Go Back   Rage3D » Rage3D Discussion Area » Gaming and Computing Forums » General Hardware
Rage3D Subscribe Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read

General Hardware Talk about PCs/Macs, motherboards, CPUs, sound cards, RAM, hard drives, networking and everything else about computer hardware!

Old Jun 11, 2006, 02:07 PM   #1
Advertisement (Guests Only)

Login or Register to remove this ad
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber
Default Conroe E6600 @ 3GHZ Opteron 165 @ 3GHZ, Who Will Win!?

http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=185555

benchmarks arent finished for conroe but damn it looks like its going to be a major win for conroe.
Dave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 03:55 PM   #2
-n7-
Radeon Arctic Islands

-n7- is still being judged by the masses

Good find.

I have no interest in the synthetic benches, but the games & video encoding testing i'm interested in.

I suspect there will be next to no improvement in games @ 1600x1200, but we'll see.

n7

n7
-n7- is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 11, 2006, 04:23 PM   #3
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
Originally Posted by -n7-
Good find.

I have no interest in the synthetic benches, but the games & video encoding testing i'm interested in.

I suspect there will be next to no improvement in games @ 1600x1200, but we'll see.
that totally depends what kind of graphic card u have... if u have an Geforce 4 then u would not see any improvments with conroe at 640x480 in Fear...
if u have a 7900GTX or SLI then I think u will also see improvments in high resolutions aswell

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement (Guests Only)
Login or Register to remove this ad
Old Jun 11, 2006, 05:58 PM   #4
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Dave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dialDave is on Chuck Norris' speed-dial

Subscriber

im thinking minimum fps will see the biggest boost. ofcourse maximum fps will see a big boost too but when your over 100fps in a game it doesnt really matter.
Old Jun 12, 2006, 03:37 AM   #5
Napoleonic
Radeon Arctic Islands

Napoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete strangerNapoleonic once held a door open for a complete stranger

from Anandtech's 2.93GHz Conroe vs 2.8GHz AM2, I'm sure Conroe will win by 5-15% with the same clockspeed
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:08 PM   #6
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

conroe 4 teh win

1600x1200, 4xAA 16xAF, all max

Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:18 PM   #7
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave
where are all the amd fanboys? come on come up with some bullshit excuse as to why conroe is way faster than the opteron? im waiting...8)
Get over yourself. Where has your beloved Intel been since the introduction of K8 family MPUs? Getting their asses handed to them, that's where. It only took 3 years for Intel to catch up, you must be proud
ShaidarHaran is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:20 PM   #8
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShaidarHaran
Get over yourself. Where has your beloved Intel been since the introduction of K8 family MPUs? Getting their asses handed to them, that's where. It only took 3 years for Intel to catch up, you must be proud
obviously designing this chip.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:20 PM   #9
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

a12ctic is still being judged by the masses

wow intel is finaly beating amd by a little, they needed to make a whole new chip to beat amd's current gen chips by 5-20% performance, in my opinion its another loss for intel... i cant wait for k8l to come and analate intels performance for another 4 years, pretty soon the conroe will seem as outdated as netburst
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:22 PM   #10
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'ShaidarHaran once won a refrigerator on 'The Price is Right'

Quote:
obviously designing this chip.
Nope Merom/Conroe/Woodcrest have only been in development since 2004, when Intel dediced to abandon the Netburst architecture. The design teams simply built off of existing designs (Banias Pentium M was the predecessor to MCW/NGMA).
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:25 PM   #11
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
Originally Posted by a12ctic
wow intel is finaly beating amd by a little, they needed to make a whole new chip to beat amd's current gen chips by 5-20% performance, in my opinion its another loss for intel... i cant wait for k8l to come and analate intels performance for another 4 years, pretty soon the conroe will seem as outdated as netburst
intel has new chips coming out to compete with your beloved k8l which is looking like its going to be delayed.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:33 PM   #12
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

what a intel fan boi, you cant deny that the conroe is a complete joke, intel has turned itself into a second rate company, they dont care about the user, sure, the conroe may be the performance king at the moment, but its just beating a 3+ year old chip, the current am2's arent next gen, its just a new socket with more efficient power, like the 754 and the 939.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:44 PM   #13
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
what a intel fan boi, you cant deny that the conroe is a complete joke, intel has turned itself into a second rate company, they dont care about the user, sure, the conroe may be the performance king at the moment, but its just beating a 3+ year old chip, the current am2's arent next gen, its just a new socket with more efficient power, like the 754 and the 939.
look who's talking.

what are we supposed to compare conroe too? amd's latest and greatest vs intel's latest greatest sounds damn fair to me. just like the geforce 7800gtx vs the x850xtpe was a fair comparison because ati had not released the x1800xt yet. same situation but different companies. im in the market for a new cpu and it just so happens intel is in the lead. i have a budget of $350ish for the processor and amd has nothing in that price range that competes with the intel core 2 duo E6600. closest thing amd has to compete performance wise with the e6600 is the amd fx62, no way am i about to spend $1,000 on an amd processor when I can get a intel processor for 1/3 the price that beats the $1,000 processor.

p.s: i dont know how you can call me an intel fanboy. I've always used amd processors with the exception of my pentium 1 66mhz in 1994, ever since then Ive only used AMD. Now it just so happens intel has what i want at the price im looking for.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:47 PM   #14
ShaidarHaran
Radeon Arctic Islands

This:
Quote:
where are all the amd fanboys? come on come up with some bullshit excuse as to why conroe is way faster than the opteron? im waiting...
= flamebait, and I shouldn't have taken it

Troll elsewhere.
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:50 PM   #15
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
look who's talking.

what are we supposed to compare conroe too? amd's latest and greatest vs intel's latest greatest sounds damn fair to me. just like the geforce 7800gtx vs the x850xtpe was a fair comparison because ati had not released the x1800xt yet. same situation but different companies. im in the market for a new cpu and it just so happens intel is in the lead. i have a budget of $350ish for the processor and amd has nothing in that price range that competes with the intel core 2 duo E6600. closest thing amd has to compete performance wise with the e6600 is the amd fx62, no way am i about to spend $1,000 on an amd processor when I can get a intel processor for 1/3 the price that beats the $1,000 processor.

p.s: i dont know how you can call me an intel fanboy. I've always used amd processors with the exception of my pentium 1 66mhz in 1994, ever since then Ive only used AMD. Now it just so happens intel has what i want at the price im looking for.
i never compared the 850 series to the 7900 series, you cant compare chips from different generations, its not fair

its not that they cant stand seeing intel in the lead, they just know itll be short lived and everyone is taking it way to far
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:52 PM   #16
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
i never compared the 850 series to the 7900 series, you cant compare chips from different generations, its not fair

its not that they cant stand seeing intel in the lead, they just know itll be short lived and everyone is taking it way to far
why is it not fair?

sounds like your saying that since intel released their new processor amd's gonna throw a tantrum and say "wait its not fair we're not ready wahhh"
Old Jun 14, 2006, 10:52 PM   #17
Vengeance
May 2, 1965 - April 21, 2008

Vengeance is still being judged by the masses

Quote:
where are all the amd fanboys? come on come up with some bullshit excuse as to why conroe is way faster than the opteron? im waiting...8)
2GB Crucial Ballistix DDR2 @ 800mhz 4-4-4-12 1T
Seagate Barracuda 320GB SATA2
PC Power & Cooling Turbo-Cool 1KW
COOLER MASTER Stacker Black Aluminum ATX Full Tower
Westinghouse 22in wide screen LCD @ 1680x1050

Report a bug with the NVIDIA graphics driver.
Vengeance is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:20 PM   #18
Vengeance

Had a talk with Dave and I deleted a few posts......lets keep the flame bait out of the thread and I'll leave it open......And Dave you pinky promised........ So it's going to be a week off if you break that pinky promise.

My little girl says its a very very bad thing to break a pinky promise....

Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:27 PM   #19
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
why is it not fair?

sounds like your saying that since intel released their new processor amd's gonna throw a tantrum and say "wait its not fair we're not ready wahhh"
do you compare pentium 3's and pentium 4's? current gen vs. last gen isnt a fair comparosin..
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:31 PM   #20
DivineUnknown
Radeon R420

DivineUnknown is still being judged by the masses

im sorry bud anyone that says this chip is a joke is the definition of fanboy, this chip doesnt barely beat the k8, it smashes into little pieces, its really not arguable.
ZALMAN CNP9500 HSF
ASUS A8232-MVP DELUXE
ATI RADEON X1950XTX & X1900XTX IN CROSSFIRE
CORSAIR XMS PC3200 2GB (2-3-2-5)
OCZ MODSTREAM 520W PSU
DivineUnknown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:32 PM   #21
a12ctic
Rage3D Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by DivineUnknown
im sorry bud anyone that says this chip is a joke is the definition of fanboy, this chip doesnt barely beat the k8, it smashes into little pieces, its really not arguable.
thats like saying the 7900GTX smashes the 7900GT, sure it beats it by about 10-20%, but it doesnt smash it...
Old Jun 14, 2006, 11:45 PM   #22
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

Quote:
do you compare pentium 3's and pentium 4's? current gen vs. last gen isnt a fair comparosin..
yes you could compare p3's to p4's assuming your running a p3 and debating a p4 upgrade. conroe i believe is intels 8th gen chip. amd 64 is amd's 8th gen chip. there goes your theory.
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:09 AM   #23
DaJMasta
Baffoonist

DaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badgesDaJMasta doesn't need no stinkin' badges

Quote:
yes you could compare p3's to p4's assuming your running a p3 and debating a p4 upgrade. conroe i believe is intels 8th gen chip. amd 64 is amd's 8th gen chip. there goes your theory.
It really dosen't matter what "generation" they're in. Count the start of the PC era and they've had triple the "generations" AMD has.

He's merely saying that the K8 architecture has been around for more than 2 years. It's not the brand new thing from AMD, we have to wait for K8L for that, so intel is finally catching up in that sense.

That being said, Intel fanboys now actually have something to brag about I think they're new architecture is great.... and it's about time they've had one.
Desktop: Intel Core i7 7770k : 16GB EVGA DDR4 2400 : Gigabyte GTX 1070 Ti Windforce X2 : Gigabyte GA-H270-WIFI : AudioQuest DragonFly DAC : Samsung SM961 NVMe 1TB SSD : Corsair Builder 500W PSU : Samsung 1440p 32" Monitor : Klipsch Promedia 2.1 : Windows 10 Pro x64
Tablet: Microsoft Surface Pro 4 : Intel Core i5-6300U : 8GB DDR3 : Intel 520 Integrated : 256GB SSD : 12.3" 2736x1824 display : Windows 10 Pro x64
HTPC: Intel Core i3 3225 : HD 4000 integrated : 8GB Samsung DDR3 1600 : Gigabyte H77N-Wifi : 120GB Sandisk Extreme SSD : 80W power brick and picoPSU150 XT : Integrated HD Audio : Scepter 32" LCD TV : Logitech Z313 2.1 : Windows 7 Pro x64

DaJMasta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 12:42 AM   #24
badboy
Merc with a mouth

badboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird singsbadboy knows why the caged bird sings

Quote:
thats like saying the 7900GTX smashes the 7900GT, sure it beats it by about 10-20%, but it doesnt smash it...
what the hell are u calling this then

Quote:
FEAR Stress Test:
1024x768, 4xAA 16xAF, all max:
Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 60 | Avg 142 | Max 370

Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 78 | Avg 162 | Max 485

Conroe @ Max Clocks:

1600x1200, 4xAA 16xAF, all max:
Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 25 | Avg 43 | Max 172

Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 53 | Avg 86 | Max 310

Conroe @ Max Clocks:
I call that smashing to pices.. it gets DOUBLE the fps at 1600x1200, 4xAA 16xAF, all max:

"I am against religion because it teaches us to be satisfied with not understanding the world." - Richard Dawkins

"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety." - Ben Franklin

"I'll happily keep risking it and enjoy my life" - Doozer

Luke: "God will make sure that evil gets punished"
Jason: "Oh yeah, then explain Europe to me?"
- True Blood
badboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 03:08 AM   #25
Martin3
Radeon R700

Martin3 is still being judged by the masses

It's impressive no one can deny that. I've been an AMD fan for about 6 years now. But the only reason I'm an AMD fan is because I'm also the best bang for the buck fan.

And after the price cuts next month it's looking like I'll still be an AMD fan
Martin3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 15, 2006, 04:12 AM   #26
Vengeance

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martin3
It's impressive no one can deny that. I've been an AMD fan for about 6 years now. But the only reason I'm an AMD fan is because I'm also the best bang for the buck fan.

And after the price cuts next month it's looking like I'll still be an AMD fan

Best post in this thread right here!

Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:47 AM   #27
DivineUnknown
Radeon R420

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy
what the hell are u calling this then

I call that smashing to pices.. it gets DOUBLE the fps at 1600x1200, 4xAA 16xAF, all max:

ZALMAN CNP9500 HSF
ASUS A8232-MVP DELUXE
OCZ MODSTREAM 520W PSU
Old Jun 15, 2006, 07:49 AM   #28
DivineUnknown
Radeon R420

my dual core opty clocked at 2.6 (fx-60) gets 1994 cpu points in 3dmark06, ive seen benches with a conroe getting 4000+. that is what i call smashing it to pieces
ZALMAN CNP9500 HSF
ASUS A8232-MVP DELUXE
OCZ MODSTREAM 520W PSU
Old Jun 15, 2006, 08:29 AM   #29
Anth Seebel

Anth Seebel is still being judged by the masses

lol il be moving from intel prescott to conroe. glad i missed the amd fluff.
3007WFP-HC
Anth Seebel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old Jun 16, 2006, 03:21 PM   #30
Dave
Radeon Arctic Islands

Subscriber

No performance gain in Call of Duty 2:

Call of Duty 2: Point DuHoc Assault until over the cliffs
1600x1200, 4xAA 8xAF, Everything Maximum
Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 23 | Avg 50.189 | Max 102

Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 22 | Avg 50.961 | Max 98
However, Oblivion is a completely different story

The Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion
1600x1200, Full HDR, 8xAF, Everything Maximum
This FRAPS run was taken from the very beginning of the game, up until the time that the king leaves you.
Opteron 165 @ 3GHz: Min 15 | Avg 83.993 | Max 689

Conroe @ 3GHz: Min 29 | Avg 132.776 | Max 1546
Double the minimum frame rate, and a nice 40fps boost in average frame rate.

I think the 4MB of cache is playing a big role here. Since the 2 cores in a conroe chip is capable of sharing each others cache (2MB per core).

Still very nice results.

Last edited by Dave : Jun 16, 2006 at 03:24 PM.