Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Oct 12, 2018, 02:27 PM   #2581
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Exposed
ESB Sports Bookie

Exposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird singsExposed knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
Forsoothe he speakeath with a forked tongue when it suiteth him (Shakespeare’s English).
But hey, let us not forget that while you bemoan about how Hollywood is bending over backwards for that market, you're also asking them to simultaneously consider the 'delicate' sensibilities of those state side who need to see a flag plastered all over the place like some Michael Bay movie barfed into another equally worse Michael Bay movie that then **** into the mouth of the team who designs the Call of Duty campaigns with all of their red, white and blue awesomeness with such an overly large boner for America that one does not need to actually 'fly' to the moon, they simply could tight rope on top if it. And if you're concerned about whether or not that penis is strong enough to be load bearing for such a journey, you forget that what fills all of those engorged crevices is freedom.
Exposed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2018, 02:28 PM   #2582
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordHawkwind View Post
The thing is Bill you’ve bitched constantly about the power draw of Vega and even said the 2080ti is as bad but you’re now buying one. If Vega was such a massive fail on that basis how are you justifying the Strix card?

Forsoothe he speakeath with a forked tongue when it suiteth him (Shakespeare’s English).
I like AMD better but

but with Vega 64 at 4k I would need two cards in cf when it works to run 4k
so the power and heat matters

a single Vega can not do 4k at playable FPS .
I always planed to buy two Vega's till I saw the power draw
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...review,15.html

a single 1080 ti strix can barely do 4k and a 2080 ti strix is 30% faster

so a single 2080 ti strix it is most likely faster than two Vega 64's in CF for less than half the power and heat of two Vega 64's
as you are not going to get 100% CF scaling more like 40% to 60% maybe depending on the game if it works at all\

sorry Vega was a fail ( the 2900 was better ) it draws the more power than a 2080 ti strix
https://www.guru3d.com/articles_page...preview,7.html

for half the FPS

and two Vega 64 strix would still cost me about 1125 plus 250 for waterblocks maybe

Last edited by bill dennison : Oct 12, 2018 at 02:48 PM.
bill dennison is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2018, 03:10 PM   #2583
Hapatingjaky
Maximum Disappointment

Hapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshHapatingjaky kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

Intel Core i7 8700K @ 5.2GHz, Asus Maximus X Apex, GSkill Trident-Z 16GB DDR4 4266MHz CAS19, Asus Strix 1080Ti OC, Creative Labs Soundblaster E3, Samsung 970 Pro 1TB, Corsair AXI 1500i PSU, ThermalTake View 71, Corsair K95 Platinum RGB, Corsair Dark Core RGB SE, Acer Predator X34, Windows 10 Professional X64
Hapatingjaky is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Oct 12, 2018, 05:17 PM   #2584
Megaman
Radeon Arctic Islands

Megaman doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMegaman doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMegaman doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMegaman doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMegaman doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMegaman doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMegaman doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMegaman doesn't need no stinkin' badgesMegaman doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Looking at prices here a few 2080 cards line up with the higher end priced 1080Ti’s(some RTx cards are being discounted) so if looking for a Pascal Ti, grabbing the 2080 for about the same price may be worth looking at instead.
Megaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2018, 05:38 PM   #2585
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
I mean buying the card is fine, no one said **** about Exposed buying one because he made it clear the entire time he would pay whatever $$ amount for 4K performance .. but Bill has half the posts in this 86 page thread complaining about the poor performance increase, the extremely high cost, the heat, the crappy cooler, etc .. It's fine, your money your decisions, but don't complain about the pricing or talk about how greedy NV is when you shelled out the cash and rewarded them for it.

I'm curious what they'll do with the 3rd party PCBs and if it'll help overclocking. The chip being so large and power-hungry means it should benefit from stronger VRMs and better power delivery, which might lead to some higher clocks.
Nvidia is just going to lock down the voltage and power limit, so it won't make any difference. Also judging from the voltage curve on Vega (granted a different architecture but it's all we have to go by), I'm guessing that once you get out of the sweet spot on voltage you get maybe 10% more performance for doubling the power consumption.

I think if Nvidia could actually put out a card that was faster while keeping power consumption sane they probably would have.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2018, 05:56 PM   #2586
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Also true. I wish we could go back to the Maxwell days where we were modifying BIOS and pushing 1.287v into a TITAN X running them at 1500.

Now I can't modify **** besides raise the power limit, so I'm stuck at 1400/4000. Lame. I lost a lot of performance when NV changed the power tables (purposely or not) and broke voltage modding+removing boost so it was a constant clockspeed. The days of tweaking and spending the time to make your hardware superior to the next guy is over, I guess. It's really sad to think how much has been locked down in the past 4-5 years, and how much control we've lost over the hardware we purchase. IMO, some of the most fun I have on my PC is when I purchase new hardware - sure, you spend 2-3 days tweaking, get burned out and hate computers, finally get something stable and then "set it and forget it" for years, but those 2-3 days are some of the most fun I've had on my PC.

When I grabbed this 6700K, my first new chip/board/RAM in over 5 (6?) years, I had a blast for 2-3 days finding the max. Ended up getting it stable at 4.7Ghz @ 1.375v, something I'm pretty happy with as it seems to be above average.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe

Last edited by Nunz : Oct 12, 2018 at 06:02 PM.
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 12, 2018, 06:55 PM   #2587
Nagorak

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nunz View Post
Also true. I wish we could go back to the Maxwell days where we were modifying BIOS and pushing 1.287v into a TITAN X running them at 1500.

Now I can't modify **** besides raise the power limit, so I'm stuck at 1400/4000. Lame. I lost a lot of performance when NV changed the power tables (purposely or not) and broke voltage modding+removing boost so it was a constant clockspeed. The days of tweaking and spending the time to make your hardware superior to the next guy is over, I guess. It's really sad to think how much has been locked down in the past 4-5 years, and how much control we've lost over the hardware we purchase. IMO, some of the most fun I have on my PC is when I purchase new hardware - sure, you spend 2-3 days tweaking, get burned out and hate computers, finally get something stable and then "set it and forget it" for years, but those 2-3 days are some of the most fun I've had on my PC.

When I grabbed this 6700K, my first new chip/board/RAM in over 5 (6?) years, I had a blast for 2-3 days finding the max. Ended up getting it stable at 4.7Ghz @ 1.375v, something I'm pretty happy with as it seems to be above average.
Hehe, well if you want that, get a Vega 64. I've been screwing around with mine for the past week, trying to dial in the lower voltage possible at all the P-states. Of course, in the end at best you end up with a 1080 in terms of perf/watt, so I suppose you have to ask whether it's worth the effort.

That being said, I also wish we could modify Pascal's bios to allow for more voltage. At this point I'd consider just feeding my 1080 Ti a ton of voltage if I could get even 10% more performance. That would put it even closer to the 2080 Ti and it's already water cooled so I figure it could probably take it.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:36 AM   #2588
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

The taste of those 30% performance at 4k is so seducing that even morality and money have no power to keep him from it's desire ...
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:47 AM   #2589
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nagorak View Post
Hehe, well if you want that, get a Vega 64. I've been screwing around with mine for the past week, trying to dial in the lower voltage possible at all the P-states. Of course, in the end at best you end up with a 1080 in terms of perf/watt, so I suppose you have to ask whether it's worth the effort.

That being said, I also wish we could modify Pascal's bios to allow for more voltage. At this point I'd consider just feeding my 1080 Ti a ton of voltage if I could get even 10% more performance. That would put it even closer to the 2080 Ti and it's already water cooled so I figure it could probably take it.
As much as I'd love to support AMD, I'm certainly not going to a card that is barely as fast as a GTX1080, which isn't all that much faster than my TITAN XM to begin with Really hoping they pull through with a winner next year, though. I want some freesync in ma lyfe.

I just wish NV would loosen the reins a bit. They've really locked down a lot of the things that made PC hardware fun..
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2018, 01:01 AM   #2590
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

bill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Dieselbill dennison exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Originally Posted by badsykes View Post
The taste of those 30% performance at 4k is so seducing that even morality and money have no power to keep him from it's desire ...
well I spent more than this in 2 weeks in san juan puerto rico in the navy on ………………………….
Old Oct 13, 2018, 01:32 AM   #2591
badsykes
Radeon Arctic Islands

badsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete strangerbadsykes once held a door open for a complete stranger

if you put too much atention and energy you will build a thought / desire that such a huge inertia.I know it myself.You already build up the desire for this card...There will be so much mental pressure if you wait too much...Just buy it.
I've done this build up with the Synology RT1900AC router from 2015...You look at one review one day, you look next and so on and until 2018 the energy spent was too much to say " i have no use for this router" ... I already had a gigabit router (tp-link 1043nd)...In 2018 i couldn't deny myself and i bought it.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 09:10 AM   #2592
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
well I spent more than this in 2 weeks in san juan puerto rico in the navy on ………………………….
, you bad boy you.

yoz
acroig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 13, 2018, 12:35 PM   #2593
SIrPauly
Did someone say, RGSSAA?

SIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultySIrPauly can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

After seeing the rtx 2070 timespy score, very disappointed based on price performance for a next generation upgrade. After more reflection, rtx is a horrible launch from Nvidia. They're kinda fortunate there isn't strong competition right now. Totally pass 'till the refresh or see what Amd or Intel offer.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 02:15 PM   #2594
Nagorak

Basically in the same price bracket it's like a 10% increase in performance (2070 and 2080), so not a whole lot to write home about. Overall pretty disappointing, especially after an extra long two year refresh cycle.
Old Oct 13, 2018, 02:16 PM   #2595
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

oh look NVIDIA faked the moon landing

https://wccftech.com/nvidia-rtx-apollo-11-tech-demo/

Old Oct 14, 2018, 12:56 AM   #2596
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

looks like 3 different Strix again

going to have to watch the boost clocks
Old Oct 14, 2018, 03:59 AM   #2597
KAC
Lets talk stupid

KAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialKAC is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

The AG like OG.
KAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2018, 10:53 PM   #2598
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Oct 15, 2018, 11:16 AM   #2599
daPhoenix
Snow White Nurse

daPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badgesdaPhoenix doesn't need no stinkin' badges

2070/FE out on the 17th this month.

https://www.nvidia.com/en-gb/geforce...00000003758820

As for the price in Europe, here's my opinion;

daPhoenix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2018, 05:49 PM   #2600
jimjobob
Radeon Sea Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

300 miles from home atm but some of the Best Buys near me have 2080ti founders editions in stock and they emailed me a coupon for 10% off any purchase with my best buy card. Thinking about ordering then doing a return rebuy tomorrow.
Only thing is, I can't remember the last time I played a game on PC.
jimjobob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old Oct 16, 2018, 09:09 PM   #2601
acroig
Master Troll

acroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialacroig is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
300 miles from home atm but some of the Best Buys near me have 2080ti founders editions in stock and they emailed me a coupon for 10% off any purchase with my best buy card. Thinking about ordering then doing a return rebuy tomorrow.
Only thing is, I can't remember the last time I played a game on PC.
I got the same coupon, even 24 month 0 interest financing but no store within 250 of me has one.

yoz
Old Oct 16, 2018, 11:54 PM   #2602
jimjobob
Radeon Sea Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
I got the same coupon, even 24 month 0 interest financing but no store within 250 of me has one.
That's what it said in my area on Sunday when I got the coupon too. Today though, I hit check stores and like 8 popped up.
Old Yesterday, 04:20 PM   #2603
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Old Today, 09:53 AM   #2604
Nascar24
EVGA GTX 1080 Ti SC Black

Nascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird singsNascar24 knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by bill dennison View Post
Get them while their HOT! Wow been available for more then 12 hours! Must not be flying off the shelf!
Nascar24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Today, 10:06 AM   #2605
acroig
Master Troll

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
That's what it said in my area on Sunday when I got the coupon too. Today though, I hit check stores and like 8 popped up.
Still no stock in the greater ATL area.

yoz
Old Today, 12:46 PM   #2606
jimjobob
Radeon Sea Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by acroig View Post
Still no stock in the greater ATL area.
I checked Austin area (where I was at the time) and it showed none as well. When I decided to do the return rebuy thing, they were all sold out in my area too.
Old Today, 12:49 PM   #2607
bill dennison
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nascar24 View Post
Get them while their HOT! Wow been available for more then 12 hours! Must not be flying off the shelf!
almost 24 hours now and about 3 nv cards sold by nowinstock but nv most likely does not report all sales to them

….
but not much in aftermarket cards available

and prices are getting jacked up everywhere

amazon has sold about a dozen 2080 Ti DUKE's pre orders for 1339

Last edited by bill dennison : Today at 01:00 PM.