Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » Console Gaming
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Console Gaming A place to discuss our favourite past and present gaming consoles. Talk about your favorite games, get nostalgic and share tips and strategies.

Old Sep 14, 2017, 02:13 PM   #661
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
jimjobob
Radeon Volcanic Islands

jimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete strangerjimjobob once held a door open for a complete stranger

Quote:
Originally Posted by SubCog View Post
We'll see more 3rd party support for switch now that it looks like a success. We'll see if 3rd party games sell though... since they haven't traditionally on the gamecube, Wii, or WiiU.

I think the portability of the device is very compelling though, even for hardcore gamers. I expect Doom to do very well on Switch.
My issue is that some of the multi platform games on it cost more. Fate for example can be found for $20 on Vita, $30-40 on PS4 and $60 on Switch.
jimjobob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 03:01 PM   #662
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimjobob View Post
My issue is that some of the multi platform games on it cost more. Fate for example can be found for $20 on Vita, $30-40 on PS4 and $60 on Switch.
Is that because they're releasing old games as if they were new (like Doom), or is it because those little cartridges cost more to manufacture? Or just Nintendo's traditional high-royalty requirements?

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 14, 2017, 04:19 PM   #663
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Quote:
Originally Posted by Meteor_of_War View Post
Eh, if its the only way to play a great game what's the problem?

If getting heavy back into retro gaming lately has proved anything to me its that visuals mean very little, and fun gameplay is everything.
The problem is that I don't like handhelds, especially ones with an extremely low quality tn panel with a resolution that is far too low for the size of the screen thanks to the whole glasses free 3d thing.

I also never found the thing particularly pleasant to hold, I get cramps from it.
Mangler is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 14, 2017, 04:43 PM   #664
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangler View Post
The problem is that I don't like handhelds, especially ones with an extremely low quality tn panel with a resolution that is far too low for the size of the screen thanks to the whole glasses free 3d thing.

I also never found the thing particularly pleasant to hold, I get cramps from it.
I guess I can't argue, I'm not a fan of handheld gaming either.

Go play AM2R on PC instead. Its awesome.
Meteor_of_War is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2017, 12:15 AM   #665
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber

Took my switch on a plane today. Have to admit playing Mario kart on a flight is pretty awesome. Starting to really like the switch.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 15, 2017, 01:02 AM   #666
lviz
On my way

lviz is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave View Post
Took my switch on a plane today. Have to admit playing Mario kart on a flight is pretty awesome. Starting to really like the switch.
I played Zelda during two flights a couple of weeks ago. Switch makes travelling quite a lot more pleasant than I expected. Come to think of it, I've only used my PS4 a couple of times since late May. I already packed other consoles to boxes due to non-use in the summer. The PS4 only earns its place in the living room due to multimedia capabilities now.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 09:15 AM   #667
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by lviz View Post
I played Zelda during two flights a couple of weeks ago. Switch makes travelling quite a lot more pleasant than I expected. Come to think of it, I've only used my PS4 a couple of times since late May. I already packed other consoles to boxes due to non-use in the summer. The PS4 only earns its place in the living room due to multimedia capabilities now.
I played mine on a long ride to houston , and then back after the flood. i love how fast it charges, or even stays charged well. Played zelda , and then 1-2 switch games in a van full of kids is quite the experience.
Old Sep 15, 2017, 09:16 AM   #668
Elysian
SCAATSJW

Elysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshElysian kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

I wanted to bring my Switch when we visited the northeast a few months ago, but couldn't because we had a house-sitter, and they wanted to use it
Elysian is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 16, 2017, 11:53 AM   #669
Mangler
PC

Mangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single boundMangler can leap small-ish buildings in a single bound

Hmm, seems like buying a SD card for additional storage isn't going to be optional in the future going by more or less all upcoming AAA releasing requiring a 5GB+ data pack download.
Old Sep 16, 2017, 03:05 PM   #670
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand sunsDave glows with the radiance of a thousand suns

Subscriber
Folding@home

Quote:
Hmm, seems like buying a SD card for additional storage isn't going to be optional in the future going by more or less all upcoming AAA releasing requiring a 5GB+ data pack download.
That's why I bought a 256GB SD card
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 18, 2017, 12:36 PM   #671
mynakedrat2
Bobcats gold weights

mynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultymynakedrat2 can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

same here. from the get go.
Old Sep 21, 2017, 06:21 PM   #672
Sasquach
2/10 will not bang

Sasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badgesSasquach doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Nintendo Switch is next gen?

Is current gen enough?
Doom seems to think so.

Aside from the whole off-screen vs direct capture quality which is skewing the image quality, there is some obvious differences in textures, and lower polygon counts. But otherwise it looks like the Console that I imagined Nintendo to have, something that has *enough* power to run some of the multiplats vs the PS4/Xbone, and not with a last gen vs next gen disadvantage.

AMD Ryzen 5 2600X @ 3.6ghz
Asus Prime B450M A/CSM
2 x 8GB G-Skill DDR4 2666
Dell E2210 (22" widescreen) monitor + AMD Radeon R9 290
Seagate Barracuda 500gb 7200.12 SATA
Seagate Barracuda 2TB SATA
Sennheiser PC350 Xense edition headset
Sasquach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2017, 06:45 PM   #673
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

Doom at 30 fps? No thank you!

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Sep 22, 2017, 02:07 PM   #674
Mangler
PC

A portable doom 2016 is still pretty neat.
Old Sep 22, 2017, 02:28 PM   #675
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

Quote:
A portable doom 2016 is still pretty neat.
Yeah, neat would be the word. Hopefully they sell enough copies to actually spend more money to bring games to the switch that are way more optimized.

logical is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2017, 06:05 PM   #676
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
Yeah, neat would be the word. Hopefully they sell enough copies to actually spend more money to bring games to the switch that are way more optimized.
It's prolly as optimized as it can get on the platform!

Don't get me wrong, it's amazing they're able to do it at all, and if I had no other way to play the game I'd prolly go for it on Switch.

But for me, the 60fps is a really critical feature. If I can choose any other platform for Doom at 60fps, I'll take that instead of the Switch version. For this game in particular, the 60fps is more important to me than the portability.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Sep 25, 2017, 02:07 AM   #677
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Rumour is that is its 720p docked and undockednwith. No differences if that's the case then it's not massively optimised.

I'd probably get it but I want snapmap, couldn't give two shits about multiplayer but no snap map and the 60 price tag is the deal breaker for me. Might get it when it's on the cheap.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:18 AM   #678
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

SirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin DieselSirBaron exchanges holiday cards with Vin Diesel

Quote:
Switch US physical SW sales are on pace to be the biggest ever for a Nintendo platform launch year since '95, by a fairly large margin.
Biggest physical software sales on switch for Nintendo since 1995 when tracking began.

Nintendo is dead, going 3rd party etc etc
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:28 AM   #679
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Meteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppersMeteor_of_War has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Saw this yesterday and thought it was funny:

Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:29 AM   #680
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

Jet.com still has switches in stock from yesterday. I was tempted to pick one up, but there's still no games that I'm super excited about. I'll prolly pick one up sometime next year.

Honestly if Splatoon had splitscreen I'd prolly have jumped in.

PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:49 AM   #681
Meteor_of_War
USA-holes

Last few times I stopped into local Target and Walmart they were stocked with several Switches. Definitely easy to get now.

I was planning to go for the Mario Odyssey bundle but when I found out it comes with a digital version of the game it kind of soured me to that idea. I want all physical games for consoles. The way I see it if you are any kind of collector and care about the value of your games in the future you are stupid to get games in digital form.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:52 AM   #682
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

What annoys me is when I buy a indie game then few months later it comes on physical aka shantae half genie hero etc.
Old Sep 28, 2017, 06:32 PM   #683
BababooeyHTJ
Radeon Arctic Islands

BababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird singsBababooeyHTJ knows why the caged bird sings

So, did anyone here pick up golf story?
BababooeyHTJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 28, 2017, 11:00 PM   #684
Omega53
Rage veteran

Omega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppersOmega53 has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by BababooeyHTJ View Post
So, did anyone here pick up golf story?
I plan on it
Omega53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2017, 06:22 AM   #685
SirBaron
Hallowed are the Ori

I did, it's Golf is deeper than I was expecting. Pretty decent so far, but only played couple of hours.
Old Sep 29, 2017, 06:42 AM   #686
The PyroPath
Qualified Thread Killer

The PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird singsThe PyroPath knows why the caged bird sings

If they could now just get rid of the delayed schedule of ports, that would be awesome. I'm constantly contemplating if I should get another console to play certain games. Now these games are starting to come over to switch but with a great delay. I didn't buy it for the portable aspect at first, but I'm greatly enjoying short game sessions on the couch with my girlfriend watching TV and taking it on vacation. Brought it from The Netherlands to Bali(Indonesia), UK and Curacao. Didn't touch my tablet or the in-flight entertainment for any of these trips...
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:01 AM   #687
logical
What is my purpose?

logical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pmlogical achieves Nirvana on Tuesdays at 4:00pm

The switch has been shelved until Mario Odyssey comes out for me.

Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:02 AM   #688
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

I still don't see the point of getting one. It doesn't seem like there are any games available.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600
Corsair CX750M
Lian Li Lancool II Mesh
Logtech G703 Mouse/Logitech G915 Keyboard
OverclockN' is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:03 AM   #689
logical
What is my purpose?

Quote:
Originally Posted by OverclockN' View Post
I still don't see the point of getting one. It doesn't seem like there are any games available.
LOZ: Breath of the Wild is reason enough to get this console IMO.

Old Sep 29, 2017, 10:27 AM   #690
OverclockN'
Radeon Arctic Islands

OverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwardsOverclockN' can recite pi backwards

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by logical View Post
LOZ: Breath of the Wild is reason enough to get this console IMO.
A buddy of mine has it and Zelda, and I disagree. I'll wait for more games.

i9 9900KF/Corsair H100i
Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
32GB G.Skill DDR3 3200
Corsair HX1000W
Corsair 600T Silver Edition
Corsair Nightsword Mouse/Logitech G15 Keyboard
LG CX 48"

i5 3570k/OEM Cooler
Asus Sabretooth Z77
Asus ROG 1080Ti Strix
16GB G.Skill DDR3 2600