Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Community and Site Discussions » Off Topic Lounge
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

Off Topic Lounge Discuss anything you want here folks. A place for computer junkies to boldly post Off Topic... Rant and rave if it is necessary, but just try to keep it clean!

Old Sep 21, 2006, 08:55 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Unhappy Our neighbor just got a pitbull

Yes, one of our neighbors just got a pitbull. We've let our boys (~1yr old & ~3yr old) play over there sometimes but no more. I'm now eyeing the open knotholes in the fence knowing that I will soon need to replace those fence boards.

Is some of the reputation pitbulls have earned unjust? Probably. But there are some risks not worth taking, and I simply can't figure out why anyone would get a dog that has such a reputation when there are so many other breeds available.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:01 PM   #2
Cowzrul
Dazed and Confused

Cowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling freshCowzrul kills 99.99% of germs and leaves hands feeling fresh

My girlfriend's family has a pit bull, and despite it having been kidnapped at least twice and fought by retarded rednecks that are into that kinda thing, he has never bitten a person, and is an incredibly nice animal. (nurture vs. nature discussion coming soon, I can feel it)
Cowzrul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:13 PM   #3
Jamar
Pew Pew Pew

Jamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyJamar can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

You have to do what you feel best protects your kids. I'm sure your neighbor will understand. With your kids you can't really afford to take chances.
Jamar is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:17 PM   #4
Lupine
Administrator

Lupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at bestLupine considers Jack Bauer an amateur at best

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cowzrul View Post
My girlfriend's family has a pit bull, and despite it having been kidnapped at least twice and fought by retarded rednecks that are into that kinda thing, he has never bitten a person, and is an incredibly nice animal. (nurture vs. nature discussion coming soon, I can feel it)
I know what you're saying and perhaps 95% with 95% of the pitbulls you'd be right. But IF a pitbull is mean, gets provoked, or whatever they simply won't let go and the statistics are grim. Because of that, I myself will never own one (or another breed that has a bad rep) nor will I allow my family to be around one. It simply isn't worth the risk, regardless of how small that actually is.

EDIT: especially considering that they are accustomed to our dog, a labrador retriever, who is the most gentle dog I've been around. Heck, even the neighborhood cats intimidate Chloe lol. The point is that they assume that all dogs are like her and will put up with anything, so they would have zero hesitation at doing something that might set a less gentle dog off. Its one thing that they're not afraid of bees - eventually one will sting them and they'll learn a painful but non-lethal lesson. Dogs can be a vastly different story.

Last edited by Lupine : Sep 21, 2006 at 09:19 PM.
Lupine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:19 PM   #5
wonder squirrel
Godlike

wonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete strangerwonder squirrel once held a door open for a complete stranger

Its an individual basis judgement. Sorta like wonder squirrels ya know. You pick and choose.

Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:22 PM   #6
SubCog
Radeon Arctic Islands

SubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwardsSubCog can recite pi backwards

I think a big part of the problem is that alot of the people who are attracted to pitbulls also think its funny to abuse their dog.

Ryzen 2600x - Radeon 580 - 16 gigs memory

NES, SNES, N64, Gamecube, Wii, Wii U, Switch, Gameboy, Gameboy Pocket, Gameboy Color, Virtual Boy, 6 GBAs, DS, 3ds
Sega Master System, Genesis, 32x, Sega CD, Saturn, Dreamcast, Game Gear
PS1, PS2, PS3, PS4, PSP
og xbox, xbox360, xbone
Atari 2600, 7800
Neo Geo Pocket Color

riva tnt
tnt2
32 meg geforce2mx
kyro 2
radeon8500
radeon9600
radeon9800pro
radeon x800pro
geforce 8800gtx
radeon 6850
radeon 280
radeon 580
SubCog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:23 PM   #7
**G.I.BRO**
Berwip crawna-wi pinibon

**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel**G.I.BRO** once jumped the English Channel

I would protect my fam and such if that ever happened to me. These dogs are just to unpredictable. Better safe than sorry.
**G.I.BRO** is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:26 PM   #8
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

good move lupy...

Quote:
Originally Posted by HyperNovae View Post
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Hyrax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:36 PM   #9
caveman-jim
Deposed King of Rage3D

caveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badgescaveman-jim doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Keep the lupkids away from the pitbull
caveman-jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:42 PM   #10
Scott
I like my backyard

Scott is still being judged by the masses

Lupi watch yourself and the family. Not because it's going to kill you or the kids, but because you cannot count on it not to. After hearing about all the attacks and maimings there is simply no good reason to tempt fate like that. Around here a pitbull attacked and wound up killing it's own of many years after he was playfully poking at his wife in the driveway. Setting off a loose cannon like that doesn't need to be a hostile provocation, you could accidentaly trigger it's protective nature as well.

I got a pair of tweezers, a can of air, and some bacardi :\

-
sittal
Scott is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 09:53 PM   #11
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

The pitbul was bred to kill, I can't see what kind of argument you can make to say that it's "calm".
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:11 PM   #12
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Hyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultyHyrax can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerick View Post
The pitbul was bred to kill, I can't see what kind of argument you can make to say that it's "calm".
That's true, but it's not like that...
It did not choose to be that way. It's just cause they bulldogs started humping roweilers we got this problem..

There was a guy in NYC that kept a pet alligator and a pet tiger... IIRC, he was just fine...

IMO
pitbull is to dog

as

tiger is to cat

simple grammar school logic.

Lupy?
you said you knew the neighbors? They are nice people right? I suggest voice them your concerns. And perhaps they can hel[ keep your children safe

Quote:
Origin says if you are benchmarking or something to just call and they will help you out. God the horror, those poor souls. This is the type of orwellian nightmare Alex Jones told me about.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:13 PM   #13
clerick
tfw

clerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwardsclerick can recite pi backwards

Get a husky to protect your kids
clerick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:15 PM   #14
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
Originally Posted by clerick View Post
Get a husky to protect your kids
in the movie white fang, that doggie lost to the pitbull

Quote:
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:23 PM   #15
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

If your neighbors get ANY pet you should sew up your fencing. take no risks when it comes to your spawn.

(also: wtf? this is like the 15th thread you made today!)

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:45 PM   #16
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Board up your fence IMMEDIATELY. Take NO chances. I speak as a father of 2 (3 soon.) I would never risk my children on "Well, he was the sweetest dog! Never bit ANYBODY before" that I hear after every pitbull attack.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:51 PM   #17
Lupine
Administrator

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slacker2003 View Post
Board up your fence IMMEDIATELY. Take NO chances. I speak as a father of 2 (3 soon.) I would never risk my children on "Well, he was the sweetest dog! Never bit ANYBODY before" that I hear after every pitbull attack.
Indeed. I'm sad that they can't go over there anymore (they adore the 10yr old neighbor girl who wanted the dumb dog) and its been great to have a neighbor we can trust to watch the kids. I must say, I no longer have any sadness and/or regrets that we're planning to sell and find a bigger house sometime this winter/spring.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:57 PM   #18
Hyrax
Rage3D Spammer

Quote:
OT

I don't like your avatar.... reminds me of fourior series :shudders:

/ot

Quote:
Old Sep 21, 2006, 10:58 PM   #19
A2597
A Peculiar Person

A2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird singsA2597 knows why the caged bird sings

pitbulls, when raised in a good home, are some of the friendliest dogs around!

Honestly, I'd get my kids around that dog so much that it grows up thinking of those kids as siblings and protects them!

Pitbulls are good dogs, the media portrays them in a bad light, and I'll say that most of the time, if the pit bull bites someone it had an owner that trained it to do that. (Maybe not intentionally, but abused it, or something along those lines)

But you are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people; that you should show forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light.
1 Peter 2:9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vengeance View Post
:heart: I took a few weeks off, but Rage is like a home away from home.
A2597 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:11 PM   #20
RFtinkerer
Not with it

RFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRFtinkerer doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hyrax View Post
OT

I don't like your avatar.... reminds me of fourior series :shudders:

/ot
Fourier series? What's that?

RF rules, digital drools. Unfortunately...I have to work with both.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:15 PM   #21
RFtinkerer
Not with it

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
pitbulls, when raised in a good home, are some of the friendliest dogs around!

Honestly, I'd get my kids around that dog so much that it grows up thinking of those kids as siblings and protects them!

Pitbulls are good dogs, the media portrays them in a bad light, and I'll say that most of the time, if the pit bull bites someone it had an owner that trained it to do that. (Maybe not intentionally, but abused it, or something along those lines)
I hear that all the time too. And I hear about pitbull attacks all the time, at least one a week around my area. Something is off, and I say better safe than mauled/dead child.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:16 PM   #22
Roxen
Drunk sexy prick

Roxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badgesRoxen doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
"Well, he was the sweetest dog! Never bit ANYBODY before" that I hear after every pitbull attack.
Because that's definately only something you hear from pitbull attacks.
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:18 PM   #23
Skynet
Banned

Skynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppersSkynet has a basement full of buried neg-reppers

Quote:
Originally Posted by A2597 View Post
Any dog can and will bite given the right conditions. The big difference is, when a pit bites or gets angry, it has the ability to kill more than most other dogs. Combine that with the fact the pit bull has been known to snap for NO REASON and attack, being extra careful about the breed is justified IMO.

If I was in Lupine's situation I would do the same thing.
Skynet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 21, 2006, 11:47 PM   #24
rayzian
brokestatus

rayzian is still being judged by the masses

Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:27 AM   #25
villain4hire
Banned

villain4hire is still being judged by the masses

Time to put barbwire on your fence!
villain4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 12:51 AM   #26
sittal
Radeon Arctic Islands

sittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficultysittal can beat 'Minesweeper' on any difficulty

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skynet View Post
Any dog can and will bite given the right conditions. The big difference is, when a pit bites or gets angry, it has the ability to kill more than most other dogs. Combine that with the fact the pit bull has been known to snap for NO REASON and attack, being extra careful about the breed is justified IMO.

If I was in Lupine's situation I would do the same thing.
Its not just dogs, hell I have goats that bite the neighborhood kids (well.. i tell them to do that...) my guineas regularly attack the neighbor kids, and they love it, ever see a bird fly at you and then run away? funny as hell, and they chase them away! the kids wait for the guineas to go into their yard, they'll chase them for 20-30 minutes and get tired. no one gets hurt, and the guineas eat crickets and ticks!
Anyway, point it, ANY animal/human is dangerous ESPECIALLY if you have a hole in your fence, my god man! someone could just crawl in and take your kids!

Learn to embed videos in your posts, highlight text, and even post code!
sittal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 01:07 AM   #27
Soong
Radeon Caribbean Islands

Soong is still being judged by the masses

I’ve never met a nice pit-bull. I think the breed should be exterminated or at least they should all be made infertile so there are no more in the future.
Soong is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 01:31 AM   #28
villain4hire
Banned

villain4hire is still being judged by the masses

The thing with pitbulls owners saying their pitbull is always nice and never bites.....well no **** it never gets aggressive around them because they adore their owners..... the problem is when a pitbull gets loose on strangers.. it has the capacity to kill. Other dogs biting a person is different than a pitbull biting a person because a pitbull doesn't just bite it mauls.
villain4hire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 01:33 AM   #29
squid
Cute

squid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird singssquid knows why the caged bird sings

could you ask your neighbours to put a muzzle on their dog?
squid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Sep 22, 2006, 03:43 AM   #30
rob75383
Venture Bros.

rob75383 is still being judged by the masses

I remember the story of a father who went next door, and stabbed his neighbor's dog with a kitchen knife. I guess the dog bit his young son (2-4 yrs old). I don't remember the details, but as a father, if any dog mauled my son, I'd kill it too. I wouldn't be able to convict the guy for retaliating against the dog. Now the father who killed the dog is facing jail time.

Again, I don't know the details, but if the dog was supervised, as well as the parents supervising their kid(where was the father while his kid was being mauled BTW?) this should have never happened.
Unfortunately, **** does happen.
I agree with many here, I have never met a pit-bull that acts like a labrador.

Better to be safe than sorry.
rob75383 is offline   Reply With Quote