Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Graphics Technology Forums » Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Other Graphics Cards and 3D Technologies Discussion forum for any graphics hardware not provided by AMD/ATI. Also place to discuss 3D technologies such as 3D Stereo, PhysX and other interesting developments/rumours in the 3D industry.

Old Jul 27, 2019, 06:50 PM   #361
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by demo View Post
So the EVGA FTW ultra bios goes to 351W. Under water that thing must crank if the silicone is up for it. They're binned chips [with binned Samsung DDR6] so looking forward to seeing results.

I know the super isn't so impressive out of the box, but I think it's a good card for proper oc'ers that are willing to flash bios, put under water etc.
Honestly, the higher power limit probably doesn't do all that much. Nvidia isn't clocking these things that far below what they're capable of. Even with raised power limit you'll still just end up being voltage limited, unless that is somehow overridden too. And even if voltage is unconstrained, you'll quickly encounter a Radeon Vega situation where you get 5-10% more performance for double the power consumption.

Maybe at 500w a hypothetical totally overclocked and voltage unlocked 2080S might match a 2080 Ti at stock. It just seems to me if someone wants to get that sort of performance the better choice is an entry level 2080 Ti, rather than a more expensive version of the 2080S. By the time you go to the effort of water cooling, etc, you're going to be pushing up against the price of a 2080 Ti anyway, so I'm not sure it's really worth the hassle.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 27, 2019, 07:17 PM   #362
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Power limit is the main restriction on the 2xxx series.
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jul 28, 2019, 01:01 AM   #363
Nagorak
Incarnation of the Nether

Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'Nagorak once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

That's true at stock, but once you increase the power limit by about 30% you just start running into the voltage limit. At least that's the case with my 2080 Ti (could be different with 2080S I suppose, but I doubt it). At 130% power limit I'm basically either limited by voltage, or by both voltage and power (at least according to the MSI Afterburner Overlay). So having a super high power limit eventually just means you're capped by voltage. Sure, I could flash my card to a higher power limit bios, but there's not much point if I'm just voltage limited almost all the time anyway.

In addition, there's also the issue that there are serious diminishing returns the higher frequency goes. That's why, even when you're power limited, you're generally only losing about 100 MHz of clock speed anyway, or maybe 150 MHz at the outside. That's certainly not nothing, but at clock speeds close to 2 GHz, it's also not going to account for more than about 5% more performance.

Given all that it, seems to me that even with no power limit, water cooled so less temperature throttling, etc, a 2080 Super, at best, might match a non-A 2080 Ti at stock. And in reality I expect the non-A Ti to still be 5-10% faster since performance doesn't scale perfectly with core speed (memory limitations). On top of that the non-A Ti can also have its power limit increased by 12%, as well.

When you consider that a water cooled 2080S is probably going to set you back $100-$150 more than a standard 2080S, I just don't see it as a good buy. I'd rather just get a 2080S with standard cooler for less, or get a 2070S and push it to 2080S speeds via water cooling. Just my personal opinion.

Of course, if someone already owns a custom water cooling setup with a GPU block that can be directly transferred over, then maybe the calculation is a bit different.

Last edited by Nagorak : Jul 28, 2019 at 01:10 AM.
Nagorak is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jul 28, 2019, 08:13 AM   #364
Nunz
RIP Roxen

Nunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialNunz is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

I hit the power limit frequently with standard +0 voltage and max power limit on my FTW3 2080TI. Can’t raise the voltage if you’re at or near the power limit as it’ll just drop it back down again
"If you can't handle me when I'm bulking, you don't deserve me when I'm cut." -- Marilyn Monbroe
Nunz is offline   Reply With Quote