Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

AMD Radeon Software Discussion and Support Discussion and Technical support forum for AMD's Radeon Software.

Closed Thread

Old May 7, 2020, 11:17 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
cliffdom

cliffdom is still being judged by the masses

ATI Technologies Catalyst software will not install - Tried a few solutions

Hello. I'm the new guy here.

For several decades I've been involved with electronics and computing. I've got three
Desktops at home, built by me. The monitors were getting old, so I selected ViewSonic
as replacements.

I had an old copy of Catalyst Control Center that stopped working. Didn't need it with my
old monitors, so it was removed with Revo Uninstaller. My new ViewSonic monitors need
Catalyst to function properly.

I've got two dozen system backups and I try everything with a disposable (virtual) operating
system.

I wanted to start with a clean slate, so I used DDU (Display Driver Uninstaller) from Safe Mode.
After launching the Catalyst installer, I selected "uninstall" to make sure all files from the old
version of Catalyst were gone. The uninstaller found nothing from the old version.

The contents of the SFX is extracted to C:\AMD and C:\Program Files. Why this redundancy I don't
know. The installer runs normally, from beginning to end. It seems to be installing the Catalyst
apps, but nothing happens!

I downloaded new, not so new, and older versions of Catalyst. In each case, the installer does
not install anything. I extracted the contents of the SFX packages manually with 7-Zip, and ran the
Setup.exe file. Again, nothing is installed.

If I cannot resolve this problem, my only option is the replace the AMD graphics cards with Nvidia
cards.
Old May 8, 2020, 09:57 AM   #2
EYE4LYFE
Radeon R600

EYE4LYFE can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyEYE4LYFE can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

1. Which graphics cards do you have?
  2. Which model of ViewSonic monitors are they?
  3. Why do you need CCC for the monitors to function properly?
  4. Is your testing being done within a virtual environment?
  5. Which VM software are you using?
  6. On which version of Windows are you running the VM software?

The answers to the above questions will help members search for solutions more thoroughly.
Old May 8, 2020, 10:51 PM   #3
cliffdom

cliffdom is still being judged by the masses

Thanks for your reply, EYE4LYFE.

I'm a partner in an electronics design company. My Desktops are kind of unique. They are custom
designed and built in my shop.

Each Desktop has five internal drives. They are all optically switched by a circuit board I designed.
By switching each drive in or out of the system, I can create any possible RAID configuration, or they
can function as isolated drives.

I use words like "disposable" or "virtual" because everyone understands those terms. My "virtual
system" is just a clone of the "real" system, but it's completely isolated by optical switching.

EYE4LYFE, I have reservations about Catalyst software. I refrained from googling about problems
with Catalyst, because I didn't want to read negative comments. Well, last night I did perform a few
Google searches. On another forum there is a fifteen page thread about Catalyst not installing and
CCC suddenly not working. A good summary of posts on that other forum is "try this, it worked for
me!" When I read that sort of thing, my brain shuts down.

The question is, should I devote many hours trying to figure out why Catalyst won't install? I have
to think about this for a couple of days.
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 9, 2020, 12:19 AM   #4
Trunks0
Keeping an open mind

Trunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird singsTrunks0 knows why the caged bird sings

Subscriber

It's curious... what is the series of Radeon cards in use and which version of the drivers are giving you a headache?

System:
Gigabyte Z87X D3H - Intel i5 4670k @ 4.2Ghz - CoolerMaster Hyper 212 Black RGB - 16Gb Kingston HyperX Black DDR3-1600 - Asus DRW-24F1ST DVD±RW - Samsung 850 Evo 250Gib - 4TiB Seagate - Asus Radeon R9 Fury STRIX - X-Fi XtremeMusic(darkside lives on) - Windows 10 64-bit
Old May 9, 2020, 04:12 AM   #5
nutcrackr
OT Moderator

nutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundnutcrackr can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

What are your specs / OS?

I recommend this software from MS https://support.microsoft.com/en-us/...led-or-removed

Remove all AMD software references and restart. You may lose chipset drivers.

Also do a clean install, which varies depending on your software version.
Old May 9, 2020, 04:54 AM   #6
oap
Radeon R300

oap is still being judged by the masses

disposable (virtual) operating
system.
Possibly upset a vpn configuration when you deleted the old drivers and may be easier to start from a fresh configuration, no matter what brand of gpu?

Last edited by oap : May 9, 2020 at 04:55 AM. Reason: dodgy spelling :)
Old May 22, 2020, 08:45 AM   #7
Crawdaddy79
Radeon 8500

Crawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird singsCrawdaddy79 knows why the caged bird sings

So how did this bot end up successfully registering? Our first new member in nearly three years!

https://www.rage3d.com/board/memberl...e&pp=30&page=1
Old May 27, 2020, 05:29 PM   #8
Kombatant
K to the max!™

Kombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwardsKombatant can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawdaddy79 View Post
So how did this bot end up successfully registering? Our first new member in nearly three years!

https://www.rage3d.com/board/memberl...e&pp=30&page=1
Bots are getting smarter