Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Software
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Software Anything software that is not operating system related goes here. Talk about the latest applications or discuss betas of upcoming products.

Old Apr 27, 2004, 09:45 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
j0j081
Banned

j0j081 is still being judged by the masses

Default Mozilla or Firefox

I've been using IE for centuries and feel like giving something else a try. Which is better for everyday use? Mozilla or Firebird. Also, what are the main differences? Firebird is meant to be the browser of the future but why?

Last edited by j0j081 : May 1, 2004 at 02:29 AM.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:26 PM   #2
magicknight0233
Radeon Arctic Islands

magicknight0233 is still being judged by the masses

I think the only difference is that FireFox is just the browser while Mozilla has the HTML editor, email client, and all that other stuff.
magicknight0233 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 27, 2004, 10:50 PM   #3
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

TheMonkeyBoyz is still being judged by the masses

You could try MyIE2 for your IE - it is awesome.

That said, I like Mozilla over FireFox because it has more default config
options as well as the mail and Composer HTML editor.

If you get the AutoScroll and Tab browser extensions, Mozilla can really
kick some serious tail.
TheMonkeyBoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Apr 28, 2004, 07:47 AM   #4
JLP
Radeon R700

JLP is still being judged by the masses

Wink

The best way to discover which one you like best is to download and install both and try using them for a few days. And you will also find out soon why they call them browser of the future. It has a lot more features, bettersecurity and better standards support then IE which is slowly getting arhaic like Netscape 4 did a few years ago. And bw sure to check some Extensions for Firefox / Mozilla.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 09:30 AM   #5
nextbillgates

Mozilla Firefox + Googlebar + Adblock = win

Mozilla.... meh. It's okay, but it's a little too bloated for my tastes, and the selection of skins is lacking.
Old Apr 28, 2004, 08:22 PM   #6
JasonQG
Super Moderator Monkey

JasonQG is still being judged by the masses

Almost everybody prefers Firefox.

My computer's saving lives. What's yours doing?
[email protected] (Team Rage3D)
JasonQG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 12:39 AM   #7
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Used both, Firefox is faster with better features. IE is pure hell, worst piece of trash eva.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 01:51 AM   #8
j0j081
Banned

j0j081 is still being judged by the masses

Firefox does seem really nice. I can't tell much difference between it and Mozilla though speed wise. I've already decided to say screw IE unless there is something I absolutely need it for.
j0j081 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 01:55 AM   #9
kbleft
Radeon Evergreen

kbleft is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally posted by j0j081
Firefox does seem really nice. I can't tell much difference between it and Mozilla though speed wise. I've already decided to say screw IE unless there is something I absolutely need it for.

Get the IEView extension for firefox. It allows you to open a webpage in IE from the right-click menu. I think this is great. I removed all of my shortcuts to IE and only use firefox on my computer. Whenever a webpage comes up a little funny, I right-click it over to IE.
kbleft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 29, 2004, 11:41 AM   #10
JLP
Radeon R700

JLP is still being judged by the masses

Smile

And even better solution would be an extension which then automatically e-mails the webmaster of the badly coded page and educates him about web standards.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 08:05 AM   #11
dan666
Radeon R420

dan666 is still being judged by the masses

I went onto firefox a couple of months back and haven't looked back.

How do you get the google toolbar to work in firefox?

Last edited by dan666 : Apr 30, 2004 at 08:10 AM.
dan666 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:19 PM   #12
mAcOdIn
Radeon Evergreen

mAcOdIn is still being judged by the masses

I personally prefer the feel of firefox, I like the themes better, like how it's seperated from the email client and all that, and like how it works with tabs better with the TBE extension(the ability to make the open new tab icon to the right of all the other icons and stuff), but at the moment I'm using Mozilla 1.7rc1.

Mozilla has seemed more solid for me for these last couple of releases and just as fast for me on my machine so I'm using it. I loved the 0.6 firebird build, that was the most stable for me 0.8 is good but is a little bit problematic for me from time to time. I'll get the occasional crash here and there on firefox that I just dont get with mozilla.

But I flip flop back and forth all the time, I'm always testing firefox to see when it gets back to where I want it and both mozilla and Firefox play well together on the same machine so like JLP said trying both doesn't hurt and I recommend that as well.
mAcOdIn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 12:24 PM   #13
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by mAcOdIn
I personally prefer the feel of firefox, I like the themes better, like how it's seperated from the email client and all that, and like how it works with tabs better with the TBE extension(the ability to make the open new tab icon to the right of all the other icons and stuff), but at the moment I'm using Mozilla 1.7rc1.

Mozilla has seemed more solid for me for these last couple of releases and just as fast for me on my machine so I'm using it. I loved the 0.6 firebird build, that was the most stable for me 0.8 is good but is a little bit problematic for me from time to time. I'll get the occasional crash here and there on firefox that I just dont get with mozilla.

But I flip flop back and forth all the time, I'm always testing firefox to see when it gets back to where I want it and both mozilla and Firefox play well together on the same machine so like JLP said trying both doesn't hurt and I recommend that as well.
I'm a huge Mozilla fan and find that you can configure the Tab Browser Extensions
to do just about anything you can do in MyIE2. It is incredibly flexible once you get
that extension loaded, and the AutoScroll extension is pretty sweet. They even
built the code for it into Firefox, I do believe.

If it were not for MyIE2 and the fact that so many pages need the IE specific extensions
to work, I'd probably be all over Mozilla 1.7 more than I am. As it is, Moz 1.7 runs on 2
of my 3 machines. Only my machine is really using IE any more. I only use IE on those
two machines when I have to due to page rendering issues.

I don't begrudge anybody using FireFox - I just happen to prefer the full Mozilla product.

Regardless of what you choose, free software and options are both good things.
Old Apr 30, 2004, 02:54 PM   #14
Pikachuman
Radeon R520

Pikachuman is still being judged by the masses

The main difference seems to be that some of the new extensions/themes seem to be being developed for firefox only. Beyond that, the only difference between them seems that firefox needs a little more work for some options to be configured from a fresh install.
Pikachuman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Apr 30, 2004, 02:57 PM   #15
TheMonkeyBoyz
Banned

Quote:
Originally posted by Pikachuman
The main difference seems to be that some of the new extensions/themes seem to be being developed for firefox only. Beyond that, the only difference between them seems that firefox needs a little more work for some options to be configured from a fresh install.
But MozDev has said that it is Mozilla 1.7 that will be the foundation of all the
splinter efforts, up from 1.4. Won't FireFox extensions work in Moz? If not,
they should be very easy to port over, don't you think?