Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old May 17, 2008, 05:46 AM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
TNTIcemanTNT
Gift of the Gab

TNTIcemanTNT is still being judged by the masses

Default Bit of a Dilemma

Hi Guys,

I sorta wanted to just get this off my chest, and see your comments and thoughts.

Well basically, I work in a Large scale confering company in the heart of London, started about 7 months ago. Its basically a telesales job to corporate clients, but not like the boiler room sales call centres you see etc. We develop events for CEO level and equivalnt Military ranks for all sorts of different markets, and I am one of the employees who has to sell the delegate places for each event. The money there is pretty dam good, you get basic, then roughly 10% of each deal you make, with each deal averaging around 2,500-3000 pounds.

Now this is where the dilemma comes in. I have been working there for about 7 months now, been trained up by a top notch manager, one who has really helped me with my natural talents, pitching styles, urgency etc into being so sucessful at the job(out of around 10 new starters im the only one still left and bringing in more revenue than more experienced members). About a month ago, the Senior Director who actually produced the conference, agenda and other things left the company for a larger, more profitable competitor firm, which is worldwide, however she went to the Dubai offices. I didnt know this lady that well, but she had commended me several times on my pitching skills, records and general sucess at the job.

I recieved an anonymous call from her a few weeks ago essentially asking if I was open to going out to Dubai. Following that, we have had several discussions and the wheel is sent in motion. Essentially, I would be a fool to turn this down, several benefits include: Tax free over in Dubai, she is very experienced, I would be involved in emerging markets, making substantially more than I am making currently, even though I am making alot already for my age.

So basically, I am stuck in a rut. I want to do this, I want to gout to Dubai, the money is going to be insane, and I am very confident that I will suceed over there. But.....

This guy who took me in, managed me, has literally moulded me and made me the guy I am in the job. Sure you would expect this, as he is my manager. Its not that hes just moulded me, were great friends as well, and its been a pleasure working for him.

I just feel as though I am stabbing him the back so hard for even going along with this. I havent told anyone at the firm, which of course I wont at any stage do, as essentially I have been headhunted by a competitor firm. I feel very proud to have been approached by this lady, and a number of reasons contribute to why I shoudl leave such as not enough career potential where I currently am. So this job in Dubai has many things going in its favour, which to be honest I am certain I am going to go to.\

However, literally every morning, when i go to work, Its like this massive burden on my head, no one suspects a thing, not just my manager, but my excellent colleagues etc. I suppose money comes higher up on my priorites than actual freindships with colleagues at work etc.

Just though I would get this off my chest, considering what to do, I will probably go out there as this is too good an opportunity to miss, but it is a bit of a ***** on my self-being!

Cheers,

TNTIcemanTNT
Old May 17, 2008, 06:04 AM   #2
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Think long and hard about what you think is going to make you happier in the long run: Getting the extra money, even in the face of shifting shop, or staying where you are with the colleagues you already know (and hopefully trust).

Whilst nothing in life is certain, which job has the better long-term haul for you? I mean in security, the job not suddenly falling through for whatever reason, and so forth? Have you researched this new position thoroughly?

Right now, you have no "enemies" as such. If you decline the job in Dubai, you aren't going to make an enemy there because you have job security where you are, and it's just that: An offer. However, to go to Dubai you risk undermining the relationship and security you currently have.

A good way to judge just how "true to you" your current job is, you would have to take quite a large risk: If it were I, I would actually approach your current manager, as a friend first and employee second, and come clean with him. Tell him about the offer, why it's more attractive to you (if it truly is, think about it first), and exactly how you would feel about leaving the current job you have. As your boss, he's not going to be happy, but as your friend he should at least appreciate the reasons you give, assuming they are good enough. If he is a true friend of any sort, he will give you the option of choosing without short-changing you in the future. If he's not, you should expect any (fringe) benefits you were receiving now to rather abruptly slow or vanish completely; as a boss, if an employee gives the impression of jumping ship, they have to do right by the company first.

Don't be too quick to abandon a job that you are both happy and secure in. If you were in a crap job, it would be a no-brainer. But as important as money is in life, it's also important to have the right friends in the right places. Once again, I'll say nothing in life is certain; something could happen tomorrow that could see your current job go tits-up. If the choice is so evenly matched to make, then do this simple thing:

Take a coin, say heads to new job and tails to the current job, and flip it. Before it lands, you'll know which side you want to see come up. If you already know what you want before the coin lands, don't even look at it, and just do it.

Good luck.
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 06:39 AM   #3
TNTIcemanTNT
Gift of the Gab

TNTIcemanTNT is still being judged by the masses

Thanks for the excellent help OzzieBloke.

Yes its a tough decision. To go in to more detail, I have done lots of research and various things like cost of living out there, how big the expat community is etc, culture.

It really does have a lot in favour, in this sort of job, skill helps but its more so of how long you have been in a company which results in more leads being passed your way etc. If I was to tell my manager, yes your right I would presume allleads, enquiries etc passing my way would drop to 0, as lets face it, my manager is a great friend, but he makes commission out of what I and my colleagues sell.

Why is it so attractive over there, its an emerging market, IF i can get my foot in the door early on the future could be very nice indeed. I am going to go ahead with it, i tried that coin flip, and well you were right. I need to think about my self first in this situation rather than others. Providing I actually suceed, I beleive the future will be very good indeed, and crucially, I think that the position and potential at the job in Dubai will offer this, a long term developing future.

I coudl go on for hours, each side has pros and cons, but hell im young, im doing well, Im gonna go for it....its just when I tell this guy im resigning in late June, its going to literally a heart wrenching thing to say.

It was compeltely out of the blue when i recieved that call, I was dedicated had a career path set up etc, thats what my manager still thinks Im doing, but hey... I guess life is full of crossroads.
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old May 17, 2008, 06:44 AM   #4
OzzieBloke
& OzzieDogs

OzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English ChannelOzzieBloke once jumped the English Channel

Best of luck then

Oh, and when you do quit, get your manager/friend you will be leaving behind a nice, expensive bottle of wine and a thank-you card. Just a suggestion
OzzieBloke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 07:16 AM   #5
lumpyhed
Radeon Arctic Islands

lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'lumpyhed once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Can you get your manager a spot over there too?
lumpyhed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 07:25 AM   #6
Kraven
Stafoo!

Kraven is still being judged by the masses

Think main thing might be if you can see yourself living rest of life in Dubai?

Its a big change from little England. Do whats best for you

Yeah some quote goes here...

Kraven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 11:40 AM   #7
Darkz0r
Italian Brazilian Rager

Darkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDarkz0r can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Heh, I'm glad you decided to take on the offer.

Honestly I thought only people here in Brazil were so "attached" to people.
Profession != Personal
It's like beign in scholl and thinking your class mates are your real friends. No, they are just there because it's a common activity and it's better treating everyone well and talking about stuff, but face it, when the course is over you'll hardly maintain contact with anyone.

If he's such a really good friend he'll understand.

Still it's as Ozzie said, you never know what will happen, specially since your job is nice.
But progress (or decline) comes from changing. Most people I met kept changing companies until they are in high positions today.

Theres a guy that was working at a major US Sound company and knew lots of other companies world wide from fairs and events, then one day a company from Europe approached him and said "I'll double your pay and pay in Euros".
Nedless to say he moved.
The important is too keep moving forward! Best of luck, I'll be going to London soon and I hope to get a nice paying job of 3k as well! That would be nice.
Old May 17, 2008, 05:52 PM   #8
Drunken Janitor
Blistering Barnacles!

Drunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyDrunken Janitor can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by OzzieBloke View Post

Take a coin, say heads to new job and tails to the current job, and flip it. Before it lands, you'll know which side you want to see come up. If you already know what you want before the coin lands, don't even look at it, and just do it.

Good luck.
That's what I do for a lot of things.
i5 4670 Haswell <> Gigabyte radeon 280x <> 8 gigs of some ram that happened to be on sale that week <> Asus Z87-K <> Some DVD burner that has been used for 3-4 computers - might be a pioneer <> Winblows 10 Now!
Drunken Janitor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old May 17, 2008, 05:59 PM   #9
Zero
Sass hole

Zero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English ChannelZero once jumped the English Channel

You lost me at pitching skills

Seriously, go for what will make you better in the long run and stop worrying about "stabbing" anyone in the back. Business is business.

please refrain from telling other forum members to "Go eat a buffet of dicks." in the future.

Thank you.

Regards,
mad"
Zero is offline   Reply With Quote