.

Last edited by seeker010 : Oct 27, 2008 at 05:12 PM.
seeker010 is offline   Reply With Quote